News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Jurassic World (Hasbro) - new for 2015

Started by EmperorDinobot, January 15, 2015, 05:22:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: CityRaptor on February 27, 2015, 08:24:39 PM
I love how the describtion uses male pronouns for her when she is female. Do they expect boys to not want this figure if it represents a female?

Probably. Executive logic.

CityRaptor

Could also be seller logic. I read something about that female figures don't sell well in the boys market....atleast not till they are out of the "girls have cooties" phase... 
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Blade-of-the-Moon

It honestly never stopped me from collecting figures I liked. But I know some still have the mentality.

Not sure how it would help in the case of a dinosaur toy..something so genderless in appearance to most. I don't really see any kids reading the package much at any rate.

CityRaptor

Now this is for sure true. They do not care what gender it is as long as it is a Dinosaur that can be used for fights! Their sister's/local Brony's talking Princess Celestia? Indominus Rex will show her who is the more powerful white monster with light and sound! Stomp and Chomp! Roooooaaaaaar! Puny Pony God!

That is atleast my interpretation how they think.
Oh no

Shadowknight1

Quote from: CityRaptor on February 27, 2015, 08:24:39 PM
I love how the describtion uses male pronouns for her when she is female. Do they expect boys to not want this figure if it represents a female?
If I recall correctly, the tendency to refer to certain species as "he" was mentioned in the novel.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Sim

Since seeing it on one of the trays(?) on the first page of this thread I thought the JW film Pteranodon might be toothless.  Now that there's a bigger picture available, yeah it really is toothless, in this picture at least.

I wonder why the toy has teeth?

Takama

Quote from: Sim on February 27, 2015, 11:49:54 PM
Since seeing it on one of the trays(?) on the first page of this thread I thought the JW film Pteranodon might be toothless.  Now that there's a bigger picture available, yeah it really is toothless, in this picture at least.

I wonder why the toy has teeth?

WHY TO MAKE IT LOOK MONSTROUS FOR THE KIDS OF COURSE :P

Blade-of-the-Moon

I'd guess Hasbro really doesn't care that much. If it superficially resembles what on screen they are good. They don't care about collectors, fans or even kids really from what I've seen.  Just toss out some junk to make a quick buck while the film is hot, when it's not it onto the next thing.

CityRaptor

They are probably just filling in till the next big movie...You know, the one where people fight eachother with lightsabers.
Although it is kinda ironic that they made toothless toys of the toothy JPIII Pteranodon and now add teeth to the toothless JW one.
Oh no

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: CityRaptor on February 28, 2015, 07:29:46 AM
They are probably just filling in till the next big movie...You know, the one where people fight eachother with lightsabers.
Although it is kinda ironic that they made toothless toys of the toothy JPIII Pteranodon and now add teeth to the toothless JW one.

Maybe someone at Hasbro has a sense of humor. They figured they added teeth in the 3rd film without telling them so they would add them in these new ones.

Honestly whoever sculpted these toys for them probably wasn't paid very much or just didn't have much skill..one or the other. So they made something without putting a lot of thought and care into it.

triceratops83

I wonder if Jurassic World had been released in a year without a Star Wars film, might we had gotten better JP figures?
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

CityRaptor

Maybe. Transformers also currently has the Combiner Wars event, so this might be another influence besides Star Wars. Also read that their current top brand is My little Pony...so lots of other things to focus on.
Oh no

suspsy

I think that if Kenner was still in existence, we'd all be raving about the cool new toys coming out this year. The difference between their JP/TLW product and Hasbro's JP3 and JW product is crazy. It's like going from eating sirloin steak with twice-baked potato to a McD's quarter pounder with dry french fries. :(
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Dinomike

I think this is where Hasbro is underestimating the child consumer. When I was a kid I fell in love with the Kenner JP dinosaurs because they looked like their movie counterparts - awesome and like real dinos! They also produced all the characters I wanted and vehicles and stuff which all were more or less movie accurate (except for skinny Dennis Nedry) and added to the playability. My son loves the CollectA Charcharodontosaurus - for its name and the cool toy that it is. Children don't necessarily need dinos to be monsters, they really are cool enough as they are.
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

suspsy

Agreed. Kids are far smarter and more receptive to new ideas than Hollywood or Hasbro gives them credit for. I'm an educator by profession. I've brought some of my feathered dinosaur figures into classrooms and the kids absolutely adored them. Indeed, they were thrilled by the revelation that birds are modern dinosaurs.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Blade-of-the-Moon

Seems more people are seeing the seam issue now..some at JPToys have even started thinking the neck at least is foam made ala Nerf products. I'm not sure of that myself, could be thin latex/rubber. Either way it won't last long in kid's hands, UV light, or hot conditions.  :/

stargatedalek

I think its probably similar to the JPCE paradeinonychus neck.

CityRaptor

Well, that could be an issue.  ( Also that kid has freaky eyes ).

Guess it won't be that I-Rex if I decide to add one to my collection...I wonder if any japanese company will make one.
Oh no

Shadowknight1

Quote from: CityRaptor on March 01, 2015, 09:31:42 PM
Well, that could be an issue.  ( Also that kid has freaky eyes ).

Guess it won't be that I-Rex if I decide to add one to my collection...I wonder if any japanese company will make one.
Kinda what I'm thinking.  I think the design is pretty darn cool but I don't want something huge and soft.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Blade-of-the-Moon

I liked the JP and TLW toys..they had a nice realistic rubber skin and very durable. The JP3 Spino seemed a bit too thin..several I saw at Walmart had rips/tears in the skin. So I've kept mine on the shelf and not played with it at all.

I'm thinking the neck material is pretty similar, I doubt it's foam but it does look to crease a lot as the feature moves..and the seams still look loose. 

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: