News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Silva's Beasts of the Mesozoic Tyrannosaur Series

Started by Faelrin, March 12, 2020, 04:42:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Concavenator

Minute 1:12:33

They talk about potentially further expanding the 1:35 range. While they mention no particular figure is planned, they also mention they want to get back to it at some point. David mentions they might do it next year.

This would be SUCH GOOD news.

DrunkAnteosaurus

My BOTM Tarbosaurus came in today! Now just waiting on gorgon and "old buck" styraco to arrive. Will drop a mini review of the figure once I get 'D'(name of my tarbo) all situated.  :o
New to paleoart and sculpting, but really trying to learn more! If you have any requests lmk!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Latest Beasts of the Mesozoic tyrannosaurs.  Typical joint issues posing is rough but expected.  The weirdest thing is the ton of gloss paint or seal on the Gorgosaurus.  He's super shiney.  It's odd as it's not on the replacement feet and legs though. 
Thanks to DansDinosaurs.com for these.

Over9K

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Over9K on February 04, 2024, 07:53:29 PMMan, the Gorgosaurus is almost iridescent!

It's just a LOT of clear gloss and it's not on the switch out parts. It's very weird.

Carnoking

Finally got my delivery a week ago Friday. Needless to say, it was a fun week of opening, posing, and pictures for me!

First up on the chopping block for me was the Eotyrannus. I'm not sure if this was the last one I added to my order, but it was among the last few for sure. For whatever reason, it just didn't grab me like all the rest. Well, I can honestly say in person, it's another absolute delight! Love those warm tones!

Spoiler

Looks like Spielberg's having a little trouble with one of his extras today.

[close]

Moros came next. This was one of the smaller figures that I took an instant liking to, and it's still one of my favorites!

Spoiler

"Six foot turkey indeed."

[close]

Here are all the small bois together. All told, I think the Proceratosaurus wins the title of favorite, but I love how much personality each of these little figures packs.

And of course, I had to do this.

Next up came the electrifying Alectrosaurus!

Spoiler

[close]

The absolute easy favorite for this body type. That paint job is a real showstopper!

Getting to the big boys, first up is the Tarbosaurus!

Spoiler

Size is the only let down for this guy but I've learned to live with it!

"Easy there, big guy."

[close]

Albertosaurus was next. For whatever reason, this one seems to have the most poseablity out of this body type for me. Maybe I just haven't worked the other ones enough but for the time being, this one's really showed me just how flexible these figures can be!

Spoiler

With the big boy of the line.

Nice to finally have some carnivores to pit against my Ceratopsians!

"Cut! Cut I said!"
[close]

Next up, a serious contender for title of the entire line, the Daspletosaurus!

Spoiler

One of my absolute favorite head sculpts out of the entire line, and I love the paint job!

Little Dinosaur Heresies action for this one.

Shouldn't have called Lunch.

[close]

And finally, one of my most anticipated figures from the entire line, the gorgeous Gorgosaurus!

Spoiler

The blue and yellow coloration is stunning, and that head sculpt is just Tyrannosaur perfection to me!

Someone followed the flowers...

This seems like more of a fair fight.

The lighter built Gorgosaurus creeps past the larger Daspletosaurus, head dipped in submission.

No one said Dinosaurs were easy to work with.

[close]

David really saved the cream of the crop for this wave. Not only has the articulation improved, but some of the best painted figures and sculpts came from Wave 3. These larger body types are a real delight!

Here's a nice group shot of all the different body types of the line. They sure do look great together!

Next on my to do list is to rearrange my Tyrannosaur shelf so I can get a nice group shot of all these guys together! Hard to believe it's been over two years since the Kickstarter first launched but this entire line was more than worth the wait!

Now onto Cyberzoic!

Carnoking

The former Papo dresser has been sacrificed to the tyrants. This is what I'm going with for the time being. Even if it changes, it's nice to see them all together! Not pictured, the WWD and Dino Rider Kickstarter exclusives which are still in box somewhere and the Dilong, which I did not pickup. Probably for the best though, no room in the inn!

Spoiler

[close]

Over9K

I hate the base.

I don't understand the idea of making the "standing" legs with flat feet, and then the area of the base that foot pegs into isn't flat. At no point can you get that foot down on that peg with all three toes fully supported. The base is also feather light, and requires weighting to be more useful. The base cannot hold dynamic poses for very long,

This makes no sense to me. Give these figures incredible range of articulation, and no way to display it.

I'm going to measure the peg, get some rod, and make my own.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Over9K on February 28, 2024, 07:47:31 PMI hate the base.

I don't understand the idea of making the "standing" legs with flat feet, and then the area of the base that foot pegs into isn't flat. At no point can you get that foot down on that peg with all three toes fully supported. The base is also feather light, and requires weighting to be more useful. The base cannot hold dynamic poses for very long,

This makes no sense to me. Give these figures incredible range of articulation, and no way to display it.

I'm going to measure the peg, get some rod, and make my own.

Yep. Totally agree. They actually stand better on a flat surface vs the base.  Most and it says it in the instructions, cannot hold dynamic poses which is one of the main points of getting a poseable figure.

I wish David would look into lighter materials. Mattel's Hammond Collection Rex and Carno are good examples. I'm sure the cost would go way down too.  Solid base and hollow light weight figure = success.

Carnoking

The plastic support rods work a trick for me if you're not put off by that sort of thing.

Concavenator

Rather than the base, it would've been neat if they had the support stand the upcoming Cyberzoic theropods will have.

Eatmycar

I really, really wish they took more time to engineer the bodies for the Tyrannosaur line. The lessons learned from the T. rex are showing up in the Wave 3 Tyrannosaurs, and we're seeing further improvements for the Allosaurus and Carnotaurus. That said, all of these rods, bases, and grips, and the dinosaurs are still hefty and unable to support their own weight. 

I sat out the Tyrannosaur line and frankly, I'm kinda done with the big BoTM figures until some things change. If Mattel can use a lighter plastic and make sure the dinosaur can support its own weight without crumpling, there's no reason BoTM can't make similar innovations. The Mattel Carnotaurus is not perfect, but it doesn't need multiple rods holding it up. Until then, I'm sticking to smaller dinos and quadrupeds from BoTM. They easily outclass any of the Jurassic Park monsters, and they can support themselves.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Eatmycar on March 13, 2024, 07:27:16 PMI really, really wish they took more time to engineer the bodies for the Tyrannosaur line. The lessons learned from the T. rex are showing up in the Wave 3 Tyrannosaurs, and we're seeing further improvements for the Allosaurus and Carnotaurus. That said, all of these rods, bases, and grips, and the dinosaurs are still hefty and unable to support their own weight. 

I sat out the Tyrannosaur line and frankly, I'm kinda done with the big BoTM figures until some things change. If Mattel can use a lighter plastic and make sure the dinosaur can support its own weight without crumpling, there's no reason BoTM can't make similar innovations. The Mattel Carnotaurus is not perfect, but it doesn't need multiple rods holding it up. Until then, I'm sticking to smaller dinos and quadrupeds from BoTM. They easily outclass any of the Jurassic Park monsters, and they can support themselves.

Honestly one reason I didn't buy any Cyberzoic pieces other than the Smilodon which can stand on four feet.. was the heavy figure plus added armor would be pretty hefty to support.   I still plan to get the Allosaurus later and some others but sans armor. The big arctic dragon is also probably a preorder closer to release.

Faelrin

Giveaway for the fantastic TLW:JP inspired Tyrannosaurus paint up by Chris:

Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

JurassicGeek09

Quote from: Eatmycar on March 13, 2024, 07:27:16 PMI really, really wish they took more time to engineer the bodies for the Tyrannosaur line. The lessons learned from the T. rex are showing up in the Wave 3 Tyrannosaurs, and we're seeing further improvements for the Allosaurus and Carnotaurus. That said, all of these rods, bases, and grips, and the dinosaurs are still hefty and unable to support their own weight. 

I'm glad to see other people talking about this. My big rex figures can't stand up to save their life. The individual feet digits are bent upwards in a couple of cases because I have to keep manipulating the feet awkwardly along the base and in the case of one figure, the leg joints at the hip are simply too loose. It can't stand still. I don't have this problem with my Gorgo and Alberto, FFS.

Quote from: Carnoking on February 19, 2024, 11:41:21 PM

The former Papo dresser has been sacrificed to the tyrants. This is what I'm going with for the time being. Even if it changes, it's nice to see them all together! Not pictured, the WWD and Dino Rider Kickstarter exclusives which are still in box somewhere and the Dilong, which I did not pickup. Probably for the best though, no room in the inn!

Spoiler

[close]

How well do those support rods work for the giant rex figures? I could really use a few myself.
To view my collection pieces, check me out at: http://www.instagram.com/jurassicgeek09

Carnoking

They are certainly not a perfect solution but they definitely help! I have adjusted the more extreme poses since this photo was taken, I.e. the gorgosaurus up top there and the stepping Lythronax and Albertosaurus. I just noticed the figures were leaning a lot even with the support rods and I worried they would eventually tumble so I figured I'd try to keep the poses to two feet on the ground. I haven't noticed any issues with the leaning down Tarbosaurus and Dryptosaurus despite how front heavy the pose makes them.

Blade-of-the-Moon

In the past few months I've noticed more of my mid-size tyrannosaurs are all leaning forward no matter how I pose them on the bases. I think I'm going to ditch the bases altogether and do some poses in a tripod stance. See if that works.  Meanwhile my HC Carno is here months later not moving an inch.  I stand by my assessment they need to reduce the weight of any non-quadrupeds.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: