You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Re-issue of Battat former Museum of Science Boston Series

Started by loru1588, August 21, 2014, 05:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rain

Quote from: Digibasherx on January 11, 2017, 12:09:46 AM
I think the bigger problem is, the Bay isn't really known for toys for a long time.  I had an hour to kill and decided to roam at the Bay coz it's the only store in the area.  I doubt many people go to the Bay for toys.  If Battat scored a deal with Walmart, then I think distribution would be higher.

Definitely. I've been shopping at The Bay for years and had no idea they even sold toys. Thanks for sharing your finding btw, I'll have to go pick some up tomorrow  ;D

suspsy

Well, I'm an old timer, so I remember the good old days when visiting the toy section at The Bay was a favourite childhood pastime. It was sometime between 1997 and 2000 I'd say, when all the stores got rid of their toy sections. The Bay has only just recently brought them back. Who knows how well they'll do in this day and age? In light of the recent Battat development, I sure hope they do well enough!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

dinosaurdungeon

I live near Guelph and Kitchener/Waterloo, so I will check the bay in those cites this week, and let every one know! I'm happy to see them in Canada!!! Now let's hope for new ones! I was even thinking about contacting Battat, and offering to sculpt new dinosaurs for the line. I'd just like to see it continue for a long time to come!

Takama

Quote from: drjre77 on January 11, 2017, 09:40:33 PM
I live near Guelph and Kitchener/Waterloo, so I will check the bay in those cites this week, and let every one know! I'm happy to see them in Canada!!! Now let's hope for new ones! I was even thinking about contacting Battat, and offering to sculpt new dinosaurs for the line. I'd just like to see it continue for a long time to come!

BE our guest to offer yourself to continue Dans legacy.   I really would love to see your creations become more widespread in toy form.

Digibasherx

Quote from: Rain on January 11, 2017, 01:12:42 AM
Quote from: Digibasherx on January 11, 2017, 12:09:46 AM
I think the bigger problem is, the Bay isn't really known for toys for a long time.  I had an hour to kill and decided to roam at the Bay coz it's the only store in the area.  I doubt many people go to the Bay for toys.  If Battat scored a deal with Walmart, then I think distribution would be higher.

Definitely. I've been shopping at The Bay for years and had no idea they even sold toys. Thanks for sharing your finding btw, I'll have to go pick some up tomorrow  ;D

I'm glad I did as well.  I just got up to speed with this thread and wow, there's some interesting history with the Battat series.  Glad I can save everyone some driving and shipping fees  ;D.

Digibasherx

Quote from: drjre77 on January 11, 2017, 09:40:33 PM

I'd like to see you sculpt some new dinos as well!! You sculpts looks amazing!

dinosaurdungeon

Thanks guys! I think I'll start out by sculpting an Allosaurus and a small sauropod in the 1/40 scale. Then I'll send them some pics of it in an email and see what they think.

Daspletotyrannus

It nice to see that more stores  are selling the figures. Just hope this means that we get the others soon. One can only hope. Lol

Digibasherx

Finally got a chance to fiddle with the T-rex and I don't think the tail is supposed to look like that with the downward arc.  I did some adjusting and here's what I think Dan had originally intended.

It stands on it's own, I didn't  need to fix that.

The Acro couldn't stand, the ankles are way too soft, I might have to drill some copper rods at some point.

SBell

Quote from: suspsy on January 11, 2017, 01:38:39 AM
Well, I'm an old timer, so I remember the good old days when visiting the toy section at The Bay was a favourite childhood pastime. It was sometime between 1997 and 2000 I'd say, when all the stores got rid of their toy sections. The Bay has only just recently brought them back. Who knows how well they'll do in this day and age? In light of the recent Battat development, I sure hope they do well enough!

I only shop at the Bay when a clueless family member gives me a reason to return something there! I don't think my local one has a toy section, still, but I'll give it a look.

Interesting that they are available online though--the Bay spent millions on trying to be Canada's Amazon.com ( ::)) and nobody even knew they did anything.

SBell

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on January 10, 2017, 07:30:56 AM
Quote from: sauroid on January 10, 2017, 06:55:23 AM
great news that they are releasing them in Canada too. there are new stocks of previously unavailable figures in the UK right now. so wont be long til the rest of Europe sees them in shelves, hopefully.
what im curious about is if the US stocks are just being transfered/resold in other parts of the world? i hope not tho.
Just a guess but it seems like it would cost more to ship figures from the US than to cast more and just send them to the other markets.......

Of course they are all from the same production runs--they are produced in China, like most companies', and then distributed to their distribution centres. Most likely Hong Kong is the centre point for most of it, but they have focused distribution in the US.

Setting up manufacturing in multiple location is a logistical and economic nightmare (for small-item products...things like cars are different).

suspsy

Quote from: Digibasherx on January 15, 2017, 10:43:58 PM
Finally got a chance to fiddle with the T-rex and I don't think the tail is supposed to look like that with the downward arc.  I did some adjusting and here's what I think Dan had originally intended.

It stands on it's own, I didn't  need to fix that.

The Acro couldn't stand, the ankles are way too soft, I might have to drill some copper rods at some point.

Wow, that looks great! What did you do exactly?

Digibasherx

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Digibasherx on January 15, 2017, 11:56:28 PM
Quote from: suspsy on January 15, 2017, 11:48:39 PM

Hair dryer and ice water :)

You gave me a good idea to keep my tyrannosaurus rex from Battat standing.

Sim

Impressive customisation, Digibasherx!  The Battat Tyrannosaurus was actually sculpted by Greg Wenzel.  Dan LoRusso did the colour scheme for the Battat Terra version though.  I think that Tyrannosaurus was sculpted to have its tail curving down since that's how it is in its resin master version, which can be seen here standing behind the Acrocanthosaurus: link

suspsy

How long do you use the dryer for? And how long should the tail be submerged for?

Digibasherx

Quote from: Sim on January 16, 2017, 12:05:51 AM
Impressive customisation, Digibasherx!  The Battat Tyrannosaurus was actually sculpted by Greg Wenzel.  Dan LoRusso did the colour scheme for the Battat Terra version though.  I think that Tyrannosaurus was sculpted to have its tail curving down since that's how it is in its resin master version, which can be seen here standing behind the Acrocanthosaurus: link

Oh, that's interesting.  It always looked odd to me, maybe it had box or material restrictions in mind.

Digibasherx

Quote from: suspsy on January 16, 2017, 12:33:32 AM

How long do you use the dryer for? And how long should the tail be submerged for?

I just heat for a min or so until pliable.  Then I flex it into place (the twist tie marks seems to disappear after heating).  Once it looks about right, I just turn on the cold water faucet and douse the cold water on it.  The plastic will stiffen quiet quickly, then just dry and display.

ItsTwentyBelow

Looks nice for now, but I'll be amazed if the T. rex stays in that pose for you. In my experience that is only ever a temporary solution.

Report back in a couple weeks?

Digibasherx

Quote from: ItsTwentyBelow on January 16, 2017, 01:14:18 AM
Looks nice for now, but I'll be amazed if the T. rex stays in that pose for you. In my experience that is only ever a temporary solution.

Report back in a couple weeks?

Haha, I know what you mean.  Especially in the summer.  I would have to drill and insert a copper rod for a permanent solution.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: