News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

REBOR 1:35 Tyrannosaurus rex museum class replica official photos updated!

Started by REBOR_STUDIO, October 30, 2014, 04:46:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Everything_Dinosaur

Quote from: Meso-Cenozoic on November 21, 2014, 03:33:04 AM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on November 18, 2014, 09:01:52 AM
Quote from: amanda on November 18, 2014, 12:30:42 AM
I am tempted to agree with TQ. All the way down to the stupid feet. I'd say it is very similar indeed, but then REBOR might PM me again. It is always so bracing to find the companies have written you to set you straight. (not joking)
I'm trying to say this without being harsh....hmm. Personally it frustrates me a little bit. They are asking $40 for this model but it's not even a hundred percent original. And yes, the previous Yutyrannus was undeniably similar to the Papo Allo.

The only thing I can say again is this- Rebor, I implore you to attempt to be more original with your sculpts instead of taking the easy way out and copying another artist's sculpts. You're only just starting out in this field so you have much potential for the future :)

I know this topic has been done to death but I assume that Rebor want feedback on their stuff from us forumites, otherwise they would not have bothered to post here.

According to REBOR's site they posted earlier here where they're selling these first two figures, the T.rex is $64.99 USD and the Yutyrannis is $39.99 USD. But the markup for retail stores seems like it will be quite a bit more. For example, Megalosaurus had mentioned that "Everything Dinosaur is going to be selling the Y.Rex in a few days, the price is unbeatable." Unfortunately when I checked Everything Dinosaur, I found they're selling the Y.rex for 32.99 GBP, or $51.79 USD!

So for US buyers, I recommend getting them direct from this site that REBOR posted...
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/menu.aspx?menu=2206&category=6143

And personally, I don't think REBOR started posting here to get our feedback. This place is a goldmine for prospective new buyers. We're a sitting duck for new companies looking to build their clientele! 8)

Everything Dinosaur here, just a point worth remembering with every model collector who lives outside the European Union.  When we set up our company, the best part of ten years ago we took the opportunity to establish the business as a VAT registered business.  Once you get to a certain size it is a legal obligation anyway here in the UK.  What does all this mean to dinosaur model fans who live outside the European Union?  Simply this, as Everything Dinosaur is VAT registered, you, as a non-EU resident do not have to pay the sales tax. VAT in the UK is currently 20%.  In essence, the price of any item purchased from Everything Dinosaur by a non-EU resident is actually 20% lower than the list price.  The shopping carts that we use on our website  identify the location of the purchaser during the check out process, sales tax is automatically deducted which means in the case of the Rebor Y-REX, it does not cost $51.79 USD to purchase but for non-EU residents it costs $51.79 USD minus 20% - around about $41.43 USD.  We at Everything Dinosaur can't take responsibility for global currency fluctuations, but we think it is worth making this point.

Lithographica

I wish people would consider things a little more deeply before using this forum to accuse toy manufacturers of plagiarism. Plagiarism, or intellectual property theft, is a very serious crime, and accusing someone of it is a very serious allegation to make. In the real world, (where people have to use their real names), you could be charged with libel or slander if you made such accusations without absolutely indisputable factual evidence.

I'd like to make a couple of points about the allegations of "dinosaur plagiarism" that have been voiced on this forum. Firstly, in evolutionary terms the theropod dinosaurs were a deeply conservative group... or to put it another way, all theropods pretty-much look the same! Now obviously I'm exaggerating a little here for comic effect, but essentially all theropods are bipedal, with a big skull, sharp teeth, little arms, long tail... you get the idea. Obviously, there are only so many ways that you can pose a reconstruction of such an animal without repeating a pose that someone, somewhere has done before.

There are only so many ways that you can put bends in a tail for example. This is especially so for models (as opposed to drawings and paintings). Because they are three dimensional, most of us like models that look well no matter what side we view them from. This constraint tends to mean that the tail has to be more-or-less in line with the backbone.... if it swings too dramatically to one side, you tend to get a good visual effect from one side, but at the expense of lessening the visual impact from the other. The same is true of the angling the head. So to post a photograph of two models in profile, and to suggest that similarities in the curvature of pose indicates plagiarism, is misguided and deeply unfair to the manufacturing artist. It is especially unfair to post such comparative shots from one angle only; the visually striking "plagiarism" may well disappear when viewed from an alternative angle. Again I stress that any two theropod models are going to share many similarities when viewed in profile. You could say exactly the same things about toy elephants for example... There are only so many ways you can pose the trunk on a toy elephant!

To use similarities in colour scheme as the basis for allegations of "plagiarism" is even worse. In principle, the number of possible colour schemes for dinosaur restorations is infinite - for example a pink tyrannosaur with a bright green head and fluorescent yellow spotting in the shape of hearts (by the way, if anyone ever produces such a restoration I'll know they totally stole my idea!  :))). In reality of course, the colour options available to dinosaur figure manufacturers are far more limited, because to be commercially viable, they need a "safe" colour scheme that the maximum number of buyers will find attractive and plausible. Hence, there's a much more limited diversity of colour schemes for theropods that buyers will accept as realistic - "camouflage" green and its variations, "devil" red-brown and its variations, "sinister" black-grey and its variations, etc. How many reconstructions have there been of theropods? (a search for "Tyrannosaurus" in Google images or deviant-art gives some indication). Given this, how likely is it that the colour scheme for any "new" theropod reconstruction will bear something of a passing resemblance to something someone, somewhere has done before? It's not only likely - it's virtually inevitable.     

In any civil society, all of us are entitled to the presumption of innocence until proven guilty. Plagiarism is a very serious crime, akin to fraud and graft - at the very least, it's a deeply insulting accusation to make of any artist. It's never an accusation that should be made causally or on tenuous grounds. Before using a term like "plagiarism" please think carefully about whether it's really justified, fair or constructive to do so.

Thanks - I'll get off my soapbox now!  ^-^

sauroid

for the record/to be fair, not all members of the DTF are dissing Rebor for the "inaccuracy" and "unoriginality" of their debut figures... there are members here (myself included) who are happy to see this new company and what they have to offer.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

tyrantqueen

QuoteBefore using a term like "plagiarism" please think carefully about whether it's really justified, fair or constructive to do so.

Actually I never used the word "plagiarism". I simply think there has been a lot of heavy referencing from other sculpts. Nothing illegal as such, just a lack of originality. There is nothing wrong with that (from a technical point of view), but it would be nice to see them do their own thing instead of copying.

And also, colour schemes were never brought up either. I personally think it's a good idea to link back to the original artist if you borrow someone else's colours, but that's just me. I do not think you can copyright something as trivial as a colour scheme, there need to be more similarities than that.

To Rebor Studio's credit, their colours are pretty much original, which is good.

Meso-Cenozoic

Quote from: Everything_Dinosaur on November 21, 2014, 10:42:13 AM
Quote from: Meso-Cenozoic on November 21, 2014, 03:33:04 AM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on November 18, 2014, 09:01:52 AM
Quote from: amanda on November 18, 2014, 12:30:42 AM
I am tempted to agree with TQ. All the way down to the stupid feet. I'd say it is very similar indeed, but then REBOR might PM me again. It is always so bracing to find the companies have written you to set you straight. (not joking)
I'm trying to say this without being harsh....hmm. Personally it frustrates me a little bit. They are asking $40 for this model but it's not even a hundred percent original. And yes, the previous Yutyrannus was undeniably similar to the Papo Allo.

The only thing I can say again is this- Rebor, I implore you to attempt to be more original with your sculpts instead of taking the easy way out and copying another artist's sculpts. You're only just starting out in this field so you have much potential for the future :)

I know this topic has been done to death but I assume that Rebor want feedback on their stuff from us forumites, otherwise they would not have bothered to post here.

According to REBOR's site they posted earlier here where they're selling these first two figures, the T.rex is $64.99 USD and the Yutyrannis is $39.99 USD. But the markup for retail stores seems like it will be quite a bit more. For example, Megalosaurus had mentioned that "Everything Dinosaur is going to be selling the Y.Rex in a few days, the price is unbeatable." Unfortunately when I checked Everything Dinosaur, I found they're selling the Y.rex for 32.99 GBP, or $51.79 USD!

So for US buyers, I recommend getting them direct from this site that REBOR posted...
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/menu.aspx?menu=2206&category=6143

And personally, I don't think REBOR started posting here to get our feedback. This place is a goldmine for prospective new buyers. We're a sitting duck for new companies looking to build their clientele! 8)

Everything Dinosaur here, just a point worth remembering with every model collector who lives outside the European Union.  When we set up our company, the best part of ten years ago we took the opportunity to establish the business as a VAT registered business.  Once you get to a certain size it is a legal obligation anyway here in the UK.  What does all this mean to dinosaur model fans who live outside the European Union?  Simply this, as Everything Dinosaur is VAT registered, you, as a non-EU resident do not have to pay the sales tax. VAT in the UK is currently 20%.  In essence, the price of any item purchased from Everything Dinosaur by a non-EU resident is actually 20% lower than the list price.  The shopping carts that we use on our website  identify the location of the purchaser during the check out process, sales tax is automatically deducted which means in the case of the Rebor Y-REX, it does not cost $51.79 USD to purchase but for non-EU residents it costs $51.79 USD minus 20% - around about $41.43 USD.  We at Everything Dinosaur can't take responsibility for global currency fluctuations, but we think it is worth making this point.

Thank you, Everything Dinosaur. Really helpful info I didn't know before! I'll have to reconsider shopping in your store now. Hehe! There have been some figures I've seen there that I've had a problem finding over here. I guess I still have to consider what the shipping from there to here would add up to be. But I am on our east coast in the NYC area. So probably one of the closest of our areas to you! ;D

Megalosaurus

Quote from: Everything_Dinosaur on November 21, 2014, 10:42:13 AM
[...]In essence, the price of any item purchased from Everything Dinosaur by a non-EU resident is actually 20% lower than the list price.[...]
That's true, I always compare prices before purchasing my models, and most of the time I end purchasing from E.D.
And there's another reason: I dont know why, but shipping from the UK to México is cheaper than shipping from the USA, I think this stays true to all latinamerican countries.
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

Everything_Dinosaur

Confirmation that Everything Dinosaur will be stocking the Rebor 1:35 scale Tyrannosaurus rex replica.  We are expecting stock into our warehouse in about 10 days or thereabouts, more details can be found here:Everything Dinosaur commits to T-REX replica

As model collectors ourselves, we don't believe in pre-ordering, especially at this time of year when deliveries of stock into warehousing can be subject to delays with containers etc.

Not even got a price as yet from our boss (Tyrannosaurus Sue) but details on how to express an interest about acquiring this model can be found in our blog article.

Carnosaur

While I'll agree the Rebor dinosaurs look great.
I can't justify paying their high prices for figures that don't really look any better than Papo's offerings.
Papo's dinosaurs are just as nicely sculpted and cost half as much.
Unless they can make the prices more resaonable I'll stick with Papo, Safari, and CollectA.

Arul

Maybe its because rebor product are including the diorama/base ? Or other reason maybe i dont know hehehe

Megalosaurus

tyrantqueen

Pachyrhinosaurus

If the skull weren't so JP-esque, I'd buy it. Also disappointed at the lack of red in the final product.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Arul

Awesomeee :D im getting very interested right now  ;D video always explain better than picture for sure, of course

Megalosaurus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on November 27, 2014, 01:16:12 AM
Lol at 1.31.
Lol. Yea. A cool review.

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on November 27, 2014, 02:06:32 AM
If the skull weren't so JP-esque, I'd buy it. Also disappointed at the lack of red in the final product.
I actually like the clearer color of the model, but I prefer not to have the JP like head (Papo resemblance). Perhaps we can cut the head and paste the one from new Carnegie one.

Quote from: ARUL on November 27, 2014, 02:58:17 AM
Awesomeee :D im getting very interested right now  ;D video always explain better than picture for sure, of course
I grow in interest also when I saw the video.

SommoDracorex

tyrantqueen

tanystropheus

I might be interested in picking this up in the future. I think it will go well with my 5 Papo Rexes. I also hope that Papo makes a Diabolus Rex.

Concavenator

Quote from: tanystropheus on November 29, 2014, 09:00:14 AM
I might be interested in picking this up in the future. I think it will go well with my 5 Papo Rexes. I also hope that Papo makes a Diabolus Rex.
For real?  ;D It's not a dinosaur!

Arul

Quote from: Dinomike on November 29, 2014, 01:37:32 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on November 27, 2014, 01:16:12 AM
Lol at 1.31.

Haha! A very funny review!

Yeah what i love from big bad toy review is because its full of joke, it make me never bored to wacth it many times  :D

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: