News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

fabricious' shapeways models

Started by fabricious, June 08, 2014, 05:44:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fabricious

Yes, obviously, you'll get a 3D-printed figure in 1/72 scale in the material you chose.

tyrantqueen

I'd like to help with the testing but I don't order stuff in small scales anymore :) If you have anything made in 1/20, or smaller species in larger scales, I would be happy to help with that.

fabricious

After a bit of thinking and browsing through various dinosaur genera, I came to the conclusion that I shouldn't start with too many dinosaurs that have no relation to one another. So I started with another possible neighbor of Pachyrhinosaurus canadensis, you are free to guess. ;)

Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 05, 2014, 08:35:35 PM
I'd like to help with the testing but I don't order stuff in small scales anymore :) If you have anything made in 1/20, or smaller species in larger scales, I would be happy to help with that.

Thanks for the offer, TQ! I'll let you know once I do, since I really want to get into 1/20 models with this process. If 1/72 works out, I'll crank it up to 1/40 for the time being.

Hynerpeton

Quote from: fabricious on October 05, 2014, 08:11:25 PM
Yes, obviously, you'll get a 3D-printed figure in 1/72 scale in the material you chose.

Thank you. If you have any left in nov. i will get one and that other Dino i saw on the site.
Walking With Monsers:
[about Lystrosaurus] Astonishingly, their vast herds make up more than half of all life on Earth. Never again will a single species do so well.

Walking With Monsters: (Hynerpeton) To avoid injury the males demonstrate their strength  in a strange  push up contest.

Concavenator

Quote from: fabricious on October 05, 2014, 08:38:30 PM
After a bit of thinking and browsing through various dinosaur genera, I came to the conclusion that I shouldn't start with too many dinosaurs that have no relation to one another. So I started with another possible neighbor of Pachyrhinosaurus canadensis, you are free to guess. ;)

Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 05, 2014, 08:35:35 PM

Thanks for the offer, TQ! I'll let you know once I do, since I really want to get into 1/20 models with this process. If 1/72 works out, I'll crank it up to 1/40 for the time being.
Gorgosaurus

fabricious

Quote from: predino on October 05, 2014, 08:38:57 PM
Quote from: fabricious on October 05, 2014, 08:11:25 PM

Thank you. If you have any left in nov. i will get one and that other Dino i saw on the site.

That's great! Although it won't depend on me having any available as much as the site still printing, haha. Every order will be individually printed.

fabricious

Concavenator

fabricious

Nope, Albertosaurus, since I kind of wanted to do a scene with the two for quite a while. But thanks for reminding me of Nanuqsaurus, might just add that one to the pile!

fabricious

Another step, but from now on, I will be working on it until I can show the finished sculpture. So I don't spam you guys with every single step I take.

stargatedalek

looks good so far

do you plan on feathering it, and if so how extensively?

Concavenator

Quote from: stargatedalek on October 06, 2014, 01:09:40 AM
looks good so far

do you plan on feathering it, and if so how extensively?
Agreed,you should give it feathers,fabricious  :)

fabricious

I am planning to give him feathers, aye. ;) Although not a whole body suit. I'll most likely give him a slightly 'furry' top that's turning to scales on the bottom and tail. I really liked the design of the T. rex for The Stomping Land, so something along those lines would be nice.

Gorgonzola

It's still in its rough state, but just as a heads up as you start to refine it more - watch your skull shape, especially the front of the skull.  It looks a bit chunky, and those things, especially for therapods, and deceptively slim. You're probably aware of this, I just want to point it out before you get too far down the road.
IG: @asidesart
Portfolio: asidesart.com
Patreon (Mostly non-dinosaur stuff and illustration): patreon.com/asidesart

fabricious

Thanks for the thought, Andrew. I spent quite a while yesterday, trying to find a top view for Albertosaurus for exactly that reason, since I know that Tyrannosaurus was an extreme form for the head shape and that smaller tyrannosaurids had narrower snouts as well as narrower backsides of the head. I'll give it some more research time today, maybe I can find top views for other species, like Gorgosaurus or Daspletosaurus.

Gorgonzola

Quote from: fabricious on October 06, 2014, 05:51:31 PM
Thanks for the thought, Andrew. I spent quite a while yesterday, trying to find a top view for Albertosaurus for exactly that reason, since I know that Tyrannosaurus was an extreme form for the head shape and that smaller tyrannosaurids had narrower snouts as well as narrower backsides of the head. I'll give it some more research time today, maybe I can find top views for other species, like Gorgosaurus or Daspletosaurus.

From what I've seen of a few therapod skulls, that's the general norm - narrow front with a more bulked up back to accommodate jaw muscles, with T. rex being an extreme. If you can even get a decent front view of Albertosaurus you can get an idea of how the proportions work.  Can't wait to see more progress!
IG: @asidesart
Portfolio: asidesart.com
Patreon (Mostly non-dinosaur stuff and illustration): patreon.com/asidesart

Yutyrannus

Quote from: fabricious on October 06, 2014, 05:51:31 PM

There you are, Daspletosaurus. I don't know of any pictures like this for Albertosaurus itself though.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

fabricious

Thanks Yutyrannus, found that one yesterday as well, next to a couple of top and front views of Gorgosaurus (which should be my best bet, since they're so closely related). Can't wait to continue working on this one!

fabricious

Snout has been made thinner and the whole animal has gotten a bit more slender. The illium I put together a bit more, so that I get more of this typical tyrannosaurid hip width. And now for muscles...

Concavenator

I'd  give it a full plumage,wings included.I'm tired of seeing tyrannosaurid reconstructions with only a feathered top  :-\

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: