News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Wild Past - Wave 2 - Kickstarter

Started by DinoToyCollector, March 22, 2023, 01:24:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Concavenator

Hey avatar_Duna @Duna , this Plateosaurus would be a nice upgrade to the CollectA...  ;)

spinosaurus1

hello everyone. glad everyone likes the species selection so far :)

QuoteIt should be noted that Tenontosaurus only had 2 clawed digits on its manus according to current evidence. A feature that Emily Stepp's artwork correctly showcases. I can't tell for sure about the WIP Wild Past sculpt, but to me, it seems like it has a clawed Digit III?
this is correct. the sculpt indeed only has claws on the first two digits and none on the third. it does have a flexed wrinkle around it that gives a superficial impression. But it's just the weird result of the second and third fingers being the weight-bearing digits.

QuoteIs it me or do the dorsal scales on the Maiasaura look a bit strange with those pointy bits? Are they meant to look like that? I highlighted some of them in red, to show what I mean
yes, as others have pointed out, the back tabs are based directly off of Brachylophosaurus, which Maia as of current is very close to phylogenetically.

QuoteOn another hand, how could the Maiasaura make it into the Kickstarter if the model isn't finished yet? I don't simply mean that we wouldn't be able to see the finished model by the time the Kickstarter launches (or would we?), but also how could it actually be delivered once the Kickstarter is over (again, considering it's not finished)?
these are just preview images of the current sculpts being made. for Maia in particular, the wrinkles are currently done and I am now adding scales to the model. it is safe to say that maia will be completed before the time of the Kickstarter :)

ceratopsian

I'm keen on all these stretch goals with the exception of the trio of Deinonychus - just not so much my collecting area; and the Tenontosaurus - purely because I have Stefan's resin one already.

Concavenator

avatar_spinosaurus1 @spinosaurus1 Great to know the Maiasaura will make it in time by the launch of the Kickstarter! Looking forward to that.  :)

Did you do any of the others, too?

spinosaurus1

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator yes, I did the maiasaura, majungasaurus, rapetosaurus, the updated tenontosaurus, deinonychus, and the base sculpt of the plateosaurus.

Crackington

Great work avatar_spinosaurus1 @spinosaurus1!

They all look eminently collectable to me, but I'd pick Scelidosaurus, Plateosaurus and the Teratosaurus for starters.

Hope the Kickstarter succeeds!

Concavenator

avatar_DinoToyCollector @DinoToyCollector or avatar_spinosaurus1 @spinosaurus1 Another question, aside from the sculpts being finished by the launch of the Kickstarter, will we also be seeing the finished figures by then (painted up, with the usual Wild Past box, etc)?

Halichoeres

For me the most exciting ones are:

1. Teratosaurus - Non-dinosaurs are so few and far between, and its being found alongside Plateosaurus makes up for its being poorly known
2. Tenontosaurus - A distinctive ornithopod that isn't a hadrosaur, yes please!
3. Scelidosaurus - Maybe just because its osteoderms are so complicated, but it's been completely ignored since the thorough redescription three years ago. This helps right that wrong!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

crazy8wizard

Quote from: Halichoeres on December 11, 2023, 07:33:07 PMFor me the most exciting ones are:

1. Teratosaurus - Non-dinosaurs are so few and far between, and its being found alongside Plateosaurus makes up for its being poorly known
3. Scelidosaurus - Maybe just because its osteoderms are so complicated, but it's been completely ignored since the thorough redescription three years ago. This helps right that wrong!
If both the Segnosaurus and Teratosaurus get made, that's two figures off your wish list that you won't have to rely on cheap looking Disga figures for.

SidB

You're certainly right there,  avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator , with your reference to me and the Plateosaurus. My very first dinosaur, out of a cereal box ages and ages ago, it seems. I've been relatively content with the CollectA one in my diorama, but this new one will be most welcome. it's been a LONG wait.

Halichoeres

Quote from: crazy8wizard on December 11, 2023, 07:53:19 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on December 11, 2023, 07:33:07 PMFor me the most exciting ones are:

If both the Segnosaurus and Teratosaurus get made, that's two figures off your wish list that you won't have to rely on cheap looking Disga figures for.

Ha ha, yes, what a relief!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Concavenator

avatar_DinoToyCollector @DinoToyCollector Was the Teratosaurus the work of Christopher Chávez? Looks like his style.

Concavenator

avatar_DinoToyCollector @DinoToyCollector Any news about the Kickstarter campaign? Like when will we be able to vote among the stretch goals? Or when will the campaign launch? Looking forward to seeing the finished figures, too!  :)

On another note, when do you expect the Majungasaurus to be released?

Halichoeres

Right now at https://www.wildpast-studio.de/ there's a notification to sign up for an email alert when the Kickstarter goes live. If you have previously visited the site, you might have to clear your cache to see it, though (or open in a private/incognito window).

Concavenator

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres Yeah, but that notification has been appearing since November or thereabouts, so it's not new.

Is it safe to assume the campaign will launch sometime this year?

ceratopsian

I don't think we have any basis for assumptions, avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator.  We just have to be patient until it actually goes up when DinoToyCollector is ready to go live.

Quote from: Concavenator on January 31, 2024, 11:35:23 AMavatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres Yeah, but that notification has been appearing since November or thereabouts, so it's not new.

thomasw100

Quote from: ceratopsian on January 31, 2024, 12:18:02 PMI don't think we have any basis for assumptions, avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator.  We just have to be patient until it actually goes up when DinoToyCollector is ready to go live.

I have to say that Wild Past has generated high expectations with all their activity in the fall. Now for months nothing but silence, no comments and not even a tentative starting date for the kickstarter campaign. They have also not fully delivered on past promises. They should therefore not be surprised if people lose interest and start to look elsewhere. I just found an exquisite new model of Chasmosaurus by VFB paleoart which is available through Dinosauria Creatures and I will probably go for that one considering that the release of the Wild Past Chasmosaurus can be anytime between later this year and never.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Concavenator on January 31, 2024, 11:35:23 AMavatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres Yeah, but that notification has been appearing since November or thereabouts, so it's not new.

Oh, I see. I hadn't noticed it before. Well, then I have no new information.

We could start a betting pool. I'm going to say a May Kickstarter, with delivery of the first figures in mid-2025. Additional waves stretching into 2026.

Concavenator

thomasw100

As the saying goes: Those that can be trusted with little, can be trusted with much. Unfortunately all the nice sculpts that have been made already for the kickstarter campaign will now go to waste. They should sell them to Haolonggood and they will have these figures out in less than 6 months. But seriously, this could actually be an option, provided that Wild Past would be able to let go on pursuing that project themselves.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: