News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

NANMU---new for 2024

Started by dragon53, January 01, 2024, 02:38:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Concavenator

Over9K

Quote from: Sim on February 11, 2024, 02:49:15 PMWhat I find surprising is that there are people who just want more of what already exists.  Tyrannosaurus has plenty of good models in the size range Nanmu makes their figures in, with PNSO's Cameron being recent and Eofauna's Tyrannosaurus upcoming.  Plus there's REBOR's Kiss and Tusk and W-Dragon's.

You can't expect Dominoes to stop making pepperoni pizzas, or Ford to stop making the F-150, or Coca Cola to stop making Coke. They make other things, yes, but the best sellers are the best sellers for a reason. People actually buy them.   

Look, none of us want you to be denied the dinosaurs you are interested in, but we want T. rex... and we get them, because we are legion.

I would also point out that the Wilson and Cameron sales and profits are why PNSO can make two Yangchuanosaurus examples back-to-back, before dropping a Zuul, which don't get me wrong, is a super cool dinosaur... also virtually unknown to the normals.

Those T.rex variations you lament allow the companies some breathing room to take risks. This is exactly why REBOR puts out a Rex-esque figure at least once annually. Without Kiss/Tusk you don't get Dire Wolf, or Titanoboa.

Over9K

Here's a thing.

Y'all need to shill for your dinosaurs.

STANLEY was a tool company, until some lady online said "%$#@! THIS CUP IS AMAZING!"

Suddenly, STANLEY is a cup company... and they don't even make them, they're outsourced. But now, those cups are STANLEY's #1 seller.

You can affect the market with social media.

You want Nanmu to make a Therizinosaurus? You don't really have to convince Nanmu to make it... you have to convince the rest of us to want it, and then Nanmu making it will just happen naturally.

Carnoking

I think this is where the question of what kind of T. rex folks are voting for Nanmu to make comes in. The thing about REBOR or PNSO making new rexes is that each of their models has a different focus. REBOR did JP, the cheap GnG offering, Retrosaurs, and Scientific models over the course of several years and only just started circling back to the JP style while Nanmu has just done more of the same. PNSO is of course bound to accuracy, so their rexes may feel a bit more repetitive but at least they're still based on specific specimens and show marked differences in style and knowledge from figure to figure.

That said, if it is indeed something novel that people are voting for here (I.e., articulated or scientific), then I can see Nanmu reaping the rewards.

But if it's just another standard Jurassic Park T. rex model or dragon soul release with a different pose, or slightly different paint, or tweaked details, then there has to be an eventual point of diminishing returns, right?
I mean, how many JP rexes could someone purchase before deciding they have enough? I currently have 5 (Alpha, Alpha 2.0, Perpetual Curtain, Master Hunter, and Once and Future King) with the red variant of Alpha 2.0 on the way (and I will admit, just typing that makes me feel disgusted). Whether or not I keep all of those is a big question at the moment but the point I'm driving at is that I'm full up on rexes and if more come I would probably just decide to save my money and I'm sure other collectors would do the same.

Maybe there'd be enough new collectors to balance things out, but it would sure be disappointing to stop seeing Nanmu products that excite me.

Carnoking

Quote from: Over9K on February 11, 2024, 09:48:42 PMYou want Nanmu to make a Therizinosaurus? You don't really have to convince Nanmu to make it... you have to convince the rest of us to want it, and then Nanmu making it will just happen naturally.

People do seem to want it if you read the comments on their posts... that's why this poll feels like it's just cherry picking. They posted a single poll only available to a specific corner of the market, took a screen cap of early results with very small leads, and used that as the end all be all way to say "See? People don't want us to make this."

Sim

Quote from: Over9K on February 11, 2024, 09:33:49 PMYou can't expect Dominoes to stop making pepperoni pizzas, or Ford to stop making the F-150, or Coca Cola to stop making Coke. They make other things, yes, but the best sellers are the best sellers for a reason. People actually buy them. 
I get your point, but those things are not comparable to animal figure models.  Also, things that aren't best sellers are bought too, but I guess you were exaggerating.

Quote from: Over9K on February 11, 2024, 09:33:49 PMLook, none of us want you to be denied the dinosaurs you are interested in, but we want T. rex... and we get them, because we are legion.
That's fine. :)  I just didn't think there was a never-ending desire for Tyrannosaurus figures.  Now I know there is.  Just like for horse figures, I guess.

Quote from: Over9K on February 11, 2024, 09:33:49 PMThose T.rex variations you lament allow the companies some breathing room to take risks. This is exactly why REBOR puts out a Rex-esque figure at least once annually. Without Kiss/Tusk you don't get Dire Wolf, or Titanoboa.
I think REBOR's Titanoboa were made before Kiss and Tusk, but again I get your point.

Over9K

Quote from: Carnoking on February 11, 2024, 09:52:47 PMPeople do seem to want it if you read the comments on their posts... that's why this poll feels like it's just cherry picking.

The view from Nanmu's side of the screen might be very different. IMO, if they smelled potential profit, they'd make product.

I mean, this is exactly what they're doing now. Nanmu sees the profits being made by BOTM and the Hammond Collection, and they're jumping on the super-articulated band-wagon. They're changing their entire model, because they see potential profit in a new product line.

Over9K

Quote from: Sim on February 11, 2024, 09:55:27 PM
Quote from: Over9K on February 11, 2024, 09:33:49 PMLook, none of us want you to be denied the dinosaurs you are interested in, but we want T. rex... and we get them, because we are legion.
That's fine. :)  I just didn't think there was a never-ending desire for Tyrannosaurus figures.  Now I know there is.  Just like for horse figures, I guess.

I never said it was fair, which is isn't. That is just the nature of a free-market economy: Someone is always disappointed.

Over9K

Quote from: Carnoking on February 11, 2024, 09:51:36 PMI think this is where the question of what kind of T. rex folks are voting for Nanmu to make comes in. The thing about REBOR or PNSO making new rexes is that each of their models has a different focus. REBOR did JP, the cheap GnG offering, Retrosaurs, and Scientific models over the course of several years and only just started circling back to the JP style while Nanmu has just done more of the same. PNSO is of course bound to accuracy, so their rexes may feel a bit more repetitive but at least they're still based on specific specimens and show marked differences in style and knowledge from figure to figure.

That said, if it is indeed something novel that people are voting for here (I.e., articulated or scientific), then I can see Nanmu reaping the rewards.

But if it's just another standard Jurassic Park T. rex model or dragon soul release with a different pose, or slightly different paint, or tweaked details, then there has to be an eventual point of diminishing returns, right?
I mean, how many JP rexes could someone purchase before deciding they have enough? I currently have 5 (Alpha, Alpha 2.0, Perpetual Curtain, Master Hunter, and Once and Future King) with the red variant of Alpha 2.0 on the way (and I will admit, just typing that makes me feel disgusted). Whether or not I keep all of those is a big question at the moment but the point I'm driving at is that I'm full up on rexes and if more come I would probably just decide to save my money and I'm sure other collectors would do the same.

Maybe there'd be enough new collectors to balance things out, but it would sure be disappointing to stop seeing Nanmu products that excite me.

I have continuously been astounded at just how often these companies can dip from the Rexy well and the buckets comes up full every time.

Would I like to see any other T.rex? HELL YES.

The list of pop-culture Tyrannosaurus I would like figures of is very long, and there is no way in hell I will ever see any of them. Nobody is ever going to make the T.rex from Caveman, or the T.rex from My Science Project, or god forbid someone ANYONE make a halfway decent King Kong '33 Tyrannosaurus, or a financially feasible Jonas Studios/Sinclair rex.

Yeah, I still want more T.rex... haven't nearly got them all yet.

triceratops83

Quote from: Over9K on February 11, 2024, 10:32:09 PMThe list of pop-culture Tyrannosaurus I would like figures of is very long, and there is no way in hell I will ever see any of them. Nobody is ever going to make the T.rex from Caveman, or the T.rex from My Science Project, or god forbid someone ANYONE make a halfway decent King Kong '33 Tyrannosaurus, or a financially feasible Jonas Studios/Sinclair rex.

That's a good list but don't forget the rex from Planet of Dinosaurs.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Carnoking on February 11, 2024, 07:08:58 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 11, 2024, 05:39:09 PMWhich is fine it is their business. I'll just save more money. ;)

I imagine if they opt to just keep cranking out more rex figures based on  a lot of collectors will start to feel this way. If you asked me, they nailed the heck out of their last Spino and rex releases, so much so that any new JP inspired model offerings from Nanmu or any other company would feel superfluous. If they do indeed decide to make more, I very likely would not purchase them.

Of course, an articulated version could be interesting to see if their smart series proves to be worth its salt but then what do I know, I'm not from China :p

They can just flood the market with them. I would need a VERY good reason to buy my 20th something JP Rex. I'm pretty burntout on what I have now.

Quote from: Carnoking on February 11, 2024, 07:10:51 PMAnd again, amidst all this talk of what sells, I still can't wrap my head around them producing what is basically just "big ape" and thinking it would outsell a dinosaur people have been basically harassing them over for years now

Yeah Kong is a good movie never really cared to own any of them..he kills dinosaurs afterall. Maybe more people like him than I thought, but of all the toys from the new Godzilla x Kong film, Kong and Skar the primates, are shelf warming already.

They get asked to make a new Indoraptor or Indominus and flat out refuse. No clue why.

Quote from: Over9K on February 11, 2024, 10:32:09 PM
Quote from: Carnoking on February 11, 2024, 09:51:36 PMI think this is where the question of what kind of T. rex folks are voting for Nanmu to make comes in. The thing about REBOR or PNSO making new rexes is that each of their models has a different focus. REBOR did JP, the cheap GnG offering, Retrosaurs, and Scientific models over the course of several years and only just started circling back to the JP style while Nanmu has just done more of the same. PNSO is of course bound to accuracy, so their rexes may feel a bit more repetitive but at least they're still based on specific specimens and show marked differences in style and knowledge from figure to figure.

I have continuously been astounded at just how often these companies can dip from the Rexy well and the buckets comes up full every time.

Would I like to see any other T.rex? HELL YES.

The list of pop-culture Tyrannosaurus I would like figures of is very long, and there is no way in hell I will ever see any of them. Nobody is ever going to make the T.rex from Caveman, or the T.rex from My Science Project, or god forbid someone ANYONE make a halfway decent King Kong '33 Tyrannosaurus, or a financially feasible Jonas Studios/Sinclair rex.

Yeah, I still want more T.rex... haven't nearly got them all yet.

I have resin models of the Caveman Rex, and the Sinclair Rex. I do have an XPlus figure of the 33' Rex from Kong too. They out there, just not as mass produced figures.

Quote from: triceratops83 on February 11, 2024, 11:02:02 PM
Quote from: Over9K on February 11, 2024, 10:32:09 PMThe list of pop-culture Tyrannosaurus I would like figures of is very long, and there is no way in hell I will ever see any of them. Nobody is ever going to make the T.rex from Caveman, or the T.rex from My Science Project, or god forbid someone ANYONE make a halfway decent King Kong '33 Tyrannosaurus, or a financially feasible Jonas Studios/Sinclair rex.

That's a good list but don't forget the rex from Planet of Dinosaurs.

I had a large 1:15 sale Planet of the Dinosaurs Rex custom made. There is at least one sculptor that makes 3D printed models of it too.

triceratops83

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 12, 2024, 04:13:10 AMI had a large 1:15 sale Planet of the Dinosaurs Rex custom made. There is at least one sculptor that makes 3D printed models of it too.

That's awesome! That Tyrannosaurus was such a great villain.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: triceratops83 on February 12, 2024, 09:51:20 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 12, 2024, 04:13:10 AMI had a large 1:15 sale Planet of the Dinosaurs Rex custom made. There is at least one sculptor that makes 3D printed models of it too.

That's awesome! That Tyrannosaurus was such a great villain.

He totally is, my first HORROR dinosaur film.

Takama

No love for CARNOSAUR?

I pay for a action figure of that.

No seriusly

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Takama on February 12, 2024, 04:41:59 PMNo love for CARNOSAUR?

No seriusly

I like it, it's not a very memorable or lovable design though. Not enough personality. But still cool enough. I think there is one model by Dopepope out of it in a couple sizes and another one coming from Syrett?

Over9K

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 13, 2024, 02:27:50 AM

No seriusly

I like it, it's not a very memorable or lovable design though. Not enough personality. But still cool enough. I think there is one model by Dopepope out of it in a couple sizes and another one coming from Syrett?

Creacher Preature has one too, I believe. He does a nice Last Dinosaur, and a Planet Of Dinosaurs rex too.

triceratops83

Quote from: Over9K on February 13, 2024, 04:47:34 AMCreacher Preature has one too, I believe. He does a nice Last Dinosaur, and a Planet Of Dinosaurs rex too.

The Last Dinosaur is the only rex mentioned here I probably wouldn't want. It's so goofy looking.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Over9K on February 13, 2024, 04:47:34 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 13, 2024, 02:27:50 AM

No seriusly

Creacher Preature has one too, I believe. He does a nice Last Dinosaur, and a Planet Of Dinosaurs rex too.

Maybe that's who  I was thinking of?  I don't have any of his pieces but I've been tempted.  I do have a Last Dinosaur by Dopepope I love. just need to get around to painting him.

Quote from: triceratops83 on February 13, 2024, 05:04:56 AM
Quote from: Over9K on February 13, 2024, 04:47:34 AMCreacher Preature has one too, I believe. He does a nice Last Dinosaur, and a Planet Of Dinosaurs rex too.

The Last Dinosaur is the only rex mentioned here I probably wouldn't want. It's so goofy looking.

I think it's part of the charm lol I liked Boone's character in it an the theme song. Whole thing reminded me of A Gun for Dinosaur.  It also had that Godzilla feel which I understand now as the effects were done by Toho. He's very similar to Gorosaurus so if anyone wants a figure it could suffice.

triceratops83

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 13, 2024, 05:45:20 AM

I think it's part of the charm lol I liked Boone's character in it an the theme song.

Yeah but I'd never be able to look at it without picturing it rocketing down a hill tied to a boulder.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: triceratops83 on February 13, 2024, 06:23:24 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 13, 2024, 05:45:20 AM

I think it's part of the charm lol I liked Boone's character in it an the theme song.

Yeah but I'd never be able to look at it without picturing it rocketing down a hill tied to a boulder.

lol you have to give it to the suit actor though, there's a lot of character in there.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: