News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Knock-off figures - general discussion

Started by SBell, October 03, 2014, 03:34:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dilopho

Quote from: Uroplatus on September 06, 2015, 09:02:42 PM
Quote from: Dilopho on September 06, 2015, 08:28:12 PM
Quote from: CityRaptor on September 06, 2015, 07:23:38 PM
Sounnds like a lame excuse to justify them making a bootleg. What a bunch of jerks!
It's not a bootleg! But it does copy a lot. I thought it was a bootleg at first. It's a shame that the Megasaurs line ended before they could release the battling dinosaur figures- figures of dinosaurs locked in combat, such as a tyrannosaurus covered in troodontids, or the dinosaurs (and pterosaurs) with prey, including an *incredible* realistic carnotaurus, better than schleich and papo. But the company got sold to another company which didn't care much for dinosaurs.

Seriously?  ???
It's looking like nothing more then a shameless Papo knock-off to me...

Well, yeah, like I keep saying it does look like Papo's, but on purpose because it's supposed to go alongside it. I mean, technically it''s copying the Allosaurus, but that's because Saurophaganax DID look remarkably similar to Allosaurus, so they need the same style. You can see some more Megasaurs products in these images, which sadly all got cancelled due to the company being sold. I really wanted the Tyrannosaurs battling those reptiles. (And no, that's not the Carno I was talking about, obviously)

CityRaptor

It is a shameless knock-off.
Megasaurs are still around. Overpriced Chinasaurs which rip-off pics of Papo Dinosaurs for their packages.

Those so-called "realistic" are probably knock-offs of some japanese figures or good quality model kits.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Dilopho

Quote from: CityRaptor on September 06, 2015, 09:24:22 PM
It is a shameless knock-off.
Megasaurs are still around. Overpriced Chinasaurs which rip-off pics of Papo Dinosaurs for their packages.

Those so-called "realistic" are probably knock-offs of some japanese figures or good quality model kits.

Oh, I give in. Anyway, back on topic: Bad bootlegs. Does anyone have any shameless bootlegs that make Megasaurs look like Papo in comparison? Like, REALLY bad bootlegs?

joossa

Quote from: Dilopho on September 06, 2015, 08:28:12 PM
Quote from: CityRaptor on September 06, 2015, 07:23:38 PM
Sounnds like a lame excuse to justify them making a bootleg. What a bunch of jerks!
It's not a bootleg! But it does copy a lot. I thought it was a bootleg at first. It's a shame that the Megasaurs line ended before they could release the battling dinosaur figures- figures of dinosaurs locked in combat, such as a tyrannosaurus covered in troodontids, or the dinosaurs (and pterosaurs) with prey, including an *incredible* realistic carnotaurus, better than schleich and papo. But the company got sold to another company which didn't care much for dinosaurs.

It's a bootleg.
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Dilopho

If I could find it I'd show you guys a picture, but I recently recieved a box of Safari bootlegs for Christmas (And you thought socks were a bad gift....) and the Triceratops has no eyes at all!
I'm going to repaint them all.

Uroplatus

Quote from: Dilopho on September 06, 2015, 09:45:32 PM
If I could find it I'd show you guys a picture, but I recently recieved a box of Safari bootlegs for Christmas (And you thought socks were a bad gift....) and the Triceratops has no eyes at all!

Which figures are in it?
I have been seeing something similar come up in some of our local toy stores, i believe the boxes contain a bootleg of Triceratops, T-rex, Dilophosaurus, Velociraptor and some Pterosaur but i'm not sure of the species since i don't bought it and haven't paid real close attention to it.

Dilopho

Quote from: Uroplatus on September 06, 2015, 09:53:05 PM
Quote from: Dilopho on September 06, 2015, 09:45:32 PM

Which figures are in it?
I have been seeing something similar come up in some of our local toy stores, i believe the boxes contain a bootleg of Triceratops, T-rex, Dilophosaurus, Velociraptor and some Pterosaur but i'm not sure of the species since i don't bought it and haven't paid real close attention to it.

Yeah, that's it! I found a picture on Ebay:

tyrantqueen

QuoteIf I could find it I'd show you guys a picture, but I recently recieved a box of Safari bootlegs for Christmas (And you thought socks were a bad gift....) and the Triceratops has no eyes at all!

Don't forget the "Pterosaurs" with its removable head. Always a great feature to have :o

Here's the Triceratops by the way. Mine does have a set of eyes, just barely painted on.

terrorchicken

Dilopho

You know your bootleggers are getting desperate when they copy Chap-Mei...

These are the real ones:

I also found these horrid bootlegs:

Is that Yutyrannus our first Rebor bootleg? Alert the rep!

stargatedalek

It's a Papo rex with the REBOR colour scheme.

To be fair most of those Papo bootlegs still have a fair bit of detail.

Dilopho

Quote from: stargatedalek on September 07, 2015, 07:54:21 PM
It's a Papo rex with the REBOR colour scheme.

To be fair most of those Papo bootlegs still have a fair bit of detail.
I own Chinasaurs with more detail. In fact, that stegosaurus up in the top-right corner, if I' not mistaken, is based on a much more detailed chinasaur. Like, seriously- it looks almost real. But it doesn't stand up well due to it's small feet.

Viking Spawn

Those do look bad.  They look like smaller figures you buy as a group in a plastic hanger package.

Sim

Quote from: Dilopho on September 07, 2015, 07:02:27 PM

These are the real ones:

That Chap Mei Tyrannosaurus looks like a knock-off of that small JP3 Tyrannosaurus that kept getting repainted.  Shown above is one of those repaints.

Quote from: Dilopho on September 07, 2015, 09:30:59 PM
I own Chinasaurs with more detail. In fact, that stegosaurus up in the top-right corner, if I' not mistaken, is based on a much more detailed chinasaur. Like, seriously- it looks almost real. But it doesn't stand up well due to it's small feet.

The Stegosaurus in the image you're referring to is a knock-off of the most recent Wild Safari Stegosaurus... ;)

Simon

Is that Yutyrannus our first Rebor bootleg? Alert the rep!

Actually, most of those do not look like bootlegs;  they look like horrid sculpts based on the original figures, not recasts (which would be bootlegs) ...

Takama

Quote from: pylraster on August 25, 2015, 07:00:09 PM
Quote from: Takama on August 24, 2015, 11:38:43 PM
Look what i found at Walmart in the same isle

Better pose! Hahaha! I bought a fake Giga this afternoon too and it has trouble standing. The toes are too soft. Waste of $3 I guess.

Funny thing, The last time i visited They had none of the Bootleged Versions in stock, and there is no place for them anymore in the isle. Maybe they took notice?

Dilopho

Quote from: Sim on September 08, 2015, 01:41:07 AM

These are the real ones:

That Chap Mei Tyrannosaurus looks like a knock-off of that small JP3 Tyrannosaurus that kept getting repainted.  Shown above is one of those repaints.

Quote from: Dilopho on September 07, 2015, 09:30:59 PM

The Stegosaurus in the image you're referring to is a knock-off of the most recent Wild Safari Stegosaurus... ;)

Actually, if I'm not mistaken, the Chap Mei T. rex was sculpted before Jurassic Park 3 came out. But I see what you mean! They're very similar! Maybe JP3 copied Chap Mei? I wouldn't put it past Hasbro- they pretty much ruined JP toylines.

docronnie

I just got this set of bootlegs:

Schleichs:

Papos:

They are all solid. No marks under their bellies.
Keep The Magic Alive and Kicking! :-)

Dilopho

docronnie

You'll not be fooled, it has no marks under the belly.  :)

But they really look and feel like the real thing.  >:D
Keep The Magic Alive and Kicking! :-)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: