News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Do we really need to weed out the bad in every Dino toy company?

Started by Hynerpeton, October 20, 2014, 01:58:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hynerpeton

Not sure if this is in the right spot. If not move this.

Do we really need to go this low? I mean seriously! :(

I am sorry i am just tired of seeing it. :(
Walking With Monsers:
[about Lystrosaurus] Astonishingly, their vast herds make up more than half of all life on Earth. Never again will a single species do so well.

Walking With Monsters: (Hynerpeton) To avoid injury the males demonstrate their strength  in a strange  push up contest.

stargatedalek

its something people should know about, no never mind that, its something people need to know about

ignorance is not bliss for all parties involved

Blade-of-the-Moon

Can you give an example Pre-Dino of what you mean?

DinoLord

I personally like to be informed about such things. In any hobby, it is our responsibility to vote with our wallets so that good companies continue to thrive while bad, unethical ones get their penance. Unethical practices like monopoly or intellectual theft are simply unacceptable.

@Blade: I assume she's referring to the Geoworld plagiarism thread.

Yutyrannus

Quote from: DinoLord on October 20, 2014, 02:20:53 AM
@Blade: I assume she's referring to the Geoworld plagiarism thread.
If so then yes we do need to "weed out the bad". What Geoworld is doing is nothing short of theft, and as I already said I as an artist am very insulted by what they're doing.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Gwangi

Quote from: predino on October 20, 2014, 01:58:15 AM
Not sure if this is in the right spot. If not move this.

Do we really need to go this low? I mean seriously! :(

I am sorry i am just tired of seeing it. :(

Did Geoworld need to go this low? Seriously, I cannot believe you're defending a company for literally stealing the work of other people. So to answer your question...YES, we need to call companies out on unethical practices.

SBell

Like it or not, we, as consumers, have to decide when we cannot support a practice. The extent can vary by person (see the bootleg thread) and of course trying to be conscious of these issues can limit your collection, but you also have to live with yourself.

My hope is that somehow GeoWorld gets wind that people will not stand for their behaviour, and make it right. because I honestly do think that what they are doing with the info cards is unique, is important, and truly elevates the line as an educational tool.

It's not like there aren't a lot of artists that would do work for them--or even require a reasonable one-time fee for use of an image. And maybe throw a credit on there (really, at the minimum, they should do that anyways).

amanda

In cases like this, yes, yes we do. One would say that the forum as an entity has an obligation to. As a site, we cannot support such obvious theft. Collect them if you want. Privately, it's your choice. But as a group we have to condemn this practice. And since a lot of folks pop in for info on the toys and what to buy, I think we must be clear we find this company (and any other knock offs) to be unacceptable. The age where you can do this sort of thing unnoticed has passed.

reinier zwanink

If this goes about copying things than i can talk in experience.
For years i have build model tanks in 1/15 scale and went as fas as making a kit myself of a halftrack
At first i was happy and eurned a little penny but half a year later a copy turned up that was a 100% match and it killed my hobby.
I made every effort to point this out on many sites and a a response the copy was partly altered and rescaled (incorectly and false)
It took me a lot of work to prove this all and make it known everywhere but in the end the kit was dropped
Succes but with a sad end

So to anser your question
Yes pointing out really does needs to be done and works to

Hynerpeton

Walking With Monsers:
[about Lystrosaurus] Astonishingly, their vast herds make up more than half of all life on Earth. Never again will a single species do so well.

Walking With Monsters: (Hynerpeton) To avoid injury the males demonstrate their strength  in a strange  push up contest.

Yutyrannus

Are you saying that you agree with what we've said or simply that we were right about you referring to Geoworld?

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Hynerpeton

I am not agreeing with anything. Just saying my topic is about Geoworld. Maybe try saying things in a less way that sounds mean. Not bully mean. I am sure someone will know what I mean. ;)
Walking With Monsers:

amanda

Ok. Well then look at it like this. Recent criticisms of Rebor and other companies were inded harsh. Not deserved. Could have been worded more politely. Chinasaurs and knockoffs are bad, but usually not marketed by a specific company. Geoworld IS marketing. They are using unauthorized art and figures to make a profit, and doing so with advertising. They ought know better, BE better. The kindest thing I have in my heart to say about them is that they are thieves.

Coming from me that says a LOT. I am....ambiguous morally about some things **cough**. But nothing I do ever garners an exchange of money or marketing. These people are stealing art, marketing it as their own and hoping for places like this forum to support their merchandise. Every "New from" thread we give them, every pic of acquisition, every review cements them as a legitimate customer. Any prospective buyer who pops in can see that and assume they are legit. So, personal collecting....personal choice. Showing pics and/or reviews...fine. But I personally think we must as a site make clear this is NOT desirable from a company. I think any review on the blog involving them needs to point out the transgression. I think identifiable artist's work should be reported to said artist. Making money off of these is wrong.

Like I said, I indulge in some things that are technically wrong too. I am not judging you or anyone for wanting the figures, or for liking them. But you have to accept the wrongness. To stand up and say it is wrong, or not join the conversation, Because there are no friendly words for their actions. Dig?

Paleogene Pals

Hey, stealing is stealing, no matter who does it. So, when it is done, they must be called to the carpet.

Pinkamena

My personal choice, I will be boycotting Geoworld.

I'm a total noob to this forum so I'm not sure how you all work, but if the Forum as a whole decides to boycott Geoworld, and the Forum sends an email to Geoworld to say that they are being boycotted - with reasons and examples why this is happening - then I am more than happy to have my name on the letter, along with any other people who feel the same way.

Slowly running out of room...one toy at a time!

Invicta Wishlist (monochrome) - Plesiosaur, Mamenchisaurus, Dimetrodon, Muttaburrasaurus, Ichthyosaurm, Blue Whale 

SBell

I'll be speaking to the Canadian rep whenever I hear back from her.

That said, I have a bunch of GeoWorld Jurassic Hunters figures in my online store, which puts me at a difficult place; they still cost me money, but I'm not happy with the company's practices. I am thinking that other companies, like Everything Dinosaur and Dejankins, may wind up in a similar quandary.

Maybe I'll just blow them out near cost. I still like the concept and the variety, but I am leery of the company.

I'd consider the mammals (haven't heard anything about those copying artwork, but the figures' images I've seen don't immediately bring to mind any paleomammal artists that I recognize). The marine and other reptiles will be a wait and see--keeping in mind that on the only promo materials that we've seen, they actually include a picture of the Safari Liopleurodon. Now THAT is blatant.

tyrantqueen

Good for you, Pinkamena and SBell.

QuoteMaybe try saying things in a less way that sounds mean. Not bully mean.
I don't think anything said here has been mean. The artists who were ripped off probably have even stronger things to say about the company than we do. They have a right be angry after their work was ripped off. What did you expect?

Hermes888

tyrantqueen

Takama

I will go out and say that I don't think what geoworld is doing is right.

But I can not say that won't stop buying there products.    I will make note of there plagirisim in future reviews.  But I love there range of specis and so far.  No other compney has met my demands in that reguard (not evean collecta)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: