News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - New for 2016

Started by Fluffysaurus, October 14, 2015, 03:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neosodon

Quote from: Shonisaurus on May 08, 2017, 04:25:58 PM
What if I have noticed that in some figures of Safari for example gryposaurus (by the way magnificent figure) are constant tenders to abrasions by falls or by friction with other figures. Unfortunately it is the third gryposaurus that I have in charge of an online store.

The sickle of gryposaurus is the most affected part of this figure, apart from the loin. It may be that there are errors in its manufacture or that it does not apply enough layers of paint.
I have the same problem with mine. Allot of the older safari models seem to loose their paint quite easily especially on the hips.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Concavenator

S @Shane Just out of curiosity, do you remember which year did the Shunosaurus become discontinued in? It's a pity to see that figure gone, Shunosaurus is among the most well-known sauropods and it's fairly iconic. Just as it's also a pity to see all those fantastic figures recently retired. But yeah, I understand that sales are sales...

Placed an order for the Shunosaurus on Amazon, it was the last copy left. Glad to be able to get this figure brand new and for the affordable price it used to be sold at. Also got the Diabloceratops and the Qianzhousaurus last year. I have to say big thank you for letting us know about Safari's retirements. Seeing new releases is always exciting, but not missing out on existing stuff is at least equally as important, and not all companies are transparent when retirements are concerned.

Shane

Quote from: Concavenator on January 05, 2024, 07:40:11 PMS @Shane Just out of curiosity, do you remember which year did the Shunosaurus become discontinued in? It's a pity to see that figure gone, Shunosaurus is among the most well-known sauropods and it's fairly iconic. Just as it's also a pity to see all those fantastic figures recently retired. But yeah, I understand that sales are sales...

Placed an order for the Shunosaurus on Amazon, it was the last copy left. Glad to be able to get this figure brand new and for the affordable price it used to be sold at. Also got the Diabloceratops and the Qianzhousaurus last year. I have to say big thank you for letting us know about Safari's retirements. Seeing new releases is always exciting, but not missing out on existing stuff is at least equally as important, and not all companies are transparent when retirements are concerned.

I believe it was around 2017.

Primeval12

Oh wow, I picked it up on a whim in 2017 back when I wasn't really collecting. Glad I snagged it then! I'd definitely love to see it back as a repaint.

Concavenator

S @Shane Oh wow, so it was released in 2016 and got discontinued around the following year? Dang, that's a short run, what a shame.

Shane

Quote from: Concavenator on January 05, 2024, 11:01:42 PMS @Shane Oh wow, so it was released in 2016 and got discontinued around the following year? Dang, that's a short run, what a shame.

Looking back at sales, it was probably more likely 2018.

There was a pretty sharp drop off in sales after its first year. I'm not sure 100% on how these determinations are made but I'm sure there are quotas that have to be hit in order to keep something in production, based on forecasts of how long it takes to run out of current stock, etc. The figure was still available into 2020, so it took a while to run through all the inventory.

Jose S.M.

I know people had issues with it but I still really like it. Some say it has a goofy or derpy face but some animals still do hehe.

Sim

I thought the paintjob on the Shunosaurus's face was terrible and that it had too large scales, but when I received mine I realised those things were really just illusions created by zoomed-in photos of the figure.  The Safari Shunosaurus is now one of my favourite sauropod figures.

GojiraGuy1954

The proportions look really bad
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Blade-of-the-Moon

It's still the only replica of the species I have.

SidB

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 09, 2024, 02:34:32 AMIt's still the only replica of the species I have.
Exactly, like being the best hockey player in Galveston.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: SidB on January 09, 2024, 09:30:26 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 09, 2024, 02:34:32 AMIt's still the only replica of the species I have.
Exactly, like being the best hockey player in Galveston.

lol basically. If anyone makes another better one I'll almost definitely upgrade.

Concavenator

Here it is! Looks better in person than in online pics/reviews. Also, I haven't see those Safari tags in a while!

And here it is with the other 2 sauropods I have: Carnegie's Brachiosaurus and Eofauna's Diplodocus.

Faelrin

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator Thanks for sharing pics here. I used to overlook this one as well, but it looks rather adorable in the pics you have shared. I'll need to hunt for this one at some point too.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.