News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Re-issue of Battat former Museum of Science Boston Series

Started by loru1588, August 21, 2014, 05:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daspletodave

Glad to see the repaints are finally in the stores. I see they went with "version two" for Ceratosaurus, just like I predicted they would!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Gwangi on July 07, 2015, 11:29:05 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on July 07, 2015, 10:34:11 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on July 07, 2015, 08:49:29 PM
Thanks for the inventory checker Blade. Naturally my local Target is one of the only stores that according to that thing, doesn't have them. I'm sure they will be soon though. I've waited this long, I suppose I can wait awhile longer. But I reallllly don't wanna wait anymore!

I know how you feel..I'm wondering if there is a fourth one I haven't found. At least it lets you check instead of wasting gas..and you can check whenever you want without having to call, hope an employee is willing to check and know what your talking about.. ;)

A guy on FB said he saw these at Barnes and Noble..take with a grain of salt as it's the first I've heard.

My local B&N just started carrying Schleich so that is probably what he saw. 

QuoteDoes anyone know if the re-issued Triceratops in Target yet?

Trust me, when someone finds it you'll know about it.  ;)

That makes more sense. My bud is going there tomorrow for the JW Cinefex and he's going to look just to be sure. So I'll let you all know.

joossa

Thanks for the pictures, Blade and I'm happy to hear these are finally hitting Targets.
The Carnotaurus doesn't look so bad. I know I'm in the minority here, but I really want to like these figures, but I just can't get over the paint apps. The sculpts and some of the poses are very nice and I understand that there's a lot of charm to these figures because the originals have been around for a while, but considering these are repaints, I was hoping for something that looks a little better that what has been shown in the stock/preview photos. I'm not an expert, but it looks like the paint is applied with brushwork and not via airbrushing (the new Carno looks like it was airbrushed). They just look sloppy in my eyes, save for the Diplodocus, which is the only one I look forward to purchasing. Even the four figures in the Terra line from 2014 have the same type of paint application.

Still looking forward to giving them a look over in person at my Target store.

-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

I like the Carno myself, being about the same scale I think as the first Carnegie it's a pretty comparison to see just how nice it is.

Meso-Cenozoic

Just catching up on this thread. Great to hear some of the repaints are out there at least at some Targets. I'll check mine this week. Thanks for the nice pics, Blade! I see they're distributing the repaints of the originals in TERRA boxes. Good to know. I wouldn't have looked for these under the TERRA name.

As far as the repaints of these three, I actually like the Carno's coloring the best. I like the original Amarga better. And the Cerato is interesting, but I find these new colors make him look similar to the original Carno, minus of course the white belly. But still, all good news! I'll still be eventually getting the entire set of repaints.

I know this isn't quite the right thread, but just a quick question about the actual TERRA Series dinos. I'm wondering since they've started releasing the repaints and not the next batch of the new TERRA's, if that might mean an even longer hold-up on the new ones, or maybe one doesn't have anything to do with the other. But we still haven't even gotten the last two from last year... the Gigantoraptor and the Gastonia. Hmm. Just curious.

Anyway, I also hope Dan's doing well and is just massively busy. Sending him positive vibes either way. :)

suspsy

The Gigantoraptor and the Gastonia were supposed to be released last year??
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Halichoeres

Quote from: joossa on July 08, 2015, 03:47:09 AM
I know I'm in the minority here, but I really want to like these figures, but I just can't get over the paint apps. The sculpts and some of the poses are very nice and I understand that there's a lot of charm to these figures because the originals have been around for a while, but considering these are repaints, I was hoping for something that looks a little better that what has been shown in the stock/preview photos. I'm not an expert, but it looks like the paint is applied with brushwork and not via airbrushing (the new Carno looks like it was airbrushed). They just look sloppy in my eyes, save for the Diplodocus, which is the only one I look forward to purchasing. Even the four figures in the Terra line from 2014 have the same type of paint application.

Still looking forward to giving them a look over in person at my Target store.

I know what you mean. The sculpts are great, but the paint jobs are a notch or two below. But with the first wave discounted to $5/pop, I'd say these guys are ripe for repainting. The details could really pop with a careful paint job. I'd love to see these guys painted like a Papo, but then again a Papo the same size costs 4x more, and I can see why Target wouldn't see that as a worthwhile trade-off for an exclusive line.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

amargasaurus cazaui

I guess I kind of overlook any issues with the paint and I give some background in that Dan is taking chemo to stop the advance of his cancer. He can barely sculpt at certain levels, and I am sure painting detail is not as simple as it might be for someone like myself given what he is fighting. Even then I dont mind the paint myself, I like them, and think that he did alright finding a new paint app for something like eighteen figures all at the same time ? I guess I just consider that and am just delighted to have a chance to own these toys for the retail offering price .....I can always get two and have Martin work his magic on one for that matter. I never thought I would get to purchase original battat sculpts at purchase price....the gloss on the amarga is a bit glaring for me, but yeah, I can get around paint for the price these are being offered, and I guess I give Dan some room there.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Halichoeres

Right, that's an excellent point, amargasaurus, and I certainly don't mean to sound like I'm denigrating Dan's skills. In fact, when I look at the level of sculpting prowess that his recent Terra figures demonstrate, I suspect he is still capable of much more complex, subtle paint jobs than we see in the production pieces (see also other items from the Dinosaur Studio). That makes me think that because he's setting paint schemes for mass production at a very low price point, and Terra and/or Target probably want to keep production costs down, the paint schemes end up simpler because of the cost of repeated paint applications rather than because of lack of skill or dexterity. I am also ecstatic that I'm going to be able to lay my hands on these for so cheap.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: Meso-Cenozoic on July 08, 2015, 08:55:51 AM

I know this isn't quite the right thread, but just a quick question about the actual TERRA Series dinos. I'm wondering since they've started releasing the repaints and not the next batch of the new TERRA's, if that might mean an even longer hold-up on the new ones, or maybe one doesn't have anything to do with the other. But we still haven't even gotten the last two from last year... the Gigantoraptor and the Gastonia. Hmm. Just curious.

There is another thread for the new Terra dinos, see here: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=2742.0 . Somebody in that thread said that they called the company, and was informed that they only release newly produced figures in spring and fall. The next batch of new dinos suffered some sort of delay in manufacturing, causing them to miss the spring deadline, so we won't see them till this fall. (The next set will consist of at least Gastonia and Gigantoraptor, and hopefully Pentaceratops and Europasaurus as well.)

The re-issues will definitely tide me over in the meantime! I never got the chance to collect the original run. For my money, I like both the old and new paint schemes: it would be cool if both were offered! I know that won't happen though.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Dan said something to the effect  that the paint schemes he chose had to approved and he made them simple so the factory can reproduce them better?  I read way too many posts so I may have got that wrong but it does make sense. I'm sure Papo level painting is a possibility they just didn't want to for cost, time, ect..

Maybe if there are 4 in this Wave then the fourth could be a new one? That would make sense from a business standpoint.

Meso-Cenozoic

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on July 08, 2015, 05:11:48 PM
Quote from: Meso-Cenozoic on July 08, 2015, 08:55:51 AM

There is another thread for the new Terra dinos, see here: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=2742.0 . Somebody in that thread said that they called the company, and was informed that they only release newly produced figures in spring and fall. The next batch of new dinos suffered some sort of delay in manufacturing, causing them to miss the spring deadline, so we won't see them till this fall. (The next set will consist of at least Gastonia and Gigantoraptor, and hopefully Pentaceratops and Europasaurus as well.)

The re-issues will definitely tide me over in the meantime! I never got the chance to collect the original run. For my money, I like both the old and new paint schemes: it would be cool if both were offered! I know that won't happen though.

Thanks! I did hear about the Spring/Fall releases. I just thought something different might be up since these are now being released in the TERRA Series as well.

As far as the new paint jobs, I don't mind them. Some I like better than others. But paint can always be changed to each of our own likings. No biggie!

Brachiosaurus

I will be using the repainted amarga as a male while my 2 originals will be females

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Brachiosaurus on July 08, 2015, 05:46:21 PM
I will be using the repainted amarga as a male while my 2 originals will be females

That's an idea!

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: Brachiosaurus on July 08, 2015, 05:46:21 PM

I was thinking of doing something similar with my Carnegie Amargasaurus! Or at least using the two as a practical demonstration of changing ideas in paleontology.

Tapejara1122

2 things :

I went to target yesterday and no luck, but they seemed to have restocked the Terras. There were more pachys and more dacentrurus.

I actually tried to repaint my cryolophosaurus with acrylic,  not the best idea... it was also my first time so...it turned out being pretty bad.

"You know, at times like this one feels, well, perhaps extinct animals should be left extinct". - Ian Malcolm

Brachiosaurus

stargatedalek

I'll be visiting Stateside in a few weeks so here's hoping New England Targets have a few more in stock around then ;)

terrorchicken

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on July 07, 2015, 10:35:51 PM
Quote from: terrorchicken on July 07, 2015, 06:47:24 PM
Quote from: Takama on July 06, 2015, 08:37:23 PM
Quote from: terrorchicken on July 06, 2015, 06:29:18 PM
I have the original set except for the diplodocus. These were my favorite models for a long time, but anyone know why the heck they gave the stego 8 tail spikes?  ???
I have the newer cryolopho and dacentrurus but I dont now if Ill get the therizino and I prefer the safari pachy.

At the time the model was first made, the species of Stegosaurus that it was based on was thought to have had 8 spikes. Now a days, it is no longer accepted, so the model is a relic of a time when Scientists thought differently.

oh now I think I remember seeing a scientific drawing of a stego like that, in an old dino book I have. So I guess if they rerelease the figure for the Terra line theyll remove the extra spilkes?
I may replace my stego if they do, plus the ceratsaurus and carnotaurus  b/c I dont like their paint jobs...and the Trex b/c mine has those stupid snowshoes that dont even let it stand.

If you have an old Carnegie Triceratops, lay it face down on it's side and place the snowshoe Rex's forward foot between the legs on the upward side of the belly. Mine stands pretty well like that and it's a cool base/scene.

nope I dont. I usually use my Resaurus T-rex or raptor stand to hold it up or just lie it against the wall of my shelf.

I would actually prefer we get more accurate resculpts myself but its not a deal breaker for me...  :)

Did go to Target today, they didnt have any new figures and the old ones werent even on sale.  :(

Brachiosaurus

My dad went to a doctors appointment today and I asked him to stop by the Danver's MA target to see if they had them, They do, they're not on the shelves yet, you need to give an employee the pin number or whatever, my dad is bringing them home!!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: