News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

REBOR Club Selection: "Jolly" the hatchling triceratops!

Started by REBOR_STUDIO, December 24, 2014, 03:34:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takama

Quote from: Tyrant Lizard Queen on December 24, 2014, 11:48:55 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on December 24, 2014, 09:31:11 PM

A bit of a contradiction there don't ya think? An inaccurate model that is accurate?
No. No contradiction here. So far this is the only company atm who makes absolutely stunning museum quality replicas, that is not SS. That being said, there are ppl (including you) who talk how they might "dismiss" certain model because of some minor innacuracies. They completely ignore the fact that those sculpts are insanely detailed and look like gorgeus recreation of a real animal. Im not even talking about the fair price in comparison to SS.
Now if people bitch about such things on such beautiful replicas - how about they go and buy some cheap, mediacore detailed toys from safari or any other company who simply can't compete with Rebor when it comes to detail / sculpting. It makes me go lol when seeing how some ppl accuse companies by nitpicking bs details that wouldn't even change the overall look of the dinosaur. If you don't like or if you are poor - you simply don't buy. It's not a rocket science.

The reason we get so picky is because this is a company that's claiming museum accuracy on there models, when a lot of them have some major problems. for instance. Yutyrannus is a species that's known for having a full covering of feathers, and they create a model that's not even close to what the fossils tell us.  Also, the T.Rex is based on Jurassic Park T.Rex, its head is too boxy and there should be no bosses above its eyes. There not making museum models, there making models that they think the general puplic would be comfortable with, instead of actually educating them with an accurate model.

Tyrant Lizard Queen

Quote from: Takama on December 25, 2014, 12:03:22 AM

A bit of a contradiction there don't ya think? An inaccurate model that is accurate?
No. No contradiction here. So far this is the only company atm who makes absolutely stunning museum quality replicas, that is not SS. That being said, there are ppl (including you) who talk how they might "dismiss" certain model because of some minor innacuracies. They completely ignore the fact that those sculpts are insanely detailed and look like gorgeus recreation of a real animal. Im not even talking about the fair price in comparison to SS.
Now if people bitch about such things on such beautiful replicas - how about they go and buy some cheap, mediacore detailed toys from safari or any other company who simply can't compete with Rebor when it comes to detail / sculpting. It makes me go lol when seeing how some ppl accuse companies by nitpicking bs details that wouldn't even change the overall look of the dinosaur. If you don't like or if you are poor - you simply don't buy. It's not a rocket science.

The reason we get so picky is because this is a company that's claiming museum accuracy on there models, when a lot of them have some major problems. for instance. Yutyrannus is a species that's known for having a full covering of feathers, and they create a model that's not even close to what the fossils tell us.  Also, the T.Rex is based on Jurassic Park T.Rex, its head is too boxy and there should be no bosses above its eyes. There not making museum models, there making models that they think the general puplic would be comfortable with, instead of actually educating them with an accurate model.
lol. Yeah yutyrannus wasnt completely feathered but saying that their T-rex isnt completely accurate because its based on JP design is nothing but a complete nonsense. I guess you dont realise that Stan Winston's rex was designed as accurate as possible to the real animal (apart few mistakes like arms) and that bulky head could be explained via the fact that there are many different T-rex skulls who were different in wideness and lenght. I even made a comparison of a real skull and Rebor's head sculpt to show how well it's sculpted - check King Trex thread..). Or you simply dont like it because it's "not original" since it shares realistic head design of JP rex.

So your accusation on Rebor is nothing but laughable at best. Enjoy your typical cheap and lame detailed toys from safari or papo, I bet you can afford those! :-)

DinoLord

Quote from: Tyrant Lizard Queen on December 25, 2014, 12:34:15 AMlol. Yeah yutyrannus wasnt completely feathered but saying that their T-rex isnt completely accurate because its based on JP design is nothing but a complete nonsense. I guess you dont realise that Stan Winston's rex was designed as accurate as possible to the real animal (apart few mistakes like arms) and that bulky head could be explained via the fact that there are many different T-rex skulls who were different in wideness and lenght. I even made a comparison of a real skull and Rebor's head sculpt to show how well it's sculpted - check King Trex thread..). Or you simply dont like it because it's "not original" since it shares realistic head design of JP rex.

So your accusation on Rebor is nothing but laughable at best. Enjoy your typical cheap and lame detailed toys from safari or papo, I bet you can afford those! :-)

The JP T. rex is pretty accurate, but there are some key differences from the average T. rex skull, mainly the formosa being too bony and the lower jaw being rather squared (which I guess you could chalk up to individual variation).

But there's no need to bring others' socioeconomic status into this - after all we're all a bunch of very diverse people brought together on this forum by a mutual love of dinosaur toys/figures/statues.

Takama

Tyrant Lizard Queen

Fair enough, DinoLord. Sry, didnt wanted to look rude.

Now lets get back on topic. Why did they choose to make their new baby from polystone and not 1:35 replicas? Any ideas?

DinoLord

Quote from: Tyrant Lizard Queen on December 25, 2014, 01:02:13 AM
Fair enough, DinoLord. Sry, didnt wanted to look rude.

Now lets get back on topic. Why did they choose to make their new baby from polystone and not 1:35 replicas? Any ideas?

Glad to hear. It's easy to get into heated discussions of these matters, but the subject matter should always be the dinosaurs at hand.

As to the material, I assume it's because they're looking to push it as more of a limited collector's piece (hence the limited run) more like Sideshow.

nobunaga

baby trceps seems the 3d version of a Luis Rey drawing

Gwangi

I feel the need to respond to this given the very personal direct response you've given.  First off...it is a contradiction to say a model has minor inaccuracies and then in the next sentence claim it is "accurate, insanely detailed museum quality replicas". You're claiming the model is accurate, but has minor inaccuracies. So is it accurate or not? Now if you had said "mostly accurate" that would be a different situation, it still acknowledges the flaws. But it cannot be both accurate and inaccurate. Make sense?

Secondly, I don't think you know me well enough or have been here long enough to claim that you know much about me. If you read my reviews on the blog (and there are many) and my reactions to these models on the threads you'll notice that I highlight both the good and bad qualities. For the Yutyrannus I lamented over the lack of feathers, but I also phrased its high level of detail. So no, I do not dismiss models entirely due to inaccuracies. Check out my collection thread if you don't believe me, it's a diverse assortment of models both young and old, accurate and inaccurate. We are allowed to critique models here for whatever reason, and we shouldn't have to walk on egg shells to do it. If an inaccuracy is particularly bad I might skip out on getting it personally but I won't dismiss it entirely. Again, I'm not trying to challenge you or debate you, just hopefully teaching you a bit something about myself before you go ahead and make any more assumptions. Thank you!

And before you insult toy collectors again please keep in mind that this is the "Dinosaur TOY Forum". A lot of us collect toys exclusively, myself included. There is nothing wrong with that! We have other financial priorities (including other hobbies) as well as families to provide for. I only collect toys, because my primary hobbies are my reptiles, fish and other pets. A newly bought house, student loans, a baby on the way and a highly destructive cat all conspire against me ever buying a SS model or most "high end" models and you basically just called my entire collection "lame and cheap". Thanks for that! I realize you apologized for this already but I honestly hope you mean it. If I see it again, I'm going to report it, because it completely disregards the rules of the forum and what this place is all about.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Gwangi has a point, well many points to be honest, but we do insist on members treating each other with respect. You apologized and we accept that, but please take more care in the future.

stargatedalek

Am I the only one who's spotting a Dinosaur King influence on the rex? to me it looks like the colour palette and crests/spines are taken roughly from DK whereas the head is from JP. Regardless of originality or not I have to admit its a nice sculpt with a lot of detail, but its not particularly scientifically accurate (as not only REBOR but some members are claiming). Being an inaccurate model isn't necessarily a bad thing, it is however in contradiction to REBOR's claims regarding accuracy. When they claim their models are "museum quality" or "educational" they are raising everyone's expectations, and when they knowingly raise everyone's expectations its REBOR's own fault if people are disappointed or even angered because REBOR chose to oversell themselves.

Per this threads actual purpose; the triceratops looks cute, although IIRC the spines along the frill should not be quite so developed in a juvenile let alone a hatchling. The dromaeosaur silhouette is frankly worrying, I hope that either A) the actual piece will be properly feathered unlike the silhouette drawing, or B) REBOR will take another approach and won't oversell themselves on it by claiming scientific accuracy.

Paleogene Pals

I will be checking Everything Dinosaur early 2015 then.

triceratops83

OH. MY. GOD. Rebor, here's a blank cheque, write any number you want.

I haven't paid much attention to Rebor as of yet, since Theropods just aren't a priority for me. I was waiting for an Ornithischian. And you know what, I am now officially a fan. Better yet, Minizoo gets Rebor stock as soon as it's available. This Trike hatchling is a nice detour from what we might have expected, and I suspect this is proof that we can rely on more pleasant surprises in the future from this company.

BRAVO Rebor!
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: triceratops83 on December 25, 2014, 07:25:47 AM
OH. MY. GOD. Rebor, here's a blank cheque, write any number you want.

I haven't paid much attention to Rebor as of yet, since Theropods just aren't a priority for me. I was waiting for an Ornithischian. And you know what, I am now officially a fan. Better yet, Minizoo gets Rebor stock as soon as it's available. This Trike hatchling is a nice detour from what we might have expected, and I suspect this is proof that we can rely on more pleasant surprises in the future from this company.

BRAVO Rebor!

Somehow..I knew you'd love this one too. :)

triceratops83

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 25, 2014, 07:34:00 AM
Somehow..I knew you'd love this one too. :)

I'm already starting to have a mild panic attack when I think of the possibility of missing out. Only a thousand? :'(
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: stargatedalek on December 25, 2014, 03:30:09 AM
Am I the only one who's spotting a Dinosaur King influence on the rex? to me it looks like the colour palette and crests/spines are taken roughly from DK whereas the head is from JP. Regardless of originality or not I have to admit its a nice sculpt with a lot of detail, but its not particularly scientifically accurate (as not only REBOR but some members are claiming). Being an inaccurate model isn't necessarily a bad thing, it is however in contradiction to REBOR's claims regarding accuracy. When they claim their models are "museum quality" or "educational" they are raising everyone's expectations, and when they knowingly raise everyone's expectations its REBOR's own fault if people are disappointed or even angered because REBOR chose to oversell themselves.

Per this threads actual purpose; the triceratops looks cute, although IIRC the spines along the frill should not be quite so developed in a juvenile let alone a hatchling. The dromaeosaur silhouette is frankly worrying, I hope that either A) the actual piece will be properly feathered unlike the silhouette drawing, or B) REBOR will take another approach and won't oversell themselves on it by claiming scientific accuracy.
I agree, those are some good points.

As for the Trike baby, I'll pass. If I was looking for a Trike juvenile, I'd probably go for the Papo Triceratops baby, since I like the sculpt more and it's more affordable.

I don't expect an accurate raptor either (no disrespect or anything, but I'm being realistic here, judging from the silhouette and Rebor's track record thus far), but it would be nice to be pleasantly surprised.

amargasaurus cazaui

I am hesitant to jump into what has the looks of another drama festival here, but just a few things I made note of. I think now Gwangi might have a little better concept of how I feel when people use terms like most accurate to date etc. If something has inacuracies then it is not a museum level accurate model......nor can it be considered accurate.
  Going a step further with it, I too was offended at the comments towards Gwangi, but also the language used in the post. There are many children present in the forum, and the use of certain words and terms is somewhat poor form.
   As for the topic at hand of course, I do not as a rule collect theropods and have somewhat stayed silent on these threads. The small hatchling is a nice piece, and i tend to like anything dinosaur egg related, however I am unsure if the shape of the egg would be acurate itself, and I am somewhat certain the egg would not be smooth and should have some outward ornamentational pattern , rather than smooth. Small issue, but for a dinosaur egg collector , a somewhat noticeable issue
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

postsaurischian

(How I hate those aggressive and provocative accuracy discussions ::)!)

My eyes might not be as good as they used to be, but I do see a fluffy Utahraptor's silhouette :).
The skeletal template is perfect and (being the optimist I am) I'm hoping for a great model!!

Tyrant Lizard Queen

Quote from: stargatedalek on December 25, 2014, 03:30:09 AM
Regardless of originality or not I have to admit its a nice sculpt with a lot of detail, but its not particularly scientifically accurate (as not only REBOR but some members are claiming). Being an inaccurate model isn't necessarily a bad thing, it is however in contradiction to REBOR's claims regarding accuracy. When they claim their models are "museum quality" or "educational" they are raising everyone's expectations, and when they knowingly raise everyone's expectations its REBOR's own fault if people are disappointed or even angered because REBOR chose to oversell themselves.

Perhaps before your accuse Rebor you should do some research on the actual animal? For example T-Rex? (I agree that yutyrannus should have been fully feathered tho)

Yes they indeed make museum quality replicas that are stunning in detail and not as ridiculiously overpriced as SS. And yes Rebor's head desing having similarities to Winston's design doesnt make it any less accurate since Winston's version of a T-Rex was designed with accuracy in mind.

People who simply complain about it being "unoriginal" makes no sense because there's no such thing as originality when we talk about recreation of a real animal.

There's also some good points from a member of different forum why Stan's T-Rex might look a bit too bulky and with eye brows. - Basically because there are loads of different rex skulls with different propotions

http://jplegacy.org/board/showthread.php?t=27418&page=2 POST #19

QuoteYou're claiming the model is accurate, but has minor inaccuracies. So is it accurate or not? Now if you had said "mostly accurate" that would be a different situation, it still acknowledges the flaws. But it cannot be both accurate and inaccurate. Make sense?
Yes it makes sense if you even cared to read I wrote before. Models are insanely detailed with some really minor innacuracies (atleast T-Rex), yet they cost ton times cheaper than SS (which also have tons of innacuracies, starting with their T-Rexes and Spinosaurus) and by all means they are not toys, they are statues / decent replicas of an extinct animals. My point was that Rebor is the only company atm, after SS, who make such impressive statues - and the only company on the market who has a fair price on them. And when I speak of minor innacuracies, i speak of MINOR ones that wouldn't change the Overall look of the dino.

It's also ridiculous how many companies make load of innacurate dinos for ridiculously high price, yet people completely forget about it and tell that Rebor isn't fair with them when their products are just on a whole another level when it comes to realism / detail / sculpting / painting. People are already complaining about Utahraptor when they didn't even saw how the actual sculpt looks, lol.

Now I don't mind criticism, infact I love criticism since I hate most of the current mainstream dino figures on the market - but when I see people who just love to trash talk companies (im not talking about you) with no real evidence that could backup their "arguments", I just can't take them seriously.

amargasaurus cazaui

K someone really needs to kill the bad language quick, this is not the place for it, honestly
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: