News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Shapeways

Started by tyrantqueen, December 01, 2012, 01:30:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrantqueen

I saw that Galileo recently produced parts of a 1/15 Dimetrodon.

But sadly it wasn't for sale. It would be cool to see more artists try to release their models as 3D "kits". This could be a good option for those who prefer to buy their models in big scales.

Gorgonzola

Quote from: tyrantqueen on January 17, 2014, 08:09:24 AM

But sadly it wasn't for sale. It would be cool to see more artists try to release their models as 3D "kits". This could be a good option for those who prefer to buy their models in big scales.

I'd been toying around with the idea for a little bit - namely because I'd like to be able to put out some of the larger sauropods at 1/40, and to make them fit within printing dimensions they need to be cut (especially something like an apatosaurus or giraffatitan). Easy enough to slice up the model, but I've been trying to figure out how to make keys so the pieces can be oriented correctly and have a good snug fit (and provide some extra surface for glue to grip.) Still haven't figured out how to make a negative shape correspond with a positive one that I create.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Gorgonzola on January 17, 2014, 01:53:43 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on January 17, 2014, 08:09:24 AM

I'd been toying around with the idea for a little bit - namely because I'd like to be able to put out some of the larger sauropods at 1/40, and to make them fit within printing dimensions they need to be cut (especially something like an apatosaurus or giraffatitan). Easy enough to slice up the model, but I've been trying to figure out how to make keys so the pieces can be oriented correctly and have a good snug fit (and provide some extra surface for glue to grip.) Still haven't figured out how to make a negative shape correspond with a positive one that I create.
A 1/20 kit version of your Amargasaurus would be pretty cool. It would fit in with my Cryolophosaurus then, haha :)

Gorgonzola

Quote from: tyrantqueen on January 17, 2014, 02:02:22 PM
A 1/20 kit version of your Amargasaurus would be pretty cool. It would fit in with my Cryolophosaurus then, haha :)

Oh man, totally. I wouldn't mind seeing how big I can get a model by virtue of just, say, lopping off the tail or the neck and then rotating them around to compact into the smallest area possible.  That's really the main reason I want to figure it out, just to do the bigger sauropods and go crazy with them. Imagine being able to buy a herd of giraffatitans!  I'd probably squander what money I've made on Shapeways just for those test prints.

I've got a nasutoceratops model I'd been tinkering with since November, and I've been using it for experiments with this stuff.  I should probably contact the other sculptors here and see if any of them may have a creative idea of making positive/negative keys for the parts.

pascosaur

Quote from: Gorgonzola on January 17, 2014, 03:59:39 PM

Oh man, totally. I wouldn't mind seeing how big I can get a model by virtue of just, say, lopping off the tail or the neck and then rotating them around to compact into the smallest area possible.  That's really the main reason I want to figure it out, just to do the bigger sauropods and go crazy with them. Imagine being able to buy a herd of giraffatitans!  I'd probably squander what money I've made on Shapeways just for those test prints.

I've got a nasutoceratops model I'd been tinkering with since November, and I've been using it for experiments with this stuff.  I should probably contact the other sculptors here and see if any of them may have a creative idea of making positive/negative keys for the parts.

I'm pretty sure you're gonna find a way to offer us  "large" sauropods at 1/40.
And I would be more than happy to buy you a herd of apatosaurus! ;)

By the way your T rex is a must have "un chef d'œuvre"!
Did you notice there is some kind of war of the Rexes these days?? and I must confest you are one of the winners  8)
(Andrew Sides 1/40 model is a gorgeous model too)
congratulations

pascosaur

of course I meant MbCg Manuel bejarano :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Gorgonzola

Pasocsaur: Thank you very much!  I hope I get some photos of people's finished models once they start buying them. I think that's where I get the biggest thrill, seeing how people take my models and make them their own.

Speaking of sauropods and whatnot, look what I finally figured out today:

Looks like that giraffatitan is gonna come along much sooner!

pascosaur

just one word sir:
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
;D ;D ;D ;D

tyrantqueen

If you're going to do a 1/20 Amarga kit, please let me test print it ;D

Gorgonzola

TQ, message me, that can be worth doing as a test with the keys and all that before I go all willy nilly.  Just let me know what pose you'd want to test out and I can get it setup relatively quickly.

postsaurischian

Quote from: Gorgonzola on January 17, 2014, 05:39:13 PM
Speaking of sauropods and whatnot, look what I finally figured out today:

:D Revolutionary ;D!!!                                    ....... finally

Quote from: tyrantqueen on January 17, 2014, 07:34:20 PM

If you're going to do a 1/20 Amarga kit, please let me test print it ;D

:o Oh, oh, ..... I want this one in 1:20 ....... definitely .... for sure ....... irrevocably!!!!!

:)  Andrew, if this would be possible at some date, please let me know!

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Gorgonzola on January 17, 2014, 07:42:29 PM
TQ, message me, that can be worth doing as a test with the keys and all that before I go all willy nilly.  Just let me know what pose you'd want to test out and I can get it setup relatively quickly.
Done :)

krentz

I've been trying to cut and key my models as well so I can do bigger stuff, like my mamenchisaurus.  I'll probably have it figured out by the end of the week, I just need to call a friend whom I know has done this.
  Then Shapeways will reject it.
   Then I ll put in more holes.
   Then they'll reject it again.
   Then I'll spend $ 200 trying to get test prints.
   Then I'll see the detail sucks
   Then I'll have to boost details to cartoonish proportions
   Then I'll resubmit the model and start it all over.
Gotta love Shapeways.
D

mb-cg

Quote from: krentz on January 17, 2014, 10:18:24 PM
I've been trying to cut and key my models as well so I can do bigger stuff, like my mamenchisaurus.  I'll probably have it figured out by the end of the week, I just need to call a friend whom I know has done this.
Gotta love Shapeways.
D

It sounds familiar to me XD What most frustates me is when suddenly a model that have been printed several times suddenly is rejected. At least they added a new feature to check wall-thickness. Now I use a pair of programs to check everything carefully and I only had one issue (1.4mm diameter holes instead of 2mm, must be a huge difference) among the last 22 figures I have uploaded. Anyway, it's so nice when you get one of those "Help us resolve issues with models..." e-mails ¬¬'

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: krentz on January 17, 2014, 10:18:24 PM
Gotta love Shapeways.
D

Awww..man. Sucks there is so much time and cost involved I know..but you just gotta believe it WILL work  and will be worth it in the end !

Gorgonzola

Haha, oh my goodness the commiserating...I'm right there with you David and Manuel. I just had one of my Parasaurolophus rejected recently...after printing successfully for ~6-7 months.

When I get a chance I'll PM you David with the thread I found on how to make keys in Zbrush. Pretty simple, and it worked splendidly with the nasutoceratops model I tested it with, but I've noticed I've had some artifacting on my Amargasaurus model...though that model for some reason has some strange flaws in it that's caused problems in the past, so I dunno if it can be a fair data point. Manuel do you work in Zbrush at all? I can send the thread to you too as well if you're interested.

darth daniel

Quote from: krentz on January 17, 2014, 10:18:24 PMI've been trying to cut and key my models as well so I can do bigger stuff, like my mamenchisaurus.

Could you please post a rendering or screenshot of the Mamenchisaurus? It´s among my top "most wanted" dinosaurs in 1:40. It would save me the hassle of scultping one myself. Will yours have a tail club?

krentz

Great!  Did you follow that tutorial in the ZBrush forum or did you improvise? 

D

mb-cg

Quote from: Gorgonzola on January 18, 2014, 02:16:24 PM
Haha, oh my goodness the commiserating...I'm right there with you David and Manuel. I just had one of my Parasaurolophus rejected recently...after printing successfully for ~6-7 months.

When I get a chance I'll PM you David with the thread I found on how to make keys in Zbrush. Pretty simple, and it worked splendidly with the nasutoceratops model I tested it with, but I've noticed I've had some artifacting on my Amargasaurus model...though that model for some reason has some strange flaws in it that's caused problems in the past, so I dunno if it can be a fair data point. Manuel do you work in Zbrush at all? I can send the thread to you too as well if you're interested.

I use Mudbox for sculpting, I feel more comfortable with it than with ZBrush, thanks anyway :) I've been testing a way of doing it using 3dsMax booleans and I got good results, so maybe I do a 1/40 figure of my Turiasaurus:

Gorgonzola

David: I tried following the tutorial step by step and it worked fine, but it uses reproject too many times.  I've been experimenting with trying out a method that delays or sidesteps it altogether.

Manuel, do you run into problems with detail loss by doing the boolean operations in 3DsMax? That's currently the thing I'm trying to solve right now in Zbrush, since there's detail loss when I create the keys and hollow out the pieces.

I've semi-tinkered with Blender for this sort of stuff, but it's a bit opaque.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: