You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Re-issue of Battat former Museum of Science Boston Series

Started by loru1588, August 21, 2014, 05:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deanm

I was in Maryland earlier this week and I visited a Target store.  They had 10 Acro, about 20 Pachy, and 3 Carno. It was sorta funny in a sad way. I was hoping to find wave 3 also like some of the others here.

AcroSauroTaurus

Quote from: suspsy on February 11, 2016, 01:15:27 PM
Quote from: Simon on February 11, 2016, 03:59:55 AM
That is the "64 Dollar Question" right now.  I hope that they will release the rest of the original line, the paint jobs are far, far better than the originals.  And also the 4 new sculpts that Dan completed but that got delayed when Battat decided to re-introduce the old line.

The Terra Universe website still only shows the 12 dinosaurs that have been released so far - 4 new ones and 8 repaints of the originals:

http://www.terrauniverse.com/dinosaurs

It's five new sculpts, isn't it? Europasaurus, Gastonia, Gigantoraptor, Nasutoceratops, and Pentaceratops.

If it is those 5, then I'm good with that! Good to hear that those (might) be the next wave.
I am the Dinosaur King!

FlawedCoil82

Quote from: AcroSauroTaurus on February 12, 2016, 04:13:43 AM
If it is those 5, then I'm good with that! Good to hear that those (might) be the next wave.

I could be wrong,  but I believe they were just naming the 5 completed new sculpts that haven't been released yet. I dont necessarily think they will all appear in a 4th wave (if at all).

I do have a question regarding ceratopsian sculpts in general though. Why has no company (Battat, CollectA, Papo, Safari, Schleich, etc.) offered a Centrosaurus? Its amazing to me that he seems to be the one major ceratopsian that is still terribly underrepresented by any of these companies. Pachyrhinosaurus I can understand due to the "Walking With Dinosaurs" movie but like what is the deal with Nasutoceratops? Why is he proving to be so popular all of a sudden? I even tried to ask Dan on Facebook about poor Centro but sadly I believe he passed before he could answer back.

Sim

Quote from: docronnie on February 12, 2016, 01:42:39 AM
So wave 3 is hard to find at Target stores at the moment ...  :(

Posts on this forum show wave 1 and wave 2 weren't easy to find at first too, so hopefully wave 3 will become easier to find soon.

Quote from: FlawedCoil82 on February 12, 2016, 01:04:28 AM
Thanks for that link Sim. I do hope you (and the others) are correct. I really like the idea someone mentioned of the Terra line rebranding the boxes as "The Dan LoRusso Legacy Collection".

You're welcome! :)

JurassicGeek09

Quote from: FlawedCoil82 on February 12, 2016, 06:22:14 AM

I could be wrong,  but I believe they were just naming the 5 completed new sculpts that haven't been released yet. I dont necessarily think they will all appear in a 4th wave (if at all).

I do have a question regarding ceratopsian sculpts in general though. Why has no company (Battat, CollectA, Papo, Safari, Schleich, etc.) offered a Centrosaurus? Its amazing to me that he seems to be the one major ceratopsian that is still terribly underrepresented by any of these companies. Pachyrhinosaurus I can understand due to the "Walking With Dinosaurs" movie but like what is the deal with Nasutoceratops? Why is he proving to be so popular all of a sudden? I even tried to ask Dan on Facebook about poor Centro but sadly I believe he passed before he could answer back.

I think it's because Centrosaurus has nothing that makes it stand out from the crowd, whether it's the name or the look.  As for Nasutoceratops, I've assumed it's due to the odd horn shape. It's very unique amongst ceratopsians.
To view my collection pieces, check me out at: http://www.instagram.com/jurassicgeek09

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: FlawedCoil82 on February 12, 2016, 06:22:14 AM

Another aspect of this is that Nasutoceratops also was more of a recent and localized find compared to Centrosaurus. That aside from the still unresolved postion for Centrosaurus.....if it was actually Monclonius or Styracosaurus...in which case, there are some existing models of the dinosaur already
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Rogue1stClass

Quote from: JurassicGeek09 on February 12, 2016, 10:17:07 PM
I think it's because Centrosaurus has nothing that makes it stand out from the crowd, whether it's the name or the look.  As for Nasutoceratops, I've assumed it's due to the odd horn shape. It's very unique amongst ceratopsians.

Centrosaurus used to be a staple, especially under the name Monoclonius. It was always third after Triceratops and Styracosaurus, but it was usually there. The hipster "you wouldn't have heard of it" ceratopsian. What happened to it was the same thing that happened a lot of the old staples. The name changed. It's a problem with using the scientific names as common names and insisting that people use them correctly. When Monoclonius fell out of use in the 80s and 90s, Centrosaurus didn't take its place. In fact, that's pretty much been the case whenever we have changed the name of an animal. Edmontosaurus is out of the consciousness while Trachodon was one of the big ones in its day. Apatosaurus is still pretty popular, but nowhere near where Brontosaurus was. But, yeah, it also doesn't help that Centrosaurus is basically a Styracosaurus with his horn turned backwards and missing his frill spikes.

Nasutoceratops is easier. It's a recent animal, and one that similar enough to Triceratops to kind of fill that niche without really repeating it. This discussion is the first I've seen of Battat making one. I've seen Dan's resins for all the others, but I didn't know he was making a Nasuto.

FlawedCoil82

Well I do not intend to derail the thread topic too much. But it was just something I wondered, especially when I saw that Dan was apparently working on his own Nasutoceratops (and I believe I read he was even working on an Einiosaurus, which is at least closer to Centro). While Triceratops has always been my lifelong favorite,  I have always loved the appearance of both Styracosaurus and Centrosaurus (perhaps because I also love rhinos). But I would believe with all the ceratopsian sculpts out there for toys, surely one could manage a great Centrosaurus so he could get his own figure and add more variety instead of each company doing their own versions of the same dinosaur. The only toy I can think of I ever had or even seen was a Monoclonius made for "Dino Riders". I've seen newer art reconstructions of Monoclonius and the smaller horn does admittedly not look nearly as interesting as the longer one does on Centrosaurus, which is why I would prefer Centro. If just one of the major toy companies could show Centrosaurus a little love, I would be happy!  ^-^

Gwangi

I've wanted a Centrosaurus for a long time, one of my childhood favorites. I blame the Christopher Reeves hosted documentary "Dinosaur" for that as well as "Dino-Riders" and the Doug Henderson painting of a herd of Centrosaurus crossing a river, a very powerful image for my young impressionable mind. It bothers me that CollectA is making a Mercuriceratops known from only two squamosal bones when we have vast bone beds of Centrosaurus with no proper toy or collectible to show for it. And yes, we're overdo for an Einiosaurus too, another favorite ceratopsian of mine.

triceratops83

Aside from Centrosaurus and Einiosaurus, there's a few other old school ceratopsians that don't get any love - Achelousaurus, Anchiceratops and Arrhinoceratops. The triple A group. Also, Chasmosaurus doesn't have as many figures as you would expect for such a well known animal.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Gwangi

Quote from: triceratops83 on February 13, 2016, 05:39:31 AM
Aside from Centrosaurus and Einiosaurus, there's a few other old school ceratopsians that don't get any love - Achelousaurus, Anchiceratops and Arrhinoceratops. The triple A group. Also, Chasmosaurus doesn't have as many figures as you would expect for such a well known animal.

There is a Achelousaurus by CollectA but it is pretty abysmal. I have it but don't even display it. Kaiyodo has a decent Anchiceratops. There is no Arrhinoceratops that I'm aware of. Aside from Achelousaurus though the other two resemble Triceratops a lot, so that's probably why they get neglected. Not that I agree with that logic but at least Centrosaurus and Einiosaurus have a unique look, especially Einiosaurus. You would think that would make them prime targets for CollectA, Kaiyodo, or Safari. We could do with more Chasmosaurus too, although the Safari toob figure is a nice rendition, certainly not good enough though. Truth be told there is a long list of genera ceratopsian and otherwise that constantly get neglected. I'm sure they'll all get their due someday, I'm just impatient. I really feel like we'll see an Einiosaurus soon.

triceratops83

Yeah, I couldn't bring myself to get the older Collecta Ceratopsians, despite my collection. I'm really hanging out for that Battat Terra Pentaceratops, though. Odd that Pentaceratops seems to have broken the mould in the last couple of years to get a few new figures. Maybe Arrhinoceratops will be the next chasmosaurine to get its' time in the spotlight?
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Takama

Quote from: Gwangi on February 13, 2016, 05:50:15 AM
Quote from: triceratops83 on February 13, 2016, 05:39:31 AM

There is a Achelousaurus by CollectA but it is pretty abysmal. I have it but don't even display it. Kaiyodo has a decent Anchiceratops. There is no Arrhinoceratops that I'm aware of. Aside from Achelousaurus though the other two resemble Triceratops a lot, so that's probably why they get neglected. Not that I agree with that logic but at least Centrosaurus and Einiosaurus have a unique look, especially Einiosaurus. You would think that would make them prime targets for CollectA, Kaiyodo, or Safari. We could do with more Chasmosaurus too, although the Safari toob figure is a nice rendition, certainly not good enough though. Truth be told there is a long list of genera ceratopsian and otherwise that constantly get neglected. I'm sure they'll all get their due someday, I'm just impatient. I really feel like we'll see an Einiosaurus soon.

My line has you coverd

http://stores.dansdinosaurs.com/einiosaurus-finished-model-by-animasaurs/

Rogue1stClass

Quote from: FlawedCoil82 on February 13, 2016, 05:23:40 AM
Well I do not intend to derail the thread topic too much. But it was just something I wondered, especially when I saw that Dan was apparently working on his own Nasutoceratops (and I believe I read he was even working on an Einiosaurus, which is at least closer to Centro). While Triceratops has always been my lifelong favorite,  I have always loved the appearance of both Styracosaurus and Centrosaurus (perhaps because I also love rhinos). But I would believe with all the ceratopsian sculpts out there for toys, surely one could manage a great Centrosaurus so he could get his own figure and add more variety instead of each company doing their own versions of the same dinosaur. The only toy I can think of I ever had or even seen was a Monoclonius made for "Dino Riders". I've seen newer art reconstructions of Monoclonius and the smaller horn does admittedly not look nearly as interesting as the longer one does on Centrosaurus, which is why I would prefer Centro. If just one of the major toy companies could show Centrosaurus a little love, I would be happy!  ^-^

Funny this has come up, because I bought a Centrosaurus figure from the clearance rack at my local hobby store just the other day. It's from the Kabaya Dino World series, and it's neither very good, very big, nor easy to find. As far as Dan's Einiosaurus goes, it was a resin kit sculpted by Greg Wenzel. If you don't mind paying that kind of money, you can still get them from third parties, but you should probably just get the Centrosaurus.

http://stores.dansdinosaurs.com/centrosaurus-1-10-resin-kit-by-greg-wenzel/

Dinoguy2

I'd love somebody like Doug to take on an underrepresented classic dinosaur like Centrosaurus.

Also, people saying Achelousaurus and Einiosaurus are old school makes me feel... Well, old! ;) I remember when these were the cool new ceratopsians everyone wanted to see, like Nasutoceratops is now.

I think because so many new cerstopsids come out with big press releases companies are never short on new species so they never get around to covering the old species. Except of course Triceratops.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

EarthboundEiniosaurus

It's great to see so much love for my favorite dinosaur :)) and of course i'm in the same boat as the rest of you, I can't wait for a good solid toy to be made of it. I'm also in agreement that toy companies should start paying a little more attention to some of the "older" ceratopsians, instead of all these newly described genera.

Thanks,

EarthboundEiniosaurus
"Just think about it... Ceratopsids were the Late Cretaceous Laramidian equivalent of todays birds of paradise. And then there's Sinoceratops..."
- Someone, somewhere, probably.

suspsy

I'm certain either CollectA or Safari will eventually get around to doing Centrosaurus and Einiosaurus. Or perhaps Papo.

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Sim

Does anyone know if the unique ceratopsian postcrania NMC 8547 has had the species it belongs to identified?  The last I read about it was on the Anchiceratops Wikipedia page, and apparently it wasn't known if it belonged to Anchiceratops, Arrhinoceratops, or another species.  I would like that species made into a toy, but at the moment I don't know what species it belongs to...  That body would definitely make whatever species it belongs to more interesting!

Quote from: Gwangi on February 13, 2016, 05:50:15 AM
There is a Achelousaurus by CollectA but it is pretty abysmal. I have it but don't even display it. Kaiyodo has a decent Anchiceratops. There is no Arrhinoceratops that I'm aware of. Aside from Achelousaurus though the other two resemble Triceratops a lot, so that's probably why they get neglected. Not that I agree with that logic but at least Centrosaurus and Einiosaurus have a unique look, especially Einiosaurus.

Yeah, and Achelousaurus resembles Pachyrhinosaurus a lot...  My guess is that's probably why it hasn't been made more.

Rogue1stClass

Quote from: Sim on February 14, 2016, 12:47:17 AM
Does anyone know if the unique ceratopsian postcrania NMC 8547 has had the species it belongs to identified?  The last I read about it was on the Anchiceratops Wikipedia page, and apparently it wasn't known if it belonged to Anchiceratops, Arrhinoceratops, or another species.  I would like that species made into a toy, but at the moment I don't know what species it belongs to...  That body would definitely make whatever species it belongs to more interesting!

Wow. While running a search to see if anyone answered your question, I found a silent movie from 1925 documenting the discovery and preparation of that specimen. I love the internet!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqZrZJcfAf0

Sim

Thanks for searching, and sharing that video!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: