News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari retiring in 2024 figures

Started by Sim, July 01, 2024, 01:50:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwangi

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on July 09, 2024, 11:08:33 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on July 08, 2024, 05:13:11 PMI think we need to get used to the idea of most Safari figures only being in production a handful of years. It has to be expensive to keep a mold in operation, especially when most sales are going to be either 1) in the first year, or 2) at the tail end when people realize their chances are running out.
It's odd because I see literally no other company having this issue, at least not this severe. What is going on at Safari?

Likewise, does CollectA ever retire anything?

Carnoking

Whether something is going on behind the scenes or not, I caved and ordered a few of these retired figures plus some that I haven't gotten around to during their 4th of July sale. Here's hoping there's no underlying issues afoot.

Concavenator

Quote from: SpartanSquat on July 06, 2024, 03:55:25 PMAlso no 2024 catalogue...looks like they are changing the strategy

Well, do we know whether or not Safari intends to release any new prehistoric figures for 2024 (or any new figures, generally speaking) to begin with? S @Shane

Shane

There is a catalog coming out this year as well as new figures, some of which will be revealed soon.

Concavenator

S @Shane Thank you for the confirmation! Very much looking forward to the announcements!  :D

Halichoeres

Quote from: Gwangi on July 09, 2024, 11:35:46 PM
Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on July 09, 2024, 11:08:33 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on July 08, 2024, 05:13:11 PMI think we need to get used to the idea of most Safari figures only being in production a handful of years. It has to be expensive to keep a mold in operation, especially when most sales are going to be either 1) in the first year, or 2) at the tail end when people realize their chances are running out.
It's odd because I see literally no other company having this issue, at least not this severe. What is going on at Safari?

Likewise, does CollectA ever retire anything?

They've retired a bunch of things in the past few years, although you're right that they tend to keep most things in production a very long time. They probably have a different cost profile being based in Hong Kong. I don't know that for sure, but I'd be surprised if that isn't an advantage.

On another topic, I don't want to speak for Shane, but my impression is that he is mainly on the forum as a fellow collector and enthusiast, rather than in an official role on behalf of Safari. For that reason, I've tried to avoid tagging him when I'm curious about something, to try to respect that distinction. I don't want him to feel like he's on the clock when he's here. But that's just my impression and I could be mistaken.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

SpartanSquat

Thanks for the info shane! I hope the release are soon like past years, showing stuff near the end of summer and beginning of september

Shane

Quote from: Halichoeres on July 10, 2024, 09:38:09 PMOn another topic, I don't want to speak for Shane, but my impression is that he is mainly on the forum as a fellow collector and enthusiast, rather than in an official role on behalf of Safari. For that reason, I've tried to avoid tagging him when I'm curious about something, to try to respect that distinction. I don't want him to feel like he's on the clock when he's here. But that's just my impression and I could be mistaken.

This is more or less correct, and I appreciate the thought. As evidenced by my posts in other non-Safari related boards, my presence here (and on the ATF) is first and foremost as someone who enjoys prehistoric and extant animal figures.

That said, I don't mind sharing things when I can. But it's not always my place to speak on certain topics related to Safari, even if I may know the answer, it may not be something I can publicly speak to. I'm not really on these boards in an "official" capacity, though I do enjoy sharing info about new items when I am able, and I don't mind answering questions (when it's a topic I am free to speak on).

But yes, as you said I'm not really here as a liaison or sounding board. I only ever really "revealed" myself when there were comments a few years ago about Safari being in trouble because they hadn't released or revealed anything (which...is kinda familiar now that I think about it), so I decided to dispel what fears I could.

suspsy

I do hope that the Therizinosaurus is released very soon. Next month it'll have been an entire year since it was first revealed.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Shane

Quote from: suspsy on July 11, 2024, 01:43:30 PMI do hope that the Therizinosaurus is released very soon. Next month it'll have been an entire year since it was first revealed.

I believe it's currently on track to arrive in August.

It wasn't meant to take so long to come out, it just ended up having to go through a few more revisions than your typical figure, which unfortunately caused some delays.

It's the trade-off of revealing items early; sometimes unforeseen issues crop up.

But it's expected to arrive next month.

SpartanSquat

So therizino got revisions like zuul? I hope it wont get nerfs like zuul, first reviews looked cool and the final one got a homer simpson mouth

stargatedalek

Personally I am in favour of early announcements, especially when companies are open about release dates being uncertain and when delays occur. But perhaps I am just used to it from model kits and smaller company figures.

Shane

Quote from: SpartanSquat on July 11, 2024, 05:05:35 PMSo therizino got revisions like zuul? I hope it wont get nerfs like zuul, first reviews looked cool and the final one got a homer simpson mouth

No. The revisions were things that most folks would never think or care about, things like where to place tracking info so it's properly readable, etc.

What happened with Zuul was not due to any Safari revision. I discussed it back when the figure was released; in short the factory was advised to adjust the paint on the beak/mouth for future production runs to closer match the original samples.

suspsy

Quote from: Shane on July 11, 2024, 01:53:36 PM
Quote from: suspsy on July 11, 2024, 01:43:30 PMI do hope that the Therizinosaurus is released very soon. Next month it'll have been an entire year since it was first revealed.

I believe it's currently on track to arrive in August.

It wasn't meant to take so long to come out, it just ended up having to go through a few more revisions than your typical figure, which unfortunately caused some delays.

It's the trade-off of revealing items early; sometimes unforeseen issues crop up.

But it's expected to arrive next month.

Well, that's pleasing news, thanks! I'm slated to review that sucker, so I guess I'll get to work on writing an introduction now.

Faelrin

In addition to these that avatar_Sim @Sim posted:

-2015 Archaeopteryx
-2018 Anzu
 -2021 Baryonyx
-2016 (reissue) Baby woolly mammoth
-2018 Daeodon
-2017 Microraptor
-2016 Iguanodon

it looks like these are also retiring for this year:

-2021 Dino Dana Baby Quetzalcoatlus
-2021 Dino Dana Baby Spinosaurus
-2021 Dino Dana Baby Stegosaurus
-2021 Dino Dana Baby Triceratops
-2021 Dino Dana Baby T. rex
-2021 Dino Dana T. rex Baby with Augmented Reality
-Great Dinos Apatosaurus
-Great Dinos Stegosaurus
-Great Dinos Triceratops
-Great Dinos Tyrannosaurus
-Great Dinos Velociraptor
-2018 Good Luck Minis Velociraptor
-2021 Mythical Realms Armored Triceratops
-2021 Mythical Realms Armored Tyrannosaurus
-Safariology Jaw Snapping Tyrannosaurus
-Toob Dino Babies Bulk Bag

Can you please confirm S @Shane that these are being retired for this year (if not during previous years)?
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Gwangi

The Dino Dana merchandise didn't stick around long. I still think it's weird that Safari started doing Dino Dana figures AFTER the movie was released and the show ended.

suspsy

The Mythic Realms dinosaurs really didn't take off, did they? I'm not at all surprised. They were super expensive and the retro designs struck me as a strange choice. It's sad because on paper at least, armoured dinosaurs sounds like a really cool concept.

triceratops83

That's a pity concerning the Great Dinos line. I really liked those toys and think they're a great option for kids - they're big, lightweight, inexpensive and I imagine they have a great deal of playability. Hopefully Safari will update this line.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Fembrogon

I'll salute the Great Dinosaurs figures; it feels like they've been around forever. I have the Spinosaurus and the Therizinosaurus (in storage currently), and both hold a good place in my heart.

It's a pity to see more feathered dino figures getting retired; but I'm frankly appalled that the 2021 Baryonyx isn't selling well enough to stay in production. It's a big theropod, a historically notable discovery, and a cousin of the ever-popular Spinosaurus. Either Safari's consumer base or their retail partners are doing them dirty.

suspsy

Shane acknowledged previously that the reason Safari retires toys is because they're not selling well enough, so it is indeed the fault of the consumer base that the Baryonyx is being retired. I don't know, maybe if it had been painted in more vivid colours, it would have sold better? Or maybe it's just not an exciting enough species. No one can predict what children will or won't go for.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: