News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

HAOLONGGOOD - New for 2024

Started by postsaurischian, January 14, 2024, 10:31:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Takama on January 16, 2024, 04:36:48 PM
Quote from: Faelrin on January 16, 2024, 04:08:36 PMI would actually be fine with the JW coloration. Not even Mattel's figure truly captures it (unless they do a better HC version, but who knows), and there's the Schleich with the terrible anatomy.

That said it would be nice to see something original.

And another E. regalis from the look of it. Now I'm really hoping PNSO's is actually E. annectens instead.

You know what they can do?

Since they make two colors for each model why not both species for this one?

That they could, just switch out the heads and change the color.

I'm almost done hoping for a good Edmontosaurus. Maybe a retro Anatosaurus? Or even a MAIASAURA ?

thomasw100

Quote from: thebermuda303 on January 16, 2024, 04:30:01 PMHaolonggood clarified on their Facebook page that Edmonto is not finished and there are still some changes to both paint and sculpt underway. This might end up being the E.annectens confirmed so long ago.

So if this is the case, prbably the best they could do now would be to modify their figure so that it will represent Edmontosaurus annectens. This way they will avoid the immediate heads-on competition with PNSO and people could get both species. However, I would suggest that they actually wait with any modification until the PNSO model is being formally released and in depth analysis and reviews of the physical model have been done. Then it will become clear whether the PNSO model is Edmontosaurus regalis, Edmontosaurus annectens or a hybrid of both species. Haolonggood can then make their modifications in such a way that their model would exactly fill the missing gap. They can afford to wait a bit I believe given that they have several projects lined up and even postpone the production and release of their Edmontosaurus.

Sim

Quote from: thomasw100 on January 16, 2024, 01:23:49 PMI have to say that I am increasingly concerned about this heads-on competition between Haolonggood and PNSO. It has now happened several times that both would release models of the same species or genus at about the same time. I do not think that too many people will then buy both models, so this will translate into a loss for one company or the other. As there are still many exciting species to choose from, there is plenty of opportunity for both companies.
It happens sometimes that more than one company makes the same genus at around the same time.  E.g.: Safari and CollectA's Kronosaurus, Einiosaurus, Nasutoceratops...  I wouldn't expect companies to cancel their figure because another company produced the same genus, although Haolonggood appears to have cancelled their Acrocanthosaurus after PNSO revealed theirs, but I think that is unusual.

Sim

Quote from: Faelrin on January 16, 2024, 04:08:36 PMI would actually be fine with the JW coloration. Not even Mattel's figure truly captures it (unless they do a better HC version, but who knows), and there's the Schleich with the terrible anatomy.

And another E. regalis from the look of it. Now I'm really hoping PNSO's is actually E. annectens instead.

That's a nice idea.  It's similar to me hoping Haolonggood makes two more colour schemes for their Baryonyx figure and call them Riparovenator and Ceratosuchops.

Takama

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 16, 2024, 05:10:32 PM

I'm almost done hoping for a good Edmontosaurus. Maybe a retro Anatosaurus? Or even a MAIASAURA ?

As much as i would like a good maiasaura, im more interested in Brachylophosaurus,  the only one that was ever on the toy market is unconfimrd indentity of the Jasman Green Hadrosaur.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Takama on January 16, 2024, 06:21:37 PM

As much as i would like a good maiasaura, im more interested in Brachylophosaurus,  the only one that was ever on the toy market is unconfimrd indentity of the Jasman Green Hadrosaur.

I can see wanting it. I wouldn't mind either. Maia Ihave some nostalgia tied up in though thanks, to books and dino docs from the late 80's early 90's and of course Safari/Carnegie.

Sim

One thing I feel I have to say is that Haolonggood never said they were making Edmontosaurus annectens, just Edmontosaurus.

thomasw100

Quote from: Sim on January 16, 2024, 07:18:56 PMOne thing I feel I have to say is that Haolonggood never said they were making Edmontosaurus annectens, just Edmontosaurus.

I agree, they never said explicitly that it would be Edmontosaurus annectens. But they will make Stegosaurus ungulatus which was requested by many people. They have clearly labelled the Stegosaurus prototype they show on their Instagram as Stegosaurus ungulatus.

cryolophosaurus

Despite the hate it's getting for not being E.annectens, it's still a well made figure for E.regalis. Great colors, sculpted detail and anatomy. They could just release a E.annectens later on.

Gwangi

As I said in the PNSO thread, I never much cared for the Edmontosaurus figures by Safari or CollectA so to have options from PNSO and HLG is fantastic, no matter the species.

The Safari and CollectA figures were fine, they just weren't for me. The CollectA came close but I didn't like the paintjob.

TlatolophusJuanorum

Even though they haven't specified which species they are focussing on, recently they have included them on their latest releases.
And, as HaoLongGood social interactions are well appreciated, they could hopefully take down the E. annectens path. As far as I know, E. regalis comb is a bit more Rooster-like (as portrayed by PNSOs Zabad):

and, as Bell, Fanti et.al. paper suggests, E. annectens may display a soft tissue comb but lacks the direct evidence for it. I don't know of a concrete paper who recalls that, only a somewhat consensus about it. By direct relationship between both species and in favour of visual display, It should have some kind of small fleshy comb, idk. (Sorry if I am mistaken)
Although HLG WIP seems to be more of an E.regalis skull.

Sim

In the past D @Dinoguy2 has said that there is only one E. regalis mummy and it has a crest preserved, and there's a number of E. annectens mummies and none preserve a crest.  So it's possible E. annectens didn't have a crest, or maybe only male or female Edmontosaurus had a crest.

TlatolophusJuanorum

Quote from: Sim on January 16, 2024, 10:28:06 PMIn the past D @Dinoguy2 has said that there is only one E. regalis mummy and it has a crest preserved, and there's a number of E. annectens mummies and none preserve a crest.  So it's possible E. annectens didn't have a crest, or maybe only male or female Edmontosaurus had a crest.
Oh sorry, my bad. Thanks for the correction avatar_Sim @Sim.

thomasw100

Quote from: Takama on January 16, 2024, 06:21:37 PM

Brachylophosaurus would be a great choice, considering the relatively recent finds of Elvis, Leonardo, Roberta, and Marco. There are probably very few species with such complete fossil record.

thebermuda303

Quote from: Sim on January 16, 2024, 10:28:06 PMIn the past D @Dinoguy2 has said that there is only one E. regalis mummy and it has a crest preserved, and there's a number of E. annectens mummies and none preserve a crest.  So it's possible E. annectens didn't have a crest, or maybe only male or female Edmontosaurus had a crest.
There is quite a few E.annectens mummies but none of them have preserved head. Comb very well could've been there in life.

Abobo

From Paleofiguras :

Carnoking

Where did these images come from?? Did they get rid of the squiggly lines on the purple one? I'd be so happy if that's the case!

Edit: oops, I see they're from Paleofiguras now. In hand photos, could it be true??

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Carnoking on January 17, 2024, 04:43:22 PMWhere did these images come from?? Did they get rid of the squiggly lines on the purple one? I'd be so happy if that's the case!

Edit: oops, I see they're from Paleofiguras now. In hand photos, could it be true??

Sure looks like it. Maybe someone involved in development?

Is that BIG one HLG too?

Carnoking

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 17, 2024, 06:43:58 PM
Quote from: Carnoking on January 17, 2024, 04:43:22 PMWhere did these images come from?? Did they get rid of the squiggly lines on the purple one? I'd be so happy if that's the case!

Sure looks like it. Maybe someone involved in development?

Is that BIG one HLG too?

I wonder if it's one of those things that would vary by copy. I would find it very odd if the official promo images included the extra markings only for them to be absent on the final product sent.
Again, I'd be delighted if this were the case as those extra markings strike me as superfluous and disruptive but only time will tell I guess. For now, I wait with bated breath for more in-hand copies to start showing up and for my own to arrive.

Regarding the other big sauropod, I don't recognize it but I'd be surprised if that was an official HLG release seeing as we've seen no teases or really anything for upcoming big sauropods outside the outline tease.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: