News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Triceratops83's Ornithischians- Rebirth from page 14

Started by triceratops83, December 13, 2014, 04:45:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

triceratops83

Quote from: Halichoeres on February 18, 2024, 01:27:49 AMI also like it best with the trees!

Yeah, I might keep the trees, but use less of them. It already looks better without the Baobab, and I previously had some Schleich Pine Trees in there too, but you could barely see the dinosaurs.

I'm hoping CollectA makes some more prehistoric plants - Some ferns and maybe equisetum would be cool.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Faelrin

Honestly I like the use of the CollectA plants, as a diorama approach.

I don't know if they are still obtainable, but Schleich did some generic ferns a while back. I got my hands on one from here, with the help of my one German friend. They may be of use. I would like to see CollectA do some new plants though, but that said I'm long overdo for getting my hands on the ones they already have done.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

triceratops83

Quote from: Faelrin on February 18, 2024, 02:55:41 AMHonestly I like the use of the CollectA plants, as a diorama approach.

I don't know if they are still obtainable, but Schleich did some generic ferns a while back. I got my hands on one from here, with the help of my one German friend. They may be of use. I would like to see CollectA do some new plants though, but that said I'm long overdo for getting my hands on the ones they already have done.

Yeah, those ferns are still around in a couple of places, usually pretty expensive though. What I'd really like is for CollectA to do a tree fern in about the same size as their Monanthesia and Williamsonia. I quite like the fern that comes with their Hypsilophodon family so a bigger version of that would be nice.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Halichoeres

Safari made that tree fern a while back, but I imagine it's pretty hard to find nowadays. It also had those backward fiddleheads...
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Concavenator

Quote from: Halichoeres on February 18, 2024, 07:57:40 PMSafari made that tree fern a while back, but I imagine it's pretty hard to find nowadays.

I had it and sold it 2 years ago.  :P

avatar_triceratops83 @triceratops83 I actually like your idea of using those background pictures, I might consider doing the same with my collection setup as well, since it's just plain white boring shelves. Your display looks nicer.

triceratops83

Quote from: Halichoeres on February 18, 2024, 07:57:40 PMSafari made that tree fern a while back, but I imagine it's pretty hard to find nowadays. It also had those backward fiddleheads...

I might still have one somewhere, however I spent a fortune on it years ago. Would be much happier with buying a new version in quantity and for cheaper. Actually for that matter, I think Safari could please a lot of people by reissuing their old trees.

Quote from: Concavenator on February 18, 2024, 08:18:24 PMavatar_triceratops83 @triceratops83 I actually like your idea of using those background pictures, I might consider doing the same with my collection setup as well, since it's just plain white boring shelves. Your display looks nicer.

Thanks! I just pulled those pics from Wikipedia and Google Images and printed them on A4. They're just stuck there with Blutac. Mine's kinda dodgy though, the pics don't really flow from one to the other. I'm sure you could do a better job of it.

Speaking of prehistoric plants, here are my hoop pines, which I raised from seeds and am quite proud of. Araucaria is a genus that dinosaurs would have fed on. This is A. cunninghamii. They're about two years old.

I like plants with a prehistoric feel. We have Cycads and various palms in the yard, but I've never had much luck with tree ferns,  although I might try again soon.

SidB

Those Araucarias seem to be pretty fast growers.

triceratops83

Quote from: SidB on February 19, 2024, 01:11:12 AMThose Araucarias seem to be pretty fast growers.

They're doing well. Still got a lot of growing to do - they can get up to 60 metres!

Halichoeres

I love Araucaria! One of my friends has one in her apartment, not sure what her plan is once it gets past three meters.

triceratops83

Quote from: Halichoeres on February 21, 2024, 01:00:38 PMI love Araucaria! One of my friends has one in her apartment, not sure what her plan is once it gets past three meters.

Which species does she have? I think I'll plant these in the yard somewhere once they get as tall as me.

Halichoeres

Quote from: triceratops83 on February 22, 2024, 03:50:22 AM
Quote from: Halichoeres on February 21, 2024, 01:00:38 PMI love Araucaria! One of my friends has one in her apartment, not sure what her plan is once it gets past three meters.

Which species does she have? I think I'll plant these in the yard somewhere once they get as tall as me.

I'm not sure. I guess it's possible it's a species that could survive outdoors in Chicago, but I doubt it.

SidB

Quote from: Halichoeres on February 22, 2024, 01:02:26 PM
Quote from: triceratops83 on February 22, 2024, 03:50:22 AM

I'm not sure. I guess it's possible it's a species that could survive outdoors in Chicago, but I doubt it.
The Monkey Puzzle, Araucaria araucana has been grown in Vancouver, British Columbia and can endure to temperatures slightly below 32 degrees F for short intervals , but would have no chance of survival in Chicago. Araucaria  heterophylla itself will not survive any freezing temperatures. It is best treated as a tropical plant. I've seen it growing in Trinidad, W.I.

triceratops83

Quote from: Halichoeres on February 22, 2024, 01:02:26 PMI'm not sure. I guess it's possible it's a species that could survive outdoors in Chicago, but I doubt it.

Now I'm really curious as to what she's going to do with it once it gets too tall. Guess you can't just plant it in a park or anything.

Quote from: SidB on February 22, 2024, 01:18:29 PMThe Monkey Puzzle, Araucaria araucana has been grown in Vancouver, British Columbia and can endure to temperatures slightly below 32 degrees F for short intervals , but would have no chance of survival in Chicago. Araucaria  heterophylla itself will not survive any freezing temperatures. It is best treated as a tropical plant. I've seen it growing in Trinidad, W.I.

A. heterophylla was my first attempt to grow pines, but I couldn't get any of the seeds to germinate

SidB

Quote from: triceratops83 on February 22, 2024, 09:55:10 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on February 22, 2024, 01:02:26 PMI'm not sure. I guess it's possible it's a species that could survive outdoors in Chicago, but I doubt it.

Now I'm really curious as to what she's going to do with it once it gets too tall. Guess you can't just plant it in a park or anything.

Quote from: SidB on February 22, 2024, 01:18:29 PMThe Monkey Puzzle, Araucaria araucana has been grown in Vancouver, British Columbia and can endure to temperatures slightly below 32 degrees F for short intervals , but would have no chance of survival in Chicago. Araucaria  heterophylla itself will not survive any freezing temperatures. It is best treated as a tropical plant. I've seen it growing in Trinidad, W.I.

A. heterophylla was my first attempt to grow pines, but I couldn't get any of the seeds to germinate
Since they don't require any stratification or scarification (as far as I know, I could be mistaken), it's very possible that your batch of A. heterophylla seed had lost its viability.

Halichoeres

Maybe it will be time for a road trip to the Pacific Northwest! Or Chile.

triceratops83

Quote from: SidB on February 23, 2024, 11:08:16 AMSince they don't require any stratification or scarification (as far as I know, I could be mistaken), it's very possible that your batch of A. heterophylla seed had lost its viability.

I had to leave the hoop pine seeds in a bucket of water for a few weeks before planting them. I had about twenty seeds to start with.

Quote from: Halichoeres on February 23, 2024, 12:08:11 PMMaybe it will be time for a road trip to the Pacific Northwest! Or Chile.

Doesn't get too cold around the Cascadia region?

I had to order a present for someone on Minizoo, so I figured I'd grab the Safari Albertosaurus. I've been meaning to pick this up since it was released - I love the colouration. It looks both fantastic and realistic at the same time, like the dappling effect would work as camouflage in the shadows of trees.

Halichoeres

Quote from: triceratops83 on February 23, 2024, 11:36:26 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on February 23, 2024, 12:08:11 PMMaybe it will be time for a road trip to the Pacific Northwest! Or Chile.

Doesn't get too cold around the Cascadia region?

Not along the coast, it's a very mild maritime climate. Sid mentioned seeing them in Vancouver, I've also seen them in parks in Seattle. But I think that's the hardiest species, A. araucana. Probably some of the more fully tropical species wouldn't tolerate it.

I also like that Albertosaurus. I agree about the patterning, it absolutely would work in a forest.

Halichoeres

Going back to the topic of plants, have you considered flat plants? Berliner Zinnfiguren and Schmalkalder Zinnfiguren make prehistoric plants from flat metal, which gives displays some depth while having a narrower footprint. They come unpainted, but I've seen you paint much more difficult subjects.

Berliner:
https://www.zinnfigur.com/en/Flat-Figures/Unpainted-figures/Animals-Plants/Primeval-Plants/

Schmalkalder:
https://www.schmalkalder-zinnfiguren.de/30-mm-flachfiguren/erdgeschichte-bis-ca-5000-v-chr/entstehung-der-erde-teil-1/

triceratops83

Thanks avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres ! I've seen similar in your collection thread but just assumed they were vintage and hard to get a hold of, but yeah, they would definitely work for me.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: