News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO: New for 2022

Started by Renecito, January 05, 2022, 12:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwangi

If PNSO does a good Suchomimus I'll definitely be interested. I don't have the Safari figure and honestly, I only have 3 spinosaurids in my cabinet. The old orange Favorite Spinosaurus and the Safari and Invicta Baryonyx. I don't like most of the spinosaurid offerings currently available.

Yes, I too would like to see PNSO move on from large theropods but seeing as how I only have a few PNSO theropods as it is I'm still eager to see how they'll turn out. As far big theropods go though, give us a Deinocheirus, Therizinosaurus, or Gigantoraptor. 

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: SenSx on May 26, 2022, 05:35:06 PM
Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on May 26, 2022, 05:01:38 PM
Quote from: SenSx on May 26, 2022, 04:02:33 PM
Quote from: Faras on May 26, 2022, 03:47:44 PMHmm I'd take Paleofiguras' rumours with a grain of salt, as I don't know if all info (namely ichthyosaur and plesiosaur in this case) came from trusted source.

Meanwhile the Chinese forum moderator who posed previous list wrote some stuffs in WeChat group:

Sauropods (no clue of the scales as he didn't ask)
Lingwulong
Suchomimus

Again, just *rumours* ;)

Suchomimus would be incredible.
I was resigned to get the Safari one in the end, the only one out there.
The figure is ok, but felt a bit lower quality compare to their later products, I don't like the pose, and find it maybe too small (that thing is huge).
The vitae one hypped me a lot, but it seems to be cancelled for good.
Hope that rumor is true !

PNSO should do more Spinosaurids, they're the only dinosaurs that would reasonably be lipless

I agree but it is a bit too late for me now.
We have enough Spinosaurus, and I'm very happy with the Safari Baryonyx.
So the Suchomimus would be a very good choice indeed !
We don't have a good Ichthyovenator
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Concavenator

Paleofiguras also said there are rumours for a new wave of aquatic creatures for the standard range (but as avatar_Faras @Faras said, take this with a grain of salt).

I probably won't be interested in anything from the marine creatures, because I'm not focused on non-dinosaurs. If I'm interested in any particular non-dinosaur, CollectA and Safari are usually my go-to as they're cheaper over here. I think some sauropods could interest me, an Apatosaurus, specially. But I'm easily looking forward to the Suchomimus the most.

It would be nice if PNSO starts exploring some other groups of dinosaurs, but I also admit there are still certain genera of big theropods, ceratopsids, stegosaurids and ornithopods that I would like to see.

Gwangi

I hope they surprise us with a few more fish this year. Would love to see a Eusthenopteron or Hyneria, Xenacanthus or Stethacanthus.

Renecito

I personally would love to see more sea creatures from PNSO but if they say it's just a rumor I think they are already suggesting to take it with a grain of salt.
Favorite Brands:              Favorite Dinosaurs:
1 - PNSO                        1 - Carnotaurus
2 - Vitae                         2 - Spinosaurus/Suchomimus
3 - Eofauna                     3 - Therizinosaurus
4 - Carnegie Line             4 - Deinocheirus
5 - CollectA                     5 - Gigantoraptor

Fembrogon

Quote from: Gwangi on May 26, 2022, 08:09:57 PMYes, I too would like to see PNSO move on from large theropods but seeing as how I only have a few PNSO theropods as it is I'm still eager to see how they'll turn out. As far big theropods go though, give us a Deinocheirus, Therizinosaurus, or Gigantoraptor. 
I'm in full agreement here, especially on Deinocheirus. Honestly, I think Deinocheirus has become a genus I kind of want to see ALL of the major brands tackle at least once - not because I'm dissatisfied with current offerings, but because it's such a weird and now well-known genus that I just think it deserves more attention.

Gwangi

Quote from: Fembrogon on May 27, 2022, 02:10:52 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on May 26, 2022, 08:09:57 PMYes, I too would like to see PNSO move on from large theropods but seeing as how I only have a few PNSO theropods as it is I'm still eager to see how they'll turn out. As far big theropods go though, give us a Deinocheirus, Therizinosaurus, or Gigantoraptor. 
I'm in full agreement here, especially on Deinocheirus. Honestly, I think Deinocheirus has become a genus I kind of want to see ALL of the major brands tackle at least once - not because I'm dissatisfied with current offerings, but because it's such a weird and now well-known genus that I just think it deserves more attention.

Since the discovery of more complete remains, Deinocheirus has quickly become one of my favorite dinosaurs. It's funny, when we were watching Prehistoric Planet I told my wife that Deinocheirus is basically a dinosaur that's doing what we once thought hadrosaurs did. It looks and behaves like a gigantic duck more so than the actual "duck-bills". Anyway, I don't have a Deinocheirus yet. I plan on getting Safari's but keep putting it on the backburner. This might be the year though.

Halichoeres

Lingwulong sounds pretty cool. Mid-sized sauropods are always welcome in my book. If they're doing some marine reptiles, that's also welcome news. Early last year I was getting a little bored with PNSO because they had a long string of very similar theropods and a few ornithischians, but later in the year they put out Dunkleosteus, Cretoxyrhina, Helicoprion, Livyatan, and Himalayasaurus, and in the end they had a really diverse lineup. With luck, this year might show a similar pattern. PNSO is so prolific that I guess it doesn't make sense to gripe too much about what they're making now, because soon enough they'll be making something you like better.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Faelrin

avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi I'm kind of in the same boat, after we got those two partial skeletons, although it always had appeal prior when left to the imagination when it was only just the two arms and hands. Though as a child I definitely didn't imagine it would look anything like this of course, lol. I have the Safari Ltd Deinocheirus and got it years ago, and it is still one of my favorite takes on it after all this time. I would be very curious to see how PNSO would tackle this beast however, and it would be more then welcome to add to my collection. 

avatar_Fembrogon @Fembrogon Right there with you in this regard. Hopefully Prehistoric Planet boosts its appeal more in the mainstream.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Bread

I hope for a Deinocheirus from someone, preferably in 1/30 to 1/35 scale. I'd love for it to size up against most figures we currently have.

So odd that PNSO won't tackle any large feathered species. They did Yutyrannus, a great figure I may add, but nothing else?

dinofelid

Quote from: Bread on May 29, 2022, 07:14:43 PMI hope for a Deinocheirus from someone, preferably in 1/30 to 1/35 scale. I'd love for it to size up against most figures we currently have.

So odd that PNSO won't tackle any large feathered species. They did Yutyrannus, a great figure I may add, but nothing else?

Arguably Deinocheirus may have been more likely to have had either bare skin or only light/patchy fuzz due to thermoregulation issues for animals of its size (significantly more massive than Yutyrannnus), even if its smaller relatives did have more thick feathering--see this post from Mark Witton along with the discussion starting on p. 14 of the Eofauna 2022 thread.

stargatedalek

Quote from: dinofelid on May 29, 2022, 07:47:34 PM
Quote from: Bread on May 29, 2022, 07:14:43 PMI hope for a Deinocheirus from someone, preferably in 1/30 to 1/35 scale. I'd love for it to size up against most figures we currently have.

Arguably Deinocheirus may have been more likely to have had either bare skin or only light/patchy fuzz due to thermoregulation issues for animals of its size (significantly more massive than Yutyrannnus), even if its smaller relatives did have more thick feathering--see this post from Mark Witton along with the discussion starting on p. 14 of the Eofauna 2022 thread.
Except that that's not how feathers work, feathers disperse heat as well as insulate. Witton also justified those "3 ton metric" theories heavily by referencing the expectation that ground sloths were bald, but we've since found preserved fur from ground sloths.

Bread

Quote from: stargatedalek on May 29, 2022, 08:02:17 PM
Quote from: dinofelid on May 29, 2022, 07:47:34 PM

Except that that's not how feathers work, feathers disperse heat as well as insulate. Witton also justified those "3 ton metric" theories heavily by referencing the expectation that ground sloths were bald, but we've since found preserved fur from ground sloths.
Regardless, bare skin or fully feathered, I'd love to see this genus receive a gorgeous figure at a 1/30 to 1/35 scale.

Sim

I'm pretty sure I've read Mark Witton say before that ground sloth with fur preserved aren't new and are smaller than the giants or are from cold environments.

dinofelid

Quote from: dinofelid on May 29, 2022, 07:47:34 PMArguably Deinocheirus may have been more likely to have had either bare skin or only light/patchy fuzz due to thermoregulation issues for animals of its size (significantly more massive than Yutyrannnus), even if its smaller relatives did have more thick feathering--see this post from Mark Witton along with the discussion starting on p. 14 of the Eofauna 2022 thread.

I addressed these arguments on the other thread--on point #1, see my post here (along with the last paragraph of this post) about how the evidence only supports the idea that feathers can diminish external heating from sunlight, but how there's no experimental evidence (or physics-based theoretical argument) that feathers would aid in dispersal of internally generated heat, which is what Witton was saying would be the main issue for larger animals (rooted in physical arguments about body volume growing like length^3 while skin surface area grows like length^2). On point #2, see my post here about how Witton did not actually claim that ground sloths would be bald, just that they would not have the long "shaggy" fur they're often seen with in paleoart, and how the current evidence for giant sloth fur suggests it was pretty short. Likewise as I said above, a Deinocheirus with "only light/patchy fuzz" might still be plausible according to Witton's argument, he mainly seemed to be arguing against the "walking haystack" depictions of Deinocheirus with long shaggy feathers all over the body.

stargatedalek

Quote from: dinofelid on May 29, 2022, 08:57:40 PM
Quote from: dinofelid on May 29, 2022, 07:47:34 PMArguably Deinocheirus may have been more likely to have had either bare skin or only light/patchy fuzz due to thermoregulation issues for animals of its size (significantly more massive than Yutyrannnus), even if its smaller relatives did have more thick feathering--see this post from Mark Witton along with the discussion starting on p. 14 of the Eofauna 2022 thread.

I addressed these arguments on the other thread--on point #1, see my post here (along with the last paragraph of this post) about how the evidence only supports the idea that feathers can diminish external heating from sunlight, but how there's no experimental evidence (or physics-based theoretical argument) that feathers would aid in dispersal of internally generated heat, which is what Witton was saying would be the main issue for larger animals (rooted in physical arguments about body volume growing like length^3 while skin surface area grows like length^2). On point #2, see my post here about how Witton did not actually claim that ground sloths would be bald, just that they would not have the long "shaggy" fur they're often seen with in paleoart, and how the current evidence for giant sloth fur suggests it was pretty short. Likewise as I said above, a Deinocheirus with "only light/patchy fuzz" might still be plausible according to Witton's argument, he mainly seemed to be arguing against the "walking haystack" depictions of Deinocheirus with long shaggy feathers all over the body.
Your first point is relevant for the primitive feathers of emus and Tyrannosaurs. Deinocheirus as an ornithomimid would have had the ability for more derived feathers with traditional shafts (even though ornithomimids typically have more primitive feathers on their bodies, they show the presence of both), which transport blood along them and absolutely, provably, do allow animals to disperse internally generated heat.

No, it didn't have three foot long strands of shaggy sloth clumps, that's just not how feathers (even relatively primitive ones) grow. But it also fundamentally should not be depicted as bald or scaled, and there is no serious reason to think it would have been feathered to any extent less than birds, therizinosaurs, etc.

dinofelid

Quote from: stargatedalek on May 30, 2022, 12:15:09 AMYour first point is relevant for the primitive feathers of emus and Tyrannosaurs. Deinocheirus as an ornithomimid would have had the ability for more derived feathers with traditional shafts (even though ornithomimids typically have more primitive feathers on their bodies, they show the presence of both), which transport blood along them and absolutely, provably, do allow animals to disperse internally generated heat.

That's an interesting argument (which wasn't raised on the other thread as far as I remember), but when you say the blood running through the shaft "provably" allows birds to disperse internal heat, do you just mean that the blood flowing through the feathers allows for more heat dispersal than if a bird had otherwise identical feathers with less blood running through them, or do you mean that the effect of heat dispersal from blood running through feathers provably outweighs the heat-retaining effect of feathers as insulation, so that a feathered bird disperses internally generated heat even faster than a naked bird would? If the latter do you know of any studies or calculations that try to show this? Intuitively the latter seems implausible since many birds grow more feathers in the winter to keep warm, and I don't think it's just more downy feathers--for example, this paper says of the new winter feathers that 'these feathers are the same color as the others and merely "fill out" the plumage without noticeably changing its appearance'. Also, a bird's newly-grown feathers or "blood feathers" have more blood running through them than mature feathers, if blood running through feathers played such an important role in heat dispersal one might think birds in hot climates would have evolved so that feathers would retain extra blood flow in their mature form.

postsaurischian

I'm getting a bit tired of reading what people want PNSO to make for the nth time when I open this "New for 2022" thread ::) .
 I really don't care. And if I did I would open the "Hopes and Dreams" thread.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Gwangi on May 26, 2022, 09:37:35 PMI hope they surprise us with a few more fish this year. Would love to see a Eusthenopteron or Hyneria, Xenacanthus or Stethacanthus.
I'd buy a Tiktaalik
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

rm0918

Just received a shipping update from Amazon for the Sinraptor.  Instead of July, it will be delivered between June 4 & 6.  The Acro is also available for Prime shipping and can be delivered between June 6 & 7.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: