News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

David Silva's Beasts of the Cenozoic

Started by Faelrin, October 11, 2022, 05:37:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cenozoic Fauna

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres That's really awesome! Thanks for sharing this fascinating data on new recently described terror bird trackways, also that is very intriguing! Really interesting how they only walked on two toes with a third one less prominently placed or with light contact on the ground. Also regarding the feet of terror birds they also had sickle claws, somewhat Similar to dromaeosaurids of the Mesozoic. Hope that detail is also reflected on a terror bird figure.

First image, foot claws from randompaleonerd.

second image, skeletal from randompaleonerd.

fourth image art from Julio Lacerda.

fifth image, art from Ville Sinkkonen.

DerbesSchuhwerk

The closest living relative to the Terror Birds, the Serima, walks in a similar fashion, with it's claw off the ground.

Cenozoic Fauna

Will be awesome to see a terror bird in the beasts of the Cenozoic line, wonder how many will be in the initial Kickstarter, more than one perhaps? Hopefully a few. And it's going to be awesome to see the stickle claws on the figure, a lot of cool poses and display ideas for a terror bird figure.

Also hope the smilodon paint scheme for the Cenozoic line looks more similar to the Kickstarter exclusive smilodon set for the cyberzoic

The base color scheme for the smilodon looks epic as well.

Also wonder if there will be a way to fix the seems on the neck? Also pretty cool it will have the option for different ear pieces with different positioning for forward or back.

Also it was confirmed that there are three Cenozoic sculpts that are completed, I'm guessing it's the woolly mammoth. Also I wonder how the mammoth will be articulated? For the trunk I suspect it could get multiple different static trunk types for posing.

Also wonder if the larger beasts will be in a different scale than say the smilodon in the Cenozoic line which will be 1/18 scale, which I suspect the larger species will be in a different scale.

Also going to be cool to see a giant sloth as well, that would be crazy cool! Also I'm hoping for the other larger beasts such as an arsinoitherium, Eobasileus, and a wooly rhino would be cool as well.

Also wonder how many figures in total will be planned in the Kickstarter? Maybe 20, 25, or perhaps 30? Probably around the 20s range.

Also hope the carnivores and herbivores will have stands for galloping, running, and pouncing poses for carnivores. For big cats, would be cool to see xenosmilus as well, and of course the South American giant short faced bear Arctotherium and have it be able to stand upright with its articulation, that would be really awesome, also  Dire wolves, and the new genetic research should be reflected in figures appearance as well. Also awesome Andrewsarchus will be in the line, hoping it will have multiple different jaw pieces for having the mouth articulate more so than the current one based on how it's sculpted. Also hoping for daeodon, and paraentelodon
This is a paraentelodons skull

Also hyaenodon gigas, megistotherium, and amphicyon igens. Also a lot of other very unique Cenozoic herbivores as well. I have mentioned terror birds and the large flying birds as well, hoping for a few flying species, and other  terrestrial species such as  Gastornis, dromornis, moa, and the elephant bird, that would be really cool to.
Glyptodon is very likely I'd suspect, hope they also make meiolania.

And terrestrial crocodiles seem as likely as the terror birds given what's been said, which is its very possible which is really cool news. Hoping a few of those land crocs will be in this line as well And hoping to see purrusaurus to, and megalania, and titanoboa. Also it's going to be very  interesting to see how the articulation is going to be for this line for Species like the woolly mammoth and other species as well.

Giganotosaurus

Perhaps 1/35th scale for the largest mammoths/beasts? In any case, I hope to be able to recreate my beloved first three Ice Age movies eventually. :)) 
Mosasurus on Jurassic Mainframe and JPToys
Angurius on TohoKingdom

I love all the Jurassic movies, plus Disney's Dinosaur

Halichoeres

Quote from: Cenozoic Fauna on October 18, 2023, 03:04:37 AMAlso wonder how many figures in total will be planned in the Kickstarter? Maybe 20, 25, or perhaps 30? Probably around the 20s range.

That would be unprecedented, right? Honestly, considering that neither of the theropod campaigns reached those kinds of numbers, and that non-dinosaurs generally have fewer fans, I'd expect 10 or fewer.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Cenozoic Fauna

Quote from: Halichoeres on October 19, 2023, 01:56:13 AM
Quote from: Cenozoic Fauna on October 18, 2023, 03:04:37 AMAlso wonder how many figures in total will be planned in the Kickstarter? Maybe 20, 25, or perhaps 30? Probably around the 20s range.

That would be unprecedented, right? Honestly, considering that neither of the theropod campaigns reached those kinds of numbers, and that non-dinosaurs generally have fewer fans, I'd expect 10 or fewer.

That is very true, though the ceratopsian line did have like 25 figures which are awesome, I have the triceratops, great figure to, hoping for a cyberzoic color scheme one released in cyberzoic 2. But also good point about that, though the reason I had guessed this was that most of the figures that are in the Cenozoic line are going to be in 1/18 scale.
Though perhaps a few more species could be in the Kickstarter maybe 13? Though 10 is the most realistic, yeah 20 is certainly excessive in the amount of figures offered.

Cenozoic Fauna

Quote from: Giganotosaurus on October 18, 2023, 04:41:29 AMPerhaps 1/35th scale for the largest mammoths/beasts?
Indeed, that is likely the case, I suspect the giant ground sloth, woolly rhino, or some other giant beast will be in 1/35 scale a well,
And perhaps purussaurus if it makes it in this Cenozoic Kickstarter. Also I'm quite certainly you will be able to recreate the ice age trio, the accurate versions that is lol.

And Since the woolly mammoth is pretty much confirmed if I'm Not mistaken, and a giant sloth is very likely as well for the line to.

Concavenator

Not sure why any of you would assume they will be releasing many 1:35 figures, they've been pretty clear their focus is in the 1:18 scale and that everything else is an exception. The only figure they officially have at 1:35 is the Tyrannosaurus (which is probably the most famous prehistoric animal of all time). That said, the smaller Triceratops is named as "juvenile", but is around ~ 1:30 IIRC.

Cenozoic Fauna

Wait Who? I only speculated a few larger species could perhaps possibly be in that sort of range, I completely understand how most would be in the 1/18 range though. Also true on that.

Flaffy

Deinonychus unlocked! With 2 weeks remaining, I'm hoping we get to see the full Carnotaurus reveal before the campaign ends.

Cenozoic Fauna

Quote from: Flaffy on October 19, 2023, 03:32:39 PMDeinonychus unlocked! With 2 weeks remaining, I'm hoping we get to see the full Carnotaurus reveal before the campaign ends.
Awesome news! The deinonychus is an epic figure and  sculpt is phenomenal, and the armor looks really
Cool to. Also agreed, and regarding the andrewsarchus news regarding having to many figure for this initial cyberzoic Kickstarter, at least it will be in the upcoming beast of the the Cenozoic line, wonder what it's paint scheme will be based on? And the beast of the Mesozoic carno? Hopefully for carno a red tegu would be exceptionally Awesome.

Cenozoic Fauna

Some Awesome and intriguing news regarding the beast of the Cenozoic line, based on a really cool interview with David Silva,
At 5:10 in the video David says there might not be a kickstarter for the Cenozoic line interestingly enough, kickstarters will usually pertain to the larger figure lines like the cyberzoic.

Also at 58:44 in the video, Terrestrial Crocodiles CONFIRMED for the Cenozoic line!!!! That's Super awesome news!

Wonder which kinds of terrestrial crocodiles will make it into the first line up of Cenozoic figures? Id say barinasuchus has the highest chance of being the first terrestrial crocodile to be introduced into the line since it was the most request one, and quinkana, and then boverisuchus subsequently after, or these other two terrestrial crocodiles might actually make it as well into the first line up of Cenozoic figures.
Will for sure get a few other new species in the future when there is another part 2 of the Cenozoic line.

I'm also hoping David will eventually add the new yet unpublished Pleistocene terrestrial ziphodont crocodile from Queensland Australia at some point in the line, reading from the preview paper, this new species has a well preserved skull, and is a large species, and has a very vaulted tall deep snout, said to be more like baurusuchus than quinkana, and is closely related to quinkana as well, and lived at the same time as quinkana, and in the preview paper it mentions its the youngest dated ziphodont terrestrial crocodile yet known, and there might be more fossils post crania attributed to this new species as well. Hopefully this new land croc paper is published in time for it to have it made into a figure for the upcoming Cenozoic line at some point. Also hoping to see figures of other terrestrial crocodiles such as Dentaneosuchus a giant sebecid from Europe Eocene, a relatively recently discovered new species, and or could appear in future Cenozoic waves in the line.

but honestly a figure of bretesuchus would also be incredibly cool considering this land crocodile had very large saber fang like dentition, no joke! and had a very deep snout, and was a fairly large sebecid at 4m

here is its skull with some of its saber tooth like dentition largely intact

its the skull at the center top of the picture

Also a  reconstruction of bretesuchus, hope this one will make it at some point in the future as well. Also sebecus is another cool species since it has the most complete fossils found in a sebecid land croc yet known.

The creative beast team could also make another species of land croc in the same genus like what was done with the allosaurus figures in the cyberzoic, like quinkana timara, distinct from quinkana fortirostrum and looking more like boverisuchus interestingly and boverisuchus vorax instead of the initial boverisuchus magnifrons species.

And also would be cool to see figures made for the terrestrial dwarf forms in different size scales, one that scales with the current figures and another larger more detailed figure, such as mekosuchus, and trilophosuchus the semi arboreal land crocs, and same for the smaller figures like the Holocene species such as the dodo bird, Sylviornis, mauritius giant tortoises, and thylacine. Also purusaurus, and meiolania at some point would be cool to. Also the terror bird are incredibly likely to be included to, and other flightless giant birds to at some point would also be cool.

Also Megalania to, would be cool to have it be able to stand on two legs tripod and be able to have it battle and grapple with a giant short faced bear like something out of a classic king kong skull island movie, also would be awesome to see a short faced bear figure, seems very likely, it was requested alot like the terror birds, and also have it be able to stand on two legs as well to make these sort of cool hypothetical battle dioramas, or with a smilodon that was present with the giant bear.

But anyhow, there are a lot of cool other species that could be in this Cenozoic line like giant south American short faced bear, dire wolfs, heynadon, megistotherium, amphycion, thylacoleo, glyptodons, enteledontids, Sparassodonts, and of course the ground sloths and mammoths, and early whales, and so forth.

Also another bit of awesome News and information regarding creative beast studios,
 in another cyberzoic interview from Spector Creative, David mentions making at some point making another line of figures in the paleozoic! Well just  mentions, dimetrodon, and sea scorpions, at some point which would mean a paleozoic line would happen at some point, and even talk of pterosaurs, and even talked about how challenging its going to be figuring out how to articulate the wings, and was discussing ways on how it might be done, which was really cool, and really fascinating to hear about. Also even mentioned a line of modern animal action figures at some point in a few years or so which sounds also really awesome! would hope to see an African bush elephant, Bengal tiger, Cuban crocodile, or polar bear in that line, and also mentioned, elephants, wolfs, and giraffes, briefly. Later in the video even marine species like whales and sharks were discussed, now that would be sounds really cool, and also mentions the 1/18 line of figures is the main line scale wise, from what I remember the Mesozoic, cyberzoic, and Cenozoic lines are in the same world, lore wise, past present and future, which is awesome. And Also David talked about how cool it would be to make articulated skeletons of extinct species was mentioned briefly in the interview. that would also be really dope, like having an articulated trex figure posed next to an articulated skeleton of a trex figure next to it. Creative beast studios has a lot of awesome future line ups, and is an incredible awesome and epic company, also off topic but it would be cool to see Permian, and Triassic species as well which I suspect will eventually get a line of figures for those eras based on what was revealed about the lines and brand at some point I would imagine, same with prehistoric marine and semi aquatic species to.

Also its awesome the cyberzoic has been super successful and is likely to also fund the rest of its line up to!

Concavenator

Any news on when BotC would come out?

Really hoping that Megatherium makes it into the assortment.

Cenozoic Fauna

Quote from: Concavenator on November 07, 2023, 04:45:59 PMAny news on when BotC would come out?

Really hoping that Megatherium makes it into the assortment.
From what I've heard, it will be the next line to be worked on, and there should be an announcement about the beast of the Cenozoic line sometime in 2024.

So 2024 Seems like a likely time for it be in production, though the figures probably won't be available till 2025 I'd suspect, though not 100% sure on that though.

But an interview with David Silva suggests it's likely the BotC line may not have a Kickstarter unlike the cyberzoic, raptor, tyrannosaurid, and ceratopsian series of figures.

Also indeed true, same here, it's seems like a very likely candidate to make it into the Cenozoic line since it's an iconic Cenozoic species. Also would be incredibly awesome to have an articulated accurate figure of one to.

Concavenator

BotC 1:12 Smilodon concept art.

IIRC, there was going to be a 1:18 version as well? If so, will it have the same color scheme?

Faelrin

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator Yeah the 1/18 sculpt was shown at Legions Con which I went to in November. I thought the 1/18 version would be the BotC version but it looks like David might be doing both? I hope the Cyberzoic coloration gets the 1/18 treatment as well. I love that orange.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0