News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

REBOR general discussion

Started by Shadowknight1, February 01, 2015, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

REBOR_STUDIO

Quote from: Tyrannosauron on June 20, 2015, 04:18:41 AM
Quote from: suspsy on June 20, 2015, 03:52:44 AM
If different voices were not allowed here, then you would have been banned much, much sooner and permanently.

Exactly. This call for "more different voices" is incredibly disingenuous. It's also a distraction from the more persistent issue raised again by this most recent spat: Rebor's inability to promote its own work here without also denigrating the works of others.

As Tanystropheus pointed out, mobilizing one's fans to spam an online poll is common practice these days. But there are ways to do it without also implying that the work done by Wild Safari, Battat (!), and Kaiyodo (!!) is poor or inferior. Similarly, there are ways to apologize to an artist you've slighted without quoting further criticism of that artist's work, just as there were ways of defending your work without slighting the artist in the first place.

A lot of people here have compared Rebor to Papo, fairly or unfairly, but it's Rebor's selective and inconsistent use of that comparison that's most telling. Whenever there's a straightforward comparison of Rebor to Papo the response is immediate: the comparison must be invalid because Rebor's sculpting is more finely detailed, or its casting process is higher quality, thus justifying any price difference. Whenever there's a straightforward criticism of Rebor, however, the response changes: Papo does it too! Look at Papo's running T. rex! So the comparison is valid when it deflects criticism, but invalid when it invites criticism. That's awfully convenient.

In the end these all point to a clear conclusion: it is false that Rebor's representative is here, as he or she claims, to celebrate enthusiasm for dinosaurs with the rest of us. It's false that the representative is here to celebrate enthusiasm for dinosaur toys with the rest of us. If either of those were true, then the company's standard MO wouldn't be denigration of the competition. Rebor has a representative here for one demonstrable purpose: to celebrate enthusiasm for Rebor's dinosaur toys.

It's marketing, of course, and all companies ought to engage in the practice, but let's stop pretending this representative's behavior is anything else. For my part, I'd feel a lot less condescension if the representative dropped the "we're fans just like you" act, because fans like the ones I've met here just don't behave this way.

point taken, maybe it's time for us to leave this forum for good.

Shadowknight1

If I may, Rebor, I believe your Ceratosaurus and Acrocanthosaurus go a long way towards connecting the accurate and awesomebro together.  Both of them are, by my understanding, reasonably accurate while looking menacing and terrifying.  King T-rex was obviously inspired by Jurassic Park, but I believe that Yutyrannus and Utahraptor were sort of testing the waters to see how many would buy a dinosaur with feathers, and by all indications, these two have done very well.  I can't attest to Utahraptor's accuracy though.  However, I would suggest that there is potential down the road for a full coated Yutyrannus(which you've hinted at as a "winter" version) and a more accurate T. rex, perhaps as a Queen T. rex.  After all, many model makers end up making more than one T. rex. :)  While I can't afford every REBOR product, either by money or space, I am tempted by them every time I see an awesome pic of any of them.  I love my Wind Hunter and eagerly anticipate my triplets and Hercules!
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Yutyrannus

There is one thing I must point out, one thing that tells me that this whole thing with REBOR is going too far: it seems to me that because of this whole debate with REBOR, most members of this forum have entirely missed a certain very interesting paper that was published only yesterday. Please do correct me if I am wrong, frankly I hope I am.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

REBOR_STUDIO

This is our last comment on this forum:

We love both movie monsters and scientific accurate dinosaurs, and we will keep making dinosaur replicas in both styles, however if we have to choose a side, we stand together with the awesomebro group.

Goodbye.

TJ_Terrorsaur

Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on June 20, 2015, 04:27:49 AM

We love both movie monsters and scientific accurate dinosaurs, and we will keep making dinosaur replicas in both styles, however if we have to choose a side, we stand together with the awesomebro group.

Goodbye.

That's a real shame, I loved seeing you on here Rebor.
With that said I think I'm following suit. I came here for happiness and to talk to others who, like me, loved dinosaurs. This, all of the negativity is not good for my depression.  :(

Takama

Well, The first company that Really had a Negative Experience on the forum.   And i heard that Safari might be watching those poles I made. I hope this incident did not discourage them.

If Rebor were really the fans they say they were, then why dont they show some of the other models they have that are not made by them.   Doug Watson shows off his collection of other peoples Works in the field.

If Rebor really has Safaris Ceratosaurus, then why did they not show it in a picture?

Obviously they dont give a hoot about any models but there own. And i wonder if they tend to ignore people that are even associated with this forum?  I Made Suggestions of species on there Facebook page, and i never got a response. I did the same on STS and never got a response.   Are they ignoring me due to my connection to this Forum? or is it something more innocent.

Either way, we dont need the kind of crap that Rebor has given to our blog with that Post that i Had to screen cap and save to my computer just in-case they decided to hide it. I love the Blog, and we dont need A bunch of Rabid Hot headed type (notice i said TYPE, if your not that type, im not speaking of you) of fans to down vote other works just to make the Rebor Products look more AWESOME.

That is all im willing to say. Admins, if i broke any rules with this post. im sorry

tanystropheus

It would be nice if this forum could retain representatives from the industry.
We've lost Anthony Beeson, and we've lost the good folks from Mojo, as well.
Now, we've lost REBOR.
It is always nice when representatives are so transparent, and willing to communicate and share their ideas. It's a surreal process that gives us a glimpse into their world and artistic schema. But, there are dangers to transparency. We begin to feel entitled. We take things for granted. And, we begin instilling our perspectives and (perhaps, flawed?) marketing philosophy onto our guests.
Best of luck, REBOR. I am a fan of movie monsters and accurate dinosaurs (that's why I love Papo). I will continue to collect these exceptional artistic masterpieces.

Simon

I agree with what Takama, Suspsy and (especially) Tyrannosauron said.

Reading these threads over the past year has often been like watching someone's teeth getting pulled. Excruciating, even if one was not a direct participant. 

tanystropheus

Quote from: Takama on June 20, 2015, 05:31:00 AM

If Rebor really has Safaris Ceratosaurus, then why did they not show it in a picture?

This is an unnecessary and silly request, in my opinion. I have a lot of figures that I haven't publicly shown. I get lazy, I get distracted. I would love to photograph all of my collection. I haven't shown any of my Safaris in this updated DTF. I will eventually.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Simon on June 20, 2015, 05:40:12 AM

Reading these threads over the past year has often been like watching someone's teeth getting pulled. Excruciating, even if one was not a direct participant.

They are interesting threads, that give a glimpse into our thought processes. I find it amusing, and non-excruciating, but then again...I have a medley background in marketing, social sciences, and healthcare...

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Simon on June 20, 2015, 05:40:12 AM

Indeed.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

amargasaurus cazaui

Plus side,we have found something Rebor is quite gifted at manufaturing in the process....drama!!!
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Simon

Arul

Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on June 20, 2015, 04:27:49 AM

Goodbye.

:'(

stargatedalek

Calling other members "haters" is definitely not the kind of language that will make anything better. Just when it seemed as though Rebor was possibly going to settle down, they even apologized for their facebook add, and then they went and posted those negative comments about the community. There was really no reason for them to do that, and I can't imagine any other outcome than the rebuts they received after posting those comments/quotes. If they think they can come and post negative comments like that about this community, and then accuse us as a community of attacking them, well it's probably best that they left.

Appalachiosaurus

I think leaving this site is good for Rebor, their representative was good at brewing up the waters and the last thing people like is uncertainty. Maybe with all the controversy gone, we can actually start enjoying Rebor's products without feeling like we are encouraging this behavior.

tanystropheus

Quote from: stargatedalek on June 20, 2015, 07:26:34 AM
Just when it seemed as though Rebor was possibly going to settle down, they even apologized for their facebook add, and then they went and posted those negative comments about the community. There was really no reason for them to do that, and I can't imagine any other outcome than the rebuts they received after posting those comments/quotes. If they think they can come and post negative comments like that about this community, and then accuse us as a community of attacking them, well it's probably best that they left.

You make some good points. However, our forum definitely has some of the most critical of critics. It's probably due to the overall level of education of our members. It would be nice if we are a bit more casual and laid back about things as the underlying atmosphere is sometimes tense . On the plus side, DTF has almost 0% vulgarity and profanity due to wonderful and professional moderators.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Appalachiosaurus on June 20, 2015, 07:49:45 AM
I think leaving this site is good for Rebor, their representative was good at brewing up the waters and the last thing people like is uncertainty. Maybe with all the controversy gone, we can actually start enjoying Rebor's products without feeling like we are encouraging this behavior.

They still have plenty of opportunities for promotion via Instagram, Facebook or even if they decide to start a personal blog. However, perhaps, as you've stated, their absence might encourage paradoxical enjoyment of their products? We might view the models, objectively.

Shadowknight1

Eh.  All I know is that I still plan on buying some of their products and no one can convince me not to.  I'm not one to "vote with my wallet" as I do sometimes buy things from companies that I don't exactly like or agree with what they say or do.  Nintendo is a good example.  I love Nintendo and I love their games, but they occasionally make bonehead decisions.  Another is EA.  I can't stand the way EA does business, but I can't deny that some of the games that they publish are really good, like Mass Effect and the upcoming Star Wars Battlefront.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

tanystropheus

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on June 20, 2015, 08:10:46 AM
Eh.  All I know is that I still plan on buying some of their products and no one can convince me not to.  I'm not one to "vote with my wallet" as I do sometimes buy things from companies that I don't exactly like or agree with what they say or do.  Nintendo is a good example.  I love Nintendo and I love their games, but they occasionally make bonehead decisions.  Another is EA.  I can't stand the way EA does business, but I can't deny that some of the games that they publish are really good, like Mass Effect and the upcoming Star Wars Battlefront.

Agreed. I also don't believe that the 'vote with my wallet' policy pertains to me. It simply inconveniences me and gives rise to a level of cognitive dissonance.  EA was given the title of "Worst Company in America" in 2012 and 2013 but then they create gorgeous gems like, "Unravel". Why would I (intentionally) deprive myself of enjoying games like Unravel or Mass Effect or Star Wars Battlefront? I also agree with your assessment of Nintendo. I've purchased every Nintendo console (and portable) during launch since the N64 (I also owned the SNES and NES). I think they've been out-of-touch with gamers with the Wii U (especially with respect to advertisement and marketing) and I have a feeling that they want to secretly abandon their current console in favor of the upcoming NX. However, I continue to enjoy a good fraction of Nintendo products, and their delusional policies will not deter me from having an otherwise enjoyable experience.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: