News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Shapeways

Started by tyrantqueen, December 01, 2012, 01:30:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

FYI, Allo is back on shapeways!
"I believe implicitly that every young man in the world is fascinated with either sharks or dinosaurs."
-Peter Benchley

tyrantqueen

I was browsing Shapeways and came across this, by Cgcookie:

It's probably anatomically impossible, but it's very cool looking.

Balaur

That actually looks really cool!

tyrantqueen

Galileo has just released a Edaphosaurus on Shapeways:

I have been waiting for a good replica of this pin head, so I ordered it. Shapeways is gonna bankrupt me one of these days >:D

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on November 12, 2013, 02:34:51 AM

I have been waiting for a good replica of this pin head, so I ordered it. Shapeways is gonna bankrupt me one of these days >:D
Lovely model.
Hey, if you're gonna go bankrupt, this is the best way to do it!  ;D ;)
"I believe implicitly that every young man in the world is fascinated with either sharks or dinosaurs."
-Peter Benchley

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus on November 12, 2013, 05:56:08 AM

Lovely model.
Yup :) Btw, speaking of Shapeways, have you decided what material you're going to order in?

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on November 12, 2013, 06:13:54 AM

Lovely model.
Yup :) Btw, speaking of Shapeways, have you decided what material you're going to order in?
I'm thinking about Black Strong and Flexible. I've heard that Black is preferable for painting to White Strong and Flexible-is that your experience?
-Peter Benchley

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus on November 12, 2013, 09:36:18 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on November 12, 2013, 06:13:54 AM

Lovely model.
I'm thinking about Black Strong and Flexible. I've heard that Black is preferable for painting to White Strong and Flexible-is that your experience?
I have not used Black before. However, I personally would not choose it because black is too dark. Acrylic paint usually tends to be transparent for at least 3 layers. That means that the black would show through the paint and make it darker than I might want it to be. I suppose this could be an advantage if you were working in a very dark colour scheme, but I personally find it much easier to start off light and go darker (I tend to prefer lighter colour schemes anyway). Starting off light gives me flexibility so that I can change my mind or correct myself if I mess up. Just my personal experience with painting I guess :)

tyrantqueen

1/20 Edaphosaurus, in WSF polished.

Zhuchengotyrant

'Joe' is back!
Also, about how long does it take a shapeways model to get to Miami
Thanks!
-Zhuchengotyrant

rammleid

I really love Krentz's chibi-chubbies line! The diplodocus is the first Shapewaves model I paint. It's Polished Strong & Flexible Plastic.

Sculpture: Diplodocus Chubbie by D. Krentz
Painting: me

Jetoar

[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Zhuchengotyrant

I just placed an order for the Bistahieversor by David Krentz! Hope you enjoy your money, Mr.Krentz! ;)
-Zhuchengotyrant

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Zhuchengotyrant on November 24, 2013, 05:25:39 AM
I just placed an order for the Bistahieversor by David Krentz! Hope you enjoy your money, Mr.Krentz! ;)
He (and all other artists) doesn't get the money you pay for the model. He only gets royalties from the model being sold. Just saying.

Zhuchengotyrant

Quote from: tyrantqueen on November 24, 2013, 07:02:45 AM
Quote from: Zhuchengotyrant on November 24, 2013, 05:25:39 AM
He (and all other artists) doesn't get the money you pay for the model. He only gets royalties from the model being sold. Just saying.
I never knew that! Thanks for telling me, TQ!
PS- how long does it take a model to get to Miami
-Zhuchengotyrant

Zhuchengotyrant

Is acrilyc paints the best paints to paint Shapeways WSF models? I really need to knowm by Dec 3!
-Zhuchengotyrant

Takama

Hello. I did not know if I should of made a separate thread for this or if it was ok to ask this here.

But what scale is best to collect Shapeways models in?

I noticed a lot of 1:40 and 1:70s on all of the shops. I ask what do you all recommend?

amargasaurus cazaui

In general the larger a model the more costly the project. That is one consideration for many when ordering. Another is your own space to display the models.....some prefer smaller sizes for this reason. The smaller scale models are quite small, and generally the larger models are more appealing from that perspective. I tend to mix and match....sometimes you can even order the smaller scale models as juveniles in the same scene with a larger model
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Takama on November 25, 2013, 02:29:27 AM
Hello. I did not know if I should of made a separate thread for this or if it was ok to ask this here.

I noticed a lot of 1:40 and 1:70s on all of the shops. I ask what do you all recommend?
I buy Shapeways models in the same scales as I buy toys in, but that's personal preference. If you don't have the money to spend on big scales, you should probably stick to the small ones. As the size of the model increases, so does the price you would have to pay for the material to print it (and exponentially I might add)

Btw, I thought you said you weren't using Shapeways? Did you change your mind?

Takama

Quote from: tyrantqueen on November 25, 2013, 05:01:14 AM
Quote from: Takama on November 25, 2013, 02:29:27 AM

I buy Shapeways models in the same scales as I buy toys in, but that's personal preference. If you don't have the money to spend on big scales, you should probably stick to the small ones. As the size of the model increases, so does the price you would have to pay for the material to print it (and exponentially I might add)

Btw, I thought you said you weren't using Shapeways? Did you change your mind?

There's so many cool looking models on there, but Mcbs Concavenator just blew my mind into thinking that I had to find a way to order.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: