News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Wild Past - Wave 2 - Kickstarter

Started by DinoToyCollector, March 22, 2023, 01:24:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoToyCollector

Hello Everyone!

As mentioned in the Wild Past 2023 Thread, we are going to start a Kickstarter campaign for the next bunch of figures.
It may sound a bit weird releasing new figures as the missing ones (Scutosaurus & Majungasaurus) are not yet available, but production needs time and money and we really want to go on with our little series.

We have already done some work in the background. So far we have 7 more sets containing 9 figures. Some of them have been printed already and they are in a good shape and range from very small to very big. One important step I am on is calculating the budget for each set.

What we want to do:

- Depending on what you want to get in the end, you can fund your favorite set or the whole line (7 at this moment).
- after funding the set it will go into production - If all of them get funded - all of them go into production :)
- the prices will be reasonable and not far from what you already know
- The campaign will start once Majungasaurus and Scutosaurus are on sale!

What We need from you: Ideas! Ideas for what else we could offer besides these sets.
- What would you like to see if we get funded and need a stretch goal? More sets? One of our 3D Print designs?
- We thought of offering Emaille Pins, High Res Artwork prints or a set of stickers. What could we give you If you want to support us with small money

What happens if nothing gets funded?
- Well then we will still go on but at the slow pace we are already on.

Below is an artwork showing 2 of the coming figures, and yes, we have a Plateosaurus.
The image is reminescent of a work from John Sibbick.

Looking forward to hear your thoughts.

ceratopsian

First of all, I hope the Kickstarter is a success!

Stretch goal: I'm personally not interested in stickers.  They get filed and I don't do anything with them!  And I don't like the shiny texture.

I'd be interested in a set of postcards of the artworks.  Or maybe a high-res print (though getting these undamaged through the post is not always easy, and I hate it if they are folded for posting).  I'd be also interested in a 3D print design (but that depends on being able to get it printed.) Or simply another set. All these seem good options to me.  How about a wall calendar incorporating Wild Past artwork? I'm less interested in an emaille pin!

Dusty Wren

I'm not sure I understand the funding model. You say backers can fund either a favorite set or the whole line, and "after funding the set it will go into production - If all of them get funded - all of them go into production." Are you planning a single Kickstarter campaign (with the different figures as different tiers, like the Beasts of the Mesozoic campaigns), or will the different figures have individual Kickstarter campaigns?

If it's a single campaign, I don't understand how the campaign as a whole can be funded without all the promised figures going to production. Unless you start with one or two figures, and unlock the rest as stretch goals?

Check out my customs thread!

Concavenator

It's just as avatar_Dusty Wren @Dusty Wren says, that's how Kickstarter works.

When it comes to stretch goals, I think what most of us would find more interesting is more sets. There's no shortage of cool species that have never been done before or done well. I think this thread is an excellent source of inspiration (not just because those species were chosen by us fellow members, but also because purportedly those taxa have decent remains). Maybe even let us vote what species we would like to see?

I think what would also be handy when it comes to the campaign would be to offer tiers that are more affordable than the set/s. David Silva did this with his tyrannosaur campaign (not sure if also with the previous ones as I didn't closely follow them back then). As you can see, there was a 1 USD tier ("Thank You" tier), and a 14 USD "Art Postcard" tier. I think doing that or something similar would be a good idea. I'd also say if you think it's a little risky to try to fund all the sets at once (because if you fail to fund even just 1, the whole campaign would fail), perhaps it would be more sensible to try to fund just part of them and have the rest as stretch goals. That way, the success of the campaign would be more feasible. I think what would also be important now is to share and advertise the campaign as much as possible (I've already shared it on Paleofiguras Group).

Just my 2 cents. Hope this helps and I hope the campaign will be succesful!

Faelrin

I agree with others that I think something along the lines of say David's BotM kickstarters, or perhaps the recent Forgotten Bloodlines kickstarter would be an ideal way to reference from on how to set one up.

Such as:
-Having pledge tiers from cheap to more expensive. So from cheap things like postcards, high res wallpapers, stickers, to a single set (of any kind), to an all in one combined pledge tier. Would also be good to have the initial pledges available as add-ons for folks that want to mix and match what they get. Edit: I totally forgot about this but Kickstarter has made it easier then ever to add add-ons to ones pledge. Previously one had to add up the cost of the add-on to their initial pledge. Now there is a way to make it as a selection to pick and choose from. The FAQ guide on my BotM Tyrannosaur Series shows what this looks like on the backers side of things.
-Keep the goal simple and straight to the point. So perhaps a single set, or a few to pick from. The smaller the goal, the easier to reach before the campaign finishes. Like how the original BotM Raptor Series had the three raptors (Atrociraptor, Tsaagan, and Velociraptor) to pledge for, with the others as stretch goals, or like the Tyrannosaur Series that only focused on funding the four T. rex figures, with the rest as stretch goals.
-Implement the stretch goals as separate pledge tiers once unlocked, and also have them available as an add-on for those with an existing pledge, again once unlocked. This can be managed in a survey post campaign (such as through Kickstarter itself, or even the Backerkit platform). The survey will also be needed to gather your backers addresses for any rewards that would be shipped out.
-Having a detailed FAQ for newcomers to Kickstarter is also important. I made an FAQ guide on my BotM Tyrannosaur Series thread that may serve as a helpful reference point.
-Edit 2: If the initial campaign goal is successfully funded in time, but not all the stretch goals before the campaign ends, then there is an additional way to gather more funds through a backerkit pre-order store or kickstarter even? I do recall this is what happened when many of the BotM Ceratopsian stretch goals were not funded in time. That method allowed the rest to get successfully funded through latecomers pre-ordering what had been already unlocked.

Advertising/getting the word on social media is also key, to bring awareness about the project, and get your project successfully funded in time. Definitely will be stepping in to do this on my instagram account once the time arrives. Hopefully other members here that have a good bit of followers on their social media can also contribute.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Sim

It's good to hear from you and get an update, avatar_DinoToyCollector @DinoToyCollector!  I'm looking forward to the Platoesaurus and rauisuchid!  I'm also looking forward to seeing what else you have planned!

I agree with avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator in wanting more figures as stretch goals.  Looking through the list in the thread Concavenator linked to, I think the following would make good stretch goals if you don't already have them in the initial lineup, as they are from popular groups and seem unlikely to get made by anyone else soon:

1. Styxosaurus snowii, there's no long-necked plesiosauroid figure with smooth skin
2. Anchiceratops ornatus, has a striking crest and horns, yet isn't new or classic enough to get attention from other companies
3. Parasaurolophus tubicen, all the Parasaurolophus figures are P. walkeri
4. Saurolophus angustirostris, the only decent figure of it is a rare and retired figure that was exclusive to Japan
5. Shunosaurus lii, the only figures of it were botched
6. Appalachiosaurus montgomeriensis, there seems to be demand for it by people from the region it was found in
7. Daspletosaurus horneri, the Safari and BotM Daspletosaurus are D. torosus and the CollectA is the unnamed Dinosaur Park Formation Daspletosaurus

Thialfi

I know this is the easiest answer possible but I don't really go after smaller rewards like pins and postcards. I think it's sympathetic but when it comes to campaigns for dinosaur models I am strictly in it for the models themselves.

As for actual species: stuff that rarely, if ever, gets made: Permian and Triassic animals, synapsids, Cenozoic mammals.

As for everything else: I have full faith in Wild Past and you and can't wait to support any potential Kickstarters. Good luck!

Flaffy

Since Wild Past's already making a Scutosaurus, I'd like to see more Permian animals to accompany it. ^-^

Faelrin

avatar_Sim @Sim Parasaurolophus cyrtocristatus is also in dire need a figure. I would be very happy to see either get some long due representation though. I very much like your suggestions of Styxosaurus (JWE2 actually introduced me to this animal, and much to my surprise it has very good remains to work from), and Saurolophus (particularly the species you suggested since it was the one from the Nemegt formation, but either one is fine in my book).

avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy Very much like this suggestion too. Moschops is one animal in particular that I think could use a more available plastic version. Not that there's anything wrong with the Marx figure from what I can tell, but we haven't really gotten one since then though.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Sim

I've been thinking about it and I'm finding I like Concavenator's idea of letting us vote for the species we'd like as stretch goals.  If you'd prefer to just receive suggestions for figures that could be stretch goals, I've got some more ideas I'd like to share!

GojiraGuy1954

Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Thialfi

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on March 28, 2023, 07:34:49 PMCotylorhynchus
Easy for you to say.

(I agree, would be a fantastic option!)

Sim

So earlier I shared what I thought would be safe choices, there is some overlap with what I'd actually like, but it's occurred to me that it would be better to share what I'd like as stretch goals from the Wild Past Kickstarter, if they aren't already planned.  I'd like any of the following:

1. Herrerasaurus.  This is much-wanted by members of this forum!

2. Cryolophosaurus.  Fully feathered!

3. Zanabazar junior.  It would be so great to have a good troodontid figure finally!

4 and 5. Velociraptor mongoliensis and Saurornithoides mongoliensis.  They would go well with the Wild Past Protoceratops and each other!

6. Kentrosaurus.  It would be a nice size and there currently isn't a very good figure of this species.

7. Ornitholestes.  There isn't an accurate figure of this charming species.  Although it would be small at 1:35, it would make a great companion piece for many figures of Morrison Formation animals, e.g. Allosaurus, Stegosaurus, Diplodocus.

8. Daspletosaurus horneri.  It would be a nice size and to scale with the Safari Daspletosaurus torosus.

9. Dilophosaurus.  It would be good to have a good figure of this species.

10. Chasmosaurus belli.  Centrosaurus finally got a good model from PNSO, I think it's time the other classical ceratopsid, Chasmosaurus, gets a good model.

11. Styxosaurus snowii.  There is no figure of this highly complete elasmosaurid.

12. Shunosaurus lii.  As I mentioned earlier, it hasn't been done well and it deserves a good figure due to its uniqueness.

13. Utahceratops.  This would be bigger than Chasmosaurus, it would make quite an impressive figure I think.

14. Medusaceratops.  This could make a striking figure!

15. Centrosaurus brinkmani.  This could be stunning!

16. Apatosaurus.  This might be too big right now, but if you'd like something huge Apatosaurus is lacking a good figure.

17. Saurolophus angustirostris.  It would be big, but if that's okay then I think it would prove popular.

Lynx

I only have 3 things I would like!

1. Velociraptor, maybe in a pose that could go with the Protoceratops?
2. Oviraptor, also to go with the Protoceratops. There is yet to be a good Oviraptor that isn't sitting or in a large scale.
3. Pinacosaurus, again to go with the rest of the bunch. Much of paleoart I see has Pinacosaurus with Velociraptor, so I think that could be interesting.
An oversized house cat.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Sim on March 29, 2023, 12:16:18 AM2. Cryolophosaurus.  Fully feathered!

I'd prefer correct proportions

Sim

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Sim on March 29, 2023, 05:25:54 PM
Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on March 29, 2023, 05:24:35 PM
Quote from: Sim on March 29, 2023, 12:16:18 AM2. Cryolophosaurus.  Fully feathered!

I'd prefer correct proportions

What do you mean?
None of the Cryolophopsaurus figures available right now have correct Dilophosaurus-like proportions

Sim

It would be cool if Velociraptor mongoliensis, Saurornithoides and Oviraptor were made, perhaps in one set, as they were named in the same paper!

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

I would be more than happy to contribute to a Wild Past Kickstarter! I love this series and am anxious to see new models released.

In addition to the planned Plateosaurus (and rausuchid apparently?!?!?), I'd like to see the Emausaurus you teased a while back. I need a basal thyreophoran in my collection!

I would also enjoy seeing some of your 3D printed models "upgraded" to standard products if that's feasible, particularly your Magyarosaurus and some of the DinoZoo collaborations. I suppose the people who would be most likely to buy them may have already got the 3D printed versions, however, so I understand if that doesn't sound like a viable option.

You first captured my attention with your willingness to fill in the niche of producing smaller figures that other companies avoid, so whatever else you do, I would be most excited by a continued focus on small-bodied species. (My Morrison collection would finally feel complete if I could just get a 1:35 Camptosaurus and Dryosaurus, for example...  ;)  )

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: Sim on March 29, 2023, 12:16:18 AM7. Ornitholestes.  There isn't an accurate figure of this charming species.  Although it would be small at 1:35, it would make a great companion piece for many figures of Morrison Formation animals, e.g. Allosaurus, Stegosaurus, Diplodocus.

Oh yeah, I guess I should add both that and Gargoyleosaurus to my Morrison wishlist as well, though I'm still feeling the absence of a 1:35 Camptosaurus in my collection even more strongly.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: