News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari retiring in 2024 figures

Started by Sim, July 01, 2024, 01:50:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

I was on Safari's website and saw that some of their excellent prehistoric figures are in their retired section.  They are discounted now.  The Wild Safari figures that are retired that weren't when Shane last revealed what was retiring are:

Baby woolly mammoth
Daeodon
Microraptor
Iguanodon
Anzu
Archaeopteryx
Baryonyx

Primeval12

BlueKrono

We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Sim

Whenever Safari retires a prehistoric mammal, their prehistoric Cenozoic range looks so small.  I'm shocked the Microraptor and Archaeopteryx have been retired, who wouldn't want them?  The iridescence on the Archaeopteryx is nothing short of impressive!  The Iguanodon was just too small, like the WS Deinocheirus.  I'm saddened by the Anzu's retirement, it's a unique and excellent figure, the same as for the WS Citipati.  It's so sad they are both retired.  It seems more unlikely Safari will make a Gigantoraptor soon.  The Baryonyx getting retired surprises me as it's such a recent figure and it's of a popular animal.  Personally, I think the figure doesn't do a good job at representing Baryonyx, maybe that is a sentiment more widely-held than one might expect?

Faelrin

I'm surprised to see the Baryonyx go so soon, as well as the Archaeopteryx, and Iguanodon. A shame to see the Anzu go as well, which means there goes both their beautiful oviraptorosaurs, which were really the only ones on the market anyways.

Worth noting there is a sale going for 15% for $50 or over on their website. The downside is there's no free shipping unless over $100, and they really don't pack well these days.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

suspsy

Sad as it may be, we have to remind ourselves that Safari isn't just doing this randomly. They pick toys that simply aren't selling that great, regardless of how well-crafted they are. It's just business, if you'll pardon the tired phrase. :-\

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

SpartanSquat

Sad to see some of these gone. One I see its gone totally its uintatherium. Really sad because its my fave uintatherium figure.
Other gone figures are edmontosaurus, psittacosaurus. These were announced to be retired.

Concavenator

A pity to see these gone...

avatar_Sim @Sim Thanks for passing the news on to us, I always like being made aware of a company's retirements.

Gwangi

The Baryonyx is shocking. I don't have the Iguanodon or Archaeopteryx but I don't think I need those. I got the Daeodon this past winter.

Sim

avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi, I recommend the Archaeopteryx.  It's sculpting is excellent and it has a realistic iridescence that looks just like a real bird's.

Gwangi

Quote from: Sim on July 01, 2024, 06:27:20 PMavatar_Gwangi @Gwangi, I recommend the Archaeopteryx.  It's sculpting is excellent and it has a realistic iridescence that looks just like a real bird's.

I don't really like the pose of it but I should probably get it anyway. Better decide sooner than later!

GojiraGuy1954

Safari try not to retire everything good they've ever made challenge
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Pachyrhinosaurus

Shame to see some of these go. Especially the Daeodon. It looks like the Great Dinosaurs line is going to be extinct this year, too.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

CityRaptor

Once again shows that kids ( or their parents ) have bad taste.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

SpartanSquat

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on July 01, 2024, 10:21:58 PMShame to see some of these go. Especially the Daeodon. It looks like the Great Dinosaurs line is going to be extinct this year, too.
Now you said it, yeah looks like this line will be retired. I was wondering how much time this line resisted. Other ones Im seeing in discount is the green t-rex that was rereleased too many times.

stargatedalek

Some of these are surprises and some are not. A few of these had good runs going on ten years.

SpartanSquat

Well I saw safari 2023 catalogue and the figures mentioned they were going to retire are retired. Not the ones mentioned in this thread but edmonto, qianzhou, shringa, conca, vaga, uinta are gone
Also no 2024 catalogue...looks like they are changing the strategy

Halichoeres

I think we need to get used to the idea of most Safari figures only being in production a handful of years. It has to be expensive to keep a mold in operation, especially when most sales are going to be either 1) in the first year, or 2) at the tail end when people realize their chances are running out.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Primeval12

I grabbed the Iguanadon. I suggest getting the Anzu as well. I sure will be getting a second one!

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Halichoeres on July 08, 2024, 05:13:11 PMI think we need to get used to the idea of most Safari figures only being in production a handful of years. It has to be expensive to keep a mold in operation, especially when most sales are going to be either 1) in the first year, or 2) at the tail end when people realize their chances are running out.
It's odd because I see literally no other company having this issue, at least not this severe. What is going on at Safari?
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: