You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

What is your least favorite dinosaur?

Started by brontosauruschuck, March 22, 2020, 07:18:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thomasw100

My least favorite dinosaur is actually T-rex. We are so overloaded with T-rex figures and so much discussion about T-rex all the time to the point that this species has become the one I will most likely never get in model form.

Halichoeres

Quote from: thomasw100 on January 28, 2024, 09:56:33 AMMy least favorite dinosaur is actually T-rex. We are so overloaded with T-rex figures and so much discussion about T-rex all the time to the point that this species has become the one I will most likely never get in model form.

This is me too. I've also added Giganotosaurus and Spinosaurus to my will-not-buy list.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Sim

Quote from: Over9K on January 28, 2024, 05:06:13 AMNot only that, but when I was a little kid, I would see this picture of these mounted dinosaur arms, serious weapons with huge claws. The books would always say stuff like, "all we know about Deinocherius "The Horrible Hand" is that it must have been pretty mean and scary to have arms like that".

DISAPPOINTED!
The forelimbs of Deinocheirus could have been excellent defensive weapons.

Lynx

Time to update my list for 2024. There's nothing here I truly dislike except for maybe the first 3, so let's get into it;

1. Yutyrannnus. I could ramble for days on end about how much I borderline hate this thing. Any other day I'd say 'you shouldn't let people ruin a dinosaur for you', but I will blatantly be a hypocrite and slap down Yutyrannus as number one. I have not met a single Yutyrannus fan that was a decent person. The creature itself is just so uninteresting to me. It's just 'hey, big thing found with feathers.' And yeah, maybe that is significant, but I just can't stand this thing for some reason. I can not list ONE person that liked Yutyrannus who was also a nice guy. Maybe I just haven't met enough people? I don't know. I've just grown to associate it with that.

2. Allosaurus. Okay, I don't really dislike this one, but just generally it's been a running joke for me to dislike it. I'm actually quite fond of it nowadays, but just to keep my word I'll place it in number two.

3. Shantungosaurus. Hopefully I spelled that right. I just don't like this thing, no clue why. It's never interested me. Kind of like one of the reasons I dislike Yutyrannus, one of the main things it's known for is simply 'big hadrosaur'. Never interested me too much nowadays. Same goes for Edmontosaurus, but I think the fauna and history of it is quite interesting so it's not on this list.

4. Concavenator There's no valid reason I dislike this thing, but it's just not interesting to me like many theropods. Small theropod with a hump. There's some interesting bits like the quills, but as someone who somewhat enjoys reading about the history of each creatures discovery, nothing much caught my eye or attention. It's really popular in media which I never understood. Maybe it just looks cool? I dunno.

5. Achillobator. Same reason as Conca for the most part. From what I understand, it's also incredibly fragmentary, and I only am aware of it for being somewhat close to the size of Utahraptor. There's just so much not known about it despite the popularity it's gaining. So yeah, I don't dislike it much, but just don't find interest in it yet.
An oversized house cat.

Takama

Quote from: Lynx on February 06, 2024, 11:45:06 AM5. Achillobator. Same reason as Conca for the most part. From what I understand, it's also incredibly fragmentary, and I only am aware of it for being somewhat close to the size of Utahraptor. There's just so much not known about it despite the popularity it's gaining. So yeah, I don't dislike it much, but just don't find interest in it yet.

I heard that this species may (or may not so take with a grain of salt for now) may turn out to be the remains of a Tyrannosaur instead of a dromeosaur (which may be worse, depening on your point of view ;D )

DefinitelyNOTDilo

For conca I do have to say, it is one of the, if not the most well preserved non-coelurosaurian theropod. I'm surprised more people don't talk about the fact that we have really nice skin impressions from it, including crocodilian belly scales.

Primeval12

Quote from: DefinitelyNOTDilo on February 07, 2024, 05:20:03 AMFor conca I do have to say, it is one of the, if not the most well preserved non-coelurosaurian theropod. I'm surprised more people don't talk about the fact that we have really nice skin impressions from it, including crocodilian belly scales.

I did not know that about the scales, that is so cool. I disagree with Concavenator's inclusion on this list the most out of any of them. It is such a unique critter, even if it's another theropod.

Lynx

Quote from: Primeval12 on February 07, 2024, 05:39:10 AM
Quote from: DefinitelyNOTDilo on February 07, 2024, 05:20:03 AMFor conca I do have to say, it is one of the, if not the most well preserved non-coelurosaurian theropod. I'm surprised more people don't talk about the fact that we have really nice skin impressions from it, including crocodilian belly scales.

I did not know that about the scales, that is so cool. I disagree with Concavenator's inclusion on this list the most out of any of them. It is such a unique critter, even if it's another theropod.

Don't get me wrong, Conca is definitely a very unique theropod. I wasn't aware of the scales either, which is interesting! It just isn't interesting to me personally. Never caught my attention despite being fairly special. As I said on the list, there's no valid reason for me to dislike it, I just don't for whatever reason.
An oversized house cat.

DefinitelyNOTDilo

To be honest I used to be of the opinion that theropods without some sort of bells and whistles were boring, but lately I've come to see the beauty inherent in a simpler body plan. That said there is one theropod I hate with a passion, and that is Dakotaraptor. Mostly because DePalma absolutely sucks both scientifically and as a person, and Dakota should not have nearly the level of popularity it does.

Sim

Regarding Concaventor's scales, as far as I'm aware its belly doesn't preserve any, but it does have them preserved under the length of its tail and it has bird-like scales preserved on its feet, showing that even not very birdlike theropods can have those large scales on the feet.

As for Achillobator, it preserves the bony rods that among Cretaceous animals are only known in dromaeosaurids, so it's unlikely to be something else, same for Dakotaraptor.

With regards to no-one nice liking Yutyrannus, forum member avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator is a nice person, so there's one!

Reuben03

Quote from: Takama on November 02, 2023, 03:58:39 AMThanos simonattoi

Represents two of my least favorite things in media and paleontolgey. MARVAL, and very poor fossil remains. Which makes
This IMO among the biggest jokes in paleontology since Scrotum Humanum.

YES!!! i dont get the issues people have with new dinosaur names that end in saurus.

theres a certain level of maturity and respect that you need to name a new dinosaur and if you are so millenial redditbrained that you name a dinosaur THANOS then there is something wrong.

maip too, what an awesome animal! why the hell would you call it maip??? something-saurus wouldve been way better, literally anything-saurus would have been better suited then mAiP. what a joke.

long as my heart's beatin' in my chest
this old dawg ain't about to forget :')

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Quote from: Reuben03 on February 07, 2024, 06:14:06 PM

Represents two of my least favorite things in media and paleontolgey. MARVAL, and very poor fossil remains. Which makes

YES!!! i dont get the issues people have with new dinosaur names that end in saurus.

theres a certain level of maturity and respect that you need to name a new dinosaur and if you are so millenial redditbrained that you name a dinosaur THANOS then there is something wrong.

maip too, what an awesome animal! why the hell would you call it maip??? something-saurus wouldve been way better, literally anything-saurus would have been better suited then mAiP. what a joke.

While I agree on thanos, I very much don't with maip. I think the trend of naming dinosaurs in the language of the people who live in the area it was found is very nice, not to mention the name itself means "Shadow of Death" which is just badass.

Carnoking

On a similar note but at the opposite end of the spectrum, I think Thanatotheristes is a pretty dope name. Something to be said for naming dinosaurs after figures of mythology.

Stegotyranno420

🤣🤣🤣 So true about Th*nos

Okay but about Maip. While i dont like the name, and I REALLY dont like the practice of using mostly indigenous-language names, it has a justification. Maip is a mythological beast for the Mapuche people I think. We cannot expect the cultures to match, for example theh might think names like "Rex" or "Diplodocus" or pretty much most of our Graeco-Roman terms sound funny to them, so to judge bases on how it sounds does not sit right with me. Of course, the meanings still matter.

Perotorum

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on February 07, 2024, 07:04:31 PM

🤣🤣🤣 So true about Th*nos

Okay but about Maip. While i dont like the name, and I REALLY dont like the practice of using mostly indigenous-language names, it has a justification. Maip is a mythological beast for the Mapuche people I think. We cannot expect the cultures to match, for example theh might think names like "Rex" or "Diplodocus" or pretty much most of our Graeco-Roman terms sound funny to them, so to judge bases on how it sounds does not sit right with me. Of course, the meanings still matter.
I wonder, what are your thoughts on stellasaurus, who's name is partially to honor the David Bowie song Star Man.

crazy8wizard

While I don't have nearly the level of vitriol for certain dinosaurs that this thread is showing, (yeesh) there are a few dinosaurs that I don't like very much for what they are, or in many cases, are not
-Monolophosaurus
Nothing against it in particular, I just find that it's weirdly popular for an animal that doesn't feel like much. It's not the first single crested theropod and it certainly wasn't the last, even from its own formation. Not to mention how the holotype is basically trapped in a foam block that's basically rotting in a warehouse. That's something to get mad about.
-"Ubirajara"
The dinosaur itself is a cool discovery but the fact it was colonized and smuggled out leaves a bad taste in my mouth, so I don't care much for the name and description. The problem is that there's not much else to refer to it as so a lot of people still call it Ubirajara out of habit.
-Capitalsaurus
This one is eyeroll worthy. A singular scrappy vertebra found near a sewer during an excavation, but because it was found in Washington DC it instantly becomes a local phenomenon. As if the corny name wasn't enough, it has its own street, its own local holiday, and was designated to be the official dinosaur of DC. Now if this dinosaur had a few more bones or anything diagnostic I wouldn't be as annoyed but let me reiterate, this is one bone, and an incomplete one at that. This isn't a dinosaur, it's a PR stunt.

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Dakotaraptor, that's it, for reasons that should be fairly obvious to anyone familiar with the author.

Stegotyranno420

avatar_Perotorum @Perotorum . I dont like popular music of the modern era, so I would not say I like the name for what it means and represents. Besides naming things after celebrities is another thing I do not like. But at least it is done more cleverly.

Gwangi

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on February 07, 2024, 08:14:21 PMavatar_Perotorum @Perotorum . I dont like popular music of the modern era, so I would not say I like the name for what it means and represents. Besides naming things after celebrities is another thing I do not like. But at least it is done more cleverly.

I don't think David Bowie's Starman is a "popular song of the modern era".

Lynx

Quote from: Sim on February 07, 2024, 04:59:41 PMRegarding Concaventor's scales, as far as I'm aware its belly doesn't preserve any, but it does have them preserved under the length of its tail and it has bird-like scales preserved on its feet, showing that even not very birdlike theropods can have those large scales on the feet.

As for Achillobator, it preserves the bony rods that among Cretaceous animals are only known in dromaeosaurids, so it's unlikely to be something else, same for Dakotaraptor.

With regards to no-one nice liking Yutyrannus, forum member avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator is a nice person, so there's one!

Had no clue they liked Yuty! That does make one, I suppose.
An oversized house cat.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: