News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Mattel - New for 2024

Started by Faelrin, July 21, 2023, 08:27:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pachyrhinosaurus

It is kind of odd that we haven't gotten much from the fourth film by Mattel seeing as it's the most popular of the second trilogy. I really only focus on toys from the first movie anymore but I'd definitely be interested in some redemption for what we got in 2015.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Faelrin

Codes for all the Wave 2 mini repacks here. Actually I think the Brachiosaurus might be new, but not 100% certain. It reminds me of the 2021 one that's for sure. Review is not in English, but subtitles are available to translate. In any case I'll get the codes up on the op.

Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

DinoFan2010

Brachio is indeed a different paint scheme from the one in the JP30 Advent Calendar from last year.

___🦕 🦕 🦖_________

Dilopho

Alright, I got the Blue. And it's really great, it's such a glow up from the last one!
However, the quality isn't so good.

For a start, the paint comes off really easily, especially on the joints.

Then you have the tail...
It's got cracks in it, blue paint bleed, and worst of all, I can't rotate the tail because the ball joint is completely stiff and at an angle. My attempts to loosen it have only made the ball joint go white like it's about to snap. Not good...

Dilopho

Blade-of-the-Moon

I really wish they would go back to the Battle At Big Rock Allo design..this one is just so hyper/toony.

I'll be getting the human figures just a shame I have to get more repaints to do it.

Does Yaz have a brown Compy or maybe a baby Galli in her hands? Hard to tell.

Prehistory Resurrection

More new Bite Club figures:

Blade-of-the-Moon

I wasn't really into these at first..but the Mosa with Zara and the pteranodon is pretty tempting.

Faelrin

The Mosasaurus fins look like chibi cephalopod appendages, and I'm not sure how I feel about that, lol. Otherwise funny that's the first time we are getting Zara from them, and it's from that particular death scene.

Most of these feel based on iconic scenes of sorts, but the Giganotosaurus is like left standing out. Missed opportunity to have the Moros cleaning its teeth, or it attacking the tower.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Gwangi

Quote from: Faelrin on May 15, 2024, 10:18:37 AMThe Mosasaurus fins look like chibi cephalopod appendages, and I'm not sure how I feel about that, lol. Otherwise funny that's the first time we are getting Zara from them, and it's from that particular death scene.

Most of these feel based on iconic scenes of sorts, but the Giganotosaurus is like left standing out. Missed opportunity to have the Moros cleaning its teeth, or it attacking the tower.

The Giga should have had Ian wielding the flaming stick, or whatever it was.

Nice to see this line continue. My wife will be happy.

DinoFan2010

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 15, 2024, 04:36:04 AMDoes Yaz have a brown Compy or maybe a baby Galli in her hands? Hard to tell.
I think it's a Compy. They've made Compy figures in that same shade of brown before.

___🦕 🦕 🦖_________

Blade-of-the-Moon

I think the Giga is meant to be chasing Ian in the vehicle..I guess they figured the "must go faster" worked. The funny thing is the Giga never killed anyone or really anything that I can recall.

I thought it might be, would have been better in green if so.  Someone on FB mentioned there is a scene with a baby Galli. I don't know though I haven't seen one.

Shane

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 15, 2024, 05:11:08 PMI think the Giga is meant to be chasing Ian in the vehicle..I guess they figured the "must go faster" worked. The funny thing is the Giga never killed anyone or really anything that I can recall.

I thought it might be, would have been better in green if so.  Someone on FB mentioned there is a scene with a baby Galli. I don't know though I haven't seen one.

It's a bit strange to include giga/malcolm when the other two are some of the most iconic deaths in the franchise. Nedry obviously, but also that poor assistant.

crazy8wizard

Quote from: Shane on May 15, 2024, 05:24:38 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 15, 2024, 05:11:08 PMI think the Giga is meant to be chasing Ian in the vehicle..I guess they figured the "must go faster" worked. The funny thing is the Giga never killed anyone or really anything that I can recall.

It's a bit strange to include giga/malcolm when the other two are some of the most iconic deaths in the franchise. Nedry obviously, but also that poor assistant.

Aside from an anachronistic battle with a Tyrannosaurus in the prologue and a deer I don't think the Giganotosaurus killed anyone. I can't remember exactly though

Gwangi

Quote from: Shane on May 15, 2024, 05:24:38 PM

Ah yes, the "poor assistant". I remember that scene getting so much backlash around here. Turns out, Katie McGrath wanted a brutal death scene and did her own stunts for it.  :P

Carnoking

Never much understood the backlash around the death myself. It certainly sticks with you as one of the more memorable moments of the film (for better or for worse) but the arguments that it was too "brutal", "over the top", "drawn out", or "undeserved" seem out of touch with the franchise as a whole. To add insult to injury, I hate how the creatives involved rolled over in response to the criticism and outright refused to kill or even harm characters if they didn't "deserve it". Some of the most iconic deaths of the franchise weren't "deserved".

I don't know, maybe I'm desensitized from being a long-time horror fan but I firmly believe there's nothing wrong with making the audience squirm a bit in their seats when you're dealing with subject matter like this. Disaster films shouldn't feel safe after all.

PumperKrickel

The problem is that she's the wrong character for this kind of death scene. She's kinda rude, so the audience doesn't really like her, but she's also not evil, so the audience doesn't hate her. There's no emotional impact, but it also doesn't feel random enough to heighten the sense of danger.

Something about those Bite Club figures just weirds me out, I don't know why.

Shane

I think it's just jarring and unexpected. It's not overly gruesome or graphic, but the whole scene just feels oddly extended and kinda bordering on slapstick. It's almost Rube Goldberg-esque in how it plays out with her getting snatched up, tossed between multiple pterosaurs, dropped in the water, scooped up in another pterosaur's jaws (repeatedly), before being once again dragged upward by that same pterosaur before being finally finished off by the Mosasaurus.

For me, it's not so much whether it's "deserved" or not, it's just that a sequence lasting nearly a full minute, drawing out one character's death, seems odd in the context of the rest of the movie, and the franchise in general. I'm not in the camp that's upset because it wasn't "deserved", but it definitely stood out as a strange scene to me.

Carnoking

Quote from: PumperKrickel on May 15, 2024, 07:13:34 PMThe problem is that she's the wrong character for this kind of death scene. She's kinda rude, so the audience doesn't really like her, but she's also not evil, so the audience doesn't hate her. There's no emotional impact, but it also doesn't feel random enough to heighten the sense of danger.

Something about those Bite Club figures just weirds me out, I don't know why.

That's a reasonable way to look at it. I suppose I gave it a pass because I enjoyed getting to see the carnage caused when the animals were loose in a densely populated area (something Dominion sorely failed to deliver on with the exception of scooter guy)
But yes, that could have been done with a villain who deserved it, a hero who we had more connection to, or just a random civilian we had not seen before to ensure a cushion of disconnect. Perhaps Zara was just too middle of the road for any of that.

Gwangi

Quote from: Shane on May 15, 2024, 07:15:25 PMI think it's just jarring and unexpected. It's not overly gruesome or graphic, but the whole scene just feels oddly extended and kinda bordering on slapstick. It's almost Rube Goldberg-esque in how it plays out with her getting snatched up, tossed between multiple pterosaurs, dropped in the water, scooped up in another pterosaur's jaws (repeatedly), before being once again dragged upward by that same pterosaur before being finally finished off by the Mosasaurus.

For me, it's not so much whether it's "deserved" or not, it's just that a sequence lasting nearly a full minute, drawing out one character's death, seems odd in the context of the rest of the movie, and the franchise in general. I'm not in the camp that's upset because it wasn't "deserved", but it definitely stood out as a strange scene to me.

I can respect that take. Honestly, by the time we get to the 4th film in a franchise I think we could have used more outlandish death scenes in these dinosaurs-run-amok films. It shouldn't have felt unexpected, it's what the entire film should have been. Especially Dominion.

I agree with P @PumperKrickel, these Bite Club toys are kinda odd. I feel like the last batch was better. The Giga is the best of these three while the other two are too misshapen and not as cute as they probably should be.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: