News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

HAOLONGGOOD - New for 2024

Started by postsaurischian, January 14, 2024, 10:31:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thomasw100

I have to say that I am increasingly concerned about this heads-on competition between Haolonggood and PNSO. It has now happened several times that both would release models of the same species or genus at about the same time. I do not think that too many people will then buy both models, so this will translate into a loss for one company or the other. As there are still many exciting species to choose from, there is plenty of opportunity for both companies.

shahinos

Quote from: thomasw100 on January 16, 2024, 01:23:49 PMI have to say that I am increasingly concerned about this heads-on competition between Haolonggood and PNSO. It has now happened several times that both would release models of the same species or genus at about the same time. I do not think that too many people will then buy both models, so this will translate into a loss for one company or the other. As there are still many exciting species to choose from, there is plenty of opportunity for both companies.

To be fair, HLG teaser Edmontosaurus quite a while back. I assume this post is just them reminding people that their model is in progress and upcoming.

But yeah, generally speaking I agree with you. Apart from this and Alamo, which species are you thinking about?

Samrukia

Quote from: shahinos on January 16, 2024, 01:36:39 PM
Quote from: thomasw100 on January 16, 2024, 01:23:49 PMI have to say that I am increasingly concerned about this heads-on competition between Haolonggood and PNSO. It has now happened several times that both would release models of the same species or genus at about the same time. I do not think that too many people will then buy both models, so this will translate into a loss for one company or the other. As there are still many exciting species to choose from, there is plenty of opportunity for both companies.

To be fair, HLG teaser Edmontosaurus quite a while back. I assume this post is just them reminding people that their model is in progress and upcoming.

But yeah, generally speaking I agree with you. Apart from this and Alamo, which species are you thinking about?

Daspletosaurus releases were also not too far from each other as far as i remember

Takama

An E....regalis

And I thoght all this time they were going to make a E.annectons

Also, are those JW Colors I SEE

Carnoking

This looks more like regalis to my eye than PNSO's.

And I personally love the JW colors!

Gwangi

I had a hunch we might be seeing more of the HLG Edmontosaurus after PNSO's reveal. Now I have a tough choice to make. I actually like the JW inspired colors here and this figure will no doubt be cheaper than PNSO's.

shahinos

Quote from: Samrukia on January 16, 2024, 01:40:29 PM
Quote from: shahinos on January 16, 2024, 01:36:39 PM

Daspletosaurus releases were also not too far from each other as far as i remember

Yes, very possible. Both Edmonto and Alamo had been teased by HLG before PNSO released their models though.

MLMjp

Damn it!

You were the chosen one, Haolonggood!

It was said that you would finally give us E. annectens, not join the other companies!

Bring balance to a market full of E.regalis, not leaving it in darkness!

Flaffy

Ah, a shame it's E. regalis. I was under the impression that HLG would be doing E. annectens. That puts it in direct competition with PNSO's version unfortunately. The skull recon is a much more traditional E. regalis too so there's that.

Good to have options though I guess. I know many people are a fan of the JW website colour scheme so HLG's doing a nice homage. I don't doubt the HLG version will either be cheaper or larger (or both?) than PNSO's Edmontosaurus given their track record. I'm equally excited to see how HLG handles the manus on their version.

BlueKrono

I will be buying both Alamosauruses because they both appeal to me, but the crest on the PNSO makes it the only Edmontosaurus that's ever appealed to me. This one is not all that different from the Safari.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Bread

Quote from: LucasLiu on January 16, 2024, 01:05:54 PM
See this is what inclines me to prefer Haolonggood's already, and that's the colorscheme.

However, I'll definitely be picking up PNSO's and Haolonggood's. I see both figures as perfect renditions, though I may prefer one over the other due to colors.

Carnoking

Quote from: Bread on January 16, 2024, 02:46:50 PM
Quote from: LucasLiu on January 16, 2024, 01:05:54 PM
See this is what inclines me to prefer Haolonggood's already, and that's the colorscheme.

However, I'll definitely be picking up PNSO's and Haolonggood's. I see both figures as perfect renditions, though I may prefer one over the other due to colors.

The paint application here is basically perfect for this sort of figure. Just needs some finishing touches like the eye and crest and it's good to go in my book.

My only concern is that they'll add the usual blotches or squiggles of color here and there and disrupt the smooth application of colors...

Pliosaurking

Well, this is going to be a difficult decision between the pnso and this one...

Duna

I like Haolonggood's skull much more. And pose. The decision for me is clear.

thomasw100

I doubt that this will be the final color scheme of the Haolonggood Edmontosaurus. I think they did a quick painting work of the prototype to show how in general their model would look like. This was clearly triggered by the PNSO release. Why else would they post these pictures exactly a day later? Now people have seen how essentially both competing models will look like, at least in terms of the sculpt, and they can make an informed decision. I believe that the paint scheme could still be modified in response to customer feedback. I do hope that they have learned from many comments that were posted on this forum that sometimes less is better and that they will do away with the wiggly white lines and stuff like that for good. As the Kosmoceratops and Sinoceratops do not have these things any more, I would believe that they have realized this now.

Faelrin

I would actually be fine with the JW coloration. Not even Mattel's figure truly captures it (unless they do a better HC version, but who knows), and there's the Schleich with the terrible anatomy.

That said it would be nice to see something original.

And another E. regalis from the look of it. Now I'm really hoping PNSO's is actually E. annectens instead.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

thebermuda303

Haolonggood clarified on their Facebook page that Edmonto is not finished and there are still some changes to both paint and sculpt underway. This might end up being the E.annectens confirmed so long ago.

Takama

Quote from: Faelrin on January 16, 2024, 04:08:36 PMI would actually be fine with the JW coloration. Not even Mattel's figure truly captures it (unless they do a better HC version, but who knows), and there's the Schleich with the terrible anatomy.

That said it would be nice to see something original.

And another E. regalis from the look of it. Now I'm really hoping PNSO's is actually E. annectens instead.

You know what they can do?

Since they make two colors for each model why not both species for this one?

cryolophosaurus

E.annectens fans, we take another loss...

Faelrin

avatar_Takama @Takama Now that would be something nice.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: