News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Posting images

Started by DinoToyForum, March 25, 2012, 06:36:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoToyForum

Re: Flickr, if I follow the onsite instructions to share the following random image via bbcode, I have to select the image size, and end up with text links as well:

Plesiosaur by Lebatihem, on Flickr

Not a problem per se. Maybe a good thing. Also, easy enough to edit it. But I want it to be as simple as possible - posting images with bbcode is simple when you know how, but trips up many at first. Also, if Flickr change their site, the process of sharing might change.

Maybe sharing from Flickr is simpler if you're sharing your own images? Ceratopsian, RobinGoodFellow, how do you go about it with Flickr?

Halichoeres

My experience with Flickr is that when I want to share an image from that photo's page, it requires editing in order to not have text links. However, if you share it from the "Camera Roll" page, you can just right click it (or command click it on Apple) and select "copy image address/url". This option doesn't exist when you're browsing in an album, which means if you want to share without having to edit text you instead have to remember the locations of all your photos, which is cumbersome if you have a lot. For someone just starting out, they'll have few enough images that they can do that, and by the time they have too many hopefully they've learned enough bbcode to do it the hard way.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Halichoeres on January 22, 2018, 06:00:38 PM
My experience with Flickr is that when I want to share an image from that photo's page, it requires editing in order to not have text links. However, if you share it from the "Camera Roll" page, you can just right click it (or command click it on Apple) and select "copy image address/url". This option doesn't exist when you're browsing in an album, which means if you want to share without having to edit text you instead have to remember the locations of all your photos, which is cumbersome if you have a lot. For someone just starting out, they'll have few enough images that they can do that, and by the time they have too many hopefully they've learned enough bbcode to do it the hard way.

Thanks. That'll make it difficult for me to make a nice succinct instructional video using Flickr. :P

RobinGoodfellow

Usually I select a picture from my albums, click the "share" button (it's a right arrow really), select the picture's size and then I use the 2' option (embed).
Then I copy the text/link beginning with "https://farm   etc etc   .jpg" and use it on DTF.
The Flickr link doesn't change through time (I'm using Flickr from 2015 and ALL my collection thread is complete with no missing pictures).
:)

DinoToyForum

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on January 22, 2018, 06:03:31 PM

Usually I select a picture from my albums, click the "share" button (it's a right arrow really), select the picture's size and then I use the 2' option (embed).
Then I copy the text/link beginning with "https://farm   etc etc   .jpg" and use it on DTF.
The Flickr link doesn't change through time (I'm using Flickr from 2015 and ALL my collection thread is complete with no missing pictures).
:)

Thanks! So you tinker just a little bit. :)

ceratopsian

I don't keep all my photos on Flickr as a matter of course.  So I upload the photos I intend to post onto the DTF.  This is very easy, as you can either "drop and drag" or select from their file on the computer.  The crucial step here that foxed me a couple of times is that merely selecting the photos doesn't complete the process - you must take the next step of "Upload [number] photos", which appears in the top right corner of the screen.   I make sure the setting is "public". 

I allocate them into an album if I'm being organised.  I name them or anything else I want to add as text. 

Then I click on the photo to view it full size.  Next I click  on the "Download this photo" icon in the bottom right corner.  I select "View all sizes" option.  Then from the sundry sizes that appear, I select "Medium 640", as that looks good on the DTF.  Then I right-click on the re-sized image and click on "Copy image address" (in Chrome - it's a slightly different wording in IE but pretty obvious).  Then I copy it into the correct place in my post (using the Control+V shortcut or the right-click menu Copy).

I don't pick up any text descriptions as others have described in earlier posts.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: ceratopsian on January 22, 2018, 06:32:20 PM
I don't keep all my photos on Flickr as a matter of course.  So I upload the photos I intend to post onto the DTF.  This is very easy, as you can either "drop and drag" or select from their file on the computer.  The crucial step here that foxed me a couple of times is that merely selecting the photos doesn't complete the process - you must take the next step of "Upload [number] photos", which appears in the top right corner of the screen.   I make sure the setting is "public". 

I allocate them into an album if I'm being organised.  I name them or anything else I want to add as text. 

Then I click on the photo to view it full size.  Next I click  on the "Download this photo" icon in the bottom right corner.  I select "View all sizes" option.  Then from the sundry sizes that appear, I select "Medium 640", as that looks good on the DTF.  Then I right-click on the re-sized image and click on "Copy image address" (in Chrome - it's a slightly different wording in IE but pretty obvious).  Then I copy it into the correct place in my post (using the Control+V shortcut or the right-click menu Copy).

I don't pick up any text descriptions as others have described in earlier posts.

Gotcha! So, that's where the jpgs live. It is a little counterintuitive that they are accessed via the "download" button.

Thanks both for your help. You and RobinGoodfellow use rather different methods, but the end result is the same. :) I reckon I can create a new instructional video to demonstrate both methods.

ceratopsian

Quote from: dinotoyforum on January 22, 2018, 06:50:08 PM

........Thanks both for your help.......

You are welcome. I managed to find Flickr's instructions for this procedure very quickly when I decided to try using Flickr, so I can't claim to have cracked it through native brilliance!

tyrantqueen

Quoteto be fair, i only see about 2 or 3 small (unobtrusive) ads and i never get pop-ups.

I don't get any pop ups or ads on PI. I'm using ad block and Mozilla Firefox, as I as have always done...

I have a Google photos account as backup, but I'm reticent to rely on any one source, especially not Google. I do have a flickr but almost never use it, it's so clunky.

Takama

Lanthanotus

Reptilia

Does anyone know what happened with Google images lately? If you click on an image in the search you don't have anymore the option to visualize the direct link, so I don't know how to link pictures here anymore. Unless I save the picture and reupload it to Postimage.

stegosauria

Testing I am doing it right from Facebook

DinoToyForum

Nope. Your image url needs to end in .jpg (or equivalent image file name), it currently doesn't. You must be linking to a page rather than an image. Let me know if you need help.

IrritatorRaji

Quote from: stegosauria on April 08, 2018, 11:50:57 PM

Facebook images don't tend to have the file type at the end (that's essential for posting the image), like, you'll usually see a .jpg, .png, .gif or whatever. In most cases, you can fix this issue by just slapping a file type at the end of the image URL, but that doesn't tend to work for FB photos.
If you want to post an image from FB, it'd probably be best if you saved the image, uploaded it to a hosting site (e.g. Imgur, which you don't need an account to use) and copy+pasting the Imgur image URL.

stegosauria

Quote from: IrritatorRaji on April 09, 2018, 12:20:01 AM
Quote from: stegosauria on April 08, 2018, 11:50:57 PM

Facebook images don't tend to have the file type at the end (that's essential for posting the image), like, you'll usually see a .jpg, .png, .gif or whatever. In most cases, you can fix this issue by just slapping a file type at the end of the image URL, but that doesn't tend to work for FB photos.
If you want to post an image from FB, it'd probably be best if you saved the image, uploaded it to a hosting site (e.g. Imgur, which you don't need an account to use) and copy+pasting the Imgur image URL.

And the picture won't dissappear from that site after a while? In Hungary there are similar filesharing sites and you can download the file for a week or a little more. Or this Imgur is more permanent dispite you don't need to create an account?

Otherwise thanks for the advice, just really never shared my photos or uploaded them anywhere (I even rarely take pictures) but I'd like to show my new acquisitions.

RobinGoodfellow

I'm using Flickr.
You can create a free account on Flickr and you'll have 1TB to download and storage your pictures without time restrictions.
If you need more space or professional options, you can switch to a Pro Account paying a fee.
I think that's the same for Imgur or Postimage etc etc..

Please, don't post pictures with time limitations... missing pictures on DTF are quite annoying... thank you  ^-^

stegosauria

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on April 09, 2018, 08:17:12 AM

Please, don't post pictures with time limitations... missing pictures on DTF are quite annoying... thank you  ^-^

I didn't intend to do that because I find the missing pictures annoying too (see the comments but don't see what they comment on)- this is why I asked. It's bad that this doesn't work from Facebook.

Thanks for the advices!

IrritatorRaji

Quote from: stegosauria on April 09, 2018, 01:03:35 AM
And the picture won't dissappear from that site after a while? In Hungary there are similar filesharing sites and you can download the file for a week or a little more. Or this Imgur is more permanent dispite you don't need to create an account?

Otherwise thanks for the advice, just really never shared my photos or uploaded them anywhere (I even rarely take pictures) but I'd like to show my new acquisitions.

Nope, it'll stay up forever :)

Alternatively, if you'd want some piece of mind, you can create an account with Facebook.

BrontoScorpio

Did anyone hear anything about Postimages site ?
It seems all my pictures on DTF are gone ...
are we facing a 2nd 'photobucket' extinction ?
( I suggest people to empty their browser CACHE in order to notice it ).

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: