News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

REBOR Club Selection: "Jolly" the hatchling triceratops!

Started by REBOR_STUDIO, December 24, 2014, 03:34:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pachyrhinosaurus

I had a dream last night where I bought it and had to put it together and paint it up.  ::)
But on a more serious note, aren't ornithopod ornithischian  :o eggs supposed to be spherical?
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on December 25, 2014, 12:59:04 PM
I had a dream last night where I bought it and had to put it together and paint it up.  ::)
But on a more serious note, aren't ornithopod eggs supposed to be spherical?

Yes, hence my previous comment regarding the accuracy....they most likely would definitely not be ovoid like a theropod egg, and the shell should bear ornamentation and not be so noticeably smooth. Serious issues for museum level replicas
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Gwangi

Good eye there Amarga. I don't know much about dinosaur eggs so it's not something I would have noticed and I'm glad you chimed in. That certainly sounds like a glaring issue.

All this really makes me wish I got the SS Ankylosaurus hatchling when it was available at a very reasonable price. Not that I really had a chance to get it, I believe they were already sold out when I became aware of it.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: postsaurischian on December 25, 2014, 10:52:32 AM
(How I hate those aggressive and provocative accuracy discussions ::)!)

My eyes might not be as good as they used to be, but I do see a fluffy Utahraptor's silhouette :).
The skeletal template is perfect and (being the optimist I am) I'm hoping for a great model!!
I hate to sound negative but I have my doubts as to whether the tail could bend like it was shown in the skeletal. It would have been reinforced with tendons and only flexible at the base. Just wondering.

It will probably turn out to be a cool "movie monster" though, and I'm sure the sculpt will be very nice.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Gwangi on December 25, 2014, 02:20:08 PM
Good eye there Amarga. I don't know much about dinosaur eggs so it's not something I would have noticed and I'm glad you chimed in. That certainly sounds like a glaring issue.

All this really makes me wish I got the SS Ankylosaurus hatchling when it was available at a very reasonable price. Not that I really had a chance to get it, I believe they were already sold out when I became aware of it.
I get a window now and then to offer something of use. We do not, to be quite fair, seem to have eggs for most if any ceratopsians that we can readily confirm. We do have eggs and nests that are in theory from Protoceratops, despite the entire  Oviraptor fiasco however. The two kinds of nests and eggs most likely to be from Protoceratops would either be elongated and slender, or possibly more ovoid or cone-like at one end, and narrowing to the other.Neither resembles the sculpt closely .........and regardless my comment about ornamentation stands. I own four species of egg and all hold patterning on the exterior, which serves several purposes if you understand the biology involved. To my eyes the ornamentation issue is much more serious than the shape of the egg itself...which can be argued one way or the other without definitive fossil proof.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Blade-of-the-Moon

I figured in an accurate piece the egg would need to be a little larger to accommodate the baby shown but I wrote it off to give them some leeway..other companies and artists have done the same thing before.

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 25, 2014, 02:40:44 PM
Quote from: postsaurischian on December 25, 2014, 10:52:32 AM
(How I hate those aggressive and provocative accuracy discussions ::)!)

My eyes might not be as good as they used to be, but I do see a fluffy Utahraptor's silhouette :).
The skeletal template is perfect and (being the optimist I am) I'm hoping for a great model!!
I hate to sound negative but I have my doubts as to whether the tail could bend like it was shown in the skeletal. It would have been reinforced with tendons and only flexible at the base. Just wondering.

It will probably turn out to be a cool "movie monster" though, and I'm sure the sculpt will be very nice.

Yeah..it's based on the skeletal there it won't be accurate at all..unless you want a late 90's early 2000 version of it.

Should look like this I think :

Paleogene Pals

WOW!, REBOR sure is divisive! Poor little Jolly! Just born and already getting picked on.  :'(  So it seems you either love REBOR or despise them. Since it is not 1/20, I was going to have it as just a decorative display piece, egg inaccuracies and all.

tyrantqueen

QuoteJust born and already getting picked on.
We're a Dinosaur Toy Forum, that's sort of what we do ;) I don't believe any company should be exempt from (constructive) criticism.

Tyrant Lizard Queen

I wonder how much would their 1:35 replicas increase in price if they started making them from polystone like this trice. They are already stunning in detail, but I wonder how much polystone would increase their price and weight. I know that weight wise they are already pretty heavy.

Paleogene Pals

I guess Jolly needs to be prepared for the hard life he is going to lead. I mean he will have to deal with my predators.

Tyrant Lizard Queen

Quote from: Paleogene Pals on December 25, 2014, 05:27:11 PM
I guess Jolly needs to be prepared for the hard life he is going to lead. I mean he will have to deal with my predators.
Ha. If I ordered her she would have to deal with mine Papo running and brown T-Rexes, two Sideshow T-Rexes and upcoming King T-Rex from Rebor. Also xenomorph Queen, lol :-D

Gwangi

I really don't see most of us loving or hating on REBOR, just doing what we do to all models, critiquing it. Jolly is adorable for sure, but I like knowing more about the piece beyond it's aesthetic appearance. It helps educate myself as well as force me to make an ultimate decision on whether or not I want a model. When I found out that there was a Dinosaur Toy Blog where people actually reviewed models based in a large part on their accuracy I was ecstatic! How cool is that! And reading those reviews helped me learn a lot about proper hand anatomy on theropods, sauropods and ceratopsians, feather placement and all sorts of other anatomical details I would have probably never noticed otherwise. As an example, before the DTB and DTF I never knew most Ankylosaurus models were modeled after Euplocephalus! I find that intriguing and informative and far more interesting than everyone just saying "this model is pretty, I'm going to buy it".

Paleogene Pals

I apply similar standards to my 1/20-scale kits and don't focus so much on dino figures. But, if your collection is focused on figures, then I can understand why you want a critical viewpoint.

Gwangi

I was trying to find a recent skeletal drawing of Utahraptor to compare with the one REBOR used but all I could find was Scott Hartman's drawing that even he claims is outdated. Utahraptor is currently undergoing a makeover, probably not the best choice for REBOR at this time honestly.

I did find this Velociraptor though and I think a model posed just like this would be awesome! Obviously it would need a base.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I was digging around as well..not kidding, the best I could find was his creation of a "Raptor".

Patrx

Indeed, it seems like sculpting a Utahraptor is not a great idea right now; there's evidently new info in the works that could really change the way we understand it. Maybe the silhouette is supposed to be something else? In any case, and I know I say this a lot, I am personally very tired of seeing totally exposed digits on maniraptoran wings, especially those of dromaeosaurs. I don't mean to seem unfair, but it would just be nice if someone, someday, would get it right on a mass-produced model or figure.

Tyrant Lizard Queen

stargatedalek

Quote from: Patrx on December 26, 2014, 07:42:54 AMIn any case, and I know I say this a lot, I am personally very tired of seeing totally exposed digits on maniraptoran wings, especially those of dromaeosaurs. I don't mean to seem unfair, but it would just be nice if someone, someday, would get it right on a mass-produced model or figure.
I believe Favorite Kinto is the only company to get it right consistently, but that's not to say that there aren't others (WS microraptor comes to mind) that have gotten it right

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Tyrant Lizard Queen on December 26, 2014, 09:45:10 AM
Could it be some other "raptor" specie besides Utah?

Could be Deinonychus I guess...my guess is it the head at least will look like a JP Raptor..which was basically modeled on Deinonychus. Of course that doesn't excuse all the other anatomical issues. I guess we'll see. Rebor seems , like some other companies to be focusing more of the public perception of what a certain species is rather than the science of what it really is.

Takama

Quote from: Tyrant Lizard Queen on December 26, 2014, 09:45:10 AM
Could it be some other "raptor" specie besides Utah?

If it were, then it would be an extremely small figure

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: