News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

PNSO - New for 2024

Started by Renecito, January 15, 2024, 12:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy8wizard

At this point I'm really just getting annoyed by the lip arguments. Sure, there's plenty to be said about the inclusion of lips or not but the arguing is getting tiresome because it's the same points every time.

Turkeysaurus

I must say it would be funny to see people here sending their customized lippy PNSO figures for lip removal if hypothetically a new paper comes for lipless look.  :P  Until another paper comes for the lips again..

This is why scientifically accurate dinosaur models are better investment for toy companies and crafty people.

crazy8wizard

I kinda doubt that there's going to be a paper about unlipped theropods any time soon

Turkeysaurus

1.)So what's your favorite carcharodontosaurid from PNSO? I think it's a competition between Tyrannotitan , Meraxes and Mapusaurus. I'd go with Mapusaurus even though i like Meraxes colors more.

2.) Also looking at Lufengosaurus & Tyrannotitan, Do you think PNSO is influenced by Haolonggood lately? More vibrant & multiple coloration with ending with a different colors on tails.

Faelrin

I think Rebor's approach with Kiss and Tusk was the best. One with lips, one without. You could do it with one figure too but just have an alternate head that could be swapped. You satisfy both preferences that way. Don't know why no else has tried that.

With a hobby like this science will always be marching on. It's why I'm usually fine if something becomes outdated, and sometimes willing to wait a while, especially with frequently made genera. For those that are rarely made I'm more forgiving towards erroneous details (such as Haolonggood's Maiasaura, Ouranosaurus, etc).

avatar_Turkeysaurus @Turkeysaurus Meraxes reigns supreme for me, but those two are certainly up there with it. You bring a good point, but they have some colorful additions prior to Haolonggood's recent additons, like their Lambeosaurus.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Sim on May 28, 2024, 10:17:11 PM
Quote from: SidB on May 26, 2024, 11:31:59 AM
Quote from: thomasw100 on May 26, 2024, 08:22:41 AMLufengosaurus was revealed on 25 March, Wuerhosaurus on 26 April. Will we see the next release today?
I'd like to see that happen!
I'm surprised PNSO hasn't revealed another figure yet.  Will the whole of May go without a new PNSO release?
And the monkey's paw curls
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

GojiraGuy1954

At least now we're done with giant carcharodontosaurs.
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Turkeysaurus

Quote from: Faelrin on May 29, 2024, 09:17:45 PMavatar_Turkeysaurus @Turkeysaurus Meraxes reigns supreme for me, but those two are certainly up there with it. You bring a good point, but they have some colorful additions prior to Haolonggood's recent additons, like their Lambeosaurus.

Purple on brown with ending a blue/green tail. Especially the colored tail with multiple colors on the body.. If only it had those ugly wrinkly "haolongood" lines.  ;D

Pliosaurking

I absolutely love the look of this model, and I can look past the lack of lips, the colour scheme is just too nice.

Sim

Quote from: Turkeysaurus on May 29, 2024, 08:45:07 PM1.)So what's your favorite carcharodontosaurid from PNSO? I think it's a competition between Tyrannotitan , Meraxes and Mapusaurus. I'd go with Mapusaurus even though i like Meraxes colors more.
Acrocanthosaurus for me.  I initially didn't like it, but I adore mine now.  It's an excellent figure, the promotional pictures were just not good.  In second place is the second version of Giganotosaurus, I really like it too.

Quote from: Turkeysaurus on May 29, 2024, 08:45:07 PM2.) Also looking at Lufengosaurus & Tyrannotitan, Do you think PNSO is influenced by Haolonggood lately? More vibrant & multiple coloration with ending with a different colors on tails.
I actually don't think PNSO has been influenced by Haolonggood.  I think the Tyrannotitan ended up being so colourful because they needed some way to set it apart from their previous carcharodontosaurids.  And the Lufengosaurus's colouration is actually like the display version of PNSO's original Lufengosaurus figure, from before Haolonggood existed.  I tried finding a photo of it, but haven't been able to, maybe someone else can help?

Sim

Quote from: Faelrin on May 29, 2024, 09:17:45 PMI think Rebor's approach with Kiss and Tusk was the best. One with lips, one without. You could do it with one figure too but just have an alternate head that could be swapped. You satisfy both preferences that way. Don't know why no else has tried that.
If I'm remembering right W-dragon made a Tyrannosaurus figure with interchangeable lipped and lipless heads.  I wouldn't ever buy a figure like that, I want the head to be permanently attached to the rest of the animal.

Turkeysaurus

Quote from: Sim on May 29, 2024, 11:04:33 PMAcrocanthosaurus for me.  I initially didn't like it, but I adore mine now.  It's an excellent figure, the promotional pictures were just not good.  In second place is the second version of Giganotosaurus, I really like it too.

I actually don't think PNSO has been influenced by Haolonggood.  I think the Tyrannotitan ended up being so colourful because they needed some way to set it apart from their previous carcharodontosaurids.  And the Lufengosaurus's colouration is actually like the display version of PNSO's original Lufengosaurus figure, from before Haolonggood existed.  I tried finding a photo of it, but haven't been able to, maybe someone else can help?

I have acrochantosaurus actually, i guess i forgot because he doesn't look like average carcharodontosaurid. Yes, he is a beauty. I don't have giganotosaurus yet so i'll try to wait lipped version (rebor gonna make one)...but if i can't resist, i'm gonna buy Mapusaurus. I like it's paint more than Giga. ( They look so similar they can be subtitutes for eachother) Somebody will make another Giganotosaurus in future and make it Green or Orange/Brown anyway.  :D

Yeah you are right about Lufengosaurus i have seen the paint of it. I wonder if they had Tyrannotitan paint too before.. Maybe it's just  coincidence.

Turkeysaurus

Quote from: Sim on May 29, 2024, 11:22:44 PMIf I'm remembering right W-dragon made a Tyrannosaurus figure with interchangeable lipped and lipless heads.  I wouldn't ever buy a figure like that, I want the head to be permanently attached to the rest of the animal.

It has open mouth and closed mouth versions of a lipped T.rex. Not lipless.

I wouldn't buy that figure because for some reason it reminds me Jurassic Park Rexy. I love detachable heads & tails though. It would be even greater if they had different coloration or patterns.

Sim

Thanks for the correction. :)  I must have gotten a bit confused with how boring W-dragon has been, releasing Tyrannosaurus after Tyrannosaurus.  On the subject of being boring, it's frustrating how PNSO has made so many allosauroids yet won't produce any dromaeosaurids besides some old Microraptor figures.  Their Giganotosaurini look basically identical and there's now four of them.  Meanwhile if someone wants a eudromaeosaurian PNSO doesn't make any. >:(

thedeadlymoose

Looks beautiful.

I agree it was probably designed earlier before the switch to lipped designs. (Production delays on individual figures are very unpredictable.) I do think lips are much more likely to be accurate, but that doesn't spoil the figure at all for me. That would make a difference for me only if the paint scheme was more generic. As it is, I think it's great.

Faelrin

avatar_Sim @Sim Dromaeosaurids aside, they've barely done any theropods outside of Allosauroidea and Tyrannosauroidea (edit: post Little Dinosaurs). Excluding the huge Ceratosaurus, and the 2019 re-releases of the China Post set in the Prehistoric Animal Model seried (Gigantoraptor, Microraptor, and Yangchuanosaurus), here's every other genus of theropod they've done in figure form, sorted by families. Those in blue are Little Dinosaurs exclusive genera.

Abelisauridae:
Abelisaurus, Carnotaurus, Indosuchus, Majungasaurus

Anchiornithidae:
Anchiornis

Archaeopterygidae:
Archaeopteryx

Compsognathidae:
Sinosauropteryx

Confuciusornithidae:
Confuciusornis

Deinocheiridae:
Deinocheirus

Dromaeosauridae:
Microraptor

Megalosauridae:
Megalosaurus, Torvosaurus

Scansoriopterygidae:
Yi

Spinosauridae:
Baryonyx, Spinosauridae indet. "Sinopliosaurus", Spinosaurus, Suchomimus

Therizinosauridae:
Therizinosaurus

Troodontidae:
Mei

Other:
Cryolophosaurus (Tetanurae)

The Little Dinosaurs are doing a lot of lifting for variety. Without them, it is much more poor with basically only the most famous or popular members of their respective groups. The exceptions include Microraptor (although it is famous, I dare say Velociraptor, Deinonychus, and Utahraptor are more), and "Sinopliosaurus" before Suchomimus, and even a larger Baryonyx yet surprisingly.

For another comparison, here is every genus with a figure from Allosauroidea and Tyrannosauroidea (including Little Dinosaurs). Those in blue are Little Dinosaurs exclusive.

Allosauroidea (11 total):
Acrocanthosaurus, Allosaurus, Carcharodontosaurus, Concavenator, Giganotosaurus, Mapusaurus, Meraxes, Saurophaganax, Sinraptor, Tyrannotitan, Yangchuanosaurus

Tyrannosauroidea (11 total):
Albertosaurus, Alioramus, Daspletosaurus, Gorgosaurus, Lythronax, Proceratosaurus, Qianzhousaurus, Tarbosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Yutyrannus, Zhuchengtyrannus
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

oscars_dinos

Quote from: Flaffy on May 29, 2024, 01:54:22 PMNo lips :-\ Probably cus it was sculpted alongside the rest of the Carcharodontosaurs. Which makes me wonder why its being released now?

Fantastic colour scheme hampered by the utterly dull choice of species. I've considered letting go of my Mapusaurus and only keep the Meraxes + Giganotosaurus.
Quote from: Tracewyrm! on May 29, 2024, 02:18:59 PM
Quote from: shahinos on May 29, 2024, 02:09:41 PMMaybe I'm just really bad at spotting differences, but the head looks identical to the Giga from last year.

Judging by the liplessness, I wouldn't be all that surprised if this was originally supposed to release along with the rest of the Carcharodontosaurid wave but was postponed or put in the back burner because PNSO was scared people would find it too similar to the Giga. Like, the Mapusaurus and Meraxes were all pretty visually distinct but Mateo does look rather similar to the Giganotosaurus despite a slightly different paintjob and the change in proportions.

I don't think it's very likely but I wouldn't exactly be shocked either if that's how this Tyrannotitan came to be.

I fully believe this to be the case and honestly I wouldn't be surprised if we get one or two more toothy figures released. It all depends on how far out pnso makes their figures. If they are sitting on any other figure that is lacking lips and they have already made a mold for it I don't think they will just replace or change it especially if they have already started printing and painting them. Sure HLG eventually went back and changed the thumb spike on the oranosaurus but I feel like that is a bit different. I personally hope this is the last un lipped theropod and that they just didn't release it last year because they felt it would be too much. It is just odd that it really felt like last year was the "lets clean shop and get rid of all these lipless Dinos now that were doing lips (minus the spino)" year, but this one just didn't get rolled into that. all in all I can't justify getting it, ive been lipping my older figures but for the sake of space on my shelf (and my wallet) I'll just wait for the next lipped Dino.

Primeval12

Quote from: crazy8wizard on May 29, 2024, 08:43:48 PMI kinda doubt that there's going to be a paper about unlipped theropods any time soon

Maybe from Jack Horner going against the grain again lol

CarnotaurusKing

A lipless reconstruction of a creature known from scant remains  :(  but man he's so pretty. Also looks like he has the cornified pad inferred for Mapusaurus, when PNSO's actual attempt at a Mapusaurus had a pair of ridges running down the snout, so there's that. Would've preferred a Concavenator or an abelisaurid, but it's such a good model that I don't really mind.

Paleo Flo

Is this PNSO's answer to Haolonggoods visually attractive dinosaur reconstructions? In my modest opinion it seems to be.
At first sight I liked the model nevertheless but I have zero interest in the genus. So it wouldn't be a buy for me.
Furthermore I think today, that the transitions from one colour to another are feeling very unnatural. This is just my opinion.
I cherish PNSOs models a lot I have to say in addition.
I think that this Tyrannotitan has some HLG-vibes in it.
Welcome to Florassic Park...my collection:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=10638.0

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: