News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

fabricious' shapeways models

Started by fabricious, June 08, 2014, 05:44:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fabricious

A general question to all those who read in this thread: what groups of dinosaurs would you like to see more shapeways models of? I pretty much want to do some more models next to studying and since this forum is my main motivation to make them available as 3D-prints, I'd like to know what has been missing so far.

DinoLord

I've already said what I'd enjoy seeing.  ;)  In particular, if you ever sculpt a set of models after the Barosaurus and Allosaurus mount at AMNH I'd buy it in a heartbeat

Patrx

I know I give this sort of response a lot - but small dinosaurs in larger scales are disappointingly uncommon, so I'd like to see more like that. Hypsolophidonts, small theropods like Coelophysis, dromaeosaurs, Eoraptor. All of these are really interesting animals in my opinion, but models of them, if they're made at all, tend to be really small. Also, anything with feathers or fuzz  ^-^

By the way, great work on the Pachyrhinosaurus! I like all those neat scale details. If I didn't already have so many figures of the animal, and so little money, I'd gladly volunteer to order a test print.

fabricious

Thank you for the input, guys! The Barosaurus and Allosaurus mount surely is amazing, though I fear that even in 1/72 the big gun might burst the required maximum size for shapeways (if I can figure a way out to surpass this issue, damn! I'd go for it!)

I'll have a peak at some smaller dinosaurs as well, haven't thought about that yet. Although for now I'd like to start with a few 1/72 scale models, to have a sort of 'line' going.

DinoLord

Quote from: fabricious on October 01, 2014, 07:13:59 PM
...though I fear that even in 1/72 the big gun might burst the required maximum size for shapeways (if I can figure a way out to surpass this issue, damn! I'd go for it!)

Maybe have it as a piece-together thing? I recall seeing a 1/20 Amargasaurus on Shapeways that consists of several pieces that are intended to be pieced together. Though if you ended up doing that piece as a larger resin kit I wouldn't mind that at all..  ;)

Concavenator

You should do 'the new Spinosaurus'.That'd be awesome.

fabricious

Quote from: Concavenator on October 02, 2014, 05:33:48 PM
You should do 'the new Spinosaurus'.That'd be awesome.

I was considering that as well, but I was kind of weary, since there is still so much discussion going on about it. But who knows, maybe I'll still do it anyway. ;)

fabricious

The Spinosaurus-idea got me excited, but instead of just jumping into a new model just like that, I simply started doing a new pose for the Pachyrhinosaurus. This male is sort of bending sideways and showing off his 'weapon' (aka beak and nose) to avoid another male that's sizing him up. I am always fascinated with calming signals and gestures in dogs and wolves (one of my main interests) and I like watching other animals and their distinctive behaviour. So with this; why not show some intra-specific interaction? :)

Hynerpeton

Walking With Monsers:
[about Lystrosaurus] Astonishingly, their vast herds make up more than half of all life on Earth. Never again will a single species do so well.

Walking With Monsters: (Hynerpeton) To avoid injury the males demonstrate their strength  in a strange  push up contest.

fabricious

Thanks! Although it seems I have made it more of a 'bellowing' pose than an evading one, hehe. Posing really is a lot of fun!

fabricious

Tilted and twisted it some more. I really (REALLY) like this angle! Looks very dynamic and really captures the movement to the left side (of the viewer) I wanted to go for.

fabricious

Oh dear... due to a known error that can occur with zbrush (which I, sadly, only just learned about the hard way), the highest polygon level of this new pose just got lost. Now I have just the 'low polygon' version (which still has a lot of information in it) left. It won't make a difference for shapeways, since the printed model will be small enough not to notice the difference in detail, but it just bugs me a lot (mainly, since I didn't do anything wrong and the program just had a slight... issue). Oh well. No big 3D-printing of this pose, then. *sighs*

DinoLord

This one came out great - probably one of my favorite Pachyrhinosaurus depictions out there (and I am not a huge fan of this genus). Too bad about the detail though - this would've been nice in a larger scale.

Also if you do Spinosaurus, I would suggest waiting for the monograph to be published - though there has been a lot of discussion on the genus so far I'm sure there's new info in the monograph. Though with digital sculpts I guess it is not as hard to go back and adjust things as it is with physical ones...  ???

Gorgonzola

Quote from: fabricious on October 02, 2014, 09:44:35 PM
Oh dear... due to a known error that can occur with zbrush (which I, sadly, only just learned about the hard way), the highest polygon level of this new pose just got lost. Now I have just the 'low polygon' version (which still has a lot of information in it) left. It won't make a difference for shapeways, since the printed model will be small enough not to notice the difference in detail, but it just bugs me a lot (mainly, since I didn't do anything wrong and the program just had a slight... issue). Oh well. No big 3D-printing of this pose, then. *sighs*

Your using transpose master, correct?

You should still have your original ZTL somewhere, probably where you last saved it, unless you saved over it.

I've run into this problem a bunch of times, and yeah, it's a HUUUUUUGE pain in the butt. I've been trying to figure out what triggers it exactly, but no luck so far. It's practically plagued me on every model I've posed (with maybe the exception of the T. rex? I don't recall running into the issue with him...)  Just make sure to use layers when you pose so you can store multiple ones to one model, and save before you do anything new.

And if you only have the low poly version then this can be encouragement to come back down the road and try this one again when your skills have dramatically improved! I've started to do that with one or two models.

fabricious

Quote from: Gorgonzola on October 03, 2014, 04:08:49 AM
Your using transpose master, correct?

You should still have your original ZTL somewhere, probably where you last saved it, unless you saved over it.

I've run into this problem a bunch of times, and yeah, it's a HUUUUUUGE pain in the butt. I've been trying to figure out what triggers it exactly, but no luck so far. It's practically plagued me on every model I've posed (with maybe the exception of the T. rex? I don't recall running into the issue with him...)  Just make sure to use layers when you pose so you can store multiple ones to one model, and save before you do anything new.

And if you only have the low poly version then this can be encouragement to come back down the road and try this one again when your skills have dramatically improved! I've started to do that with one or two models.

Yes, I'm using Transpose Master. The original ZTool is still there, I saved that one about twenty times, luckily. I'll really focus on layers next time I do something like that, haha.

Coming back and reposing is a good idea. I'll definitely do that some time in the future.

fabricious

Quote from: DinoLord on October 03, 2014, 12:07:55 AM
This one came out great - probably one of my favorite Pachyrhinosaurus depictions out there (and I am not a huge fan of this genus). Too bad about the detail though - this would've been nice in a larger scale.

Also if you do Spinosaurus, I would suggest waiting for the monograph to be published - though there has been a lot of discussion on the genus so far I'm sure there's new info in the monograph. Though with digital sculpts I guess it is not as hard to go back and adjust things as it is with physical ones...  ???

It's true, getting back in there and changing the proportions is fairly easy. But thinking about Spinosaurus just gave me a much better idea to start with. :D I could close in on that project by starting to make a couple of potential prey animals for the big guy. There are probably a ton of Onchopristis models out there, but there's several other animals that might have been delicious, haha.

Tyto_Theropod

You are very talented! I would never be able to do anything like this! Also, I'll try and think up some poses for you when I'm more a awake than I am now... I'd buy anything with that Pachy, he's awesome :)
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

fabricious

Quote from: Tyto_Theropod on October 03, 2014, 07:33:01 PM
You are very talented! I would never be able to do anything like this! Also, I'll try and think up some poses for you when I'm more a awake than I am now... I'd buy anything with that Pachy, he's awesome :)

Thanks for the kind words! I'll put the second pose up onto shapeways today, most likely. Others to follow!

fabricious

Hey guys, just to let you know: I made the first Pachyrhinosaurus pose available for the public, but it still has not been tried out. If you'd like me to add other materials for this model, please let me know. Also, please give me a quick review once you receive a print, so that I know if anything needs changes.

https://www.shapeways.com/designer/fabricious

Toodles~

Hynerpeton

Quote from: fabricious on October 05, 2014, 07:29:06 PM
Hey guys, just to let you know: I made the first Pachyrhinosaurus pose available for the public, but it still has not been tried out. If you'd like me to add other materials for this model, please let me know. Also, please give me a quick review once you receive a print, so that I know if anything needs changes.

https://www.shapeways.com/designer/fabricious

Toodles~

Very nice. If i order i will get a figure right? Still unsure on shape ways.
Walking With Monsers:
[about Lystrosaurus] Astonishingly, their vast herds make up more than half of all life on Earth. Never again will a single species do so well.

Walking With Monsters: (Hynerpeton) To avoid injury the males demonstrate their strength  in a strange  push up contest.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: