News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Battat - New for 2015

Started by DinoLord, October 25, 2014, 11:16:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lusotitan

The Gastonia is gorgeous. Gigantoraptor is a bit on the innacurate side for my taste, thought.

stargatedalek

I wouldn't say the gigantoraptor is inaccurate. Perhaps a tad speculative in that it has a bare underside and small wings, but that doesn't make it inaccurate. Speaking of which I have a question for Dan Loruso regarding the wings; from the photo its impossible to tell where they start, do they start at the middle finger, and if so how far along its length? (sorry if this has already been answered)

Lusotitan

Quote from: stargatedalek on December 26, 2014, 01:37:46 AM
I wouldn't say the gigantoraptor is inaccurate. Perhaps a tad speculative in that it has a bare underside and small wings, but that doesn't make it inaccurate. Speaking of which I have a question for Dan Loruso regarding the wings; from the photo its impossible to tell where they start, do they start at the middle finger, and if so how far along its length? (sorry if this has already been answered)

Beyond the wings and lack of enough feathers, there are teeth, and it's lacking a pygostyle.

stargatedalek

Actually the teeth are accurate, it has two fang like teeth in the upper jaw as it should. As for a pygostyle, for one I can't imagine how you could possibly tell whether it was present on a fleshed out model, and secondly I highly doubt it would be present on gigantoraptor given the oldest species know to have one is Hongshanornis longicresta.

loru1588

The only factor that Battat has over the creation of the sculpts is size, at this point ( 5" to 7" ) I pick the dinosaur, pose, color pattern.

triceratops83

Quote from: loru1588 on December 26, 2014, 02:23:27 AM
The only factor that Battat has over the creation of the sculpts is size, at this point ( 5" to 7" ) I pick the dinosaur, pose, color pattern.

Thanks! Sounds like a great company to work for!
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

loru1588

Quote from: stargatedalek on December 26, 2014, 02:16:00 AM
Actually the teeth are accurate, it has two fang like teeth in the upper jaw as it should. As for a pygostyle, for one I can't imagine how you could possibly tell whether it was present on a fleshed out model, and secondly I highly doubt it would be present on gigantoraptor given the oldest species know to have one is Hongshanornis longicresta.
Thank you again stargatedalek, answered as I would have! All that is known of Gigantoraptor is the lower jaw and some small fragmentary pieces. So, this as well as if it were completely covered in feathers, educated speculation at this point in time.

Concavenator

Dan,are we close to see the new models?Your Nasutoceratops will be my very first Battat model (if turns out well,and I'm  sure it will).It surprised me that the Pemtaceratops and Europasaurus were showed off so early in comparision.

Lusotitan

Quote from: loru1588 on December 26, 2014, 02:23:27 AM

Wait, wasn't toothlessness and pygostyle already present in basal Caenagnathoidea?

Gwangi

Quote from: Concavenator on December 26, 2014, 08:40:58 PM
Dan,are we close to see the new models?Your Nasutoceratops will be my very first Battat model (if turns out well,and I'm  sure it will).It surprised me that the Pemtaceratops and Europasaurus were showed off so early in comparision.

You seem to ask him about that a lot. Be patient! We're all excited but when they're ready, he'll show us, don't worry.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Lusotitan on December 26, 2014, 09:07:23 PMWait, wasn't toothlessness and pygostyle already present in basal Caenagnathoidea?
(partial) toothlessness in oviraptoridae is presumably convergent with birds and not directly related, and thus not something found throughout maniraptora
as for pygostyle, dinosaurs were flying before they had those ;)

suspsy

The head and tail on that Gigantoraptor looks slightly too large to my eye. Don't get me wrong, it's a great sculpting job and goodness knows the world needs more feathered dinosaur awareness, but when I first laid eyes on that image, I took it to be an Oviraptor.

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

DinoLord

I'd wait until we have more shots of the figure before judging the proportions. Also I imagine the tail on the real animal would be larger than that of the skeletal given the plumage. And keep in mind not all of the members of a genus will have the exact same proportions; just look at the differences b/w T. rex Stan and Sue for an example.

loru1588

Quote from: suspsy on December 26, 2014, 11:04:22 PM
The head and tail on that Gigantoraptor looks slightly too large to my eye. Don't get me wrong, it's a great sculpting job and goodness knows the world needs more feathered dinosaur awareness, but when I first laid eyes on that image, I took it to be an Oviraptor.

The last inch or so on the tail is all feathers. The head is speculative because all they have is the lower jaw ( as I mentioned before). I put a crest on it for sexual dimorphism ( it's a boy!!!) after consulting with several paleontologists. I used the skeletal drawing you posted as my guideline. Once I add the Keratin to the beak and flesh out the head it will be bigger than the skull. I do my best not to "shrink wrap".

As for unveiling ANY other models, ONLY when they are in Battats' possession and have begun production will I post pics!

stargatedalek

Does the presence of a crest really make it male? Last I knew both sexes had crests in smaller relatives like citipati. When I pick one up it will probably be a brooding mother, brood patch and all!

Rathalosaurus

Quote from: Lusotitan on December 26, 2014, 01:16:52 AM
The Gastonia is gorgeous. Gigantoraptor is a bit on the innacurate side for my taste, thought.
Where can I see some  pictures of these? ???
Dude, I very like Dinos and I cannot understand those who don't.

triceratops83

In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Rathalosaurus

Damn it. My freaking computer cannot display the Gigantoraptor image. >:(

triceratops83

Use Google images, it pops up straight away, the same images we had.

Rathalosaurus

Okay. I've seen him. Looks nice.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: