News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Papo: New for 2023

Started by Renecito, November 09, 2022, 01:29:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flaffy

Quote from: Medzo on January 21, 2023, 12:32:52 PMAs someone who had started collecting with Papo 2 years ago and ended up with mainly PNSO figures, my opinion stands the same:

Papo is so close to being satisfactory for an adult collector...but it just can't get there. Always some issues with details, paint jobs and gloss, proportions that puts them on a maximum 7/10-ish state on the scale for me, while PNSO is like a constantly improving 8-9/10 at the moment.

At this price range I just rather save up for one PNSO figure from time to time.

I fully agree. The only Papo figure I ever bought was their Ceratosaurus. Which despite the oversized arms is a fine figure of the species imo.
But the same cannot be said about a lot of their recent releases. And even when I wanted to pick up their older ones, the paint quality has deteriorated so much that it ruins the figure.

SidB

I used to acquire all the Papos as they were released, but that came to an end a long time ago. I agree with your comments, avatar_Medzo @Medzo . I still use a number of the Papos in my dioramas if the accuracy issues aren't too bad, as the level of detail and paint work is quite appropriate for displaying with my predominant PNSO displays. So, for example, I use their Apatosaurus, Pentaceratops, Pteranodon (teeth removed), Gorgosaurus, Dilophosaurus and Chilesaurus as they fit in rather nicely. They would be displaced as more accurate PNSO or other figures become available (if they do). Papo has an odd approach to designing their figures - neither fish nor foul: generally high quality production values (though that's been slipping), but a flagrant disregard for accuracy. Look at their Pentaceratops - beautiful and dynamic sculpt, but they get the front feet slightly wrong. Made an error with the toe count on the fine, though somewhat outdated Dimetrodon too. Annoying and mystifying why they make such an effort to excel quality-wise, yet manifest a Schleich-like disinterest in particular details. Odd.

SenSx

Quote from: Medzo on January 21, 2023, 12:32:52 PMAs someone who had started collecting with Papo 2 years ago and ended up with mainly PNSO figures, my opinion stands the same:

Papo is so close to being satisfactory for an adult collector...but it just can't get there. Always some issues with details, paint jobs and gloss, proportions that puts them on a maximum 7/10-ish state on the scale for me, while PNSO is like a constantly improving 8-9/10 at the moment.

At this price range I just rather save up for one PNSO figure from time to time.

Exact same story here.
I started collecting with Papo figures as a JP fan at first.
But now I replace the JP ones with Nanmu, Rebor or Itoy, and purchased more accurate ones with other brands.

I sold most of my Papos, except the Pteradnodon, the Compsognathus and the Rex, Spino and Triceratops babies.

I still think it's a solid company for JP casual fans.
But I'd rather pay more for better quality and accuracy even for JP figures.

Cretaceous Crab

Ditto. After I got my first PNSO figure, I was sold on their detail, quality and accuracy. I still have a handful of Papo figures, but after their limited edition Spinosaurus, I have not been very impressed with their most recent releases.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: SenSx on January 21, 2023, 01:13:45 PMI still think it's a solid company for JP casual fans.
The last actual JP replica they made was the Compsognathus back in 2018. Papo has more of its own identity now
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

SidB

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on January 21, 2023, 02:45:29 PM
Quote from: SenSx on January 21, 2023, 01:13:45 PMI still think it's a solid company for JP casual fans.
The last actual JP replica they made was the Compsognathus back in 2018. Papo has more of its own identity now
I wonder if that's a big part of the problem with Papo here on the Forum, generally speaking - their current identity doesn't correspond to what many or most of the members like. To me, anyways, that identity seems more than a bit indeterminate/ vague. Still, they are quite capable of pulling off the occasional really good piece. I certainly don't feel inclined to give up on them, by any means.

Blade-of-the-Moon

They were certainly the BEST option for JP collectors for years if you wanted a high quality replica from the films. They started going off at least to me with that V-Rex headed running Rex. But they have always leaned heavily into pop culture anyway though copying from Sideshow, David Silva, ect.. worked for them lol  I still think they are in a good middle to high range for TOYS. PNSO despite their claims are more models/statues to me. 

SidB

I really can't even visualize playing , especially roughly, with my PNSO's.They are all part of my static displays, and there they'll stay. The Papos have more flexibility in that way.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 21, 2023, 04:55:30 PMThey were certainly the BEST option for JP collectors for years if you wanted a high quality replica from the films. They started going off at least to me with that V-Rex headed running Rex. But they have always leaned heavily into pop culture anyway though copying from Sideshow, David Silva, ect.. worked for them lol  I still think they are in a good middle to high range for TOYS. PNSO despite their claims are more models/statues to me. 
When did they copy david
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on January 21, 2023, 09:12:41 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 21, 2023, 04:55:30 PMThey were certainly the BEST option for JP collectors for years if you wanted a high quality replica from the films. They started going off at least to me with that V-Rex headed running Rex. But they have always leaned heavily into pop culture anyway though copying from Sideshow, David Silva, ect.. worked for them lol  I still think they are in a good middle to high range for TOYS. PNSO despite their claims are more models/statues to me. 
When did they copy david

Pretty sure the Dimetrodon was based on his model kit that had some popularity.

rm0918

I think it's much closer to Keith Strasser's.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: rm0918 on January 24, 2023, 09:23:45 AMI think it's much closer to Keith Strasser's.

Possible some influence there too. Davids model also has an open mouth that looks very much like it I just couldn't find a good pic.  As I recall his model came out roughly around when this piece was made.

Mattyonyx

A couple of questions:

1) Am I the only one more interested in Mr. Seo's dragons ATM? I think they look amazing!
2) Since they have more points of articulation (the flying one especially) do you think it's something that could work with the dinosaurs?

DragonRider02

Quote from: Mattyonyx on January 24, 2023, 04:52:22 PM1) Am I the only one more interested in Mr. Seo's dragons ATM? I think they look amazing!

I am really, Really excited for that Wyvern-type dragon (I just hope the final paintjob wont be downgraded much). I love its design. It looks like as if Papo took Schleich Eldrador Flyer Dragon's design and combined it with McFarlane Dragons level of detail and realism.

SpartanSquat

Quote from: Mattyonyx on January 24, 2023, 04:52:22 PMA couple of questions:

1) Am I the only one more interested in Mr. Seo's dragons ATM? I think they look amazing!
2) Since they have more points of articulation (the flying one especially) do you think it's something that could work with the dinosaurs?

You are not the only one! When I saw them I notice Mr Seo hand and I really like the look. The wyvern reminds me a mix of harry potter wyvern, rathalos and hellhawks from godzilla vs kong. The marine dragon looks like a thing from mcfarlane and the aquatic spino.
I hope Mr Seo will comeback to dinosaurs in the future.

Question, papo dragons have more points of articulations than the mouth?

Mattyonyx

Quote from: RolandEden on January 24, 2023, 06:02:11 PMQuestion, papo dragons have more points of articulations than the mouth?

Yes! Neck, wings, and tail for the Air Dragon. Arms for the Sea Dragon. The Basilisk and the Giant Squid have articulated parts too.

SenSx

Oh I'm really looking forward to add a Dragon in my collection, do you have a link for those Mr Seo's figures please ?

Thanks

Sim

Can images of the Papo Kronosaurus and Mosasaurus be added to the first post of this thread please, avatar_Renecito @Renecito?  They are 2023 figures.

Renecito

avatar_Sim @Sim I have updated the original post. Thanks.
Favorite Brands:              Favorite Dinosaurs:
1 - PNSO                        1 - Carnotaurus
2 - Vitae                         2 - Spinosaurus/Suchomimus
3 - Eofauna                     3 - Therizinosaurus
4 - Carnegie Line             4 - Deinocheirus
5 - CollectA                     5 - Gigantoraptor

SidB

Quote from: bmathison1972 on November 09, 2022, 03:03:01 PMI might consider the woolly rhino, if not the same species as the most recent WS Safari one
One interesting attribute of the Wooly Rhino by Papo is the markedly flattening of the horn laterally, hypothesized as a result of the animal using it as a snow plow as it probed for forage under the snow.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: