News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Shapeways

Started by tyrantqueen, December 01, 2012, 01:30:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mb-cg

Using booleans I just cut the model, so there's no detail loss and it's faster because it doesn't generate a new mesh with every operation.

edu

Hey, guys! Continuously reading, never posting...
I've just received my FUD Cryolopho by Gorgonzola in 1:40, and i a wondering what the heck happens with the figure: it has a greasy surface, and inside it there is a dense liquid (not filling it entirely) that pours through the hole in the belly...  :-\ I am new in this, shapeways, is it normal????

tyrantqueen

Quote from: edu on January 27, 2014, 03:37:11 PM
I've just received my FUD Cryolopho by Gorgonzola in 1:40, and i a wondering what the heck happens with the figure: it has a greasy surface, and inside it there is a dense liquid (not filling it entirely) that pours through the hole in the belly...  :-\ I am new in this, shapeways, is it normal????
I have received models that are slightly greasy before, although not in a such a large extent that you have described. You could try plugging the hole with some epoxy putty. Then give your model a nice soapy bath to clean away the grease. 

Still, it sounds very odd. I've never had anything that extreme in my FUD models. Perhaps you might consider contacting Shapeways.

edu

Thanks, Tyrantqueen. I've contacted Shapeways, and they now about this issue. It sometimes happens in some FUD models, when the wax used during the process (that  at the end is removed in the factory) doesn't go away correctly. Sometimes more, sometime less. I am dissapointed, being my first purchase... they've told me to look for a solution in the Shapeways boards, when it's their problem! I've tried some things, heating the model with a hairdryer (and the wax melts and moves inside the model and in it surface, the i tried to remove it with water), cleaning it with acetone.... Some areas of the surface have different textures, and the details in the head are quite obscured.  >:(

Gorgonzola

Quote from: edu on January 27, 2014, 03:37:11 PM

I had this happen with one or two of my models in the past - sometimes it doesn't get cleaned all the way when it comes to FUD or FD materials.  I actually had to take a fingernail size of wax off the thigh of one of my models once, which only took a fingernail to remove (thankfully!)

Best way to clean it is take an old toothbrush if you have some, squirt some soap on it, work it up into a lather on the toothbrush, then gently scrub the surface.  That will help cut the grease feeling off of it, though it may take a couple of passes.  You don't have to scrub hard, just gentle, slow circles will help work and free it.  I don't recommend acetone, since it will eat away the plastic model itself and smooth it out.

As for the wax coming out of the escape hole, it's a little trickier.  The hairdryer trick is pretty good, if you have a small bottle brush (or some pipe cleaners from a craft store) you could bend them up into the hole and give it a swab, though it won't be perfect.  Flushing it out with water kind of helps, but once you let it air dry I do recommend plugging it up with epoxy putty, especially if you intend to finish out the model by painting and basing it.

Which Cryolophosaurus model was it, by the way?  I have a feeling they'll probably be contacting me about it soon if this is a big enough issue.

edu

Too late for the acetone... .
Thanks for the advise, Gorgonzola. I really love you models, and i intended to have this one amazingly painted and based. It's the standing Cryo, the one with the neutral/gazing pose.

Edited for mild profanity, please refrain from using swear words, many thanks. Admin.

tyrantqueen

Yes, acetone is very dangerous to plastics...try washing up liquid and water.

clutch

Sorry if this has been asked before, but is it worth the extra cost to have the frosted detail option?

tyrantqueen

Quote from: clutch on January 31, 2014, 09:56:14 PM
Sorry if this has been asked before, but is it worth the extra cost to have the frosted detail option?
Yes, in my opinion it is. Some may disagree, however. It's really one of those things you have to make your own mind up about.

Here's a comparison between WSF and FD materials.

Yutyrannus

Can you paint WSF easier if you spray it with a primer first?

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Yutyrannus on February 02, 2014, 05:23:36 PM
Yes.

Yutyrannus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on February 02, 2014, 05:25:32 PM
Quote from: Yutyrannus on February 02, 2014, 05:23:36 PM
Yes.
Thanks! That is really helpful to know!

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

pascosaur

gorgeous Concavenator 1/40 by Mb-Cg ^-^
fer

different times, different countries but same scale  ;)

Yangshuanosaurus 1/40 Mb-Cg

heads or

tails :))
I'm very fond of this chinese dinosaur
too bad it can't be called Metriacanthosaurus as GS Paul suggested
it's such a wonderful name !!!!!!!!

same country (Europe) but different times and SCALES  :o
Europasaurus by GN Models 1/35 and Baryonyx 1/40 by Mb-Cg

no use to post pictures of the grazing Coronasaurus by Mb-cg .... it's already done! :P

Concavenator

That Spinosaurus is increible!!

pascosaur

Quote from: Concavenator on February 03, 2014, 04:20:22 PM
That Spinosaurus is increible!!

I agree with you
first it's huge!!!!!!!!!!!
and then the amount of details is awesome
the mouth, the long snout,the teeth
everything is just... perfect
Manuel B. is a great artist :)

darth daniel

Congrats for your great new models! :) But...

Quote from: pascosaur on February 03, 2014, 04:18:49 PMsame country (Europe)

Since when is Europe a country? ;) Baryonyx was found in England and Europasaurus in Germany.

pascosaur

I think in Last jurassic and early cretaceous times Europe was a kind of archipelago or something
no? ;)

pascosaur

some of the best models I received few days ago :)
sorry I took this pictures with my prehistoric phone

her scaly majesty Sue (1/40) by Manuel Mb-Cg  8)

I won't be bothered if she was a little bit longer but....

in the shadowplay!!!!!!!!!
such a wonder

another beauty is the Allosaurus 1/40 by Galileo (Shapeways)
it's not Al that's for sure.... it's huge

everybody saw the  impressive1/40 Quetzal. nortropi  by AaronDoyle  or the 1/40  Amarga with the neck down
thanks a lot Gorgonzola it's gorgeous
So no need to show them again

the ones I'm gonna present now may have been already seen elsewhere
but I can't resist to the pleasure of showing the different sizes of some animals at the same scale: 1/40

chirostenotes and a feathered Gorgosaurus (Aaron Doyle)
herrerasaurus by Mb-Cg
I have to confess I'm very fond of the feathers arrangement like a lion mane
especially since I got the model in my hands!!! ::) ::)

at least

two ceratopsians by Manuel Bejarano

Bravo aux artistes

I almost finished to paint the Yangshuanosaurus with the mouth closed...
may be it's time for me to start a thread ?! :-\

Concavenator

I think I'll go for that Spino.I'm crazy for it!!!

tyrantqueen

Hah, it's a photo of a photo :))

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: