You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Triceratops83's Ornithischians- Rebirth from page 14

Started by triceratops83, December 13, 2014, 04:45:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

triceratops83

Quote from: Shonisaurus on April 25, 2020, 11:35:02 AM
Nice collection of ornithopods is very complete I congratulate you on your collection
Thanks, there's still a couple of oldies on my wishlist, though.

Quote from: Justin_ on April 25, 2020, 04:01:06 PM
Who makes are the palms on the left of the Maastrichtian scene? In fact, can you list all the plants there plus the baobabs in Skull Island.
Are those palms growing by the road in the background of your outdoor photos?

All the toy trees are by Collecta, except for the tree fern on Skull Island, which is by Safari. Behind the Cretaceous Dinosaurs are a Cococnut Palm and a couple of Ginkgo Bilobas. The Baobabs are also Collecta and scattered about are the Collecta Williamsonia and Monanthesia Cycads. The big ones outdoor are Travelling or Traveller's palms. They can grow quite tall and hold heaps of water.

Quote from: ceratopsian on April 25, 2020, 04:32:37 PM
Good to see you back with a renewed interest.

Thanks, I've stuck around all this time, but never felt really involved. Having a new image hosting site will be really useful - Had I been using one I would have at least joined in on the "Spring Is In The Air" thread. There's always good nature photos to be had here.

Quote from: Jose S.M. on April 25, 2020, 05:28:11 PM
I love ornithopods, the Anatotitan and Parasaurolophus models are beautiful!

Thanks! I've always liked those colours on the Tamiya Parasaurolophus.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Halichoeres

I'm so glad to see this thread revived! I like ornithopods as a thematic focus, such elegant animals. Your Tamiya pieces turned out very nicely, I think I detect some antelope influence on the palette.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

triceratops83

Quote from: Halichoeres on April 26, 2020, 03:35:55 PM
I'm so glad to see this thread revived! I like ornithopods as a thematic focus, such elegant animals. Your Tamiya pieces turned out very nicely, I think I detect some antelope influence on the palette.

Thanks, Halichoeres! Yeah, it was either a Thompson's Gazelle or Springbok behind those Tamiya kits. I might stick with an Antelope theme if I get more kits.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Faelrin

What a beautiful collection of ornithopods you have there. It's really cool to see all of those figures I'm familiar with (and yet many I still have yet to acquire), and how they all size up among each other. I really do like the dioramas with the CollectA, etc plants you have as well. I'm also way behind on ordering any of those (I only have the Safari Ltd ones).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

triceratops83

Quote from: Faelrin on April 26, 2020, 11:34:23 PM
What a beautiful collection of ornithopods you have there. It's really cool to see all of those figures I'm familiar with (and yet many I still have yet to acquire), and how they all size up among each other. I really do like the dioramas with the CollectA, etc plants you have as well. I'm also way behind on ordering any of those (I only have the Safari Ltd ones).

Thanks, Faelrin. I'll start taking better photos of each and post 'em this weekend. I've kinda come around full circle to my childhood - Parasaurolophus was my favourite as a kid. Although I always considered Triceratops the bravest and wisest 'cause it could beat Tyrannosaurus!

Concavenator

I like ornithopods, actually. They're beautiful animals. As dinosaurs, I find them more interesting than ceratopsians (I still like them though) because there are no modern day animals that look like them. Ceratopsians and bulls, buffalos, and so on, look very much alike to me. Nasutoceratops is basically a bull with a frill and with a longer, fleshy tail.

triceratops83

Quote from: Concavenator on April 28, 2020, 10:14:55 PM
I like ornithopods, actually. They're beautiful animals. As dinosaurs, I find them more interesting than ceratopsians (I still like them though) because there are no modern day animals that look like them. Ceratopsians and bulls, buffalos, and so on, look very much alike to me. Nasutoceratops is basically a bull with a frill and with a longer, fleshy tail.

I think Ornithopods more than any other dinosaur (aside maybe for the smallest theropods) would make the best pets. Most households could accommodate a Lesothosaurus or Hypsilophodon, I probably have enough room where I live to keep a smaller Hadrosaur like Maiasaura.

triceratops83

Pretty big, image heavy post coming up. This is the bulk of my collection.

Monochrome oldies - Marx and Invicta.

Carnegie

Wild Safari

Schleich

Bullyland and Battat

Mojo - I don't know why I bothered with the Para, it's basically an expensive chinasaur.

Kinto Favorite

Geoworld for some reason.

Papo. I've never noticed the Para's wonky leg before.

Collecta deluxe

Collecta normal. ABSENT - baby parasaurolophus - knew I'd forget something.

Toyway

Australian Age of Dinosaurs

PNSO small

PNSO vinyl - the Shantungosaurus is so frustrating - a quadrupedal figure that won't stand up.

WWD - forgot the brand name.

Kaiyodo

Wild Republic (left) and two Science and Nature

Miniature Planet? Maiasaura. Don't know anything about these, but there's a bunch from a Japanese seller on Ebay.

Jurassic Park/World.

My tributes to the ungettable Favorite Saurolophus. On the right is the Kanna Dinosaur centre one. Anyone guess what the other is?

Dino Horizons

Tudor Mint Triceratops - the only Trike I kept from my old collection.

And two underappreciated figures I really like. No one ever seemed into that rex, and I love the retro Stegosaurus.

Well, that's the bulk of it. I'll post some more pics further on down the track.

Flaffy

That Kanna saurolophus is a real beauty. I wonder if it's still available.

And thanks for compiling all of these ornithopods! Pretty depressing seeing how many Parasaurolophus there are, hopefully a BotM line of ornithopods can increase the diversity a bit.

triceratops83

Quote from: Flaffy on May 04, 2020, 08:05:37 AM
That Kanna saurolophus is a real beauty. I wonder if it's still available.

And thanks for compiling all of these ornithopods! Pretty depressing seeing how many Parasaurolophus there are, hopefully a BotM line of ornithopods can increase the diversity a bit.

There is another Kanna Saurolophus sculpt as well, it's somewhat larger than this one, but not as nice, I think.

I suppose I better start a fund in case there IS a BotM Ornithopod series in the future, although that should be while down the road.

Flaffy

Quote from: triceratops83 on May 04, 2020, 08:16:06 AM
although that should be while down the road.
Yeah, especially with all the official and unofficial projects that are TBD / on the backburner:
- Large dromaeosaurs
- "scrapped" ceratopsians (I'd buy the heck out of those 1/18 basal ones)
- Dragons

Personally hope the next main series after the Tyrannosaurs are Ornithopods, though I wonder if there's enough demand for splitting the series into Hadrosaurids and Iguanodonts. Would love to see some more Rhabodont representation in the toy market.
Either way, alternating between a series of carnivores and a series of herbivores is the best course of action imo to keep things fresh. However, I get the feeling that David is considering a Sauropod series instead.

triceratops83

Quote from: Flaffy on May 04, 2020, 08:28:33 AM
Personally hope the next main series after the Tyrannosaurs are Ornithopods, though I wonder if there's enough demand for splitting the series into Hadrosaurids and Iguanodonts. Would love to see some more Rhabodont representation in the toy market.
Either way, alternating between a series of carnivores and a series of herbivores is the best course of action imo to keep things fresh. However, I get the feeling that David is considering a Sauropod series instead.

I wonder what scale the Sauropods would be? They'd have to be big to be truly impressive. Also, it'd be interesting to know if the necks would be articulated like a NECA Godzilla tail or just have up and down motion like a DinoRider, movable at the shoulder and head only.

I would think that, as much as I'd hate to admit it, there wouldn't be the demand required to split up Ornithopods into different groups. But still, it'd be quite the assortment anyway - there'd have to be a Rhabdodont of some kind. Whatever they decide on I'm on board - Even if I have to devote an entire bookcase towards BotM.

ceratopsian

I enjoyed browsing the photos of your excellent collection.

My vinyl PNSO Shantungosaurus doesn't stand unaided either.  Quite rare for a quadrupedal model!  I have a little brachiopod fossil under its foreleg and with that support it's perfectly stable.  My Mandschurosaurus also needs a bit of help and leans slightly against a hunk of fossiliferous rock.

I have a particular soft spot for the Kanna Center Saurolophus.  There's something really pleasing about the colours and pattern.

Shonisaurus

Nice collection of ornithopods, it's a shame that they only make lambeosaurid hadrosaurids massively parasaurolophus with the exceptions we know in the toy market.

triceratops83

Quote from: ceratopsian on May 04, 2020, 11:39:26 AM
My vinyl PNSO Shantungosaurus doesn't stand unaided either.  Quite rare for a quadrupedal model!  I have a little brachiopod fossil under its foreleg and with that support it's perfectly stable.  My Mandschurosaurus also needs a bit of help and leans slightly against a hunk of fossiliferous rock.

I have a particular soft spot for the Kanna Center Saurolophus.  There's something really pleasing about the colours and pattern.

My Mandschurosaurus doesn't stand either, (it's held up with blu tac in that photo) but being bipedal it has an excuse at least.

Yeah, that Kanna Saurolophus is a suitable stand in for the favorite one. It doesn't bug me not having the Favorite now.

Quote from: Shonisaurus on May 04, 2020, 02:09:01 PM
Nice collection of ornithopods, it's a shame that they only make lambeosaurid hadrosaurids massively parasaurolophus with the exceptions we know in the toy market.

Hopefully we won't get a Parasaur for a while. But maybe we'll get a whole bunch of Charonosaurus instead  ::)

ITdactyl

That Marx happy "trachodon".... i miss my Marxsaurs.

Thanks for sharing these photos. It's about time this part of the family tree got the spotlight. On that note, photo booth shots are nice but dino toys lend well to sunlit shots too, as you've fully showcased.

Halichoeres

Really nice collection. I like the Favorite Series 1 Para modified into a Saurolophus, did you do that yourself?

The Miniature Planet line is by a company called Eikoh--you might know this already, but they also make an Olorotitan: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=8093.0
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

triceratops83

Quote from: ITdactyl on May 05, 2020, 01:14:43 AM
Thanks for sharing these photos. It's about time this part of the family tree got the spotlight. On that note, photo booth shots are nice but dino toys lend well to sunlit shots too, as you've fully showcased.

I find, with my camera at least, that sunlight offers the most crisp, clear shots. You'll notice a couple of these photos are a bit blurrier where the cloud cover has obviously darkened the shot. And anything I shoot indoors just looks meh at best.

Quote from: Halichoeres on May 05, 2020, 03:47:49 AM
Really nice collection. I like the Favorite Series 1 Para modified into a Saurolophus, did you do that yourself?

The Miniature Planet line is by a company called Eikoh--you might know this already, but they also make an Olorotitan: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=8093.0

Heh, yeah I just whittled down the crest of the Favorite Para and repainted it in Saurolophus colours. I tried like hell to bend the neck up with hot water treatment, but it just wasn't gonna happen.

Eikoh, huh? Thanks for letting me know, it's an interesting line. They had a few Ornithopods but I didn't order any more because of the pandemic. I'll have to get the rest when everything settles down.

Libraraptor

Impressive comeback of this thread! I´ll be following it with high interest.

Shonisaurus

avatar_triceratops83 @triceratops83 By the way, as you mentioned that we will have charonosaurus in their place, are there rumors that charonosaurus will be produced in the toy market? Do you still mean the possible PNSO charonosaurus? I wish it were so.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: