News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Knock-off figures - general discussion

Started by SBell, October 03, 2014, 03:34:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Strepsodus

I don't waste my time with knockoffs that look like crap.

Bootlegs dissing Safari Ltd be like

dinofelid

Found an interesting knockoff on aliexpress recently--a Cameroceras that looked almost exactly like the on in the Colarata Paleozoic set but about 1.5 times as big (the Colarata Cameroceras had a 10 cm shell, this one had a 14.5 cm shell). I had already purchased the Colarata set on eBay so I felt OK about buying this one as well, I've been trying to collect all the Paleozoic models I can find that can work at 1:35 scale or so, at that scale the model would be an individual with a shell about 5.1 meters long so probably in the range of what's plausible (Frey 1995 says on p. 73 that they were 'up to 6 m in length')

Strepsodus

That's the one I bought. It's quite well made.

Duna

I've found these chinese knock off figures from the French Starlux.

This seems to be an earlier set. Papo has to be very happy because its tyrannosaurus appears everywhere, and in the back, too. The stegosaurus and triceratops are knock offs of Safari.
I have the triceratops myself.

And this is the set that is actually on sale and on the web too. It's quite expensive, about 55€. They seem to have replaced the Papo running rex for the knock off of a Safari retired version but it still appears in the art of the box:

Duna

What do you think of "Jolly Dinos"?

They seem to sell very good knock-offs of mostly Papo and Schleich on eBay, some even in the same colours ... There are about a dozen figures, about 11€ each box.

BlueKrono

Those are identical to a lot I saw on Amazon a year or two ago. The whole lot was quite cheap, maybe $20 for all. Looks like this knockoff company found a way to multiply their money with the same cheap product.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Duna

Quote from: BlueKrono on February 20, 2022, 02:20:02 PM
Those are identical to a lot I saw on Amazon a year or two ago. The whole lot was quite cheap, maybe $20 for all. Looks like this knockoff company found a way to multiply their money with the same cheap product.
Interesting. Yes, the box adds more to that.

TooOldForDinosaurs

This is a knock-off I got on AliExpress for a few dollars. I bought it as a cool looking Stegosaur and only later found out, that it's a knock-off of the REBOR Stego. It is very well done actually, only the moveable parts aren't moveable here (which I even prefer) but the seam lines are still visible.

Measurements for anyone interested are 26cm in length and about 13cmin height.

Stegotyranno420

While I try to stray from bootlegs this looks like a nice base to do some customization on.
Thanks for sharing this.

Fembrogon

Quote from: Duna on February 20, 2022, 02:05:45 PM
What do you think of "Jolly Dinos"?

They seem to sell knock-offs of mostly Papo and Schleich on eBay, some even in the same colours ... There are about a dozen figures, about 11€ each box.
They look quite good as knockoffs; some of those are so close they could pass for the real things.
...Which is kind of problematic...

TooOldForDinosaurs

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on February 20, 2022, 06:12:01 PM
While I try to stray from bootlegs this looks like a nice base to do some customization on.
Thanks for sharing this.

Cheers! Btw. did you get my answer to your PM? It was the first time I used the PM function and it does'nt show/ I can't see my reply anywhere so I'm not sure if it even sent.

Fembrogon

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on February 20, 2022, 06:12:01 PM
Thanks for sharing this.
That's probably one of the biggest advantages to knockoffs - it gives customizers a good base for cheaper than the regular figures. I've definitely seen a few neat repaints here and there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-SwBOpemVk

Kapitaenosavrvs

Oh No. Poor GR Toys.
From AE. I won't post a Link.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Kapitaenosavrvs on October 18, 2022, 03:21:08 PMOh No. Poor GR Toys.
From AE. I won't post a Link.
As much as I refrain from knockoffs now, it will be very fun to test repaint this guy.

Lynx

The worst part about some of these good knockoffs is that if someone were to post a lot with said figure mildly hidden/the photo is low quality, it could be passable as the real thing. Mainly the Papo Acro, which is close enough to the real thing to make big bucks.
An oversized house cat.

Faelrin

This Safari Ltd Deinonychus bootleg complete with modified open mouth, and lifted up tail (and they tried to pass it off as Utahraptor):

Here's the listing I found it at:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255398843998?hash=item3b76f5165e:g:IqIAAOSwHXxiFF5z

Feels bad seeing Doug Watson's beautiful work getting mangled like this all to make a quick buck.

Edit: A literal translation of Saurornitholestes I suppose, which um, speaks for itself. Something about it gives me vibes of the Papo Velociraptor. Probably a bootleg or knockoff of it right? This was with the other bootleg above.

Edit 2: Found this hideous bootleg Kaprosuchus:

Last one I'll share, but seriously lots of others like this on there. Boggles my mind they sell legitimate things, but then knockoffs of the same brands at times (including Nanmu, etc).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Lynx

Surprised they went for an accurate, feathered dinosaur in the bootleg.
I saw it before, thought it was a custom of the safari figure, and was planning to get it until I realized the seller didn't credit safari and sold other knockoffs.
An oversized house cat.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: dinofelid on December 30, 2021, 07:12:51 PMFound an interesting knockoff on aliexpress recently--a Cameroceras that looked almost exactly like the on in the Colarata Paleozoic set but about 1.5 times as big (the Colarata Cameroceras had a 10 cm shell, this one had a 14.5 cm shell). I had already purchased the Colarata set on eBay so I felt OK about buying this one as well, I've been trying to collect all the Paleozoic models I can find that can work at 1:35 scale or so, at that scale the model would be an individual with a shell about 5.1 meters long so probably in the range of what's plausible (Frey 1995 says on p. 73 that they were 'up to 6 m in length')
Quote from: Strepsodus on December 31, 2021, 02:30:25 AMThat's the one I bought. It's quite well made.

There's a guy that keeps buying that one so he can sell it alongside his fossil finds at various local fossil shows around here in the general North Texas area. That's how I finally added it to my collection. I figured if I was gonna buy a knockoff, I'd at least support a local vendor at the same time.

Takama

So WALGREENS(A big chain pharmacy store in the USA) now has a Bin of Bootlegs that ripped off almost every big company you can think of.

But what stood out too me was that among these brands was REBOR.  The figures in qustion were the Dimophodon, Yutyrannus, And Ankylosaurus.   

Normally i would have been against this all together. But since the REAL figure is no longer in stock at ANY ONLINE STORE, (unless you "please a scalper") and looks pretty decent for a bootleg, on top of horrible memorys I had of that REBOR Ceratosaurus incident, many years ago, among other things.

I boght me one of the Ankylosaurus

EDIT Thank you Dr.Admin for helping me post the image.

Faelrin

For a bootleg that is pretty decent. The paint app isn't obviously a 1:1 to the original plain variant, but what is there isn't too bad. I'm guessing the downside (or perhaps upside to some) to it being a bootleg is it probably lacks the bendy wire tail, and jaw articulation of the original. I could have sworn the whole reason Rebor implemented those features in the first place was to cut down on the bootlegs out there of their figures, but it appears they are still bypassing those measures after all. Edit: Other then having more display options after all.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: