You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Re-issue of Battat former Museum of Science Boston Series

Started by loru1588, August 21, 2014, 05:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keaton64

Quote from: Digibasherx on January 15, 2017, 10:43:58 PM
It stands on it's own, I didn't  need to fix that.

I must just be unlucky.  I bought the revised version with the blunted teeth and stiffer legs (which yours appears to be), and he couldn't stand at all due to being so front heavy.  Even the first version I have will stand for a little while before toppling forward.

Regardless, nice job on the tail mod.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Keaton64 on January 16, 2017, 01:45:11 AM

I must just be unlucky.  I bought the revised version with the blunted teeth and stiffer legs (which yours appears to be), and he couldn't stand at all due to being so front heavy.  Even the first version I have will stand for a little while before toppling forward.

Regardless, nice job on the tail mod.

If it's front-heavy (mine is too), it might actually benefit from having its tail raised because it would slightly increase the tail's lever arm. I think I'll try it on mine. As it is it already leans on an herbivore, so worst case scenario it...continues to lean on an herbivore.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Sim

Quote from: Digibasherx on January 16, 2017, 01:02:58 AM
Quote from: Sim on January 16, 2017, 12:05:51 AM
Impressive customisation, Digibasherx!  The Battat Tyrannosaurus was actually sculpted by Greg Wenzel.  Dan LoRusso did the colour scheme for the Battat Terra version though.  I think that Tyrannosaurus was sculpted to have its tail curving down since that's how it is in its resin master version, which can be seen here standing behind the Acrocanthosaurus: link

Oh, that's interesting.  It always looked odd to me, maybe it had box or material restrictions in mind.

My guess is it was sculpted that way to help keep the final toy version standing.

Quote from: Keaton64 on January 16, 2017, 01:45:11 AM

Have you tried boiling some water in a kettle, pouring it into a suitably shaped/sized container and putting the Tyrannosaurus's feet and lower leg area into it?  I imagine that should cause the feet/lower leg to revert to their original positions.  Then put them under cold water to make the plastic hard again.  If you do that on a Battat Tyrannosaurus made of the stiffer plastic, I would imagine it should then be able to stand.  I think this Tyrannosaurus sculpt should stay standing if its feet/legs aren't warped and it's a version made of hard plastic.

Keaton64

Quote from: Halichoeres on January 16, 2017, 02:19:20 AM
If it's front-heavy (mine is too), it might actually benefit from having its tail raised because it would slightly increase the tail's lever arm. I think I'll try it on mine. As it is it already leans on an herbivore, so worst case scenario it...continues to lean on an herbivore.

Quote from: Sim on January 16, 2017, 02:37:09 AM
Have you tried boiling some water in a kettle, pouring it into a suitably shaped/sized container and putting the Tyrannosaurus's feet and lower leg area into it?  I imagine that should cause the feet/lower leg to revert to their original positions.  Then put them under cold water to make the plastic hard again.  If you do that on a Battat Tyrannosaurus made of the stiffer plastic, I would imagine it should then be able to stand.  I think this Tyrannosaurus sculpt should stay standing if its feet/legs aren't warped and it's a version made of hard plastic.

I might try these out someday, thanks for the suggestions.  For something completely different, I sent an email to Battat regarding their dinosaurs, and this was their response:

"Thank you for your email.  We always appreciate when our customers take the time to write us and give us their feedback and use this information to help us improve our products and service.

The Terra line is an ongoing brand that we do not unfortunately have any updates on for the moment. The passing of Dan LoRusso was sad news to us all, and we hope to be able to bring his final molds to the line in the future.

Thank you again for your comments."

Team B.

So, nothing new.  Someday I will have you, Battat diplodocus.

suspsy

So if they hope to bring out the rest of the line, then what on Earth is the holdup? Disagreements with Dan's family over money? Moulds are MIA? Distribution not good enough? What?
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

ItsTwentyBelow

I am just glad to hear that, whatever is happening behind the scenes, there are people at Battat who would like to give us that beautiful Diplodocus again, and Dan's newest finished models, if they can.

Positive news is positive  ^-^

Takama

I think the Reason we have not seen any more is because they are willing to release new ones for 2017

At the end of 2015 we got the Stegosaurus Euoplocephalus and Parasaurolophus. Now i think they were meant to be 2016 releases because Schelich releases there next year items in December, and Safari does it sooner now. SO i imagine we might find some new battats in the Summer.

Of course this is all just a observation i had.   

DinoLord

It's good to hear they haven't completely forgotten about the line.

Victoria's Cantina

Quote from: suspsy on January 16, 2017, 03:10:03 AM
So if they hope to bring out the rest of the line, then what on Earth is the holdup? Disagreements with Dan's family over money? Moulds are MIA? Distribution not good enough? What?

Could be a any of those or a multitude of other reasons. It's possible they didn't want to give the impression they were capitalizing on his death by releasing newer models so quickly afterward. What hit in late 2015 was likely already in distribution when he passed. It sounds from that email though that they're interested in releasing more. Perhaps they've just been waiting for the right time. It seems to me they sell very well at my local stores and they keep replenishing them. The fact that they haven't put them on clearance and done away with them entirely is a good indication that the line still has viability and will continue to be supported by both Terra and Target.

Halichoeres

That's very encouraging, Keaton64, thanks for sharing that. I wonder if the others aren't out yet just because the existing ones are still selling well. If they can stretch out releases over a few years, it buys them time to find another sculptor if they choose to go beyond the existing Wenzel and LoRusso sculpts. And goodness knows the existing shelf space they occupy in Target is not adequate to house the entire line at once.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Victoria's Cantina

I just saw a Nanshiungosaurus at a local Target this evening. Is that one shipping again? I thought it was surprising to see it.

suspsy

More likely it was backstock that someone finally located and put out on the floor.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Daspletotyrannus

Did you buy it?  I would have.  Lol I saw a Cryolophosaurus around Christmas time. I didn't have the money to  buy it.  It was also I believe it a new stock too, because it had its name in two languages. I also think getting a fourth one is too much as I already own three. But then again I do like the figure. 

Victoria's Cantina

Quote from: Daspletotyrannus on February 22, 2017, 06:37:39 PM
Did you buy it?  I would have.  Lol I saw a Cryolophosaurus around Christmas time. I didn't have the money to  buy it.  It was also I believe it a new stock too, because it had its name in two languages. I also think getting a fourth one is too much as I already own three. But then again I do like the figure.

No. I had already gotten it from Target.com back in 2015.

Victoria's Cantina

So, I saw another Nanshiungosaurus at a different Target. I feel quite confident now that they're shipping them again.

Shonisaurus

The nanshiungosaurus and cryolophosaurus I found luckily at www.everythingdinosaur.co.uk and both their owners Mike and Sue treated me with absolute professionalism. I received the replicas in record time. Apart from that it comes with a brochure explaining each species whenever you shop at everythingdinosaur. I recommend it if someone wants to find the Battat dinosaurs that they lack.  ^-^

ZoPteryx

Just thought I'd share a little observation:

At my local Target a few days ago, the only dinos left were about four Pachyrhinosaurs and they (along with the other boxed creatures) had been moved from their center shelf to the bottom shelf, apparently in order to make way for some sort of barn diorama in a glass box.  With the setup taking nearly a whole shelf, there really wasn't much room left on the endcap.

Also, a note to consider about endcaps.  I currently work in retail, and although I can't speak for large corporations like Target, I know at my store endcaps are rented positions.  Companies pay to put their products there, usually on a monthly basis.  Now the Battat Terra series is on a less desirable rear endcap (everywhere?), so their payments are probably considerably less, but the fact that Battat continues to reserve the spot must mean that sales are strong enough to encourage them to do so.  So potentially a bit of good news for those that were worried about the well being of the line.  :)

Roselaar

This is not really an re-issue question, but at least it's about Battat figures.

I received an original Battat Ceratosaurus this week (one that wasn't in great condition, unfortunately). I have most of the re-issues and a few of the old releases and they're all made of a flexible, rubbery material. This Ceratosaurus (unlike its repaint version) however was made of a much harder plastic. What's up with that? Some sort of variation or something?

Doug Watson

Quote from: Roselaar on March 05, 2017, 02:22:02 PM
This is not really an re-issue question, but at least it's about Battat figures.

I received an original Battat Ceratosaurus this week (one that wasn't in great condition, unfortunately). I have most of the re-issues and a few of the old releases and they're all made of a flexible, rubbery material. This Ceratosaurus (unlike its repaint version) however was made of a much harder plastic. What's up with that? Some sort of variation or something?

I have the original 1994 version and it is in a harder plastic than the others in the line. My guess is this was an attempt to cure the falling over problem of the softer plastic. Unfortunately it didn't work, mine won't stand no matter how many times I fix the feet. In 1998 they brought out another version, the first version had a shorter tail held horizontally and the 2nd version has the downward sweeping tail that the reissue has. I don't have the 1998 so I don't know if it is made of the same hard plastic.

Roselaar

Quote from: Doug Watson on March 05, 2017, 02:46:54 PM
Quote from: Roselaar on March 05, 2017, 02:22:02 PM

I have the original 1994 version and it is in a harder plastic than the others in the line. My guess is this was an attempt to cure the falling over problem of the softer plastic. Unfortunately it didn't work, mine won't stand no matter how many times I fix the feet. In 1998 they brought out another version, the first version had a shorter tail held horizontally and the 2nd version has the downward sweeping tail that the reissue has. I don't have the 1998 so I don't know if it is made of the same hard plastic.

That's as good an explanation as any, thanks!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: