News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Schleich - new for 2014

Started by SommoDracorex, November 08, 2013, 10:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sauroid

maybe Schleich believes that making feathered dinos wont make them sell well because the general public's perception of dinosaurs is that they were scaly/reptilian and that would alienate the mainstream market. how sad.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

tyrantqueen

They're probably just going for what sells. Jurassic Park = cash cow :-\

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: tyrantqueen on January 04, 2014, 07:14:44 AM

Agreed.

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 04, 2014, 07:40:28 AM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on January 04, 2014, 07:14:44 AM

Agreed.
And hey- it's working for them. Even more  :-\
"I believe implicitly that every young man in the world is fascinated with either sharks or dinosaurs."
-Peter Benchley

Hellraptor

Quote from: sauroid on January 04, 2014, 05:25:23 AM
maybe Schleich believes that making feathered dinos wont make them sell well because the general public's perception of dinosaurs are scaly/reptilian and that would alienate the mainstream market. how sad.
I agree on that, they are not stupid since they wanna make Money and they know what sells. Exept their dinosaurs look horrible and its a wonder that they havent been overthrown by Papo and safari yet.
Taking dinosaurs of this islandis the worst idea in the long, sad story of bad ideas

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Hellraptor on January 04, 2014, 11:20:58 AM
Quote from: sauroid on January 04, 2014, 05:25:23 AM
maybe Schleich believes that making feathered dinos wont make them sell well because the general public's perception of dinosaurs are scaly/reptilian and that would alienate the mainstream market. how sad.
I agree on that, they are not stupid since they wanna make Money and they know what sells. Exept their dinosaurs look horrible and its a wonder that they havent been overthrown by Papo and safari yet.

My guess is their marketing and distribution deals are top notch. You can have the best product on earth but if no one knows about it your sunk.

Hellraptor

My guess is their marketing and distribution deals are top notch. You can have the best product on earth but if no one knows about it your sunk.
[/quote] Well thats true, anyways i think Schelich has to improve a lot to catch up with Papo and Safari.
Taking dinosaurs of this islandis the worst idea in the long, sad story of bad ideas

tyrantqueen

I'm pretty sure Schleich are a very successful company. They have a big presence in most toy stores. They also have a policy where they like to buy out smaller, more collector orientated companies to eliminate competition.

Yutyrannus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on January 04, 2014, 08:54:20 PM
I'm pretty sure Schleich are a very successful company. They have a big presence in most toy stores. They also have a policy where they like to buy out smaller, more collector orientated companies to eliminate competition.
If they buy out Papo I'm going to be furious!

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

Quote from: Yutyrannus on January 04, 2014, 10:46:45 PM
That's ridiculous. That would never happen.
Papo is too popular of a company.
"I believe implicitly that every young man in the world is fascinated with either sharks or dinosaurs."
-Peter Benchley

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus on January 04, 2014, 10:57:28 PM
I certainly hope so.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Gwangi

And I'm sure ten years ago no one would have predicted that Disney would own the rights to "Star Wars".  ;)

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Gwangi on January 04, 2014, 11:12:42 PM

And I'm sure ten years ago no one would have predicted that Disney would own the rights to "Star Wars".  ;)
If Schleich were to buy out Papo (which I don't think will happen) then there's next to nothing we could do about it. So, there's no point worrying about it, and just enjoy Papo's toys while you can >:D

SBell

Quote from: tyrantqueen on January 04, 2014, 11:19:16 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on January 04, 2014, 11:12:42 PM

If Schleich were to buy out Papo (which I don't think will happen) then there's next to nothing we could do about it. So, there's no point worrying about it, and just enjoy Papo's toys while you can >:D

It's important to keep in mind that Schleich is not an independent company anymore--it is a subsidiary of a larger German manufacturing concern (it was purchased in about 2005). Which coincides with when Schleich began to be a company not worth worrying about as much (but suddenly saw enormous market share gains).

So, if the powers-that-be recognize that a competitor is out there that might encroach on their market, but is small enough to be purchased, they will do it. Papo might be just at the edge of the price (remember Noah's Pals? That was the size of company Schleich liked to take out). Of course, it also depends on the company being willing to sell out, since these aren't always publicly traded companies. Given that Mojo recently got on board with Animal Planet, I would be more wary of how that will play out; that's a big name line for Mojo to be associated with and has the potential to push non AP figures out of TRU and similar shops (where Schleich has enjoyed quite a bit of exposure).

tyrantqueen

Wasn't it mentioned a while back that Schleich tried to hire Papo's sculptor, or something to that effect?

Hellraptor

[/quote] Thats true, they might suck at doin dinosaurs but they are widespread and will surely stay that way.

Turret

A heads up. Schleich has updated their site with the 2014 releases. All the dinosaurs will be released in may.
In related news both the Therizinosaurus and "velociraptor" apparently have articulated arms and jaw ... if anyone was interested in that detail

Takama

also the new Rex is referred to as a Walking T-Rex.

Turret

So it is. I think we can assume where they got the idea for that name from. Funny thing is it doesent look like its walking.

Everything_Dinosaur

Everything Dinosaur team members had a meeting with Schleich senior management a few hours ago.  We are posting up the pictures we took of the prototypes for the new Schleich prehistoric animals that are due to be launched this year.  Schleich globally remain committed to working with the major multiples in terms of managing their distribution.  Primarily, Schleich are positioning their ranges into the toy market, but Everything Dinosaur team members have been lobbying them to make certain changes to the intended models.  The pictures we are going to post up are the prototypes, there may well be some further revisions.  The stylised raptor (we can now confirm that this model will be marketed as a Velociraptor), in the photographs we are posting has not been produced in the standard production plastic grade but hopefully the pics will give you an idea of the models general appearance and also reflect some of the changes made.

All four models will be posted up in the "World of History" models range, one of the ideas behind the stylised raptor figure was to have it replace the smaller Velociraptor in the company's "dinosaurs" model series, this we understand is now not the case.  In addition, the new lighter coloured T. rex is not a replacement for the 2012 "World of History" T. rex it will be sold alongside it.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: