News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo - New for 2015

Started by DinoLord, December 18, 2014, 09:37:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tanystropheus

While what you say is true, Papo dinosaurs, as a whole, can not be regarded as sci-fi or movie monsters. That is an oversimplification of sorts.

The Papo Carnotaurus and Apatosaurus appear to be reasonably accurate. The same can be said for the Sideshow-inspired Papo Styracosaurus. Some people suggested that Papo Styraco had a somewhat lengthier neck than usual, but that can also be said for the Kaiyodo, X-plus and Favorite versions. The Wild Safari Rhamphorhynchus seems to be lacking pycnofibres, as well. And, while the Papo Dilophosaurus' proportions might be off, the WS Dilo features pronated hands, and a dragging mouse tail of sorts (not to mention the complete lack of musculature supporting the base of the tail). Wild Safari Ceratosaurus and Acrocanthosaurus both exhibit oversized feet ('clown feet') and therefore, the proportions are not quite correct. The WS Microraptor is also the wrong color; it should don a glistening black coat, instead. The WS Triceratops is based on Jurassic Park and does not display anatomically correct feet and toes (The Kinto 'Desktop' Favorite Tri does have the correct feet, but the horn proportions might be off). Likewise, the WS Stegosaurus is not entirely accurate and may have also been inspired by JP. Almost all the CollectA theropods have shrink-wrapped skulls, and some have disturbing, glaring anatomical flaws (T-rex with Prey sports an elongated skull that most likely escaped a trash compactor)...and the Medusaceratops has ongoing beak issues.

Thus, Papo (and Schleich) are not the only mass produced toys that are exhibiting scientific inaccuracies. If anything, Papo has demonstrated a rather dramatic improvement in terms of overall quality, and they are regarded as a relatively new dinosaur line. Carnegie and WS are in the nth generation with respect to their dinosaur line; Carnegie and WS have always been regarded as "scientifically accurate" by the public, despite having a history of producing not-so-accurate models at times.

stargatedalek

I agree that up until fairly recently CollectA and WS were also not producing many accurate figures, and even recently each line does have its misses, but overall I think in terms of scientific accuracy that the other lines have improved whereas Papo are not actively trying to do so. I don't mind inaccuracy per-se, but the figure will need something else going for it. The Papo styracosaurus doesn't seem to have anything wrong with its neck, I was referring to its horns bending backwards as if they were a lions mane of sorts. As you've pointed out there are inaccurate figures from every line, whether they were simply poorly researched like the older CollectA/Procon and older Wild Safari pieces, or not meant to be accurate like the Papo JP inspired dinosaurs, or whether they became dated because of new discoveries like the Safari microraptor and (2009) spinosaurus.

Also, don't think I didn't notice you copy-pasted that quote. :P

tanystropheus

Quote from: stargatedalek on February 12, 2015, 02:09:51 AM

Also, don't think I didn't notice you copy-pasted that quote. :P

Haha, it's self-plagiarism!  :)) ;)

stargatedalek

I don't mind honestly,  I never got the chance to reply the last time ;)

I don't think that there's anything wrong with being inaccurate,  I mean the Papo archeopteryx was one of my votes for best figure of the year! There are ways a figure can be appealing besides accuracy,  so while I prefer accuracy I ultimately buy what I like aesthetically, accurate or not.

leidy

Quote from: stargatedalek on February 12, 2015, 01:33:34 AM
The Papo pieces do receive some leniency in that they are not meant to be scientifically accurate but rather meant to be sci-fi monsters.

I'd dispute that. 

While it's certainly obvious that earlier figures were Jurassic Park homages or influenced, when it comes to later figures like the Styracosaurus, the ankylosaur, the Carnotaurus and this new Apatosaurus it's quite clear that their sculptor has sought out visual reference and is trying to represent the actual animals to the best of their understanding. 

You can clearly see things are modeled to correspond to the actual morphology of the skeleton(rather than some loose notion of a quadruped with dinosaur features).  Although this is presumably someone who isn't plugged into the scientific literature or receiving all the latest thinking on the subject.

By contrast, Collecta seem to give their artists pretty good direction and commission subjects based on the most recent dinosaurs in the news, informed by the latest fossil finds, but I don't get the impression the sculpts are by artists doing their own homework.  There's a lot of wonky headsculpts and distortions that come from that.

Patrx

Papo has seen a recent, incidental increase in accuracy now that they're copying Sideshow pieces instead of Jurassic Park designs. However I have no reason to think they're actively making an attempt to visualize palaeobiological hypotheses (i.e., to make palaeoart) in the way that, for example, CollectA's been doing. Look at CollectA's plans for Spinosaurus. It's clear that, at the very least, somebody there caught an episode of Nova. There's posts all over this forum that show how much research the current sculptors for Safari and Battatt undertake in a genuine, earnest attempt to be at the cutting edge of the science.

In short, all the details in the world can't save you from a misplaced wing membrane. Or nostril :D

Blade-of-the-Moon

It's interesting..you really can't see those nostrils very well at all, oh well like I said before it amounts to a very small detail in the end and won't stop me from getting one.  Nostril placement from my research really seemed very open to interpretation...even for placing them on top of the head. I chose a middle ground for my Apatosaurs as it just made the most sense to me. 

Meso-Cenozoic

I'm with Blade. Those nostrils are so barely noticeable that I'm not even 100% sure that those are the nostrils. Haha! There looks to be lots of little curlicues in its skin's texture. In any event, it's definitely not a deal breaker for me. Like Blade, the only disappointment I have is its size. But still, it's not THAT small. Maybe if this one sells good, they might consider a full-size figure in the future.

Concavenator

Quote from: Daspletodave on February 12, 2015, 12:18:38 AM
Papo's releases are FAR superior to anything Collecta has ever done. It's not even close. For example, the Papo ceratopsians are larger and more detailed than the ones from Collecta.
But Collecta IS improving, I'll give them that much.
That's not at all true (in my opinion,so no pun intended).CollectA is the god company now,so nobody can touch them.That said,Papo has had a small decline regarding their quality which started with the Dilophosaurus.
The only (recently) bad year from CollectA was 2013.2014 and 2015?Amazing.Papo are way too conservative,or even retro.Still,I like Papo figures,but CollectA is just better in my opinion.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Concavenator on February 12, 2015, 07:02:41 AM
Quote from: Daspletodave on February 12, 2015, 12:18:38 AM
Papo's releases are FAR superior to anything Collecta has ever done. It's not even close. For example, the Papo ceratopsians are larger and more detailed than the ones from Collecta.
But Collecta IS improving, I'll give them that much.
That's not at all true (in my opinion,so no pun intended).CollectA is the god company now,so nobody can touch them.That said,Papo has had a small decline regarding their quality which started with the Dilophosaurus.
The only (recently) bad year from CollectA was 2013.2014 and 2015?Amazing.Papo are way too conservative,or even retro.Still,I like Papo figures,but CollectA is just better in my opinion.

Yes, Papo are too conservative, especially with respect to the number of dinosaurs released per year as well as the relative obscurity of species (Tupux is a start). They played it safe with Apato's size too.

How is CollectA god-tier when Wild Safari exhibits greater craftsmanship overall and offers more polished models? I suppose they are god-tier in terms of output of models per year and the tremendous consumer value that they offer. CollectA has the capacity of becoming the premier dinosaur line if they were more consistent in the execution of their models. They have produced a number of masterpieces including the Megacerops, Moropus, Deinocheirus, Therizinosaurus, Dacentrurus, Deinotherium (somewhat inaccurate, but beautiful nervertheless) and most of the marine reptiles (e.g. Temnodontosaurus, Attenborosaurus). I wish them the best. I would like to see them rise to the top, but they need to focus on quality (not quantity). Well, CollectA is doing some things right for sure (marketing?). In my last few years at DTF/dinotoyblog, Wild Safari supporters steadily increased, Papo proponents more or less tripled but CollectA fans have nearly sextupled. Schleich witnessed a rather sharp decline (at least in public opinion).

Centrosaur86

What a dwarf and bad painting... The quality of papo goes slowly but surely backward. I don't understand. Keep the quality high!! Otherwise it is done in no time with their good name.  ;)

suspsy

Quote from: tanystropheus on February 12, 2015, 01:29:42 AM
Quote from: suspsy on February 12, 2015, 01:20:52 AM
Speaking as the person who wrote that review, it's wholly unfair to claim that the Daspletosaurus is representative of CollectA theropods as a whole. What about the Bistahieversor (which I also reviewed)? Or the Carcharodontosaurus, which came in first in the Top Ten 2014 poll? Or the Therizinosaurus? And what about the hugely anticipated Feathered Tyrannosaurus Rex and Spinosaurus x 3?

I could easily list off all the glaring flaws in the Papo line, but I really don't want to. Because I like Papo in spite of them. Same as how I like CollectA in spite of their flaws. No company is ever going to be perfect.

It's a well written review. I chose that review because it includes 2 flawed theropods together in one picture. The T-rex with prey also has that very elongated somewhat compressed skull, as well.

Thank you. :)

I actually like both tyrannosaurs in spite of their shortcomings. The Daspletosaurus is gummy and goofy, but it has a certain charm to it. And the T. Rex isn't another JP ripoff, which makes me very happy. I'd probably like less if it wasn't the base version.

QuoteI have the Therizinosaurus and I have commented earlier that it easily rivals the best by Papo and Carnegie. The issue is not whether they have flaws. All dinosaur models have at least one flaw or another. Stargatedalek stated that the CollectA theropods are 'vastly' superior in accuracy, and I don't see it.  However, while it is permissable for CollectA models (or Wild Safari) to have one or two flaws, when a Papo model presents with even 1 minor flaw...it results in a general boycott of that model. I'm surprised that you don't see that dichotomy in people's attitudes regarding Papo. It seems that people hold Papos (and arguably REBORs... I suppose it makes sense with REBORs due to the premium price tag. ) to much higher expectations than any other models.

I have noticed the complaints about the nostrils, yes. Haven't noticed anything on the scale of a boycott though. I think all the top companies (CollectA, Papo, Safari, etc) are held to a very high standard. The problem is, those standards tend to vary wildly between fans. I don't mind the nostrils on the Apatosaurus myself, nor do I mind the quills on CollectA ceratopsids. OTOH, both pronated wrists and a lack of feathers are a major faux pas in my book (and yet I still own all four Papo tyrannosaurs). I'll happily argue over such features to a point, but eventually you just have to accept the fact that other people's personal opinions are every bit as strong and resilient as your own.

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Jetoar

[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Megalosaurus

Quote from: kreativtek on February 11, 2015, 07:00:07 PM
[...]@Megalosaurus, Tupuxuara may look glossy in the photos, but in reality its paint is matte.
Thank you. I'm happy about that.
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

Patrx

I think I've seen two people, including myself, say they won't be getting the Papo Apatosaurus for nostril-based reasons - hardly a boycott :) Also, in my own case, I may decide to pick it up and look into modifying it.

reinier zwanink

Interesting discussion here.
About the nostrals
I have read and was told that they still are not sure where they went , there whete even some that claim it might have some sort of trunk there
So as long as they dont find a mummy head it will stay gueswork

I personaly like a variatie of brands
Papo has some nice models that look good
Collecta has good models to but i find the colors far less
For example
There parasaurolophus looks a lot like the hydrosaur mummy (leonardo) but i like the colors that papo used on there para
But thats just my 2 cents ^-^

thelordsgym

Quote from: Patrx on February 12, 2015, 04:58:39 PM
I think I've seen two people, including myself, say they won't be getting the Papo Apatosaurus for nostril-based reasons - hardly a boycott :) Also, in my own case, I may decide to pick it up and look into modifying it.
A steady hand and tiny drill bit would do the trick to pick the exact spot you wish for the nostrils. But yes it seems as if the actual placement of where the nostrils actually were is quite controversial...as previously mentioned.

Dinomike

Oh no! I'm sad! I didn't want to spend on dinos for a while but now that these guys are out I guess I have to...boo-hoo! The new Papos are gorgeous:D
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

suspsy

If Papo were to stop aping JP and SS and really dedicate themselves to studying and reflecting the latest dinosaur discoveries and theories, a la CollectA, they'd be damned near untouchable.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

SpartanSquat

There are differences between accurate and realistic. Collecta is accurate but some models have flaws like they doint stand very well or strange detail skin. Just like Papo cloning Jurassic Park or Schleich with very bright colours. And I have to say that any company wont make 100% accurate dinosaurs, they are making a possible view of the animal. Maybe in 10 years the Papo Apatosaurus or new Collecta Spinosaurus will be outdated. Simply my friends, enjoy the figures accurate or not. I got in Christmas Sideshow Mosasaur and it doesnt have fluked tail, but is very detailed and amazing and much better than some accurate recent models.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: