You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Recent Acquisitions (Archive, March 2012 - July 2018)

Started by Himmapaan, March 13, 2012, 05:48:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon

Quote from: Patrx on February 06, 2018, 12:11:57 AM
There's something very wrong with my bookshelf...
Or, at least, there was, until I finally got my hands of a copy of this, the most influential work of the Dinosaur Renaissance! It's flat-out weird that I never owned a copy until now.

*snip*

That is a wonderful book.  I remember buying it in 1988, and being "blown away" by Bakker's theories and his drawings of muscular, lithe, active, dinosaurs.  It is the book that rekindled my childhood interest in dinosaurs ...

Katieraptor

It's a Kaiyodo allosaurus!

I have another one but I haven't photographed her yet.
What I love about Allosaurus is that it lived an extremely violent life that was rife with broken bones, cuts, scrapes, infections, sprains, and yet it just kept on truckin.

My Art

Neosodon

Quote from: Simon on February 06, 2018, 12:35:09 AM
Quote from: Patrx on February 06, 2018, 12:11:57 AM
There's something very wrong with my bookshelf...
Or, at least, there was, until I finally got my hands of a copy of this, the most influential work of the Dinosaur Renaissance! It's flat-out weird that I never owned a copy until now.

*snip*

That is a wonderful book.  I remember buying it in 1988, and being "blown away" by Bakker's theories and his drawings of muscular, lithe, active, dinosaurs.  It is the book that rekindled my childhood interest in dinosaurs ...
I knew Bakker was influential in the dinosaur renaissance but did he actually do illustrations?  I've not yet seen or noticed seeing any by him.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Patrx

Quote from: Simon on February 06, 2018, 12:35:09 AM
I can see why! These illustrations must have been something to see in their original context. I didn't encounter Renaissance-style dinosaurs until I saw Jurassic Park, which, of course, wouldn't exist at all without this book.

Quote from: Neosodon on February 06, 2018, 06:24:44 AMI knew Bakker was influential in the dinosaur renaissance but did he actually do illustrations?  I've not yet seen or noticed seeing any by him.
Sure! He actually illustrated Ostrom's original description of Deinonychus, so I'm sure you'll have seen his work before. One can sort of identify his drawings by the distinct stippling technique he uses for shading.

Quote from: Katieraptor on February 06, 2018, 06:12:47 AM
It's a Kaiyodo allosaurus!
I have another one but I haven't photographed her yet.
Nice acquisition, Katieraptor! I've always like the patterns on that particular Allosaurus. I made a small correction to your post so that the image would display properly!

Katieraptor

Oh, thank you. Was there something keeping it from displaying?
What I love about Allosaurus is that it lived an extremely violent life that was rife with broken bones, cuts, scrapes, infections, sprains, and yet it just kept on truckin.

My Art

Patrx

Quote from: Katieraptor on February 06, 2018, 04:01:01 PM
Oh, thank you. Was there something keeping it from displaying?

Just that the format notation at the end was missing, in this case ".png".  :)

Megalosaurus

Nice adquisitions everyone.

Its great your kaiyodo collection is growing Katieraptor.

I received the Favorite mini dioramas.

Sorry for the blurry picture. But you have individual shoots in my collection thread.
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4916.msg193805#msg193805
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

CityRaptor

Great stuff everyone!

As for myself: Got the currently only version of the Schleich Mini Carnotaurus. Was kinda hard to find, as most stores seem to either have old issues ( and by old, I mean a year old ) or no issues at all of that magazine.
Also got two Ixalan Boosters. Really wish there were more Dinosaurs and less junk like vampires, fishpeople and pirates in there.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Dyscrasia

I've just received some of the new Schleich dinosaurs.

Tawa

Oviraptor

Psittacosaurus (the sculpt is absolutely gorgeous!)

Bokisaurus

Ohh Myyyy, maybe because of the high gloss, but that Tawa almost looks like it's been skinned! ;D
I like the other two a lot ( I can't believe I said that ::))

IrritatorRaji

Congrats on the new figures but...

That Tawa O_e

Katieraptor

Quote from: CityRaptor on February 06, 2018, 10:54:40 PM
Great stuff everyone!

As for myself: Got the currently only version of the Schleich Mini Carnotaurus. Was kinda hard to find, as most stores seem to either have old issues ( and by old, I mean a year old ) or no issues at all of that magazine.
Also got two Ixalan Boosters. Really wish there were more Dinosaurs and less junk like vampires, fishpeople and pirates in there.

You play mtg?

My Art

CityRaptor

No, I just collect Ixalan Dinosaur cards, although given how much junk one gets with every booster instead, I might stop.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

stargatedalek

Quote from: CityRaptor on February 07, 2018, 11:35:53 PM
No, I just collect Ixalan Dinosaur cards, although given how much junk one gets with every booster instead, I might stop.
A lot of stores that sell Magic cards also sell used ones, so you can probably sell them back or at least get some value in trade for new decks.

Katieraptor

The easiest way to do it is to go to an online site that sells magic cards and buy the singles you want.

My Art

sauroid

if Schleich could make their Oviraptor with moderate sized feet, why couldnt they with the Tawa? i could accept a tripod Tawa than one with deformed huge feet. an unusual species wasted. oh well...
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Shonisaurus

Favorite 2017's miniatures are the best that this company has done. I have them since August and I can assure that apart from being practical (they occupy little space) they are very detailed. I am glad that Megalosaurus has it too. They are very nice  :D

Reptilia

Quote from: sauroid on February 08, 2018, 08:03:05 AM
if Schleich could make their Oviraptor with moderate sized feet, why couldnt they with the Tawa? i could accept a tripod Tawa than one with deformed huge feet. an unusual species wasted. oh well...

I think that this figure is getting an undeserved attention just because it is called Tawa. It has glaring anatomical flaws that are forgiven only for exclusivity sake. If Schleich had called it Coelophysis, for example, people would have ridiculed it.

Faelrin

My BotM Wetlands and Forest Environment accessory packs came today, so now I finally have all four of them. I took pics of them on my dad's bed since after dark I have little/poor light in my room, but now they are back in my room, all setup next to my bed. I'll add more pics to the BotM thread too.

Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Halichoeres

Quote from: Reptilia on February 08, 2018, 10:55:10 PM
Quote from: sauroid on February 08, 2018, 08:03:05 AM

I think that this figure is getting an undeserved attention just because it is called Tawa. It has glaring anatomical flaws that are forgiven only for exclusivity sake. If Schleich had called it Coelophysis, for example, people would have ridiculed it.

I'm definitely among those who are more forgiving when a company tries a new species out. But if the figure had been called Coelophysis, it would be worthy of a lot more ridicule because it has some Tawa-specific features that would be incorrect on a Coelophysis figure. You're certainly right that it has flaws, but it's recognizable as Tawa.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: