You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Recent Acquisitions (Archive, March 2012 - July 2018)

Started by Himmapaan, March 13, 2012, 05:48:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Himmapaan

Quote from: SBell on July 18, 2012, 06:01:47 AM
I can't imagine anyone in my family ever considering, well, any of that. Ever.
Nor I.  :'(

SBell

Quote from: Himmapaan on July 18, 2012, 04:09:15 PM
Quote from: SBell on July 18, 2012, 06:01:47 AM
I can't imagine anyone in my family ever considering, well, any of that. Ever.
Nor I.  :'(

I guess part of it is that they don't really know what I am looking for, and I do. But still, in 2 days I'm pretty sure I won't be seeing anything like that.

Man, I should start playing a violin to myself or something... :o

Gwangi

My wife will on occasion buy me dinosaur paraphernalia but I actually would prefer to keep most of my family out of this particular hobby. Most of them know I collect dinosaurs but I tend to keep it on the down low as I know I would be flooded with either cheap Chinasaurs or at the very best doubles of what I already have. My wife knows what I like and what I have so she gets the free pass to buy me anything dinosaur related.

EDIT: I should note that if I thought I would receive the package above than everyone I know would be fully aware of my dinosaur collection.  :D

Blade-of-the-Moon

I setup an Amazon wishlist that I update regularly..whenever b-days or holidays come around I just send them the link and let em' pick something. :)

Gwangi

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on July 18, 2012, 07:41:55 PM
I setup an Amazon wishlist that I update regularly..whenever b-days or holidays come around I just send them the link and let em' pick something. :)

Most of my family is internet impaired unfortunately. When my wife asks me what I want for Christmas or my Birthday I always say "check my Amazon wishlist".

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Gwangi on July 18, 2012, 08:06:48 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on July 18, 2012, 07:41:55 PM

Most of my family is internet impaired unfortunately. When my wife asks me what I want for Christmas or my Birthday I always say "check my Amazon wishlist".

Yeah I know how that is..fortunately one good thing about cellphones is most are learning how to use the internet on them around here. That wishlist is a handy little thing isn't it ? lol

Gwangi

The wishlist is very handy. Without it I wouldn't even know what it is I wanted.

amargasaurus cazaui

When I suggest dinosaur related items I am wanting to various family, they go right out and get anything but, so I have come to accept if I want it, I will have to do that myself. They just do not see any validity to it all.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Gwangi

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on July 19, 2012, 12:27:27 AM
When I suggest dinosaur related items I am wanting to various family, they go right out and get anything but, so I have come to accept if I want it, I will have to do that myself. They just do not see any validity to it all.

That about sums it up for me as well.

Metallisuchus

Quote from: Gwangi on July 19, 2012, 12:28:19 AM

I just do it oldschool - handwritten wishlists. I have 'em for everything (CD's, movies, etc), and when people ask what I want, I'll give 'em the list, but for whatever reason, they seem to choose not to use the list, then complain I'm hard to buy for - go figure!

Roselaar

Scored this today:

Excellent customer service at my regular Papo address! The prices are already lower than usual, plus the nice lady at the counter willingly offered me a 50% discount on a Baby Rex! And she also offered to phone me when the Brachiosaurus arrived in August. I turned the latter offer down, since I want to be surprised, but still... awesome store!  ;D

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Metallisuchus on July 20, 2012, 07:49:03 PM

I just do it oldschool - handwritten wishlists. I have 'em for everything (CD's, movies, etc), and when people ask what I want, I'll give 'em the list, but for whatever reason, they seem to choose not to use the list, then complain I'm hard to buy for - go figure!

Maybe I can shed a little light there. Some people are REALLY lazy. I know I've seen family members claim the same of me and others when they are given lists to go by. What they mean is they can't just give cash or a gift card they actually have to go out and look for something..heck even searching around the internet is " hard " for some.  People like this in my experience don't want to get to know you or spend time with you to find out what you really like aren't people who should be giving gifts anyway. ;)  Sorry to rant a bit there.

Takama

The more i see that T-Rex the more i feel the need to buy it already

Blade-of-the-Moon

Krentz 1/40 Rex built and painted by Tommy Kollmer , he is available for commissions. :)

Metallisuchus

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on July 21, 2012, 01:43:45 AM

Maybe I can shed a little light there. Some people are REALLY lazy. I know I've seen family members claim the same of me and others when they are given lists to go by. What they mean is they can't just give cash or a gift card they actually have to go out and look for something..heck even searching around the internet is " hard " for some.  People like this in my experience don't want to get to know you or spend time with you to find out what you really like aren't people who should be giving gifts anyway. ;)  Sorry to rant a bit there.

Preach on, Brother Blade! Well put though. But really, HOW HARD could it possibly be when you have a credit card and a computer and are given a list and website!? It would take 5 minutes. Instead, they drive 15 minutes to a crappy chain store with no real selection and get you something that slightly relates to what you want, and somehow that's their version of 'the easy way'. In this day and age where technology is the new religion, you'd figure they'd love to just punch a few keys and be done with it.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Metallisuchus on July 21, 2012, 06:27:21 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on July 21, 2012, 01:43:45 AM

Preach on, Brother Blade! Well put though. But really, HOW HARD could it possibly be when you have a credit card and a computer and are given a list and website!? It would take 5 minutes. Instead, they drive 15 minutes to a crappy chain store with no real selection and get you something that slightly relates to what you want, and somehow that's their version of 'the easy way'. In this day and age where technology is the new religion, you'd figure they'd love to just punch a few keys and be done with it.

It's just that it's too much trouble from their perspective. Old dogs don't want to learn new tricks. They go to a store and want to get everyone that only slightly matters to them something and all at the same place. Like dvds. They find a title that only barely relates to you and without asking if you have it they get it at walmart and figure if you don't like it, bring it back. And that's the end of their interest in you as a person, another thinking living being. Their commitment is done and that's that.  They won't admit it and may say otherwise but that's it you know ?   What's worse is it is nice to be surprised with something cool every once in awhile..but that goes out the window after a certain age.

Metallisuchus

Yeah, you pretty much summed it up. My mom did pretty well for my birthday last week and picked up the Carnegie Mammoth & Safari Dino Discoveries T-rex hatchling, along with a Natural History Museum poster (which features a collage of dinosaurs). None of these things were on my list, but I didn't have these things either, and they're Safari/Carnegie.

Metallisuchus

EDIT: I don't know why I have to use a scroll bar to view the right side of these pics. If any of you know anything about this, please let me know.

I got a few things for my birthday last week, and also placed an order with some of the money I got. So here goes...

From www.reallygreattoys.com (highly recommended) - - - Carnegie Giganotosaurus, Safari Dino Skulls Toob, Safari Vagaceratops, and Papo Pachyrhinosaurus

Also... Safari's Sable Antelope, Postosuchus, Carnegie Cryolophosaurus, and Papo's Ankylosaurus

Some gifts from my mom - Carnegie Mammoth & Safari Dino Discoveries T-rex Hatchling (at bottom) and Natural History Museum poster

And Finga-Saurs from my girlfriend

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on July 21, 2012, 03:31:15 AM

Krentz 1/40 Rex built and painted by Tommy Kollmer , he is available for commissions. :)
The T rex or Tommy?
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on July 23, 2012, 07:45:09 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on July 21, 2012, 03:31:15 AM

The T rex or Tommy?

Why the tyrannosaur of course..he's very pricey though..takes him WEEKS to get any one piece done with those tiny arms poor fellow. ;) ;D

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: