News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA-New for 2015

Started by Concavenator, October 20, 2014, 07:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

It's sad because Peters used to be a very popular and respected paleoartist. He wrote and illustrated a number of superb children's books including Giants and Raptors. I even remember having a calendar done by him.

But for some strange reason, he's decided that he knows more about pterosaur anatomy than paleontologists, and without even examining the fossils first hand.

http://paleoking.blogspot.ca/2011/05/strange-journey-of-david-peters.html?m=1

Getting back to CollectA, I keep forgetting that it is actually their 10th anniversary next year. I wonder if their lineup will consist entirely of all new dinosaurs, or updated versions of old favourites like Triceratops and Stegosaurus. A new Ankylosaurus would also be great.

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Halichoeres

Yeah, for their 10th anniversary, I'd like to see CollectA jettison their first four years of models and release updates. (Suspy, I know you've expressed similar sentiments.)
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

suspsy

Indeed. I am not a businessman and I don't know the first thing about running a toy company, but it just seems strange to me that CollectA continues to produce toys dating all the way back to 2006. Most of those old dinos look downright embarrassing compared to the more recent masterpieces.

I really do have a strong suspicion that we're going to get a new Deluxe Deinocheirus based on the latest reconstruction. Or perhaps it's just more wishful thinking. We shall see.:)

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Yeah, especially considering the way they rushed out that Spinosaurus! That was frankly an incredible effort an the part of the sculptor to have 3 different (good looking!) models churned out within a year of the discovery. I'm sure that we will see something similar with the Deinocheirus. Even if it doesn't show up next year, I think we can safely assume it's practically guaranteed by2017.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: suspsy on August 29, 2015, 09:19:26 PM
Indeed. I am not a businessman and I don't know the first thing about running a toy company, but it just seems strange to me that CollectA continues to produce toys dating all the way back to 2006. Most of those old dinos look downright embarrassing compared to the more recent masterpieces.

I really do have a strong suspicion that we're going to get a new Deluxe Deinocheirus based on the latest reconstruction. Or perhaps it's just more wishful thinking. We shall see.:)

I totally agree with you about the first figures suspsy Dinosaur Collecta the vast majority are ashamed. By the way I think I should make a new Deinocheirus next year based on recent discoveries, for two reasons:

1) These discoveries have shown how different the Deinocheirus against initial assumptions having found no more than the front legs.

2) Moreover, the actual figure Deinocheirus although a good figure, suffers from a worrying defect is not supported on a base. In fact I keep the plastic base where this figure was packed to prevent falls from my shelf.

Bokisaurus

Well well, look who finally arrived ^-^
I have to say, the more I look at this figure, the more I actually like it. It has some character for sure, more so than the rest, IMHO. The articulated jaws I was not sure before, but having seen it in person now, I'm impressed by how well it was put together, not like Papo's, but very well done.
[

Head shot, well sculpted teeth ;)
[
Makes a great pair, yes? Arco is much slimmer than the other, and also slightly smaller in size.
[

With the Wild Safari and Battat ( repainted) Acro's
[

A little family photo op, cheers!
[]

Simon

Looks to me that if someone transplanted the WS Acros hands and feet onto the Collecta Acro, then repainted it in a more natural color, they would have themselves one hey of a cool model!

Shonisaurus

Of course I agree that eerily recalls the Carcharodontosaurus Acrocanthosaurus. For me it is the weak figure of this impressive year with Collecta.

While acknowledging that his jaw is better than closing the Papo in the sense that you can open and close smoothly that I know him. Papo makes extraordinary animals but remember that most theropod although the most fabulous market in relation to the jaws are always given him. So whenever I bought excellent and hyperrealistic figures articulated jaws Papo them I do not usually open his mouth so referred to above.

That has not happened with the Acrocanthosaurus of Collecta whose jaws can be articulated without any problem, it may be by the rubber material they're made from my humble point of view yes, less noble and other companies finished toy dinosaurs . Without this they are figures quite clearly today a superior to that of both previous years and artistically paleontological quality.

Concavenator

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Very nice family portraits, Bokisaurus! I always appreciate when forum members post comparison pictures like that. BTW, what is that pterosaur model in your 4th pic of the Collecta Acro?

Jetoar

It is a beautiful figure personally  ;).
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Halichoeres

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on September 04, 2015, 04:34:36 AM
Very nice family portraits, Bokisaurus! I always appreciate when forum members post comparison pictures like that. BTW, what is that pterosaur model in your 4th pic of the Collecta Acro?
Forgive me for answering a question I wasn't asked, but that's the Colorata Quetzalcoatlus from the Cretaceous Volume 1 box.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Shonisaurus on September 01, 2015, 03:25:52 PM
Quote from: suspsy on August 29, 2015, 09:19:26 PM

I totally agree with you about the first figures suspsy Dinosaur Collecta the vast majority are ashamed. By the way I think I should make a new Deinocheirus next year based on recent discoveries, for two reasons:

1) These discoveries have shown how different the Deinocheirus against initial assumptions having found no more than the front legs.

2) Moreover, the actual figure Deinocheirus although a good figure, suffers from a worrying defect is not supported on a base. In fact I keep the plastic base where this figure was packed to prevent falls from my shelf.

I think any company would be foolish not to do a Deinocheirus! There's always the problem of new dinosaurs being basically the same but with slightly different skull profiles or horn arrangements, etc. It's not often that totally new body plans are found among dinosaurs, and we've had several over the past couple of years. Deinocheirus, Spinosaurus, Yi, etc. I'd also love to see somebody tackle some of the "hippo-saurs" that nobody seems to ever have tried, like Anchiceratops and Lurdusaurus. Same-y boring heads, but very unique body proportions.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

SBell

I thought I'd throw some comparison pictures up of the new Tube Figures. Some of them didn't come out as clear as I could have made them, but ya'll will get the gist.

And there are two new dino genera! Not just the Apatosaurus, but a Giganotosaurus as well!

Tube 1:

Baryonyx (based on the Deluxe, I only have the standard)

Mosasaurus (based on last year's standard figure--a personal favorite, and a good year for mosasaurs with flukes, including the new Kaiyodo and the Jurassic World mini figures):

Diplodocus (again, based on last year's model, although similar to the new Daxiatitan):

Kentrosaurus (compared with the standard model):

Parasaurolophus (based loosely on the Deluxe figure, which I don't have, so it is compared to the newer standard model):

Pachycephalosaurus (compared to the Standard model)

Pteranodon (again, based on the deluxe, and I don't have it--so it is compared to the standard collection model)

(it doesn't show up well, but the tube figure has translucent wings!)

Stegosaurus (probably based on the deluxe, again, don't have it--but I do have the original standard):

Triceratops (I think the pose is based on the Deluxe model, which I actually have, but I included the standard as well)

Tyrannosaurus (based on this year's Feathered Adult, which I don't have yet. So I compared it to the more recent standard T.rex with prey, and the newer juvennile with a similar colour pattern)

Tube 2:

Amargasaurus (based on the Deluxe, don't have it, so compared to the standard model)

Ankylosaurus (based on the deluxe, which I don't have, so I used the standard model)

Apatosaurus (the closest comparison might be the newer Safari Apatosaurus, but I'm using the CollectA models, so I used the Alamosaurus--it's broadly similar in design)

Brachiosaurus (appears based on the standard model, although the deluxe is pretty similar anyway)

Giganotosaurus (the other unique one--although I'll admit I originally thought it was based on the deluxe figure of the closely related Carcharodontosaurus. I also included the other big relative, the standard Mapusaurus)

Liopleurodon (could only be based on the standard model. The odd thing is how small it is, given how big the Mosasaurus figure is)

Quetzalcoatlus (based on the two azdharchids from CollectA--it is sculpted and coloured like the Standard Quetzalcoatlus, but lacks the prey-in-mouth like the Hatzegopteryx, so I included both).

Spinosaurus (based on the forthcoming modern-reconstruction walking pose figure. Obviously I don't have one yet, so it is compared to the first standard-model attempt by CollectA, in both colours. This original is not a good figure).

I am really looking forward to the larger versions of this figure!

Torosaurus (with the Standard figure)

Velociraptor (based on the Deluxe version, which I don't have. I also don't have the standard model. So it is compared to the standard Utahraptor, which is similar)

suspsy

Wow. Those minis easily beat the tar out of Papo's! How much are the toobs?

Meso-Cenozoic

Thanks for the comparison shots, SBell. I've had mine on pre-order for some time. I'm excited to finally see them in hand this Fall! Hoping not to sound too much like a squealing little school girl, but that little mini Dippy is just too cute! Haha!

As far as Papo's Mini Tub #2, until we actually see these guys in person, it's really not too fair to prejudge them. I was pleasantly surprised with last year's Mini Tub. They looked so much better in person than in their proto pics. The minute amount of details they got on those tiny figures are pretty impressive!

Roselaar

Quote from: Meso-Cenozoic on September 06, 2015, 06:41:48 AM

As far as Papo's Mini Tub #2, until we actually see these guys in person, it's really not too fair to prejudge them. I was pleasantly surprised with last year's Mini Tub. They looked so much better in person than in their proto pics. The minute amount of details they got on those tiny figures are pretty impressive!

I saw them in person and left them at the store. They're fun, but not good. On the same level as last year's, which is far removed from the higher quality of Collecta's new minisaurs.

suspsy

I've examined Papo Toob #1 and found it to be disappointing. Toob #2 looks about the same. These CollectAs, however, look fantastic.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quite impressed with these minis...was it said these are actually the contents of two toobs or one? I will be getting them..in particular I am rather taken with the small Dippy, and will be wanting that for sure.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

DinoG

Anybody knows when the Collecta tubes come out?
Run!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: