You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Recent Acquisitions (Archive, March 2012 - July 2018)

Started by Himmapaan, March 13, 2012, 05:48:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jose S.M.

Lots of nice figures you got Sauroid!

sauroid

"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

tyrantqueen

Cool stuff. Those mini Carnegie (?) figures are quite nicely detailed for their size.

Joey

Wow, the large AAA Styracosaurus actually looks pretty nice.
The head shape and body and even the color scheme all look nice.

Libraraptor

Quote from: Lanthanotus on November 03, 2017, 04:31:09 PM
I did not celebrate my birthday yesterday but I still got presents :D ...

.. the dinosaur related ones are a feathered dinosaur poster and a heavy tome called Paläo-Art. I got some quite big and heavy books in my collection of scientific literature, but this one is outstanding:

The book was published in March this year and is quite up to date. However, the paleo art it discusses is from like 1800 to 1990, so the most modern/recent bits are those of Ely Kish from the late 70's. Most images show horribly outdated visions of the past, but there's an impressive collection of images that you might not have seen before, not only paintings, but also murals and others (by popular artists as Burian or Knight, but also a lot of others, quite less popular ones yet not les impressive ones). I yet haven't read much for sure, but what i read also provided some information I haven't read about yet, despite being familiar with the story of Mary Anning for example. A lot of art history in there, so not a paleo book for itself, but an interesting approach to join paleontology and art history. Highly recommended.

:o :o :o

Bokisaurus

New 2018 Safarisaurus arrived :))

As well as these fascinating and Large marine reptiles! Not sure who made them, got them off eBay, but the mosasaur I think is the Recur one, right?
They are surprisingly beautifully detailed. They are large and squishy, not the solid PVC that I thought.

You can see more of these figures in the comparison thread, cheers! ^-^

BlueKrono

The marines are from that Chinese seller, correct? The Lio looked intriguing to me, but they also had a lot of knockoffs of other companies.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

PhilSauria

Both knockoffs - the top one is an enlarged version of the Collecta Liopleurodon, the other is an almost monochromatic version of the Recur Mosasaur, which is in muted browns and greens. I think the same company has also ripped off the Schleich Dunkleosteus and has a rather generic old school Plesiosaur, plus a big bright Ichthyosaur, which bootlegs one of the minis from a company whose name escapes me at the moment.

Joey

Quote from: PhilSauria on November 06, 2017, 10:08:36 PM
Both knockoffs - the top one is an enlarged version of the Collecta Liopleurodon, the other is an almost monochromatic version of the Recur Mosasaur, which is in muted browns and greens. I think the same company has also ripped off the Schleich Dunkleosteus and has a rather generic old school Plesiosaur, plus a big bright Ichthyosaur, which bootlegs one of the minis from a company whose name escapes me at the moment.
The company that escaped you, is Schleich

PhilSauria

Yes, thanks for that; Schleich it was. I did a quick post with what I could recall in relation to the items but was heading out and didn't have time to check the last one. Makes me wonder how these guys choose what they will 'pay homage' to - does their marketing dept (being generous here) look through catalogues, either in print or on line, and take a liking to what they see? Schleich does seem to be 'favoured' in this way to a high degree.

stargatedalek

To be entirely fair they don't actually bootleg the products themselves, they just steal the designs. These aren't recasts, they're new sculpts based on pre-existing ones. Still unoriginal and generally frowned upon, but a whole different field (especially legally). For example what makes their Pliosaur based on the CollectA design any worse than the Papo Tyrannosaurus based on the Jurassic Park Design?

One could even argue in some cases that changing the size and material to this extent is bordering on a new medium, which would place them squarely in fair use territory.

Bokisaurus

Quote from: stargatedalek on November 07, 2017, 03:39:11 PM
To be entirely fair they don't actually bootleg the products themselves, they just steal the designs. These aren't recasts, they're new sculpts based on pre-existing ones. Still unoriginal and generally frowned upon, but a whole different field (especially legally). For example what makes their Pliosaur based on the CollectA design any worse than the Papo Tyrannosaurus based on the Jurassic Park Design?

One could even argue in some cases that changing the size and material to this extent is bordering on a new medium, which would place them squarely in fair use territory.

I completely agree, this is not a direct knock off where they cast the figures. These are completely different sculpt and much much larger ( see them in the comparison thread) that the original figures that "inspired" them.

PhilSauria

Should we come up with a new term for these products then?, as judging by the previous comments neither bootleg or knockoff would seem to be appropriate.

Faelrin

I honestly think the term knock off is fine for things like this. Or perhaps call it an imitation. Bootleg should be reserved for direct copies of the original product, and honestly that's the term I see used more in that type of case (especially in action figure communities).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

stargatedalek

The only technical term for products like this is doujinshi, but that's typically reserved for self-published products. REBOR's JP raptors might qualify, but these and Papo wouldn't.

In English one would typically just call products of this kind fan works, though that also isn't applicable to larger companies.

sauroid

correct me if im wrong, but isnt that the original RECUR Mosasaurus?
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

RobinGoodfellow

sauroid

are these "inspired" figures by "Playful Home" all soft squishy and fiber-filled like RECUR?

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: sauroid on November 08, 2017, 11:23:20 AM
are these "inspired" figures by "Playful Home" all soft squishy and fiber-filled like RECUR?

Yes, they are.

sauroid

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on November 08, 2017, 11:41:51 AM
Quote from: sauroid on November 08, 2017, 11:23:20 AM

Yes, they are.
thanks for the info.

@TQ: they are mini versions of the Carnegie, Wild Safari and UKRD or AAA originals, and marked K on the belly

JoeytheDeinocheirus: it is actually one of my favorites

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: