You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Patrx's Collection (Fauna Prehistorica)

Started by Patrx, April 04, 2012, 12:48:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrx

Quote from: Libraraptor on January 13, 2021, 07:28:37 PM
Yeah, museum style, top notch display!
Thanks!

Quote from: Halichoeres on January 15, 2021, 10:13:23 PM
That's a really nice setup. Are the special few on their own shelves on the right permanent occupants of those positions, or do they rotate in the place of honor?

Thank you! The tower on the right is new, so I'm not really sure what to put there; I've been cycling a few things to see what "works". There will assuredly be at least one Triceratops there, however!

A brief update! Just got this in, and a few more are on the way.

Tuojiangosaurus multispinus
("Multi-spined reptile of the Tuo river")
By the Peking Natural Science-art Organization

A really striking and hefty piece, this. The details are unsurprisingly sharp (the spikes quite literally so) and the paint is reasonably complex relative to the cost. I might have hoped for something other than a green body with reddish plates, however!

Stegotyranno420

Just to add on the museum feeling of your collection, Fauna Prehistorica sounds super professional and realistic for a actual museum  :)

Shonisaurus

Nice photographs and nice acquisition the PNSO tuojiangosaurus is one of my favorite figures in this collection. I congratulate you on your new figure!

Halichoeres

Sorry, all stegosaurs are greenish with reddish plates, it's the law! I like this figure. It isn't perfect, but it's great to have this genus done well in a format other than a tiny miniature.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Gothmog the Baryonyx

I wish it was the Tuojiangosaurus not the Miragaia that was the best Stegosaur figure, but it is still a beautiful figure and it looks lovely in your collection
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Stegotyranno420

I'm gonna be honest I like the classic green and red depiction. Great stegosaurs figure. I hope we get a good Dacentrurus figure.

Patrx

Quote from: Stegotyranno on January 16, 2021, 02:51:44 AM
Just to add on the museum feeling of your collection, Fauna Prehistorica sounds super professional and realistic for a actual museum
Hah, thanks. I've actually been wondering lately if it's a little much  ;D

Quote from: Halichoeres on January 16, 2021, 11:30:22 PM
Sorry, all stegosaurs are greenish with reddish plates, it's the law! I like this figure. It isn't perfect, but it's great to have this genus done well in a format other than a tiny miniature.
Quote from: Stegotyranno on January 16, 2021, 11:48:43 PM
I'm gonna be honest I like the classic green and red depiction. Great stegosaurs figure. I hope we get a good Dacentrurus figure.
The Battat Dacentrurus is quite good, maybe kinda tricky to find these days. I actually did repaint mine ... to be green with red plates!

Quote from: Shonisaurus on January 16, 2021, 10:39:19 PM
Nice photographs and nice acquisition the PNSO tuojiangosaurus is one of my favorite figures in this collection. I congratulate you on your new figure!
Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on January 16, 2021, 11:36:11 PM
I wish it was the Tuojiangosaurus not the Miragaia that was the best Stegosaur figure, but it is still a beautiful figure and it looks lovely in your collection
Both the Tuojiangosaurus and the Miragaia are lovely, if imperfect. My Miragaia is still in transit but should be added here soon!

Borealopelta markmitchelli
("Mark Mitchell's northern shield")
By the Peking Natural Science-art-Organization
Really glad to finally have a figure of this taxon in my collection! I nearly bought the CollectA version on multiple occasions but elected to wait and see if another option appeared.

Atopopendatus unicus
("unique, strange-toothed")
By the Peking Natural Science-art-Organization
This one's just great, I love the coloration and the turtle-like details on the limbs. It seems like it can be tricky for sculptors to hold back with regard to skin details sometimes, in situations like this where rough skin wouldn't really fit — putting that extra detail in the ends of the limbs is a suitable choice.

Protoceratops andrewsi
("Andrews' first horned-face")
By Matthias Geiger for CollectA
Protoceratops is a favorite dinosaur of mine, so I've been looking for a nice, large-scale figure like this. Mostly, I like it, but the musculature on the hindlimbs looks underdeveloped, the orientation of the hands seems a little off, and while the jaw assembly could be worse, I just don't like articulation very much.

Shonisaurus

I congratulate you on your acquisitions, the PNSO borealopelta is one of my favorites and favorites by PNSO this year. The atopodentatus is the size I always wanted for that strange marine reptile. When it comes to protoceratops, I am glad that Collecta made it to a decent size, by my standards of size and beauty.

ceratopsian

A pleasure to see your excellent photos. I opened up my own Borealopelta today and was impressed with it. You have captured very well the rich dark reddish brown of its back that was so washed out on the publicity shots. It reminds me of chestnuts.

Concavenator

avatar_Patrx @Patrx It's always a pleasure to watch this thread, as I've said before, this thread is my favorite collection thread. Your photos are just delightful.

Also I got the Safari Deinonychus this month and it's easily one of my favorite figures in my collection, I'm in love. I have been waiting for an up to date and good figure of this dinosaur since I was very little. The wait has been long, but it was worth it. I thought the day I would have such a figure in my collection would never come!

Bokisaurus

Wonderful additions and the display looks fabulous 😃

Halichoeres

I completely agree, the texture on the Atopodentatus is great. PNSO sometimes goes overboard in this respect (Opthalmosaurus, megalodon), so it was nice to see them use it so judiciously this time.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Patrx

New Safari theropods! I like both of these. In both cases, the sculpts and paint work nicely, I even like the scale details — despite being not-quite to scale (at least in Daspletosaurus' case), they're very subtle. Like many of Doug Watson's works, these really shine in-hand. Also notable, the claws on both of these are actually quite sharp compared to most other Safari figures.

The EoFauna Triceratops sp. is quite stunning. I particularly love the bold patterns on the frill, and the way the soft tissue of the jaws is reconstructed is unique, at least, in my collection. Always nice to have an excuse to pick up another Triceratops, really.

Wow, Miragaia really got an overhaul, and PNSO's figure here has captured it admirably. The bold orange of the plates and spikes almost gives the impression that this beautiful beast had a toxic sting!

Concavenator

Congrats on the new acquisitions, avatar_Patrx @Patrx ,and really great pictures as always.

Yes, the Eofauna Triceratops is wonderful. I recently got it as well and it's outstanding. I ended up getting the Cryptic version because I was reccomended that version and it's a stunner.

I have also seen your display and I really like it. Again, I would like to ask you, how often do you clean the dust off your figures? Or do you have a reccomended way of cleaning them? I'm asking because I can't have my collection inside a cabinet (I wish I could), but I would like to do my best to keep my collection clean and my figures protected.

Kapitaenosavrvs

Congrats on the new Figures. Can't wait, until the Daspletosaurus is available in Germany. We "just" have the Baryonyx at the Moment. I really love the blue eye, which creates a very birdlike appearance to me.
Lovely EoFauna Trike aswell. I have the Dominat and am more than pleased. But i guess everyone that bought it knew that even before it was announced :-D

Patrx

Quote from: Concavenator on April 25, 2021, 12:13:34 AM
I have also seen your display and I really like it. Again, I would like to ask you, how often do you clean the dust off your figures? Or do you have a reccomended way of cleaning them? I'm asking because I can't have my collection inside a cabinet (I wish I could), but I would like to do my best to keep my collection clean and my figures protected.

Thanks! Yeah, keeping them clean can be a hassle. I generally only dust them every few months, since I don't really have a good way to do it without taking everything off the shelves. For supplies, I tend to use dry microfiber cloths, they're very soft and the static charge pulls the dust off the figures pretty cleanly. On the shelves, once they're empty, I usually use a small amount of a household surface cleaner, but on figures, I don't generally feel safe using any kind of solvent. I do keep a can of air duster around for touch-ups in between, but that only really works on heavier models or statues, since it can knock over or push around anything lightweight. Oh, and it helps to snap some photos of the display beforehand, so you can remember how everything was set up!

Another thing I've taken note of, a glass or acrylic case can filter a some UV light, but with open displays like these it's best to keep them facing away from windows - even through a window, sunlight can wash out the color of your figures before long.

Quote from: Kapitaenosavrvs on April 25, 2021, 12:22:14 AM
Congrats on the new Figures. Can't wait, until the Daspletosaurus is available in Germany. We "just" have the Baryonyx at the Moment. I really love the blue eye, which creates a very birdlike appearance to me.
Absolutely, I feel the same about the blue eyes.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Concavenator

Quote from: Patrx on April 25, 2021, 01:06:07 AM
Thanks! Yeah, keeping them clean can be a hassle. I generally only dust them every few months, since I don't really have a good way to do it without taking everything off the shelves. For supplies, I tend to use dry microfiber cloths, they're very soft and the static charge pulls the dust off the figures pretty cleanly. On the shelves, once they're empty, I usually use a small amount of a household surface cleaner, but on figures, I don't generally feel safe using any kind of solvent. I do keep a can of air duster around for touch-ups in between, but that only really works on heavier models or statues, since it can knock over or push around anything lightweight. Oh, and it helps to snap some photos of the display beforehand, so you can remember how everything was set up!

Another thing I've taken note of, a glass or acrylic case can filter a some UV light, but with open displays like these it's best to keep them facing away from windows - even through a window, sunlight can wash out the color of your figures before long.

Thanks for the insight!  :) Pretty sensible advice there. In my case, I recently reorganized my collection in order to keep the figures on the shelves that are more protected from the natural light. And I agree regarding taking pics of how everything is set up - that's crucial!  :))

Halichoeres

Glad to see this thread back in action! I enjoy your very crisp photos.

Leyster

As always, great figures and amazing photos!
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: