News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

HAOLONGGOOD - New For 2023

Started by vampiredesign, November 28, 2022, 07:00:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: dragon53 on December 30, 2023, 05:48:37 AMBLADE-OF-THE-MOON:

Thanks---I was hoping Lana Time gave you some updated shipping cost info since I assume you ordered yours recently.

I hope the production A version is the one with the blue and purple on the spine instead of the basic blue someone recently posted. I emailed them via their website two days ago about the color scheme and got no reply.

Yeah I just ordered tonight. Basically they can't say yet as they don't have one in box to weigh and measure is my guess.

When you use the drop down menu to make a selection the photo will change to show exactly which one you are ordering.

postsaurischian

Quote from: Carnoking on December 30, 2023, 05:43:01 AMEach option has its pros and cons and I'm sure I'm in the minority here with my nitpicks and indecisiveness but I just look at this teaser here and think what an easy choice that would have been if the entire figure looked that vibrant, clean, and cohesive.

Quote from: postsaurischian on December 24, 2023, 05:27:56 PM

I agreee with you here. The new paint schemes seem a bit overkeen to me.
 It's a pity they condemned this purple & orange watercolor style pattern. I loved it.

dragon53

Lana Time says for the Haolonggog Alamosaurus and the free base/pterosaur offer:

"Ordering before December 30, 2023, you will receive 1 x painted version of the base + 1 x  unpainted version of the Pterosaur (dynamically random) for free. For orders placed after December 30, 2023, an additional $15 will be required to receive both complimentary items."

So that covers "before December 30" and "after December 30", so I started a chat with Lana time to clarify if the free base/pterosaur offer is valid ON December 30......and so far, no reply.

Flaffy

Like a couple of members here I vastly prefer the original purple colour scheme to the finalised version.

Faelrin

New pics of the Sinoceratops are up on the Amazon page now:

Zhu Tong (blue):

Spoiler

[close]
Lei Heng (brown):

Spoiler

[close]
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Quiversaurus

One thing (apart from the other stellar aspects other commenters have already mentioned) that impresses me is the level of detail the Sinoceratops has in its mouth. The pictures only allow a certain level of visibility because of the shadows, but that tongue and the depth that is depicted really sets it apart from other herbivore models imo. I don't recall a PNSO model with this amount of detail in an open herbivorous mouth (please correct me if I'm wrong), and if that's the case, HLG really have set themselves apart here.

(Edit: I forgot about PNSO's Triceratops and Torosaurus with articulated jaws - those are things of beauty!)

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the seamline at the neck was needed to allow this particular feature to be added - in which case I think it's a small price to pay!

SidB

I like the expressive tilt to its head. One can read several emotions into that, IMO.

SidB

Just ordered the blue Sinoceratops from Lana. to keep the Kosmoceratops company on its journey over from China.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Oh hey, I just found out there's a nyctosaurid called Alamodactylus! So I guess that's what the pterosaurs included with the Alamosaurus base must be!
I keep hearing vague statements about "undescribed nyctosaurs" noted throughout the world at the End Cretaceous, but I didn't realize any of them had been named besides Barbaridactylus!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alamodactylus

dragon53

I tried to preorder the Alamosaurus on Lana Time this Saturday morning and the website had technical problems. I finally managed to place a preorder after several hours.
I probably missed the free base/pterosaurs because I placed the order on Saturday, December 30, but the preorder is listed as December 31 on my account on Lana time's web site.....the free base/pterosaurs may depend on if "before December 30' and "after December 30" refers to my time zone or Lana Time's time zone.

Did anyone else have checkout problems?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: dragon53 on December 31, 2023, 04:11:23 AMI tried to preorder the Alamosaurus on Lana Time this Saturday morning and the website had technical problems. I finally managed to place a preorder after several hours.
I probably missed the free base/pterosaurs because I placed the order on Saturday, December 30, but the preorder is listed as December 31 on my account on Lana time's web site.....the free base/pterosaurs may depend on if "before December 30' and "after December 30" refers to my time zone or Lana Time's time zone.

Did anyone else have checkout problems?

No issues here when I ordered. Did you signup with an account at Lana? If not it's free and it helps see your status and view tracking details.

thomasw100

Some in hand photos of the Sinoceratops have appeared on Paleofiguras Facebook page. Unfortunately, the seamline at the head is clearly visible in side view and one even sees a displacement of one of the veins along that seamline. Almost looks like that poor Sinoceratops had a head transplant. Would anyone here have a suggestion how one could conceal that seamline? Applying some covering clay type material and then repainting that area?

Lynx

Maybe I'm not looking at it right, but the only angle I see a seam is directly underneath
An oversized house cat.

thomasw100

Quote from: Lynx on December 31, 2023, 12:23:45 PMMaybe I'm not looking at it right, but the only angle I see a seam is directly underneath

If you take a closer look at photo number 4 from the top you may see this.

Ambre

Am i crazy or does the Kosmoceratops seems small, i'm not a ceratopsian expert but the size difference with the Sino is surprising

thomasw100

Quote from: Ambre on December 31, 2023, 02:39:19 PMAm i crazy or does the Kosmoceratops seems small, i'm not a ceratopsian expert but the size difference with the Sino is surprising

For Kosmoceratops the typical size estimate is around 5 meters and for Sinoceratops it is 6 meters. This would in 1:35 scale translate into model sizes of 14 and 17 cm. The Haolonggood Kosmoceratops model is 12.7 cm and the Sinoceratops model is 17 cm. So indeed the Kosmoceratops appears to be a bit on the small end. But these size estimates are somewhat variable between different scientists.

Flaffy

I have to admit it's a bit disappointing to see HLG continue making minor but noticeable accuracy mistakes here and there. The lack of raised knobs is a shame as it's a feature that's been recovered from the fossils.

thomasw100

Quote from: Flaffy on December 31, 2023, 03:49:32 PMI have to admit it's a bit disappointing to see HLG continue making minor but noticeable accuracy mistakes here and there. The lack of raised knobs is a shame as it's a feature that's been recovered from the fossils.

I think that this is the price we pay for the Haolonggood models being considerably cheaper than PNSO models. To arrive at that modest price tag Haolonggood obviously has to cut some corners. We see that in the scientific accuracy, but also in the production process. The Sinoceratops has the badly concealed seam line around the head, the Tlatolophus has the way too smooth almost glassy looking surface. These are not issues of the quality of the sculpt and paint design, but of the production process. We do not see such issues in the recent PNSO models any more. They had them sometimes few years ago. The bottom line is that you get what you pay for. My bottom line is that I am happy to pay more for a model that has no such issues. Even if this means that my collection remains smaller because there is fewer models I can afford to buy.

Concavenator

Quote from: thomasw100 on December 31, 2023, 04:08:29 PM
Quote from: Flaffy on December 31, 2023, 03:49:32 PMI have to admit it's a bit disappointing to see HLG continue making minor but noticeable accuracy mistakes here and there. The lack of raised knobs is a shame as it's a feature that's been recovered from the fossils.

I think that this is the price we pay for the Haolonggood models being considerably cheaper than PNSO models.

I'm afraid I disagree. These inaccuracies could be avoided simply by paying more attention to the creature's anatomy when sculpting, how is this related in any way to the prices the figures are sold at?

Safari's figures are (generally) even more affordable than Haolonggood's, and are, in general, better researched too. And as I previously mentioned, Eofauna's figures are in a very similar price point to HLG (I live in Spain and here their figures are noticeably cheaper than in the USA/UK for instance) while also being more accurate. So a lower price point is not by any means an excuse for giving up on accuracy. HLG is the type of company that markets their figures as "scientific", so one would expect their figures to be scientifically accurate, and in case inaccuracies are present, we are free to point them out (unlike something like a Mattel figure).

Granted, I know nobody's perfect and everyone makes mistakes from time to time, but I'm not exaggerating when I say there's at least one inaccuracy in almost each of their figures, so it's a recurrent issue. I hope they can pay more attention to this area for next year.

Sim

Quote from: thomasw100 on December 31, 2023, 02:48:54 PM
Quote from: Ambre on December 31, 2023, 02:39:19 PMAm i crazy or does the Kosmoceratops seems small, i'm not a ceratopsian expert but the size difference with the Sino is surprising

For Kosmoceratops the typical size estimate is around 5 meters and for Sinoceratops it is 6 meters. This would in 1:35 scale translate into model sizes of 14 and 17 cm. The Haolonggood Kosmoceratops model is 12.7 cm and the Sinoceratops model is 17 cm. So indeed the Kosmoceratops appears to be a bit on the small end. But these size estimates are somewhat variable between different scientists.
The skeletal below shows Kosmoceratops would have been around 4m long unless it had some unprecented weird proportions in missing parts (grey).
  (image source)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: