You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Recent Acquisitions (Archive, March 2012 - July 2018)

Started by Himmapaan, March 13, 2012, 05:48:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

Quote from: Neosodon on July 17, 2017, 04:14:55 AM
Quote from: Halichoeres on July 17, 2017, 04:01:07 AM
I get mine from Minizoo. If I get a larger order it makes the shipping per item relatively reasonable (and the US post doesn't charge any customs fees). As Sean alluded to, it takes a pretty long time now for them to reach North America these days.
Don't they charge by wait? So getting a large order with any heavy figures would be very expensive. I ordered collect Metriacanthosaurus from them and even though it was very light the shipping was still more than the figure.

Sure, they charge by weight, but there's some minimum threshold (at least $10) to get even a very lightweight package across the Pacific. The order I placed recently cost about $25 AUD to ship, but contained $64 AUD worth of merchandise, including the relatively bulky Dimorphodon. That's an acceptable ratio to my mind, especially since Minizoo has pretty good base prices, at least for CollectA. It would have cost much, much more to get each item shipped individually.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

RobinGoodfellow

pako

Finally got my first proper dinosaur encyclopedia, just wish they'd be more detailed pictures, some pages are a bit plain... but overall a nice complete book !

Daspletotyrannus

I got this today. The Battat Pachycephalosaurus.  What lovely dinosaur figure it is.  I just have to get the Utahraptor and Gallimimus in non mini  now. Lol I'm not planning on getting the Diplodocus until the repaint. The figure too expensive and I like the repaint more.

Jose S.M.

It's very lovely indeed! I hope the repaints get release someday. This one, the Ouranosaurus and the Maisaura are some of my biggest collector dream at this time.

BlueKrono

More recent acquisitions to post:

What is this, Toy Major or something? Cool wrinkly detail on the hide.

Got this from a vendor in Alaska:

This Orsenigo Dimetrodon knockoff just happens to be a dead ringer for Ctenospondylus, which is a species I'd very much like to have in my menagerie. Have any others been made?

Weird Invicta Iguanodon. Not the green painted version, I'm not sure exactly what this is. Has the Invicta writing on the underside, not the Larami.

Ye old painted Invicta Plesiosaurus

Vintage SRG Dimetrodon

Tootsie Toys prehistoric mammals - a rare find:
Bison crassicornis (even includes species name)

Apparently vampiric Dinohyus (Daeodon)

Probably the beastliest beast of them all - the carnivorous Brontops. These Tootsie Toys mammals are so weird.

A quadrupedal Spinosaurus thing I picked up in a small toy shop in North Carolina.

And now onto the books:
Time Life: The World We Live In (1955), featuring the fantastic murals of Rudolph F. Zallinger. Comprised of a collection of serials put out by Life magazine, this thing is truly massive. The largest book in my library, this is coffee table material.

A foldout of the famous Age of Reptiles mural:

Zallinger's marine scene, which I could find no other images of on the internet.

And now you know why I bought this book. Not coincidentally, the first Marx dinosaur set (including the Kronosaurus) came out the same year as this book.

Life's The Land and Wildlife of North America (1964)

About halfway through the book it jumps from modern plains game back to the prehistoric days with the paintings of Jay Matternes. Absolutely stunning. Well worth the $5 I paid for this book. ;)

A neat illo of Daeodon:

I also bought a super cool boy scout badge based on this illustration, and probably not giving them royalties. Pretty large, about 5".

And leapfrogging all the way to the present day we have Turtles as Hopeful Monsters (2017). Light on illustrations and heavy on text, it gives the whole story of turtle evolution and paleontological study.

More later!
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Doug Watson

Quote from: BlueKrono on July 18, 2017, 04:44:44 AM

More later!

Nice haul overall but especially those Tootsie Prehistoric Mammals I have never seen any come up on eBay when I am looking and I have never seen any in flea markets or antique stores.

BlueKrono

Quote from: Doug Watson on July 18, 2017, 03:55:18 PM
Quote from: BlueKrono on July 18, 2017, 04:44:44 AM

More later!

Nice haul overall but especially those Tootsie Prehistoric Mammals I have never seen any come up on eBay when I am looking and I have never seen any in flea markets or antique stores.

Thanks. I only collect entelodonts, so I'll be listing the other two on eBay soon. I'll be sure to make a post here to notify any interested parties. ;)
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Roselaar

Fabulous haul! The retro art in those books looks stunning!

Halichoeres

I didn't know Rieppel had written a book, though I've read some of his papers. Does he go into the turtles-as-sauropterygians hypothesis?
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Blade-of-the-Moon

34" animated " T-Rex"  Hatching from egg.

Lanthanotus

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on July 19, 2017, 06:55:43 AM

Now that's a great contestor for the "weirdo" award :D

Nice additions everyone,... I really enjoy looking at the variety of things people add to their collections :)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Lanthanotus on July 19, 2017, 03:01:43 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on July 19, 2017, 06:55:43 AM

Now that's a great contestor for the "weirdo" award :D

Nice additions everyone,... I really enjoy looking at the variety of things people add to their collections :)

lol As it was intended I'm sure!  Part of Home Depot's new Halloween collection this year.

BlueKrono

Quote from: Halichoeres on July 19, 2017, 12:12:58 AM
I didn't know Rieppel had written a book, though I've read some of his papers. Does he go into the turtles-as-sauropterygians hypothesis?

Wish I could tell ya, but I didn't go it into that in-depth yet. I only got it last week and am currently devouring some Sylvia Plath. I gave it a skim though just to get a feel for it.

Blade-of-the-Moon

You must be this tall to enter!

"That's what I call LLLUUUUNNNCCCHHH!"

Hi everybody! My name is REX!

AcroSauroTaurus

If you're going to call him Rex, you might want to remove that third finger. ;)
I am the Dinosaur King!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: AcroSauroTaurus on July 22, 2017, 07:52:37 AM

lol  " Rex" has three fingers... ;)

BlueKrono

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on July 22, 2017, 08:58:27 AM
Quote from: AcroSauroTaurus on July 22, 2017, 07:52:37 AM

lol  " Rex" has three fingers... ;)

That kid must be a DTF member: "Where's the feathers?"

Did you build the rex skeleton yourself like the other dinosaurs?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Nah, he's part of a new line for Halloween Home Depot will carry.  I couldn't have built him for what he costs at any rate.

BlueKrono

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on July 22, 2017, 04:04:34 PM
Nah, he's part of a new line for Halloween Home Depot will carry.  I couldn't have built him for what he costs at any rate.

Makes sense. Don't know why I asked; if you had made it it would have looked a lot more realistic I'm sure. But still a fun anachronistic prop to have.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: