News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - New for 2022

Started by Halichoeres, January 19, 2022, 06:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: suspsy on January 20, 2022, 08:51:06 PM
What I'd really like with regard to the dire wolf is for either Safari or CollectA to make an entire family. They do it for many of their modern animals, so how about a male and female in different poses along with one or two pups?

They used to do that, like with the old Lions, Tigers, and wolves.  They could I guess not surewhy they wouldn't unless it wouldn't sell.

Pliosaurking

A patagotitan sounds awesome. I still do hope we get a crocodylomorph or pliosaur of some kind though

Halichoeres

Quote from: Duna on January 19, 2022, 08:54:33 PM
Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on January 19, 2022, 07:55:06 PM
The listing comes out to about $34, which is more than any dinosaur currently on Safari's website, but less than the big Carnegie sauropods. I'm thinking it'll probably be bigger than the amargasaurus.
A Patagotitan at 30€ will be almost certainly huge! I want it huge like the Camarasaurus, I cross my fingers ...  :))

The Camarasaurus is listed on the same site at 16€ so it might be quite large. It's possible that the Camarasaurus was somewhat more when first released, however. I would have guessed similar in overall bulk to the Camarasaurus, perhaps somewhat longer but not as tall, but who knows...

Quote from: Flaffy on January 19, 2022, 09:56:21 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on January 19, 2022, 06:22:26 PM
(with an expected delivery date of June 2022!).

Oh wow, I wonder if the official reveal will be that late then. As it seems that Safari ltd likes to reveal things as they become available for sale.
Contrary to most other companies that reveal new products a couple months before they're available.

It could be just a placeholder date to hedge their bets. I think that in general Safari figures are available a bit earlier in North America than in Europe. I imagine they're available earlier in China too given that they're made there.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Shane

Quote from: Halichoeres on January 21, 2022, 12:33:59 PM

The Camarasaurus is listed on the same site at 16€ so it might be quite large. It's possible that the Camarasaurus was somewhat more when first released, however. I would have guessed similar in overall bulk to the Camarasaurus, perhaps somewhat longer but not as tall, but who knows...

It could be just a placeholder date to hedge their bets. I think that in general Safari figures are available a bit earlier in North America than in Europe. I imagine they're available earlier in China too given that they're made there.

Hmmm interesting thoughts.

Concavenator

Thanks for starting the thread, avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres

If a Patagotitan is indeed coming, that's exciting news. I also hope they keep updating some of the genera from the Carnegie line. I would gladly take a new Maiasaura and Albertosaurus.

Jose S.M.

They revealed their "new" tancho koi on Facebook. That was one of the new listed figures right on the ATF right? Maybe they will start the reveal this weekend

Sim

Quote from: Pliosaurking on January 21, 2022, 01:36:01 AM
A patagotitan sounds awesome. I still do hope we get a crocodylomorph or pliosaur of some kind though

I think there's more need from Safari for a new long-necked plesiosauroid than a short-necked pliosauroid.  The Wild Safari line has two short-necked pliosauroids and only one long-necked plesiosauroid.  The most recent pliosauroid is from 2017, the most recent plesiosauroid is from 2013.

Faelrin

I think you make a good point there avatar_Sim @Sim. That also got me thinking about how strange it is that most companies these days don't even offer a figure of one of the most iconic plesiosaurs, Plesiosaurus itself.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

suspsy

Cryptocleidus would a great choice for a long-necked plesiosaur. So would Plesiosaurus itself.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Gwangi

Quote from: Faelrin on January 21, 2022, 05:45:23 PM
I think you make a good point there avatar_Sim @Sim. That also got me thinking about how strange it is that most companies these days don't even offer a figure of one of the most iconic plesiosaurs, Plesiosaurus itself.

I was recently thinking about this myself, we could use an actual Plesiosaurus. I've been contemplating getting Favorite's.

Fembrogon

I'm also rather surprised there aren't more Plesiosaurus figures, or ANY Cryptocleidus toys. You'd think at least someone would have considered it after Walking With Dinosaurs, but I guess it just wasn't a high-profile enough genus in the show.

CarnotaurusKing

I can't wait. If it is indeed Patagotitan, it's a day 1 purchase for me (metaphorically, I'm not in a position to be throwing money around like that  ::)). I'm glad Safari's doing another sauropod, they're always homeruns. One thing I like that Safari does is give their sauropods the "walk" style gait.

QuoteRecent elephants (and other land dwelling, tall and heavy weight mammals) use a four beat gait, called walk, where the limbs of one side move, before the ones on the other side move. This is in stark contrast to the trot, where two diagonally limbs move at once before the other two have their turn. This kind of locomotion is seen in lizards for example
(from Lanthanotus's review of the EoFauna Deinotherium)

Even EoFauna's sauropods (both in print and in plastic) are pretty much always depicted in a "trot" (though they're still near perfect reconstructions). It may not be wrong, but the "walk" looks more natural to me.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

EEEEEE I'm so hyped for the Patagotitan rumor!!

Quote from: Jose S.M. on January 21, 2022, 04:29:46 PM
They revealed their "new" tancho koi on Facebook. That was one of the new listed figures right on the ATF right? Maybe they will start the reveal this weekend

lol, I got an email notification about the Koi, which made me rush straight here to the forum to see if there were any more reveals.  :))

Quote from: profnik on January 20, 2022, 05:33:38 PM
An I'm waiting for safari ltd 2022 prehistoric collection for list of sculptors

BTW avatar_profnik @profnik we generally have seperate threads for guesses/wishlists:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.0

I'm trying to temper my hype so I'm not disappointed by a half-sized version, but the Spielzug price tag has me dreaming that this comparison pic I took with the Patagotitan children's book "Titanosaur" might come true...
I was inspired to take this when I realized that if you hold up the little 1:40 Collecta dude to the page, he's about the same size as David Attenborough in this picture.
(It's a pretty cool book, btw. I recommend it.)
https://dinodadreviews.com/2020/01/05/titanosaur-discovering-the-worlds-largest-dinosaur/

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: CarnotaurusKing on January 21, 2022, 11:25:53 PM
Even EoFauna's sauropods (both in print and in plastic) are pretty much always depicted in a "trot" (though they're still near perfect reconstructions). It may not be wrong, but the "walk" looks more natural to me.

Sauropods would have the ability to go surprisingly fast for their size
(Last 2 columns are KMPH and MPS)
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Patrx

If other recent Safari sauropods are any indicator of what we'd be in for (especially Doug's absolutely beautiful Camarasaurus) I would definitely be interested in a Safari Patagotitan. As to its scale, I personally couldn't care less as long as it's a well-researched sculpt — which, again, it likely would be.

CarnotaurusKing

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on January 22, 2022, 06:21:43 PM
Quote from: CarnotaurusKing on January 21, 2022, 11:25:53 PM

Sauropods would have the ability to go surprisingly fast for their size
(Last 2 columns are KMPH and MPS)

I'm aware of that. What I'm referring to is the position of the legs while walking at a normal pace, with the front leg at an almost complete stride, while the back leg is still behind the back leg of the opposite side.

Like this:

Instead of this:

Or this:

That said, after flicking through the Facts and Figures book again, it's not as prevalent as I might have made it seem, and it doesn't detract from the reconstruction at all. And it's really just a silly personal preference.

Brocc21

I'd just like to see a Scutosaurus. The old Carnegie figure is very hard to come by, and when I do find one up for grabs its always out of my price range. I've been a fan of Scutosaurus since seeing it in WWM as a kid but I was never able to get my hands on a good figure.
"Boy do I hate being right all the time."

microraptorgui

Speaking of Patagotitan, back in August of 2017, Safari posted about its discovery on their Facebook page. I wonder if they started making plans to produce a figure of it way back then...

Here's the link: https://www.facebook.com/safariltd/posts/amazing-discovery-the-patagotitan-mayorum-was-the-largest-known-dinosaur-ever/10154855707448193/
I sell original dinosaur art on canvas, shirts, dresses, stickers, phone covers, and a whole bunch of other stuff!
Check it out at www.redbubble.com/people/microraptorgui/shop!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: