News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

REBOR general discussion

Started by Shadowknight1, February 01, 2015, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pylraster

If other lines could do it, then I hope Rebor can do it as well. Less-expensive packaging that is. The boxes are cool and all but eh, we can live without it. Go for the $20-30 price range, Rebor, and I think you'll be more successful in the long run.

REBOR_STUDIO

Quote from: pylraster on June 19, 2015, 08:38:10 PM
If other lines could do it, then I hope Rebor can do it as well. Less-expensive packaging that is. The boxes are cool and all but eh, we can live without it. Go for the $20-30 price range, Rebor, and I think you'll be more successful in the long run.

The purpose of packaging is to protect polystone bases, which are parts of the products, without the packaging they will just break during the transportation, plus diorama bases play a big part in REBOR collectibles, they all related to future products, King T-rex vs King Triceratops, Savage vs Ravage, Hercules vs The Cerberus clan, all planned out rom the very beginning. Also from the feedback now we can tell the price is not harming us at all, we have distributed LOTS of products globally and have already set up our prestige in the field. 

tanystropheus

Quote from: suspsy on June 19, 2015, 04:19:53 PM
Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on June 19, 2015, 03:31:32 PM
But back in March somebody else wrote:

"You people are ridiculous. How does this figure have 2 stars cumulatively? Can children be excluded from spamming their one star votes, please?

It's not perfect but damn, it's a nice figure regardless."

We have nothing to do with this comment.

But it's also possible that some people genuinely do not care for the product. Personally, I'm put off by the anatomical inaccuracies, the JP resemblance, and the price tag. I remember giving it three stars myself.

I'm not sure if it was advertised as such, but as a JP replica (aside from the red color), it is spot on, justifying a score of at least 4 or 5 stars. I'm not a fan of the base. Price tag is okay, since it "feels" closer to my Sideshow Mosasaur than my Papo T-rex. That's the inherent problem with the rating system. It doesn't take into consideration the target market or demographics. Should I be rating Playmobil and Dinosaur Train figures 1 star. I think that would be mean because I am not intended to be part of that target audience. Also, retro models are skewed positively because of the nostalgia factor.

Takama

When i rate Items on the DTB i base it on my opinion of how i like the figure regardless of the company that makes it.   Sometimes i think a figure is godawful, but i still buy it anyways in the same manner that some people buy Bad Movies.

tanystropheus

Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on June 19, 2015, 09:11:37 PM

The purpose of packaging is to protect polystone bases, which are parts of the products, without the packaging they will just break during the transportation, plus diorama bases play a big part in REBOR collectibles, they all related to future products, King T-rex vs King Triceratops, Savage vs Ravage, Hercules vs The Cerberus clan, all planned out rom the very beginning. Also from the feedback now we can tell the price is not harming us at all, we have distributed LOTS of products globally and have already set up our prestige in the field.

I think the price tag is great for the overall value. However, I would certainly like to see some of the smaller dinosaurs/pterosaurs (e.g. Anurognathus diorama) and synapsids (Edaphosaurus?) released for the $20-29 price range. For example, imagine something along the lines of the Koreaceratops diorama:
http://dinotoyblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Korea2.jpg
I think it would look like a living, breathing, ultra-realistic piece of art once it is reimagined according to the REBOR style. You can substitute
the Koreaceratops with something similar (e.g. Yinlong, Auroraceratop or Leptoceratops)

tanystropheus

Quote from: Simon on June 19, 2015, 05:56:46 PM
Yeah, the width of the head and the misplaced eyes are pretty disappointing.  I remember being quite impressed when the first photos of this puppy were released ... until I saw the head-on view ... this was a MAJOR "faux pas" on the part of the sculptor, and its fairly obvious that quality control (well, OK "accuracy control") was sorely lacking because this is a BIG inaccuracy.

I think that's the point. The T-rex and Velociraptor models are meant to be movie-monsters. It isn't a faux pas, by any means. It is what it is.  However, REBOR stated that they intend on transitioning towards making more scientifically accurate models.

REBOR_STUDIO

Quote from: tanystropheus on June 19, 2015, 09:34:12 PM

I think the price tag is great for the overall value. However, I would certainly like to see some of the smaller dinosaurs/pterosaurs (e.g. Anurognathus diorama) and synapsids (Edaphosaurus?) released for the $20-29 price range. For example, imagine something along the lines of the Koreaceratops diorama:
I think it would look like a living, breathing, ultra-realistic piece of art once it is reimagined according to the REBOR style. You can substitute
the Koreaceratops with something similar (e.g. Yinlong, Auroraceratop or Leptoceratops)

Psittacosaurus is in our plan :)

Tallin

Ah, a psittacosaurus would be amazing to see in your style! I hope it has the quills, as many find those fascinating.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on June 19, 2015, 09:43:37 PM
Quote from: tanystropheus on June 19, 2015, 09:34:12 PM

Psittacosaurus is in our plan :)
This should prove interesting to observe and watch.....look forward to further developments in this endeavor. The quill debate is not a deal  closer for me, I can do with or without, given they are known from ony one of a potential 12  or more species. Also bear in mind that as the evidence is not conclusive , given the single quilled specimen, that quills might well have been a sexual display present only in males or females for that matter....I look forward to further discussion on the entire model.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

REBOR_STUDIO

We've noticed such comment:

The only thing the Dinosaur Toy Forum cares about are scientifically accurate models. This wasnt always the case, but in recent years, this has greatly changed which is why I and many other designers and collectors stopped posting on their site. Although I do agree with the Ceratosaurus review on one point and that is the leg issue. By simply putting a piece of plastic or maybe even cardboard in between the legs of your figures, this issue wouldn't exsist. Hopefully this can be resolved in future production runs of your models. Other than that though, they're fantastic.

Yes we have our problems, but perhaps we should all think about why things have gone wrong, in order to make this forum a better place for all dinosaur enthusiasts and attract more talented artists, maybe we should allow more different voices :)

Takama

Quote from: Tallin on June 19, 2015, 10:02:07 PM
Ah, a psittacosaurus would be amazing to see in your style! I hope it has the quills, as many find those fascinating.

Yes a Smaller Species. That one down, and plans for more Rebor?  If so you might have a new Buyer of your products.

Please consider more species under 3 meters like the weird Yi qi, or the toothy Masiukasaurus.

But also consider more Obscure Cretures like Alioramus, Concavenator, and make more Herbovoires like Stegosaurus, Apatosaurus, and more Ceratopsians besides Triceratops.

If you can do all of these, you might have a new buyer.

suspsy

Quote from: tanystropheus on June 19, 2015, 09:21:33 PM

"You people are ridiculous. How does this figure have 2 stars cumulatively? Can children be excluded from spamming their one star votes, please?

But it's also possible that some people genuinely do not care for the product. Personally, I'm put off by the anatomical inaccuracies, the JP resemblance, and the price tag. I remember giving it three stars myself.

I'm not sure if it was advertised as such, but as a JP replica (aside from the red color), it is spot on, justifying a score of at least 4 or 5 stars.

That's strictly your opinion though. Me, I've grown quite bored of JP replicas, homages, and ripoffs.

QuoteThat's the inherent problem with the rating system. It doesn't take into consideration the target market or demographics.

I disagree. Anyone who reads a review from beginning to end and examines the photos should be perfectly able to determine the target demographic.

QuoteShould I be rating Playmobil and Dinosaur Train figures 1 star. I think that would be mean because I am not intended to be part of that target audience.

Correct, and you were perfectly able to deduce that fact. You are also perfectly able to tell that the Playmobil Stegosaurus is well above a dime store dinosaur toy.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

tanystropheus

Quote from: suspsy on June 20, 2015, 02:48:19 AM

I'm not sure if it was advertised as such, but as a JP replica (aside from the red color), it is spot on, justifying a score of at least 4 or 5 stars.

That's strictly your opinion though. Me, I've grown quite bored of JP replicas, homages, and ripoffs.

QuoteThat's the inherent problem with the rating system. It doesn't take into consideration the target market or demographics.

I disagree. Anyone who reads a review from beginning to end and examines the photos should be perfectly able to determine the target demographic.

Contextually, the reviews and underlying commentary and corresponding pictures are perfect and quite informative. However, I feel that the stars system can be further refined.

P.S I've been giving all your reviews "5" stars because of the quality of the information being presented, regardless of whether I actually like the figure or not.

Shadowknight1

Oh my, I wonder what Ravage could be!  As always, looking forward to Herc more than you can imagine!  Acrocanthosaurus is one of my favorite theropods along with T. rex, Utahraptor(or any dromaeosaur really), Allosaurus, and Dilophosaurus.

Also looking forward to Mosasaurus, how do you plan to make it look like it's swimming?
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

suspsy

Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on June 20, 2015, 12:59:18 AM

The only thing the Dinosaur Toy Forum cares about are scientifically accurate models.

In the first place, it's self-defeatingly obvious that that isn't the case at all. In the second place, it's very interesting how you continue to try and portray scientific accuracy as a negative.

QuoteYes we have our problems, but perhaps we should all think about why things have gone wrong, in order to make this forum a better place for all dinosaur enthusiasts and attract more talented artists, maybe we should allow more different voices :)

If different voices were not allowed here, then you would have been banned much, much sooner and permanently. You don't seem to be able to accept the fact that a great many dinosaur fans much prefer models that reflect the latest paleontological discoveries and research as opposed to outdated, inaccurate depictions. Yes, even beautifully-sculpted ones like the King Rex. Granted, there will probably always be a nostalgic market for the latter, but it really seems like you view scientific accuracy as a purely arbitrary artistic style as opposed to a reality grounded firmly in science. And your suggestion that there is something inherently wrong with the DTB simply because the two REBOR models reviewed thus far haven't received five star ratings is quite possibly the most condescending thing you've posted yet.

REBOR_STUDIO

Quote from: suspsy on June 20, 2015, 03:52:44 AM
Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on June 20, 2015, 12:59:18 AM

The only thing the Dinosaur Toy Forum cares about are scientifically accurate models.

In the first place, it's self-defeatingly obvious that that isn't the case at all. In the second place, it's very interesting how you continue to try and portray scientific accuracy as a negative.

QuoteYes we have our problems, but perhaps we should all think about why things have gone wrong, in order to make this forum a better place for all dinosaur enthusiasts and attract more talented artists, maybe we should allow more different voices :)

If different voices were not allowed here, then you would have been banned much, much sooner and permanently. You don't seem to be able to accept the fact that a great many dinosaur fans much prefer models that reflect the latest paleontological discoveries and research as opposed to outdated, inaccurate depictions. Yes, even beautifully-sculpted ones like the King Rex. Granted, there will probably always be a nostalgic market for the latter, but it really seems like you view scientific accuracy as a purely arbitrary artistic style as opposed to a reality grounded firmly in science. And your suggestion that there is something inherently wrong with the DTB simply because the two REBOR models reviewed thus far haven't received five star ratings is quite possibly the most condescending thing you've posted yet.

"You don't seem to be able to accept the fact that a great many dinosaur fans much prefer models that reflect the latest paleontological discoveries and research as opposed to outdated, inaccurate depictions. "

Why this is a fact? Do you have any evidence to prove this point? On the other hand, we hold detailed and reliable marketing research results which indicate that the majority care more about the overall appearance than scientific accuracy, otherwise we won't achieve such a big success within 10 months. It's also interesting to know that most dinosaur enthusiasts would accept both scientific accurate dinosaurs and movie monster, while a small group of people look down on people who prefer featherless dinosaurs and call them "the uneducated public". If we have to choose a side between scientific accuracy and awesomebro, we will stand together with the awesomebro group.

Suspsy, if we change our marketing method and start to call all REBOR products "super inaccurate movie monsters which are clearly not dinosaurs"  will you leave us alone? We were only trying to provide constructive suggestions with friendly attitude, you don't have to disagree with everything we said. :)

deanm

@ Rebor, I think you are painting the whole forum membership with a rather broad brush with your last statement.

My impression is that there are some rather vocal members while the vast majority of the membership have never commented positively or negatively about your company.

Until the Dimorphodon figure was announced I paid relatively little attention to this thread - as I am a pterosaur enthusiast. 

I am looking forward to seeing more about the dimorphodon figure.

Till then, cheers.

tanystropheus

I think REBOR views scientific endeavors as a process, thus they see the grander scope of things. However, having said this, I do feel that scientifically accurate models can maintain an awesomebro presence (I'm strictly applying the positive connotations of the word, 'awesomebro' here). A (theropod) model can still look quite menacing while appearing accurate (e.g. Sideshow The Tyrant King); the demeanor as it relates to the dinosaur's gaze, and the (aesthetic) demarcation of the jawline may contribute to the overall 'awesombro' appeal of a model. In short, we can have the best of both worlds. Feathered dinosaurs can also look pretty 'wicked' as evidenced by paleoart depicting terror birds.

Regarding the DTB review (the stars, that is) ...it certainly seems like an outlier when you aggregate all the reviews found in google and youtube. Even Pixel Dan gave all the REBOR models glowing reviews.

suspsy

Quote from: tanystropheus on June 20, 2015, 03:08:09 AM
Quote from: suspsy on June 20, 2015, 02:48:19 AM

Contextually, the reviews and underlying commentary and corresponding pictures are perfect and quite informative. However, I feel that the stars system can be further refined.

P.S I've been giving all your reviews "5" stars because of the quality of the information being presented, regardless of whether I actually like the figure or not.

This sounds like a topic for a thread unto itself. Perhaps you should write up a more detailed argument and post it?

And thank you for your kind words. I'm proud and happy to be a DTB reviewer.

And looking over my previous post, I just want to make this clear to everyone: I don't hate REBOR as a company. I don't care for their T. Rex and the Yutyrannus due to their many inaccuracies, but anyone can see that a lot of time and effort and genuine talent went into their creation. I think the Ceratosaurus and the Acrocanthosaurus look pretty neat, although it's a shame about the former's leg woes. I think REBOR has the potential to go a long, long way.

My issue stems entirely from the attitude REBOR Studios has displayed over the course of this thread. It's true that they've had some genuinely mean, unfair comments thrown at them, but their chosen method of fighting fire with fire has only made them look bad. And this latest controversy with their FB post claiming unfairness and spite-based ratings . . . well, as another person put it earlier, REBOR sometimes makes it very hard to like them. That's just my take on it all. Opinions can and will vary.

Tyrannosauron

Quote from: suspsy on June 20, 2015, 03:52:44 AM
If different voices were not allowed here, then you would have been banned much, much sooner and permanently.

Exactly. This call for "more different voices" is incredibly disingenuous. It's also a distraction from the more persistent issue raised again by this most recent spat: Rebor's inability to promote its own work here without also denigrating the works of others.

As Tanystropheus pointed out, mobilizing one's fans to spam an online poll is common practice these days. But there are ways to do it without also implying that the work done by Wild Safari, Battat (!), and Kaiyodo (!!) is poor or inferior. Similarly, there are ways to apologize to an artist you've slighted without quoting further criticism of that artist's work, just as there were ways of defending your work without slighting the artist in the first place.

A lot of people here have compared Rebor to Papo, fairly or unfairly, but it's Rebor's selective and inconsistent use of that comparison that's most telling. Whenever there's a straightforward comparison of Rebor to Papo the response is immediate: the comparison must be invalid because Rebor's sculpting is more finely detailed, or its casting process is higher quality, thus justifying any price difference. Whenever there's a straightforward criticism of Rebor, however, the response changes: Papo does it too! Look at Papo's running T. rex! So the comparison is valid when it deflects criticism, but invalid when it invites criticism. That's awfully convenient.

In the end these all point to a clear conclusion: it is false that Rebor's representative is here, as he or she claims, to celebrate enthusiasm for dinosaurs with the rest of us. It's false that the representative is here to celebrate enthusiasm for dinosaur toys with the rest of us. If either of those were true, then the company's standard MO wouldn't be denigration of the competition. Rebor has a representative here for one demonstrable purpose: to celebrate enthusiasm for Rebor's dinosaur toys.

It's marketing, of course, and all companies ought to engage in the practice, but let's stop pretending this representative's behavior is anything else. For my part, I'd feel a lot less condescension if the representative dropped the "we're fans just like you" act, because fans like the ones I've met here just don't behave this way.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: