News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Re-issue of Battat former Museum of Science Boston Series

Started by loru1588, August 21, 2014, 05:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stargatedalek

Nanshiungosaurus can't stand bipedally in the first place, its leaning on its forelimb.

Meso-Cenozoic

Quote from: stargatedalek on July 13, 2015, 09:33:52 PM
Nanshiungosaurus can't stand bipedally in the first place, its leaning on its forelimb.

Yeah, he leans on his right hand claw. But if his plastic was as soft as the Carno's, since the claw curls under, he would also eventually fall forward. But I just checked him, and his plastic seems firmer.

On the other hand, I just checked my Cryo and Cerato, and they're both pretty soft in the ankles like my Carno. The Cerato's ankles and thicker, so that should help. But the Cryo's are thin like the Carno's. I didn't take them all the way out, just wiggled them around in their boxes. But they sure seem a bit soft. Maybe when I finally display them outside of their boxes, I'll keep them on their plastic bases.

*EDIT*
When putting away just now the Carno figures I took out for the pic, I noticed that the repainted reissues DON"T have plastic bases like the new Battat TERRA figures do. I don't know how I missed that when taking the Carno out to begin with. LOL! I wonder why they didn't include them like they did with the new figures?

Sim

Quote from: Gwangi on July 13, 2015, 03:11:00 AM
The animation in my sig. is from the 1992 4-part PBS documentary "The Dinosaurs!" which can be viewed on YouTube. There were a ton of great animations in that documentary and yes, this one does depict Herrarasaurus and at least some kind of rauisuchid.
Thanks! :D  I found out more about it on Wikipedia, and after that over the last few days I watched all 4 episodes.  It contains a lot of information which is historical, was believed at the time and is now historical, and which is still up-to-date today.  I found it interesting and enjoyable!  The animations were good, and I also really liked some of the music like the music used in the ending credits!  The Dinosaurs! was well done!

Quote from: Meso-Cenozoic on July 13, 2015, 09:52:56 PM
When putting away just now the Carno figures I took out for the pic, I noticed that the repainted reissues DON"T have plastic bases like the new Battat TERRA figures do. I don't know how I missed that when taking the Carno out to begin with. LOL! I wonder why they didn't include them like they did with the new figures?
I'm glad the newer figures don't come with the black plastic straps the Cryo and Nanshiungo came with which tend to press into the figure a bit.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

My Target's being dumb.  >:(
The old models on shelves are on clearance, and the new ones are supposedly in stock according to the web, but the employees there have refused to check in the back each time I've gone. I guess I'll just have to wait a few weeks until they're actually on the shelves.

Gwangi

Quote from: Sim on July 16, 2015, 12:45:06 AM
Quote from: Gwangi on July 13, 2015, 03:11:00 AM
The animation in my sig. is from the 1992 4-part PBS documentary "The Dinosaurs!" which can be viewed on YouTube. There were a ton of great animations in that documentary and yes, this one does depict Herrarasaurus and at least some kind of rauisuchid.
Thanks! :D  I found out more about it on Wikipedia, and after that over the last few days I watched all 4 episodes.  It contains a lot of information which is historical, was believed at the time and is now historical, and which is still up-to-date today.  I found it interesting and enjoyable!  The animations were good, and I also really liked some of the music like the music used in the ending credits!  The Dinosaurs! was well done!

I was also a big fan of the music on that show. I realize it's a bit dated but for me, it's nostalgic. It's a shame more modern paleo-docs are not made similarly. I've always loved seeing experts in the field and lab, bone assembly, artwork and all that. Now it's all just crappy CGI with the occasional talking head in a room.

terrorchicken

do they still even make dinosaur/paleo documentaries anymore?  I havent seen a new one in a long time. There were a whole bunch of them released in the 2000s after Dinosaur and WWD came out but they seemed to stop making them for the last few years. Hopefully with Jurassic World being a hit we'll get some new ones with updated info...

Gwangi

Quote from: terrorchicken on July 16, 2015, 08:39:46 PM
do they still even make dinosaur/paleo documentaries anymore?  I havent seen a new one in a long time. There were a whole bunch of them released in the 2000s after Dinosaur and WWD came out but they seemed to stop making them for the last few years. Hopefully with Jurassic World being a hit we'll get some new ones with updated info...

Yeah, they're around. "Dinosaur Revolution" and "Planet Dinosaur" are two of the more recent bigger budget series. The most recent documentary I can think of however is last month's "T. rex Autopsy" which was really good. Off hand you also have "Animal Armageddon", "Tyrannosaurus Sex", "Dinosaur Gangs", "The Truth About Killer Dinosaurs", "Last Day of the Dinosaurs", "Clash of the Dinosaurs". And occasionally shows like NOVA will feature an episode about dinosaurs.

Maybe we need a thread all about documentaries? This doesn't seem like the place to discuss this but it would be fun to compile a list.

Takama

To get back on topic, One of the nearest Targets seems to have one of each of the new ones.    I plan on going there Monday if things go ok with my mom at a appointment she has on that day.

If i get any of them. I plan on reviewing it for the blog, because they are of a different series then the original releases. Do you all Agree with this? I wont be able to compare to the originals as i don't own them

Simon

Quote from: Takama on July 17, 2015, 12:33:44 AM
To get back on topic, One of the nearest Targets seems to have one of each of the new ones.    I plan on going there Monday if things go ok with my mom at a appointment she has on that day.

If i get any of them. I plan on reviewing it for the blog, because they are of a different series then the original releases. Do you all Agree with this? I wont be able to compare to the originals as i don't own them

No sign of them yet in my local Target here in NorCal...

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

I dunno. It may be part of a new series with new paint, but it's the exact same model otherwise. If nothing has been physically changed, there's really nothing new to be said.

amargasaurus cazaui

You could make that the STRENGTH of your review ...rather than spend your time doing the obvious comparison everyone else will be doing with the orginal...focus your review on offering a piercing and long look at the new toy only....and perhaps talk about its creator and so forth.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Meso-Cenozoic

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on July 17, 2015, 07:43:32 AM

You could make that the STRENGTH of your review ...rather than spend your time doing the obvious comparison everyone else will be doing with the orginal...focus your review on offering a piercing and long look at the new toy only....and perhaps talk about its creator and so forth.

Takama, my Target only got one of each in too. When I found that out, I really felt lucky to be the one who got them! Could you maybe call them ahead and ask them to hold them for you if you're pretty sure which day you'll be going? Maybe they would if you put a small holding fee on a credit card. Of course, this fee would then go towards the total purchase. They might be able to do it. You never know. It never hurts to ask. ;)

Armarga, that's a good idea. And with the new releases having all new paint designs, you can comment on that too.... how well the paint was applied, how well the colors and patterns suit each animal, and so on.

suspsy

Quote from: Gwangi on July 16, 2015, 09:50:50 PM
Quote from: terrorchicken on July 16, 2015, 08:39:46 PM

Yeah, they're around. "Dinosaur Revolution" and "Planet Dinosaur" are two of the more recent bigger budget series. The most recent documentary I can think of however is last month's "T. rex Autopsy" which was really good. Off hand you also have "Animal Armageddon", "Tyrannosaurus Sex", "Dinosaur Gangs", "The Truth About Killer Dinosaurs", "Last Day of the Dinosaurs", "Clash of the Dinosaurs". And occasionally shows like NOVA will feature an episode about dinosaurs.

Maybe we need a thread all about documentaries? This doesn't seem like the place to discuss this but it would be fun to compile a list.

I second this motion! There have been some genuinely great ones on National Geographic recently.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

terrorchicken

a thread would be a good idea as Ive never heard of most of these(or maybe Ive seen them but I just dont remember their titles.) The last docu I remember seeing was narrated by Christian Slater(I remember it b/c of how much his voice annoyed me throughout the whole thing, lol.)

Don B.

Found the Ceratosaurus at a Target just outside of DC. Didn't have the others. Now it doesn't have the Ceratosaurus.

EDIT:
I didn't look at the bill for a few days. I purchased the Ceratosaurus with a Dacentrus that was being closed out at $5.99. When I checked the bill, they sold the Cera for $5.99 as well. And because I used their red card, I got an extra 5% off. That's kinda cool.

Pachyrhinosaurus

Just a heads up to those who haven't discovered the hard way-- my local Target lists one on-hand of each and didn't have any upon my visit. I'm not saying all Targets are like that but if the website lists only one don't get your hopes up.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on July 21, 2015, 10:18:04 PM
Just a heads up to those who haven't discovered the hard way-- my local Target lists one on-hand of each and didn't have any upon my visit. I'm not saying all Targets are like that but if the website lists only one don't get your hopes up.

Did you take the codes and have them check in the back? If there is older product on the shelf sometimes they just hold them in the back and will go and get them for you.

Pachyrhinosaurus

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on July 21, 2015, 10:32:18 PM
Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on July 21, 2015, 10:18:04 PM

Did you take the codes and have them check in the back? If there is older product on the shelf sometimes they just hold them in the back and will go and get them for you.
Yes, I did with two different employees. I don't have a problem waiting, though. It looks like they are thinning out (on sale for $3) and will receive  more soon.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Could be scalpers just beat you to the punch...seems to happen a lot with other toy lines. :/

Fembrogon

Well, I checked my two nearest Targets today and yesterday, with no luck. I was told today that apparently, dpc codes are more effective when searching for specific items, whereas upc codes apparently bring up more generic results regarding the line. *shrug*

Would someone mind sharing their phone number or email? I wouldn't mind talking with Battat directly to find out if anything's going on.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: