News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The Identification thread

Started by Takama, March 17, 2012, 04:57:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mattyonyx

Quote from: Fossilized-Rubber on December 22, 2023, 04:42:30 AMA search tells me it's a Kinder Surprise toy from 2002, sometimes listed as a baryonyx and sometimes as a plesiosaur/nothosaur, and you're missing the floor plate it came with.

In summary, a cute piece, based on its compatriots, it's almost certainly a nothosaur (or, more likely for 2002, a very badly modelled plesiosaur). Its current list price ranges from one euro to 50 rubles.

Believe it or not, officially it's a Baryonyx.

cryolophosaurus

Quote from: Mattyonyx on December 22, 2023, 09:24:17 PM
Quote from: Fossilized-Rubber on December 22, 2023, 04:42:30 AMA search tells me it's a Kinder Surprise toy from 2002, sometimes listed as a baryonyx and sometimes as a plesiosaur/nothosaur, and you're missing the floor plate it came with.

In summary, a cute piece, based on its compatriots, it's almost certainly a nothosaur (or, more likely for 2002, a very badly modelled plesiosaur). Its current list price ranges from one euro to 50 rubles.

Poor baryonyx got pancaked.

Duna

Quote from: Mattyonyx on December 22, 2023, 09:24:17 PMBelieve it or not, officially it's a Baryonyx.
I've shown the pic to my 7 year old daughters and one said it's a plesiosaurus and the other said that it looked like the one that has the fish (the Invicta baryonyx), so she has very good imagination! :))

Halichoeres

Quote from: LucasLiu on December 20, 2023, 06:25:32 PMWhat is the pachycephalosaurus a knockoff of?

I'm not certain it is a knockoff, but the pose is similar to the original 2004 Pachycephalosaurus by Favorite Co. https://dinotoyblog.com/pachycephalosaurus-soft-model-series-1-by-kinto-favorite/
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

HubertOp

Quote from: Mattyonyx on December 22, 2023, 09:24:17 PM

Thanks. Gotta be my new favourite Baryonyx. I thought about buying CollectA's but having this one I dont see the point.

Needsomehelp

I was hoping someone could help me identify this triceratops toy. I've had no luck so far. It has some type of 'armor' on it, and on the front legs some type of leg irons with six links of chain on them (like it broke free). On the bottom of the right rear foot is the code A5340 (this is the only mark of any kind that I could see). The legs are moveable. On the underside there are eight recessed screws. On top there is a 'pull towards the rear' type of button that causes the mouth to open slightly and the head to come forward and turn slightly. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Halichoeres

N @Needsomehelp that's a Ninja Turtles Paleo Patrol figure, by Playmates. Sorry for the late reply.

Edited to add this link: https://www.figurerealm.com/actionfigure?action=actionfigure&id=15799
and also my congratulations on figuring out the slightly cumbersome image posting procedure on the first try!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Needsomehelp

Wow, thanks. That sure is what it is. You can't imagine how long I've tried to figure that out. I really appreciate the ID. And no worries about the lateness, I'm thrilled to finally find out what it is!

Could I ask for another ID, while we're on Triceratops? The head and legs are moveable. The color is kinda tan or orangish/tan, but across the top it's more gray/bluish gray. There are three screws that go in on the right side. On the back is some kind of area where it looks like a rider or something can attach. The center part of that pushes down and is spring-loaded. There are no ID markings of any kind.

Thanks, again, in advance.

As for the posting, it was a little tricky, but the image mistake was mine. I posted links for the image pages and not the images themselves.  :P

Cretaceous Crab

Quote from: Needsomehelp on January 22, 2024, 12:23:21 AMCould I ask for another ID, while we're on Triceratops? The head and legs are moveable. The color is kinda tan or orangish/tan, but across the top it's more gray/bluish gray. There are three screws that go in on the right side. On the back is some kind of area where it looks like a rider or something can attach. The center part of that pushes down and is spring-loaded. There are no ID markings of any kind.

As for the posting, it was a little tricky, but the image mistake was mine. I posted links for the image pages and not the images themselves.  :P

That would be "Urma" the elderly Styracosaurus from the 2000 film Dinosaur from Disney.

Needsomehelp

Quote from: Cretaceous Crab on January 22, 2024, 01:01:57 AM
Quote from: Needsomehelp on January 22, 2024, 12:23:21 AMCould I ask for another ID, while we're on Triceratops? The head and legs are moveable. The color is kinda tan or orangish/tan, but across the top it's more gray/bluish gray. There are three screws that go in on the right side. On the back is some kind of area where it looks like a rider or something can attach. The center part of that pushes down and is spring-loaded. There are no ID markings of any kind.

That would be "Urma" the elderly Styracosaurus from the 2000 film Dinosaur from Disney.

Wow, again, I can't believe the knowledge at this forum. Thanks once again. I appreciate all the help. I wish I would have found this forum before I spent so much time trying to figure these two out...

I also wanted to clarify something so I don't seem as clueless as I do in the last post. When I said "Could I ask for another ID, while we're on Triceratops?" I really should have said "...while we're on horned, frilled dinosaurs in the same family?". I'm not an expert by any means, but I am aware of basic taxonomy, and didn't think this was a Triceratops.  :)

Halichoeres

Glad you've been finding the forum useful!

DrunkAnteosaurus

Found this guy on mercari, he looks like a Battat Ceratosaurus? But I'm not fully sure

May be a quick grab to expand my Battat collection
New to paleoart and sculpting, but really trying to learn more! If you have any requests lmk!

Libraraptor

Yes, it seems like it is the Battat Ceratosaurus avatar_DrunkAnteosaurus @DrunkAnteosaurus. Good luck!

Fembrogon

Correct, avatar_DrunkAnteosaurus @DrunkAnteosaurus - specifically, that would be the Terra reissue from 2015-present, as opposed to the original green Boston Museum release. It's a solid Ceratosaurus figure!

JediDonald

Dear fans,

When I was little, in early 90s, in French super market, I was offered the two following hard plastic 3.5cm wide dinosaurs.

There is no brand, they are a bit stylized but intriguing to my eyes. I have a Trex and a Stegosaurus. I was even able to find another Trex on eBay but unable to gather new info about the range of dinos produced.

Could you help me identify this collection with your knowledge ?

Thanks !!

Halichoeres

J @JediDonald I don't think I've seen these exact figures before, but they are very similar to the Panosh "Dino Mites" and "Dino Brites" figures, except that those came in a much brighter set of colors. They were available in other formats in Europe, which I know less about, including in Italy under the name Coccodino. These molds don't look quite identical, and as I said the colors certainly aren't. So I don't have a definitive answer for you, but that might give you a starting point. avatar_Duna @Duna knows more about figures like these than I do and might be able to shed some light.

Blackdanter

Quote from: crazy8wizard on November 09, 2023, 05:03:09 PMYesterday I was browsing Aliexpress and found this box of knockoff dinosaur figures. While I recognize all the rest of these, what is the origin of this sauropod figure?

Looks like a Safari Carnegie or Schleich Saltasaurus.

Duna

Quote from: Halichoeres on January 27, 2024, 08:52:12 PMJ @JediDonald I don't think I've seen these exact figures before, but they are very similar to the Panosh "Dino Mites" and "Dino Brites" figures, except that those came in a much brighter set of colors. They were available in other formats in Europe, which I know less about, including in Italy under the name Coccodino. These molds don't look quite identical, and as I said the colors certainly aren't. So I don't have a definitive answer for you, but that might give you a starting point. avatar_Duna @Duna knows more about figures like these than I do and might be able to shed some light.
Yes, I agree, they are certainly the Dino Mites or Dino Brites molds.I have a small bag of them and they were offered in lots of articles, in Spain even in icecream eggs.

crazy8wizard

Quote from: Blackdanter on January 28, 2024, 08:42:49 AMLooks like a Safari Carnegie or Schleich Saltasaurus.
Definitely not that. The Carnegie Collection Saltasaurus has a rounder back, a smoother head, and completely different hands and feet. The pose is a little similar though.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Duna on January 28, 2024, 01:29:26 PMYes, I agree, they are certainly the Dino Mites or Dino Brites molds.I have a small bag of them and they were offered in lots of articles, in Spain even in icecream eggs.

Thanks for confirming!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: