News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

NANMU---new for 2024

Started by dragon53, January 01, 2024, 02:38:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Concavenator on May 04, 2024, 11:55:14 AMI keep checking this thread to see if they finally announce a scientifically accurate figure...

I wouldn't hold my breath lol

Nanmu seems to be a company in transition and they aren't 100% sure where to go. They are starting to niche themselves with high end poseable figures now vs static models and statues which was their bread and butter. They established a following with that and are now going in a new direction away from it. It's annoying as a collector of their products to see them change gears so much and keep releasing the same thing in different formats. All I can think is I'm saving money for other things.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Looks like Nanmu is planning JP and TLW Raptors next for the Smart series.

QuoteWhen recalling the visual shock of this childhood, it can still evoke deep awe in my heart.
Salute the classic, what we bring to you this time is Tiger Blade & Shadow Blade!
This product belongs to the smart series.
Please follow us for more details.

Flaffy

Now THIS I'm excited for. TLW raptors deserve more recognition.

Eatmycar

If they can ditch the support rods, they'll be a must have, especially the 97 raptors. Until then they're glorified statues.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Eatmycar on May 05, 2024, 04:17:44 AMIf they can ditch the support rods, they'll be a must have, especially the 97 raptors. Until then they're glorified statues.

I've seen them stand without the rods but not in active poses.

Faelrin

I saw on their instagram that they have 2 more articulated raptors planned. JP and TLW I'd guess from the head sculpts and names.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Faelrin on May 05, 2024, 07:35:06 AMI saw on their instagram that they have 2 more articulated raptors planned. JP and TLW I'd guess from the head sculpts and names.

Yeah it looks that way. I posted about it above ^  ^-^

Faelrin

avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon Oops I missed that. I was up pretty late when I posted that so no wonder lol.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

dragon53

Concavenator

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 04, 2024, 05:01:48 PM
Quote from: Concavenator on May 04, 2024, 11:55:14 AMI keep checking this thread to see if they finally announce a scientifically accurate figure...

Nanmu seems to be a company in transition and they aren't 100% sure where to go. They are starting to niche themselves with high end poseable figures now vs static models and statues which was their bread and butter. They established a following with that and are now going in a new direction away from it. It's annoying as a collector of their products to see them change gears so much and keep releasing the same thing in different formats. All I can think is I'm saving money for other things.

IIRC, they hinted at the possibility of making scientifically accurate figures, but I guess they're simply not too interested after all.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Faelrin on May 05, 2024, 01:56:40 PMavatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon Oops I missed that. I was up pretty late when I posted that so no wonder lol.

It happens, trust me.   I reply late or too early and later I read my posts thinking 'what?" lol

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Concavenator on May 05, 2024, 04:27:04 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 04, 2024, 05:01:48 PM

IIRC, they hinted at the possibility of making scientifically accurate figures, but I guess they're simply not too interested after all.

I can't blame them with so many companies making accurate figures, but you know Nanmu pretty much only makes what they want and what will definitely sell..at least as far as they think. Which seems to be only Jurassic and Kong.  They really haven't branched out much recently. All those film dinos to make and nada. I'm really surprised they haven't done a Godzilla yet. That may have something to do with copyright as there are Chinese companies holding the actual license in several places?

Flaffy

For those that have the recent jp3 smart series raptors, are there any major engineering flaws present on the figure? I'm definitely interested in Nanmu's upcoming JP & TLW raptors, so was wondering if there are aspects to be improved upon as the JP3 raptors are to my knowledge Nanmu's very first fully articulated models.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Flaffy on May 05, 2024, 11:06:00 PMFor those that have the recent jp3 smart series raptors, are there any major engineering flaws present on the figure? I'm definitely interested in Nanmu's upcoming JP & TLW raptors, so was wondering if there are aspects to be improved upon as the JP3 raptors are to my knowledge Nanmu's very first fully articulated models.

I just went ahead and opened one of my males, I bought two and one female.  It looks fantastic, the paint issues are at the joints as Lana mentioned but they aren't detracting.  My ankle joint on one feels a bit loose?  the ankle/toes don't have a great range of motion and I had to heat up the wrists to get them to fold down more in that JP raptor pose..the full bunny palm.  I was able to get it to stand for a few minutes on it's own but not for long so now it's on the stand. They are leagues above the Amber Collection pieces in terms of detail and accuracy, though those can stand in more poses.  I think they share many of the same flaws the BotM figures do. In my opinion they are more limited due to not having as many parts. More like the old Resaurus figures?  I'm pretty sure the tail isn't bendy? I would like some splayed fingers and curled toes to switch out to make leaping/attacking/running poses.   Nanmu has said they intend to improve, only time will tell. It will be easy for them to make these next raptors using the same body with different heads. 

Blade-of-the-Moon

Couple more pics of my three raptors. Going to have to take a few outside later.

Flaffy

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 06, 2024, 04:32:51 AM
Quote from: Flaffy on May 05, 2024, 11:06:00 PMFor those that have the recent jp3 smart series raptors, are there any major engineering flaws present on the figure? I'm definitely interested in Nanmu's upcoming JP & TLW raptors, so was wondering if there are aspects to be improved upon as the JP3 raptors are to my knowledge Nanmu's very first fully articulated models.

I just went ahead and opened one of my males, I bought two and one female.  It looks fantastic, the paint issues are at the joints as Lana mentioned but they aren't detracting.  My ankle joint on one feels a bit loose?  the ankle/toes don't have a great range of motion and I had to heat up the wrists to get them to fold down more in that JP raptor pose..the full bunny palm.  I was able to get it to stand for a few minutes on it's own but not for long so now it's on the stand. They are leagues above the Amber Collection pieces in terms of detail and accuracy, though those can stand in more poses.  I think they share many of the same flaws the BotM figures do. In my opinion they are more limited due to not having as many parts. More like the old Resaurus figures?  I'm pretty sure the tail isn't bendy? I would like some splayed fingers and curled toes to switch out to make leaping/attacking/running poses.   Nanmu has said they intend to improve, only time will tell. It will be easy for them to make these next raptors using the same body with different heads. 

Thanks for the detailed breakdown! I'm sure Nanmu is capable of fixing these minor hiccups here and there with better engineering. The lack of switchable hands and feet is a bit odd for a collectors piece but not a dealbreaker to me as I don't tend to utilise such features anyways.

They do seem really fun to play around with though from your pics. I'm seriously reconsidering getting these JP3 raptors now...

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Flaffy on May 07, 2024, 04:01:46 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 06, 2024, 04:32:51 AM

Thanks for the detailed breakdown! I'm sure Nanmu is capable of fixing these minor hiccups here and there with better engineering. The lack of switchable hands and feet is a bit odd for a collectors piece but not a dealbreaker to me as I don't tend to utilise such features anyways.

They do seem really fun to play around with though from your pics. I'm seriously reconsidering getting these JP3 raptors now...

Very welcome. The detail alone sold me. It's better than the Iron Studios Raptors I have.

I did notice the feet are a bit better on the female and 2nd male I opened. 

Lack of pieces are in no way a dealbreaker either for me. Just would be fun to do a bit more with an attack pose. :)

Joliezac

Mine are out for delivery today, I'm excited to see them. As long as they can stand for a minute or two outside so I can get photos, that will be sufficient for me. Most of my Rebor therapods don't stand on their own anymore without a stand unfortunately.

I'm excited to see TLW raptors! Don't they have a carno in the works too?

Joliezac

Mine just arrived. Phenomenal paintwork and details. The joints do have the paint pealing off like Lana Time Shop mentioned. My female I can get to stand for about 30 seconds but the male has one really loose foot and I can not get him to stand at all without him balancing on his tail or the stand. So I'm not sure how well these will hold up outdoors for photos. The joints in the feet just seem to loose because they slip and topple over very easily. Articulation in the hands is good and the mouths are painted really nicely.

Flaffy

I've read that a solution to increasing joint tightness is to apply coatings of colourless varnish (e.g. matte varnish for sealing paint on figurines) into the joints to increase friction. Nail varnish is not reccomended as they tend to degrade over time, or at least at a more rapid rate than paint varnish.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: